Some tutorials on the new software have been pinned here.

• Custom Search

BORG

2014 Ford Fusion Changes (adds 1.5L EcoBoost engine, Cooled Seats, Heated Wheel)

The 1.5L is not a 3 cylinder, it is an I4 Sigma. The 1.6l is being phased out....the 1.5L meets the displacement requirements for tax breaks.

I don't know where Borg got this supposed order guide, but I am looking at the FMC Dealer website as we speak, and there is no 2014 Fusion order guide.

The only 2014 order guides currently available are:

FIESTA

MUSTANG

SHELBY COBRA GT500

TAURUS

SEDAN POLICE INTERCEPTOR

FLEX

ESCAPE

EXPLORER 4-DOOR

UTILITY POLICE INTERCEPTOR

The 1.5L is not a 3 cylinder, it is an I4 Sigma. The 1.6l is being phased out....the 1.5L meets the displacement requirements for tax breaks.

From what I read the Simga engines are being replaced by the ecoboost 1.0 3 cyc engines.

The order guide does not describe the 1.5l EB as a 3-cylinder. But it's safe to assume its the same 1.5l EB 3-cylinder introduced in China in the Mondeo.

And the order guide is an internal document right now in draft form.

Edited by BORG

The order guide does not describe the 1.5l as a 3-cylinder. But it's safe to assume its the same 1.5 3-cylinder introduced in China in the Mondeo.

And the order guide is an internal document right now in draft form.

The media.ford.com article I read on the 1.5 for China Mondeo did not say whether it was a 3 or 4 cylinder.

The Mondeo in China is getting the 1.5L I4 Sigma GTDI; I want to say Craiova is supplying it with Chongqing come on board late 2014. Fox production was stopped at Craiova last year and the line retooled to accommodate the 1.5L I4 Sigma GTDI so now the line can flex between the Fox and Sigma.

Not sure how the 3 cylinder idea got out there....I think people are assuming it is a 3 cylinder since there is a picture of one.

Sigma overall is being phased out....can't say what is replacing it but it will not be a 4 cylinder.

I've attached part of the document.

It does describe it as the 1.5L EcoBoost engine.

Edited by BORG

That still doesn't say it's a 3 cylinder.

That still doesn't say it's a 3 cylinder.

You could conclude that the 1.5L is scheduled to succeed the 1.6L, once it becomes available. That's not clear here either.

So is there a 1.5L EB I4 or not? I was under the impression it was only a 3-cylinder. Why have two engines of the same displacement?

Edited by BORG

Another engine choice for the Fusion is great, but a 3 cylinder sounds bizarre on a mid sizer that weighs 3500 pounds. Instead of Fusion, it should be optional engine on Focus that weighs 500 pounds less and only has one engine for SE and Titanium versions. And having a 1.5L and 1.6L with similar hp numbers is very bizarre. Something about that info doesn't jive.

IMHO, it's the direct injection, VVT and turbo-charging with computer management that make a 3-cylinder possible for NVH. Sophisticated drivetrain mounts probably help, too. :)

Actually, looking through the document seems to confirm that the 1.5L is replacing the 1.6L. Although the 1.6L is remaining as an option with a manual transmission.

Edited by BORG

Wow. That's really interesting. Now I'm not so sure that I want to get the 6-speed stick with the 1.6L if the motor is going to be phased out of the car completely. May just have to go to the 2.0L.

Edited by MineralstangGT

Wow. That's really interesting. Now I'm not so sure that I want to get the 6-speed stick with the 1.6L if the motor is going to be phased out of the car completely. May just have to go to the 2.0L.

Still going to be used on the Escape...as far as we know.

Just interesting that they put the engine out for a year in the Fusion, just to replace it with a 1.5 the next MY?

Just interesting that they put the engine out for a year in the Fusion, just to replace it with a 1.5 the next MY?

Yeah...that's the weird part. It could all just be part of a big master plan, but who knows.

I believe some countries have surcharges for displacement and 1.5 may be a cutoff point. So by changing the 1.6L to 1.5L they can use the same engine globally. If it is a 3 cylinder then that might offer even more MPG gains over the 1.6L.

This is not the first time that there's a separate introduction of car then new powertrain the following model year.

Maybe the local 1.0 and 1.5 I-3 EB Plant wasn't ready in time and in the long run, sourcing a low cost,

local engine that's also 100 lbs lighter and drones like a V6 might be a strategic masterstroke for Ford.

Edited by jpd80

You have to remember that Ford is responding to its competition which are offering luxury car features, especially the heated steering wheel.

I may have spoken on this in the past...

Damn. If this really comes to be true, the Fusion is unequivocally my car. To me, the design is way more attractive than the the MKZ and while I have no problem spending more to get what the MKZ offers, my budget does. If I can get the 1 real thing the MKZ had the Fusion didn't, I'd gladly pay 36k for a max-optioned Fusion.

I believe some countries have surcharges for displacement and 1.5 may be a cutoff point. So by changing the 1.6L to 1.5L they can use the same engine globally. If it is a 3 cylinder then that might offer even more MPG gains over the 1.6L.

This is not the first time that there's a separate introduction of car then new powertrain the following model year.

I understand that...but at the same time its kind of madding to offer an engine just for a year then to outright replace it with a slightly smaller 1.5L I4, if it is an I4. Makes more sense if its a I3 I agree, but at the same time, I don't think the USA is ready for a 3 cyc engine in a mid-sized car...Focus and Fiesta, yes...Fusion no...which might add credence to it being an I4 since a I3 would be a huge risk in this market IMO.

I have faith that Ford has put together a sweet little 3-cylinder, especially after living with a 2.0L EB in my Escape, Ford is extremely good at this.

I don't think the USA is ready for a 3 cyc engine in a mid-sized car...Focus and Fiesta, yes...Fusion no...which might add credence to it being an I4 since a I3 would be a huge risk in this market IMO.

If people don't care it's a 4 cylinder, they won't care it's a 3-cylinder. As long as the power is sufficient to the shopper when he/she steps on the gas, most of them don't concern themselves one bit with the powertrain specifications.