Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

BORG

2014 Ford Fusion Changes (adds 1.5L EcoBoost engine, Cooled Seats, Heated Wheel)

Who actually bought them?

:salute: I did. It's not going to win a lot of stop light races, but that's not what I bought it for. I can't remember the last time I had to go WOT to get where I was going. I might prefer an 08-09 Taurus with the 3.5, but the '10 Taurus restyle destroyed most all the things I loved about the previous generation.

I also drive a 146hp Thunderbird and don't find it particularly slow. My 100hp Ranger is slow, but I forgive every time I get 27-28mpg.

The 08-09 Taurus, although it had something like a 50 HP bump over the Five Hundred, is only .2 seconds faster in the 0-60 times. So it won't feel like huge power bump by any means.

Not that there's anything wrong with either car. I have the 2007 Montego with the 3.0. I'm satisfied...

Sucks there is no Fusion ST this year with associated proper manual transmission. Yawn on everything else mentioned.

Sucks there is no Fusion ST this year with associated proper manual transmission.

No engine to make it a proper Fusion ST....yet....and I doubt we'll see a stick with AWD from Ford...I don't think they'll go the revoknuckle route either with the car.

I wonder if the Fusion ST is going to wait for a MCE? I assume the 2.3L/2.7L will be arriving with the 2015 Taurus/MKS/Edge/MKX, probably not the MKC.

I wonder if the Fusion ST is going to wait for a MCE? I assume the 2.3L/2.7L will be arriving with the 2015 Taurus/MKS/Edge/MKX, probably not the MKC.

The other thing that might throw a curveball out there...with the Taurus going to CD4....why bother with a slightly smaller ST Fusion when you most likely have a Taurus SHO?

I'm thinking the new 2.3L will debut on the Mustang and Focus RS first....

Fusion is selling so well t the moment, can you blame Ford for being full speed ahead with I-4 EB and hybrids?

Over 30,000 sales last month and not a V6 in sight...

Edited by jpd80

Does the additional power hurt the car when it comes to MPG? Not really.

why does the Focus St have lower fuel economy than the regular focus?

The Focus when compared with less powerful engines used in the Civic and even the Mazada3 does not match those cars.

It would be a more appropriate comparison of how much better the economy if we had a 140hp GDI 1.8 to compare with the 160hp GDI2.0, but we Don't the TIVCT1.6 is not an apples to apples comparison with the GDI2.0

In real world economy the more powerful engine tends to consume more fuel not less fuel you could make a case that if you overdrive the engine more you can make up those losses,but there are limits to that strategy.

Why complain about it when you can have your cake and eat it too?

because the idea is that there isn't anything to be gained by decreasing HP, while arguing there isn't anything lost by increasing HP, is not true. The fact is ford wouldn't lose sales if they offered a class standard 140hp base engine, the 2.0 is only being used because it provides Economies of Scale with the EB20 and is a lower cost option than the EB1.6 and likely the EB1.0

I don't think anyone is willing to take less power unless they get a significant increase in MPG...like 5 MPG or better. Thus why we don't see auto manufactures doing this. Detuning engines isn't going to increase MPG's

Buyer will always take as much power as you will give them, left unchecked we all would be driving 300hp cars. but even for minute increases in economy buyer are choosing to buy lower powered cars.

Manufactures are downsizing not detuning their engines.

the EB16 vs the EB20 only yields an additional combined 2 MPG, the EB35 only yields 1 combined MPG better than the 5.0 yet ford still offers and buyers are buying the EB16 and the EB35.

the irony about the "integrated exhaust manifold" is that Honda has been doing this on the civic since 2008.

I see the EB1.5 as a bridge from the EB1.0 to the EB2.3. The clutched Water pump, and the inter-cooled intake. are upgrades to the EB10, while the EB 2.3 should add water-cooled EGR, electro-actuated TIVCT, and electronic Engine mounts.

Its good to see a Focus on thermal management even with grille shutters these engine have issues getting up to temperature and Staying at temperature under light loads, i'd imagine the clutched water pump is an interim measure until the belt driven pumps are replaced with electric water pumps.

Edited by Biker16

Electric water pumps? Wow, that would be sad. Water pump is one accessory part on the engine you usually don't worry about until after 100K.

why does the Focus St have lower fuel economy than the regular focus?

Because its a "performance" variant of the Focus? It only has 65 more or so more HP then the lesser Foci models

the EB16 vs the EB20 only yields an additional combined 2 MPG, the EB35 only yields 1 combined MPG better than the 5.0 yet ford still offers and buyers are buying the EB16 and the EB35.

Not the best of examples....what is the dealer stocking levels? Given that most Fusion sales are 1.6L SE models vs Ti models, there is going to be skew in the sales numbers.

Electric water pumps? Wow, that would be sad. Water pump is one accessory part on the engine you usually don't worry about until after 100K.

electric water-pumps, AC, Power steering, etc

the issue is engine heat does not increase with engine speed, so having a fixed amount of cooling available at a fixed engine speed means you are over cooling the engine and wasting power pumping water around a closed thermostat. Using a better cooling system means Ford can increase compression ratios without resorting to fuel dumping to decrease cylinder temperatures.

Even Superchargers will be electric soon.

Because its a "performance" variant of the Focus? It only has 65 more or so more HP then the lesser Foci models

It has 90 more HP than the base focus models.

the St proves Your point and disproves Your point.

the St is rated the same 26mpg as the Fusion GTDI 20, the numbers are different 23/32 vs the Fusion's 22/33 but even the 12hp (5%) increase in power does not hurt economy, but both number are well off the economy numbers from the base focus 29/40 or 29/38.

hypothetically an Ecoboost 10 with

140hp @6000rpm

150ft/lbs of torque @4000rpm

vs the current 2.0

160hp @6500rpm

145ft/lbs @4450rpm

I just don't think

A) buyers will care About the 20hp given up

B) buyers will mind givng up 20hp for 4-6 additional MPGs

C) Buyer will even notice the Difference.

Not the best of examples....what is the dealer stocking levels? Given that most Fusion sales are 1.6L SE models vs Ti models, there is going to be skew in the sales numbers.

there is a difference if Ford brings out a new fusion that is rated at 24/33mpg and Nissan has the Altima at 27/38mpg.

whether you agree with this or not, people are making buying decisions based on a 1-2 difference in MPG.

Edited by Biker16

the current 2.0 vs the competition

160hp @6500rpm

145ft/lbs @4450rpm

29/40

civic

140hp @6500rpm

128ft/lbs @4300rpm

29/41

Sentra

130hp@ 6000rpm

128ft/lbs @3600rpm

30/40

Corolla

132hp @6000rpm

128ft/lbs @4400

27/34

Elantra

148hp@6500

131 ft/lbs @4700rpm

28/38

Mazda3

155hp@6000 rpm

148ft/lbs @4100 Rpm

28/40

Do you guys think that the dealer would be able to add cooled seats to the existing 2013 Ford Fusion seats possibly?

Do you guys think that the dealer would be able to add cooled seats to the existing 2013 Ford Fusion seats possibly?

No, not easily.

Hopefully I am picking up a 2014 Fusion Titanium in Sunset Metallic tomorrow afternoon...... fingers crossed my wife doesn't cut my nuts off me....