Ford Motor Company March 2013 Sales Figures

Fusion, Escape Achieve All-Time Record Sales; Ford Motor Company U.S. Sales Up 6 Percent in March

• Fusion delivers its best-ever sales month and quarter ever, with March sales passing 30,000 and quarterly sales passing the 80,000 mark for the first time in its history
  • Escape posts its best-ever sales month and quarterly sales
  • Explorer sales up 33 percent – best monthly sales since the current model debuted in 2010
  • America’s best-selling pickup for 36 years, F-Series posts 16 percent increase as full-size pickup segmentation continues to improve versus year ago – best first quarter sales since 2007
  • Ford Motor Company March U.S. sales up 6 percent – best sales results since May 2007, with cars even with year ago, utilities up 14 percent and trucks up 6 percent

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

DEARBORN, Mich., April 2, 2013 – Ford’s newest vehicles – Fusion and Escape – set all-time monthly sales records in March, driving Ford Motor Company’s best U.S. sales results since May 2007.

“Customers are buying our all-new Fusion and Escape in record numbers, and we are working harder than ever to keep pace with demand for these fuel-efficient vehicles,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Full-size pickup demand continues gaining momentum, outperforming the industry for the third consecutive month.”

Ford Fusion posted an all-time record monthly and quarterly sales volume in March with 30,284 vehicles sold for the month and 80,558 during the first quarter – crossing the 30,000 monthly and 80,000 quarterly vehicle sale thresholds for the first time ever in Fusion sales history.

Escape had its best sales month ever with 28,934 vehicles sold. This 28 percent increase versus year-ago results marks the best sales performance since Escape’s launch 13 years ago. Escape also posted record quarter sales of 72,983 vehicles, surpassing record third quarter 2012 sales of 72,908 vehicles.

Explorer’s March sales totaled 17,509, representing a 33 percent increase over last year and its best monthly sales performance since the current model was introduced in 2010. Explorer retail sales were up 42 percent over last year, providing it best March retail sales performance since 2005.

With the industry’s March full-size pickup segment estimated to be up 15 percent over last year, America’s best-selling pickup, the Ford F-Series sales increased 16 percent to 67,513 pickups in March. This was F-Series 20th straight month of monthly sales increases and represented F-Series’ best March and first quarter sales performance since 2007.

The company’s overall sales in March were up 6 percent with 236,160 vehicles sold. Cars were even with a year ago, utilities up 14 percent and trucks up 6 percent.

I think I speak for everyone when I ask, "where the heck are these Fusions coming from?"
From the TWO MONTHS last fall when they sold 10~15k a month?

And yes, they need FRAP to come online ASAP (this summer?) to sustain the sales momentum.

So much for the Escape being a flop when they softened it up!

Escape had its best sales month ever with 28,934 vehicles sold. This 28 percent increase
versus year-ago results marks the best sales performance since Escape’s launch 13 years ago.
Escape also posted record quarter sales of 72,983 vehicles, surpassing record third quarter
2012 sales of 72,908 vehicles
  • Like 2

Fusion sold and delivered or waiting for delivery? I know there have been major shortages of stock in my area (SoFla), with almost ALL Fusions listed as "dealer ordered". Yet there seems to be no shortage of people (including me) plunking down their dough and willing to wait. Could be a really good year for Ford!

Damn, Lincoln down again.

Why is this ANY surprise? Honestly? Even if MKZ was up significantly, there's absolutely nothing about the rest of the lineup that would suggest their overall brand sales will improve at all until they get some more new metal.

I was hoping MKZ would be a little closer to 3000 though...we'll see how it pans out when deliveries normalize.

Fusion sold and delivered or waiting for delivery? I know there have been major shortages of stock in my area (SoFla), with almost ALL Fusions listed as "dealer ordered". Yet there seems to be no shortage of people (including me) plunking down their dough and willing to wait. Could be a really good year for Ford!

Sales are not booked until they are delivered.

Why is this ANY surprise? Honestly? Even if MKZ was up significantly, there's absolutely nothing about the rest of the lineup that would suggest their overall brand sales will improve at all until they get some more new metal.

I was hoping MKZ would be a little closer to 3000 though...we'll see how it pans out when deliveries normalize.

You mean tons of expensive marketing isn't the key? ;)

30,284 Fusion

24,929 Focus

6,728 Fiesta

Almost 61,000 combined sales from those 3 alone.

28,934 Escape

12,237 Edge

17,509 Explorer

Almost 59,000 combined sales from those 3.

Jim Farley will group them differently.

The Super Segment, aka Toyota/Honda head-to-head competition, which includes Fiesta, Focus, C-Max, Fusion and Escape, sold almost 95k units last month!

How did T/H do in the S.S. last month?

Edited by 03 LS

I don't really think Lincoln's current marketing could be considered "tons"....it's just actually existent now compared to what previously amounted to almost nothing.

Two superbowl ads and an aggressive widespread commercial campaign is as big as it gets.

From the TWO MONTHS last fall when they sold 10~15k a month?

And yes, they need FRAP to come online ASAP (this summer?) to sustain the sales momentum.

Job #1 at Flat Rock isn't until August 26th when Flat Rock starts building the 2014MY Fusion! And I'd expect that it will take a number of months before Flat Rock is running at full speed.

Edited by ice-capades

Two superbowl ads and an aggressive widespread commercial campaign is as big as it gets.

Not really. I still see far more ads for Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes (whom I'm sure all spend FAR more on marketing overall) on a daily basis than I do for Lincoln. Did the Super Bowl ads cost some coin at the time? Yes. But well, that was a couple months ago now.

Edited by NickF1011

I figure this month and maybe next months MKZ numbers won't be too hot. MKS took a dive, Wonder how many of those saw the new loaded MKZ and bought that instead. And our favorite red headed step child that should have been aborted, the MKT at 571. (sigh) The MKC can't come soon enough...

Cadillac Sales: 15,571 (up 50%)

Buick Sales: 18,007 (up 37.4 %)

Lincoln Sales: 6,825 (down 23.7%)

The MKS is probably struggling due to the existence of the XTS as well. Lincoln MKS sold 924, while Caddy sold over 3K.

It's just amazing how few Lincoln customers there are at this point, especially since Lincoln isn't a boutique brand.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Not really. I still see far more ads for Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes (whom I'm sure all spend FAR more on marketing overall) on a daily basis than I do for Lincoln. Did the Super Bowl ads cost some coin at the time? Yes. But well, that was a couple months ago now.

But that also depends on what your watching or listening too also...I know I've seen Lincoln getting advertised pretty heavily on the TV I watch...like the Walking Dead...

But that also depends on what your watching or listening too also...I know I've seen Lincoln getting advertised pretty heavily on the TV I watch...like the Walking Dead...

Oh, I definitely see the ads on television. But I think they stand out more to us 1) because we tend to follow the brand more closely than others and 2) because there was really a complete lack of television advertising prior to the start of the year.