Swapping SE tail lights out with Titanium lights

fuss

I am wondering if anybody had done this yet? I have a SE Hybrid and I really like the tail lights on the Titanium model. I honestly thought it would cost maybe $1000 to swap them out but after checking with the dealer I found out it will be $1470 just to get the parts in my hands. I would want then dealer to install no matter how simple it may be. But that is my next question - is it a simple swap out?

And is $1470+ really worth the upgrade to the tail lights? I think it makes the car have a newer car look at night than the SE lights do.

Edit part numbers and price:

DS7Z13404B - $244.12

DS7Z13404D - $423.87

DS7Z13405D - $440.23 ( no idea why this one is more)

DS7Z13405B - $244.12

Plus local sales tax of $118.33 total of $1470.67

Oh and the SE versions are MUCH cheaper so selling my current lights would not bring much money, if I could even sell them.

Edited by fuss

DS7Z*13404*D 279.75

DS7Z*13404*B 150.58

DS7Z*13405*D 290.55

DS7Z*13405*B 150.58

Just around $870.

Where did you find these prices? I ask because I got my quote from my dealership parts dept. They even printed it out for me. If I can get the parts for that price that really changes things.

I'm pretty sure those cheaper prices listed are the low series regular lights. For full LED the original 1400 you found is about right. Even though the part numbers look the same, they are in fact different. If you go to for fordparts.com you will see both the high and low series with the same part designation.

Edit: sorry was on my phone last night, the link should have been for fordparts.com not departs lol.

Edited by jinx8402

Wow. That's hardcore cash, plus install. And that's if it would actually work. I say it's better to enjoy the car as it is! If you can afford $2000.00 for taillights, you could have afforded the Titanium in the first place, and got all the other Titanium equipment for free!

I'm pretty sure those cheaper prices listed are the low series regular lights. For full LED the original 1400 you found is about right. Even though the part numbers look the same, they are in fact different. If you go to for departs.com you will see both the high and low series with the same part designation.

The new Ford parts catalogs are VIN driven now. So if you want something off a higher trim car you need the VIN# off a car w/that feature. I gave the guy a few Ti VIN's to confirm. I'll find out today but he was giving me the price for the higher $$ tails.

The new Ford parts catalogs are VIN driven now. So if you want something off a higher trim car you need the VIN# off a car w/that feature. I gave the guy a few Ti VIN's to confirm. I'll find out today but he was giving me the price for the higher $$ tails.

Same story here, gave the parts guy the vin to a titanium model that was on the lot and he gave me the prices. He did confirm these were the ones with the LEDs and he saw the other models that were less. I really wish I had him give me price quotes for both so I could see if the part numbers were different. It makes no sense if there are 2 different versions with the same part number. That would cause too many issues I would think. I will do a deeper dive into this on Monday. $1400 is a tad much, $800ish is something I would pull the trigger on real quick.

That's not the full part number, its just the number in the catalog to represent what the part is. Whether you get the high or low series those numbers represent that they are tail lights. If you look at other cars that have HID options for the front lights you will see the same thing.

From ford, you are looking at 1400+ just for the parts, no way around that.

That's not the full part number, its just the number in the catalog to represent what the part is. Whether you get the high or low series those numbers represent that they are tail lights. If you look at other cars that have HID options for the front lights you will see the same thing.From ford, you are looking at 1400+ just for the parts, no way around that.

Plus i have not seen any advisement that they are simply plug and play, so probably some programming/coding needed.

• 1 month later...

Hello all...since I wanted a manual trans, I had to order an SE, and thus also got the less-cool taillights. Do we have a decision on the most accurate part numbers? I'm considering getting only the outers on each side, and not the trunk pieces. Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Can you see the difference when looking at the tail lights when not illuminated?

During the daytime there is no difference.

This is a picture of the Ti lights on a SE. The inner light works the same during the night as the SE. The outer ring light is on at night.

photo1.jpg

Here are the correct part numbers for the Ti, with list pricing. I talked my dealers parts dept into a 20% discount off the $1320.40 list price.

DS7Z-13405-B $228.15

DS7Z-13404-B $228.15

DS7Z-13404-D $423.87

DS7Z-13405-D $440.23

Total $1320.40

It was a easy swap less than 1 hour total.

Edited by Gkinla

During the daytime there is no difference.

This is a picture of the Ti lights on a SE. The inner light works the same during the night as the SE. The outer ring light is on at night.

photo1.jpg

Here are the correct part numbers for the Ti, with list pricing. I talked my dealers parts dept into a 20% discount off the $1320.40 list price.

DS7Z-13405-B $228.15

DS7Z-13404-B $228.15

DS7Z-13404-D $423.87

DS7Z-13405-D $440.23

Total $1320.40

It was a easy swap less than 1 hour total.

So there's no way to tell the difference when looking at the lens while not lit up? Drat...that makes it hard to tell online or from a junkyard...

The pic also doesn't show up on my computer. It shows with the little "x" that is doesn't work.

Edited by hybridbear

So there's no way to tell the difference when looking at the lens while not lit up? Drat...that makes it hard to tell online or from a junkyard...

The pic also doesn't show up on my computer. It shows with the little "x" that is doesn't work.

Take another look, I hope I fixed the picture.