Ford Motor Company March 2013 Sales Figures

Fusion and Escape were the top choices in the Detroit area back in 2011, when R.L. Polk did a profile of vehicles preferred by non-fleet new car buyers in the largest Designated Market Areas (DMAs).

In the charts below, AA = African American; AS = Asian; HS = Hispanic and OT = Non-AA, Non-AS, Non-HS.

Detroit DMA:

20110822_detroit_mb03.jpg

Houston DMA:

20110930_houston_dma_mb02.jpg

Very interesting data and seems to accurately confirm my observations. The Cruze and Focus are also ubiquitous in Detroit, the Cruze more than Focus. Again, Metro Detroit is a very unusual market for cars for obvious reasons.

Damn, with all these Fusion sales, I have still have only seen one and that was 2 months ago. Get some over here in NY. I still haven't seen a new Taurus :(

I've JUST started to see them around in the last couple weeks. One was at a restaurant in the small town I live in. (A black SE). The other I passed on the freeway on my commute (a silver SE). Seems like they are still getting out there. But with 30k a month, now that I've seen a couple, I'm sure I'll start seeing them everywhere.

And the take on the increase in sales being due to buyers re-entering the market is just as a good sign as conquest sales.

It is incredible that Lexus sold considerably more RX's in a month (9,000) than the total number of Lincolns (6800).

What's even more incredible is that the majority of Lexus' sales cam from ES and RX, over 15,000 combined sales

And that IMO is why Lincoln needs to focus even more on Ford's very good utilities,

having strong, fresh MKC, MKX, Aviator and Navigator would fill a lot of perceived holes

Those four could be balanced out by MKZ and MKS, maybe room for a MK Mustang..

If executed properly, those seven products could completely change buyer perception of Lincoln.

Over the past three quarters of so, Ford has been behind where it production should be with the increasing market

the glitch and mis steps with the Lincoln MKZ allowed Ford to build out Fusion incentive and that paid off handsomely

I think Ford has an opportunity to be a little braver with production on some key products, maybe add some small

incentives and see what happens - the results may surprise a lot of people.

Edited by jpd80

The RX, a mediocre product that has zero exciting features other than a quiet, isolated ride, and a long pedigree stretching all the way to 1998, in one body style and, what, 3 powertrain configurations, should not routinely completely obliterate the Lincoln product in sales, imho.

We're not comparing Coors distribution/marketing to a microbrewery selling growlers out of a restaurant (the beer analogy is just plain stupid). It's not about getting rid of dealers. It's that massive profits are being handed to equal competitors on a regular basis without any real explanatory strategy.

(the beer analogy is just plain stupid). It's not about getting rid of dealers. It's that massive profits are being handed to equal competitors on a regular basis without any real explanatory strategy.

At least I have an analogy. What you have is a bunch of "This shouldn't be happening" without any explanation of why it is happening, or a suggestion of how to tap into the demographic that is making it happen.

All you're selling is outrage, and that's in excess supply these days.

The RX, a mediocre product that has zero exciting features other than a quiet, isolated ride, and a long pedigree stretching all the way to 1998, in one body style and, what, 3 powertrain configurations, should not routinely completely obliterate the Lincoln product in sales, imho.

I'm willing to bet a couple hundred bucks on the RX (and for that matter the ES) being the "aspirational models" for a whole lotta Toyota followers who want to show everyone they've made it by trading the T for the L in the least expensive manner possible (without giving up much in size).

Don't underestimate how hard that nut is to crack.

But it does due to the past negative perception of Lincoln, what is more important now is to change that perception with better products,

that starts with MKZ, continues with new MKC and then a revised MKX on a new platform. Change is slowly happening..

We're not comparing Coors distribution/marketing to a microbrewery selling growlers out of a restaurant (the beer analogy is just plain stupid). It's not about getting rid of dealers. It's that massive profits are being handed to equal competitors on a regular basis without any real explanatory strategy.

I know the analogies were lost on you but they do make sense, the more funding and resources you put into a product to make it more distinctive,

the more you have to decide whether you eat the difference, ask more for your product or wait longer for a positive return.

In most people's minds, Ford was set just to do another MKZ using a similar formula to the previous product cycle

but last year, Ford decided to announce a new Lincoln philosophy when the MKZ was all but locked in...crazy.

Edited by jpd80

My issue isn't that I find the beer analogy so poor, but that the whole argument being made that Ford sees Lincoln as a comparatively low investment product line compared to the "bigger" global competitor's luxo brands is fallacious.

The RX has been updated 3 times in 15 years and uses Toyo engines/powertrains (always has). It's sales success is anything but analogous to a F-series (50 different engine/powertrain/frame configurations) vs. Kia.

Maybe the MKC and MKZ will deliberately erode this brand value delta. I'm not a 6-7 figure auto exec with a plan to quintuple MKX sales, but it would seem to me Toyo has avoided spending 6 billion bucks on multiple unique platforms while completely dominating the Lincoln portfolio with just a single pedestrian Lexus model.

My issue isn't that I find the beer analogy so poor, but that the whole argument being made that Ford sees Lincoln as a comparatively low investment product line compared to the "bigger" global competitor's luxo brands is fallacious.

The RX has been updated 3 times in 15 years and uses Toyo engines/powertrains (always has). It's sales success is anything but analogous to a F-series (50 different engine/powertrain/frame configurations) vs. Kia.

If your contention is that it is wrong to argue that Ford can revamp Lincoln with minimal investment (as compared to, say, Cadillac), then how does the RX support your contention?

If anything the RX argues that Ford *can* revamp Lincoln with minimal investment as compared to Cadillac.

Edited by RichardJensen

Exactly. Lexus has laid out the blueprint for Lincoln. Make vehicles that look nothing like their cheaper platform mates. Give it luxury styling and features. Add a stellar dealer experience and you'll have customers for life. Whether they can pull it off or not is still up in the air but you can't honestly say it won't work because it has worked for years already for Lexus.

Exactly. Lexus has laid out the blueprint for Lincoln. Make vehicles that look nothing like their cheaper platform mates. Give it luxury styling and features. Add a stellar dealer experience and you'll have customers for life. Whether they can pull it off or not is still up in the air but you can't honestly say it won't work because it has worked for years already for Lexus.

But you'll hear the haters say oh Lincoln doesn't have RWD (LS,IS and whatever else they offer in RWD) so they can't do it!

I think the thing they will struggle with the most is not the product.................. Ford has easily proven that they know how to make good product.......................... it is the dealership experience. As much as Ford/Lincoln wants to change that, they are hamstrung by draconian franchise agreements that give them little to work with.

So, I think the dealership experience will be the hardest to achieve.

But you'll hear the haters say oh Lincoln doesn't have RWD (LS,IS and whatever else they offer in RWD) so they can't do it!

Understand, the haters have preconceived opinions of Lincoln and it truly matters not what Lincoln does or what they produce/release. It will always be inferior to all other luxury entries.

If your contention is that it is wrong to argue that Ford can revamp Lincoln with minimal investment (as compared to, say, Cadillac), then how does the RX support your contention?

If anything the RX argues that Ford *can* revamp Lincoln with minimal investment as compared to Cadillac.

Yes. Exactly; the RX argues that Ford can revamp L with minimum investment vs. Cadillac. It does not imply that it should be a "microbrewer."

I felt, initially in this thread, I was repelling the assertion (by you/others) Lincoln needed, by necessity, to be a niche player vs. Lexus because Ford sees only a business case for limited investment. I see the past 15 years of RX sales in particular, as a factual illustration that this assertion is wrong. The RX is, if anything, the inheritor of Panther sales, imho.

We can and do get emotional on this site regarding broad assertions of brand directions/RWD vs. FWD etc., but the RX I believe should be kept in mind especially when considering Lincoln's role/mission/objective/requirements moving forward. As always, just my opinion.

they are hamstrung by draconian franchise agreements that give them little to work with.

And I think *that* is one of the reasons why you do not see Ford trying to goose MKS & MKX sales with above market exceptions (please, Borg, FB, do not chime in with what you see in "Metro Detroit"), clearly, Ford could move more Lincoln iron by pricing it in line with the market's perception of its value at this time.

But I think they would rather starve out low quality dealers.

• Like 3

Yes. Exactly; the RX argues that Ford can revamp L with minimum investment vs. Cadillac. It does not imply that it should be a "microbrewer."

I felt, initially in this thread, I was repelling the assertion (by you/others) Lincoln needed, by necessity, to be a niche player vs. Lexus because Ford sees only a business case for limited investment.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that Lincoln can survive as a 'niche' brand while building a new customer base. That they don't need home runs and vehicles that are the best sellers in their segment.

Ford's planning assumptions do not require that Lincoln become the best selling (or even the 2nd or 3rd best selling) luxury brand in order to succeed. But if that happens, I'm sure they won't be upset about it.

Ford could easily boost Lincoln sales with incentives but I agree they're still trying to cull the dealer herd a little. And they don't want to create a customer base of bargain hunters.

I don't think Ford is planning to hold back on the investment with Lincoln down the road - I think they're just being wise with their capital investments right now understanding it will be several years before they have a full lineup of new models and upgraded dealerships to support more volume and more profits to justify the added expense of new platforms.

• Like 1

The RX is one of the most successful luxury vehicles...well...ever. How can you use outliers as arguments against Lincoln? So the RX sold 9000 units last month. Wonderful. Does that mean Lincoln would still be a failure by the RX's barometer if they sold 7000 MKZ's?

I mean geez, the Audi A4 is a complete failure compared to the 3-series, isn't it?

Edited by NickF1011

Thanks Nick. That is completely, 100% not my point.

Again, the RX illustrates that Lincoln, moving forward (not just standing/defending ground based on today's situation) does not require 5 new unique platforms/engines/8 billion dollars Cadillac-style in development $$$ to win with completely class leading vehicles (replete with unique features) across the board.

The RX is merely a Camry on stilts (that drives like it), with an "L" on the grille/trunk/keyfob and a nice dealer network. That this blob of a vehicle prints cash profits for Toyo on a regular basis which dwarfs whatever returns Lincoln may produce (I don't care to speculate at all) does NOT therefore mean LSfan00 is implying comparisons between RX and MKZ Q1 2013 sales are appropriate.

Oh, and again just for 100% certainty; the only positive driving review I've ever read about the RX is (a) it is quiet and (b) the -450h versions have gobs of power.

Thanks Nick. That is completely, 100% not my point.

Again, the RX illustrates that Lincoln, moving forward (not just standing/defending ground based on today's situation) does not require 5 new unique platforms/engines/8 billion dollars Cadillac-style in development $$$ to win with completely class leading vehicles (replete with unique features) across the board.

The RX is merely a Camry on stilts (that drives like it), with an "L" on the grille/trunk/keyfob and a nice dealer network. That this blob of a vehicle prints cash profits for Toyo on a regular basis which dwarfs whatever returns Lincoln may produce (I don't care to speculate at all) does NOT therefore mean LSfan00 is implying comparisons between RX and MKZ Q1 2013 sales are appropriate.

Oh, and again just for 100% certainty; the only positive driving review I've ever read about the RX is (a) it is quiet and (b) the -450h versions have gobs of power.

Well, on that point I agree with you. But I do think it will take more than a couple solid vehicles to sustain the brand. Lincoln isn't going to see volumes anywhere close the RX or ES on any of its vehicles anytime soon.