testing for flat rock

My son did the testing back in Mid April. He says he hasn't heard whether or not he "passed" the test. Should he have heard by now? I'm not sure how to contact the labor relations department at Flat Rock to check to see what happened/what is results are.

Our labor dept. says one month is normal to wait before they contact with test results. They have exceeded that time frame before and I don't know if it's their fault or the outside contracted testing company. As always, they say don't call us, we'll call you. I would only call if you don't hear anything for another few weeks. A group of 150 came in on Monday and some union big wigs had their family member referrals in that group. These would be our first referrals coming in. We were told brand new employees might be used on just Mondays and Fridays until we do the split shift (4 weeks before b-shift starts), then they will become full time. Our plant manager wants to save money by not having hundreds of extra workers who aren't trained yet just standing around, so if our referrals get hired quicker by this and have to wait a few months to work full time, it's better than not getting called in at all. The earlier you start, the higher your seniority is. So far about 10% of people coming in have quit, so that gives more of our referrals a chance at being called in.

According to a poster earlier in this thread, 30% of people fail the test.

It's stunning, yes, but true. No child left behind has passed a lot of students into high school when they have been failing. Basic math skills have fallen rapidly, as well as reading comprehension in the last 10 years. They barely pass school tests that they've been coached on, so tests that they don't know what's on them are a big problem. Then 20% don't pass the drug test and physical, and 10% usually quit, so the attrition rate is absurdly high for a good paying job.

What kind of people do you expect to get? $15/hr with no bens gets you everyones loser kids. Most of these people are lucky to get in. The smart ones do something with their lives. The resumes of these people wouldn't get them into mcdonalds. They get jobs because of referrals. I gave mine to someone who barley graduated highschool, did nothing to benefit his life, in out of jobs, drugs, kids, sad life, he is now a ford emploee. I could not find anyone who even wanted the job besides him. He can now go be a button pusher.

What kind of people do you expect to get? $15/hr with no bens gets you everyones loser kids. Most of these people are lucky to get in. The smart ones do something with their lives. The resumes of these people wouldn't get them into mcdonalds. They get jobs because of referrals. I gave mine to someone who barley graduated highschool, did nothing to benefit his life, in out of jobs, drugs, kids, sad life, he is now a ford emploee. I could not find anyone who even wanted the job besides him. He can now go be a button pusher.

so the attrition rate is absurdly high for a good paying job

I hate to tell you but these are not "good paying jobs". Can you buy a decent home, send a kid to college, buy a new small car, provide for a family with even just one child, save for retirement, fill up a gas tank on an ongoing basis??? These jobs will support a single person who rents a small flat, drives a $2000 car and plans to work until they die...unless of course they hit that big loterry jack pot :headspin: !

That is why there is a high attrition rate. I guess everyone just isn't desperate enough yet.

$15/hr with no bens gets you everyones loser kids

I would not call the people who take these jobs losers though. That's a loser reply.

Edited by Hard Driver

There have already been new workers fired for not being able to keep up with line speed and others for "having a bad attitude". The last group from Saline had some people who never showed up and were fired. The new hires are under probation for 90 days, even if they worked at an ACH plant for a year or more. With so many waiting to be hired in or even just to take the test, Ford isn't putting up with not being able to do the job you're asked to do. I predict they will have a few hundred new workers quit or be fired early on after b-shift starts. There are a number of referrals who were part time 3-5 years ago and did a good job, and are waiting eagerly to get to come back as full time. They should have been the FIRST ones to be hired in before the unemployment office people and veterans. They already proved they could do the job, but we now have to weed through all the ACH people to find the good workers. Some of them are good, but if they can't do a job by themselves (mainly in Trim and Final Assembly), they won't make it.

There have already been new workers fired for not being able to keep up with line speed and others for "having a bad attitude". The last group from Saline had some people who never showed up and were fired. The new hires are under probation for 90 days, even if they worked at an ACH plant for a year or more. With so many waiting to be hired in or even just to take the test, Ford isn't putting up with not being able to do the job you're asked to do. I predict they will have a few hundred new workers quit or be fired early on after b-shift starts. There are a number of referrals who were part time 3-5 years ago and did a good job, and are waiting eagerly to get to come back as full time. They should have been the FIRST ones to be hired in before the unemployment office people and veterans. They already proved they could do the job, but we now have to weed through all the ACH people to find the good workers. Some of them are good, but if they can't do a job by themselves (mainly in Trim and Final Assembly), they won't make it.

when will b-shift start at FRAP ?

• Like 1

when will b-shift start at FRAP ?

The tentative date is August 26th. We have July 1-26 off, and need 4 weeks of a split shift for training, so that would be the earliest it would be. It could start one or two weeks later depending on training and maintenance being done. Ford won't confirm the date until everything is ready to go, so little country is right about that.

I started this thread in another section of the forum and it was moved to this section by a mod. Calm down entitled union workers.
Mods are going sweep you out now. Don't get all butthurt.

BTW I never said we were entitled to anything. However this forum is for EMPLOYEES only...not people who come in and spew garbage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...if all you did is fill out a paper that asked for your name and two phone numbers back in may at the michigan works in southgate,you really have no chance or should i still hope for a call?

Edited by fadic