Time for new tires - any recommendations? 07 GT

Torren

Hi everyone,

Our 07 GT Convertible is due for a new set of tires. I'm tempted to just get another set of Pirelli PZero Neros (the ones it came with, that've taken us about 90,000km/55,000 miles) as they've served us well. We drive about 12,000k/7,500m a year, and sadly most of that is commuting at 50kph/35mph or less. We probably don't ever go faster than 130kph/80mph when we do find a stretch of freeway.

We've got a set of winter tires, and we're in rainy Vancouver, so wet handling is more of a factor than ice/snow.

I'm not a tire guy, so I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on what I might consider.

cheers,

Torren

Yokohama YK 580's!!!!!!!!!! I cannot say enough good about these, been running them on several vehicles for several years- a square/perf look/design, excellent traction (wet/dry), nice ride, nice steering control/feel and really great wear!

I run these on my wifes 1997 Cougar Sport (V8) & my Mark LT.....I use to be a BFG fan until the mid 90's, then the QA bit the dust...switched to Yokohama sport series (AVID, etc) and have been very pleased. I have run the cougar up to 80 mph in road courses & 117 mph on the straights....very stable....I would run them next to comparable Michelin/Pirelli's any day of the week.

IIRR America Tire Company is the main distributor for these....they are also about 20-30% less than Michelin/Pirelli

• 4 weeks later...

Check tire rack surveys and reviews for sure!

I have an '04 GT and drive it year round in Wisconsin Winters and summers. I have been through many sets of tires over the years and have to say Michelin seems to be the best right now. In a summer tire wet handling is number one for me also and I have found it worth it to spend a little more and get the Michelins. Since you are only putting 8K miles a year on your summer tires tread wear should not be an huge issue.

It's always driven me crazy that America's original "Pony Car" is shipped with Perelli tires on the GT series! I've always been a big fan of the Goodyear Eagle tires and there's a lot of Eagle versions available specific to a wide variety of performance specifications.

I second rodmoe's recommendation of Continental ExtremeContact DW. My buddy replaced the OE runflats on his E90 BMW 3-Series with ExtremeContact DW and realized noticeable gains in handling, ride quality, quietness, and fuel economy.

• Like 1

I second rodmoe's recommendation of Continental ExtremeContact DW. My buddy replaced the OE runflats on his E90 BMW 3-Series with ExtremeContact DW and realized noticeable gains in handling, ride quality, quietness, and fuel economy.

Most run-flat tires are a compromise of everything, so that's not really a surprise.

I recently replaced my tires and was surprised at how much everyone wanted for 17" Z-rated tires. Prices averaged 800-900 for a new set.... I ended up getting a set of Tiger Paw GTZ all season tires. They are actually stickier than the Pirelli P-Zero's that were originally on the car. Whether or not they last a long time, I cannot vouch for, as I only drive 3000-4000 miles per year. The only reason I replaced the original Pirelli's on my '06 was because they were starting to crack from age, not because of wear. =)

I run the DWS on my Mustang and I love them and I'm on my second set. I'm getting a set to replace the Eagles on my SHO (which aren't too bad of a tire...but I need an all season tire since I drive year round in it)

• 4 months later...

Depends on what you are doing with your Mustang? Is it kept stock? Do you run it year round? Do you drive in the rain? I currently have Nitto 555's on mine sized at 235's in the front and 255's in the back on an 18" wheel. Traction is great. I try not to drive in the rain but if I do get stuck in the rain, I am not worried about traction. However my car is not an all season vehicle and stays in the garage during the fall-spring weather.

I can tell you to stay away from Eagle's. Those are terrible. Some of my friends that use their cars year around, run Continental's at their mustangs and have had good results.