Ford Motor Company April 2013 Sales Report / Charts

That's a lot of cash for a pony car.

IMHO, you get what you pay for. When you pay for a 5.0 you get super-pony car performance. Same for Camaro. If regular "pony car" performance is your desire, the current V-6 Mustang with the track pack exceeds the performance of maybe 75% of all "pony cars" ever built to date. And V-6 Mustangs aren't a lot of cash, if you option wisely. :)

IMHO, you get what you pay for. When you pay for a 5.0 you get super-pony car performance. Same for Camaro. If regular "pony car" performance is your desire, the current V-6 Mustang with the track pack exceeds the performance of maybe 75% of all "pony cars" ever built to date. And V-6 Mustangs aren't a lot of cash, if you option wisely. :)

You and your silly logic and facts........

Excatly...it was less then 10 years ago when the Cobra didn't even have 400 HP. Heck outside of the Camaro (which is priced nearly the same) how many other cars can you touch that have 400+ HP that start at 30K

30K isn't alot of money for car these days...the avg transaction price of a car is $26K or so.

Everything gets more expensive...hopefully your income keeps up with it.

It's not really a "super pony car" if all the competition has roughly the same stats. In my opinion the v6 was always the lower level, gt was the regular level, and the Shelby, boss, etc were the "super" ponies. The base gt is 30900. It wasn't too long ago that it was around 25-26k for the base and you could pick one up for around 22-23k on x plan. You can buy a lot of cars for 31k these days.

With that being said, its just a sign of the times. All the safety features and electronic options that people demand along with inflation have made the prices go up.

• Like 1

It's not really a "super pony car" if all the competition has roughly the same stats. In my opinion the v6 was always the lower level, gt was the regular level, and the Shelby, boss, etc were the "super" ponies. The base gt is 30900. It wasn't too long ago that it was around 25-26k for the base and you could pick one up for around 22-23k on x plan. You can buy a lot of cars for 31k these days. With that being said, its just a sign of the times. All the safety features and electronic options that people demand along with inflation have made the prices go up.

"All of the competition" these days amounts to 2 other cars though: the Camaro and the Challenger. To get the amount of power the Mustang offers these days in just about anything else you're going to have to look at far more expensive luxury cars.

The base gt is 30900. It wasn't too long ago that it was around 25-26k for the base and you could pick one up for around 22-23k on x plan.

Why would you buy a base GT? Its pretty obvious that the market wants better optioned out cars and aren't going to settle for stripper specials anymore.

Oh if want one bad enough, buy a used one...you'll save even more $$$ if 30K is too rich for your blood.

I don't think it's a case of "too rich for your blood" in some cases at least. It's more like why pay $30,000+ for a vehicle that will be worth $15,000 in two years. Let the stupid sucker that paid $35K for the thing go underwater and then pick up two year old vehicle for half price while the dummy that bought new takes the big depreciation hit. New vehicles aren't investments, they are money pits for losers. And the more luxuurious the vehicle, the bigger the hit you take. No wonder so many are in such tough financial shape. Advertising/marketing is getting stupid people to buy what they don't need and probably can't afford. And by stupid, I mean just financially stupid. Minimalism is not a character flaw, but being ostentatious is arguably a character flaw. So yeah, buying used shows some financial acumen especially if you can buy the new vehicle twenty times over without breaking a sweat.

• Like 2

New vehicles aren't investments, they are money pits for losers.

I'm sure that those lucky people who never sold their COPO Chevies or their BOSS 429s would be sure to agree with you, lol. Just guessing, but original Hemi-Cuda owners probably smile a lot, too.

While most cars are not investments, they are not necessarily "money pits for losers", people have a whole range of reasons for buying new. For them, the added cost may be seen as the value of a new-car warranty, or the social value of the latest, brand-new and shiny, or the latest performance technology advantage. To you, they are "losers", to them, you are the loser in the ghetto-cruiser.

It's all about perspective. As you may be aware from the continued efforts of others here, yours tends to be rather myopic, kinda like a fun-house mirror. :)

• Like 1

Looking forward to buying a 2014 Mustang early next year when incentives and X-plan prices try and keep sales up after the unveiling of the 50th Anniversary model.

The buzz, and pent up demand for the NEW Stang should make sales slow down a lot for the 2014s.

Any guesses on when we get a peek at the 50th? If they wait till next April on the anniversary date, how long does it take till Job 1 cars are in showrooms? Or is April 2014

going to be the rollout, and we'll see prototypes at car shows in next winter? If they wait till April 2014 to debut, they won't be in showrooms till August? You can't produce

production cars in any numbers without pictures getting out.

Any guesses on when we get a peek at the 50th? If they wait till next April on the anniversary date, how long does it take till Job 1 cars are in showrooms? Or is April 2014

going to be the rollout, and we'll see prototypes at car shows in next winter? If they wait till April 2014 to debut, they won't be in showrooms till August? You can't produce

production cars in any numbers without pictures getting out

Good question....I wonder if Ford will show the Mustang off next January at the NAIAS or wait till April of next year at the NYIAS to show it off. I'd say that there really isn't any good reason why the car can't be on the lots of before the end of summer of 2014 (which is primary Mustang selling season).

Yeah, that's not offensive or anything. :chairshot:

Somebody needed to buy your 11 year old Taurus new at some point so you could enjoy that awesome ride today.

And when they don't, the prices of used cars rise, as we've seen over the last decade: ALG predicted residuals on three-year-old midsize sedans are up "from the upper 30-percent range before 2006MY to over 45% for 2008MY, with a peak for 2011MY of 48% of MSRP". (http://automotivedigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ALG-Industry-Report-July-Aug-2012.pdf)

There will always be people willing to pay the new car premium, and there will always be people who think the first group are suckers. And never the twain shall meet.

• Like 1

There will always be people willing to pay the new car premium, and there will always be people who think the first group are suckers. And never the twain shall meet.

I've purchased both. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I bought my Mazda6 used, simply because I wanted a daily driver to take my Mustang off the road most of the time. I wasn't all that concerned about which vehicle it was. As long as it was decent and affordable. I wasn't far removed from college and my income wasn't all that spectacular.

I bought my Edge new, because I fell in love with it. Of course it was a dumb, emotional response, but I never look back and say "darn, I should have waited a year" because I would have gone that entire year without enjoying every day of ownership I've had in that time. Yes, it cost more, but it was worth every penny extra to me.

I bought my Cobra new also, but I was 19, dumb, and had a load of cash piled up because I hadn't faced the realities of the world yet and still lived in my parents' basement. :hysterical:

The rest of the cars on my list were family hand-me-downs, so they don't really count.

I don't think it's a case of "too rich for your blood" in some cases at least. It's more like why pay $30,000+ for a vehicle that will be worth $15,000 in two years. Let the stupid sucker that paid $35K for the thing go underwater and then pick up two year old vehicle for half price while the dummy that bought new takes the big depreciation hit. New vehicles aren't investments, they are money pits for losers. And the more luxuurious the vehicle, the bigger the hit you take. No wonder so many are in such tough financial shape. Advertising/marketing is getting stupid people to buy what they don't need and probably can't afford. And by stupid, I mean just financially stupid. Minimalism is not a character flaw, but being ostentatious is arguably a character flaw. So yeah, buying used shows some financial acumen especially if you can buy the new vehicle twenty times over without breaking a sweat.

To their credit (pun intended) ;), sub prime customers - among others - prefer to purchase Ford Mustangs used. Additionally, the majority of the ten used vehicles that such customers purchase in largest numbers have relatively low resale values, which is generally favorable for the used car buyer. The information below is from carfinance.com.

rRxFMFk.jpg

As someone who has had Family Members in New Car Dealership Ownership, 50 years ago I was told, it was futile and frustrating to switch a Car Buyers buying habits around. For the most part, baring a sudden change in either employment or financial conditions, "New" Car Buyers are New Car Buyers and Used Car Buyers are Used Car Buyers, period! Since there is (always) much more Profit in re-selling a late Model "Used Car", why would a New Car Dealer attempt to convince a potential Used Car Buyer to buy (new) when the Profit margins are so slim and they are probably Trading in a much older Vehicle which is probably going to the Auto Auction to be Wholesaled off anyway? As they always remind you at the Auto Auctions, "Everyone Drives A Used Car"! Once the New Car hits the curb leaving the Dealership, "It`s Used"!

I understand the financial differences and impacts but still choose to buy all my primary vehicles new. I like having the latest gadgets and styling and I'm willing to pay for it but I'm also under no illusion that I'm saving money by doing it. To me it's worth the cost. If I didn't care about styling or the latest gadgets then I'd be buying 2-3 yr old used vehicles as well. If I ever get that 2013+ porsche boxster I have my eye on it will be used because I can save $30K or so. If I buy a pickup as a 3rd vehicle it will certainly be used.

I understand the financial differences and impacts but still choose to buy all my primary vehicles new. I like having the latest gadgets and styling and I'm willing to pay for it but I'm also under no illusion that I'm saving money by doing it. To me it's worth the cost. If I didn't care about styling or the latest gadgets then I'd be buying 2-3 yr old used vehicles as well. If I ever get that 2013+ porsche boxster I have my eye on it will be used because I can save $30K or so. If I buy a pickup as a 3rd vehicle it will certainly be used.

If everyone was simply interested in saving money, we wouldn't spend the extra money on a lot of things in our lives. Do we NEED that 61" TV when a 35" will do the job? Do our kitchens need stainless steel refrigerators when olive green appliances from 1974 still keep your food cold?

Buying a new vehicle a cost-benefit analysis just like every other purchase we make. Some people just weigh the benefits differently.

If everyone was simply interested in saving money, we wouldn't spend the extra money on a lot of things in our lives. Do we NEED that 61" TV when a 35" will do the job? Do our kitchens need stainless steel refrigerators when olive green appliances from 1974 still keep your food cold?

Buying a new vehicle a cost-benefit analysis just like every other purchase we make. Some people just weigh the benefits differently.

Exactly. I'll buy a new car but I won't spend $10K on a stereo system for the home theater because I can't tell the difference between my $3K system and a $10K system.

Exactly. I'll buy a new car but I won't spend $10K on a stereo system for the home theater because I can't tell the difference between my $3K system and a $10K system.

And I won't spend $3k on a home stereo/surround sound system because I can't tell the difference between it and my $500 system. Well, that and I chose not to try out the $3k system to be SURE I couldn't tell a difference. :)

And I won't spend $3k on a home stereo/surround sound system because I can't tell the difference between it and my $500 system. Well, that and I chose not to try out the $3k system to be SURE I couldn't tell a difference. :)

Yep and I don't want my friends pointing out the nuances because once I did hear them it would probably bug me.

You can put together a super nice system for $1500 with a low end Denon receiver and a set of small PSB speakers and sub that will blow away most higher end ($2k-$3K) systems including Bose (better sound through marketing).

I have an audiophile friend who spent $100 getting 2 speaker wires reterminated and he uses ceramic Y things to hold the speaker wire off the carpet so it doesn't pick up static electricity. Then again he also sits in one chair in exactly the same spot between the speakers.

Anybody who spends less than me is unworthy and anyone who spends more is an idiot. Isn't that how it works?

Yep and I don't want my friends pointing out the nuances because once I did hear them it would probably bug me.

You can put together a super nice system for $1500 with a low end Denon receiver and a set of small PSB speakers and sub that will blow away most higher end ($2k-$3K) systems including Bose (better sound through marketing).

I have an audiophile friend who spent $100 getting 2 speaker wires reterminated and he uses ceramic Y things to hold the speaker wire off the carpet so it doesn't pick up static electricity. Then again he also sits in one chair in exactly the same spot between the speakers.

Anybody who spends less than me is unworthy and anyone who spends more is an idiot. Isn't that how it works?

I usually watch movies on my laptop with the audio going through the PC speaker. :runaway:

I usually watch movies on my laptop with the audio going through the PC speaker. :runaway:

My wife would probably do that. She says the theater is "too loud" which is silly because it's not any louder than the actual movie theater but that's ok. I actually have better sound in my theater because it's so much smaller and more focused, especially with the new Blu-Ray audio formats.

Oh yeah, and most of the time they are being streamed from Netflix. :hysterical:

I have ripped nearly all of our DVD's to the hard drive on my server, so that my kids can stream them at will to their tablets. I also use the UPNP/DLNA feature on our DVD player and XBox to watch them, so, yeah, while quality is important, I take the convenient approach, and there's definitely no way I would be able to tell the difference on higher quality stuff.

I do love the difference a good ($500 is good for me :)) surround sound system makes over the tinny standard TV speakers, though.