Is Ford Dropping the Taurus?

BINGO!Oh, wait, we weren't playing Buzzword Bingo? Never mind... ;)

Sorry about surpassing your vocabulary (oops, all the words you know). Maybe you could try taking some remedial courses (oops, "learnin thingys" designed to help make up for what you missed the first time) from Stillwater.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

Sorry about surpassing your vocabulary (oops, all the words you know). Maybe you could try taking some remedial courses (oops, "learnin thingys" designed to help make up for what you missed the first time) from Stillwater.
Were I you, I'd worry less about my vocabulary and more about your sense of humor...

Or CAP switches to CD4 in late 2015...

I don't see that happening with the Explorer getting its first refresh then. The Explorer is going to be around till 2018 or so at the least.

You state that CAP would switch to CD4 in 2015....I said the Explorer would be getting its first refresh then and wouldn't be replaced till 2018 (CD4 platform) at the earliest.

Why would Ford NOT switch the PI and UI to CD4 when the time comes? When developing CD4, Ford would take the same steps to ensure that the unique demands of Police duty are addressed in the new platform. Most of those demands are in heavier duty suspension, unique interior controls, features like ballistic door panels, egress and regress in duty gear and passenger <ahem> comfort in the rear seating positions....all features that will likely be included in a CD4 chassis based vehicle dynamic. As good as the current PI and UI are....they too will eventually be updated and replaced, and Ford has already established that they will sit down with police agencies to ensure that their concerns are addressed.

Edited by twintornados

Its interesting to see so much attention to the Taurus. I own a 2013 Limited and simply love it. Now, in response to some of the comments about "too cramped" interior, I would direct those detractors to EDMUNDS.com and compare the Taurus Dimensions to Charger/LaCrosse/300/Avalon. Taurus has more interior volume...best headroom and almost identical, if not slightly better hip/shoulder room. Speaking of Headroom...the Lacrosse front headroom is 1 complete inch lower...the Chryslers were 1/2 inch lower. I spent a weekend driving a Charger..and that front headroom disadvantage is very noticeable coming up to traffic lights. As far as trunk capacity...Taurus has a 4 cubic ft advantage over all of them. If you don't order the AWD..The Taurus V-6 does 0-60 in 6.6 seconds.(Motor Trend) That 's pulling a 2 ton beauty from a dead dig. Impressive! But mostly important is that the Taurus continues to improve sales each year. Currently outselling the competitors...that's why we see all the Shaq commercials with him sitting in the back seat of the Lacrosse..trying to sell it with cheap 2 yr lease programs. Finally to those that want to compare the Fusion to the Taurus ..please, its 2 different buyers...and pricing also. People buy a Taurus because they like the way it looks. Its not a cookie cutter cutout. Its unique! I love the profile and wide track..almost 3 inches wider than the competition..and its noticeable. Lets be honest...look at a Lacrosse from the front or back next to a Taurus...it looks like a narrow hotdog with Asian lines. Follow a Taurus on the highway..that rear wide stance profile is a standout great view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and that's why I like my Taurus. Shhh...she's sleeping in the garage, covered, on a battery charger till late spring when the salt is gone. Never seen salt! Cha-ching! (Buy what Ford you like, but don't ridicule the other family members!)

• Like 2

Why would Ford NOT switch the PI and UI to CD4 when the time comes? When developing CD4, Ford would take the same steps to ensure that the unique demands of Police duty are addressed in the new platform. Most of those demands are in heavier duty suspension, unique interior controls, features like ballistic door panels, egress and regress in duty gear and passenger <ahem> comfort in the rear seating positions....all features that will likely be included in a CD4 chassis based vehicle dynamic. As good as the current PI and UI are....they too will eventually be updated and replaced, and Ford has already established that they will sit down with police agencies to ensure that their concerns are addressed.

Because the PI/PU market is not one that responds well to change every handful of years... You don't seem to be understanding the government procurement process is one that does not favor change, but consistency. Its one thing to force a change after decades and another after a handful of years. Government procurement process creates a wholy different market dynamic than the retail market. Too many of you are equating the two...

Edited by Kris Kolman

Why would Ford NOT switch the PI and UI to CD4 when the time comes?

They would be migrated over after a few years....I don't think Ford would "develop" The PI and PIU which just hit the market in the past 6-10 months, just to replace them 18-24 months later. Then add in the Explorer, which came out in late 2010 as a 2011MY, it would be getting its first refresh in 2014-15 or so.

The only thing that suffers is the Lincoln Explorer model (partly offset by the MKT, but then again LOL)....thus why I think the Navi is getting redone...

They would be migrated over after a few years....I don't think Ford would "develop" The PI and PIU which just hit the market in the past 6-10 months, just to replace them 18-24 months later. Then add in the Explorer, which came out in late 2010 as a 2011MY, it would be getting its first refresh in 2014-15 or so.

The only thing that suffers is the Lincoln Explorer model (partly offset by the MKT, but then again LOL)....thus why I think the Navi is getting redone...

Yep. D4 under PI/PIU/Explorer/Avaitor will be around much longer than the D4 Taurus/MKS.

The current platform is what forces me to NOT buy a Taurus. It has the same seating capacity as a Fusion... but is harder to park in the city and uses more fuel.

Why bother?

A six passenger (front & back bench seats) and a wagon option would make it more appealing to us. I'd rather NOT buy a SUV if I can use a smart wagon.

Who knows if the next gen. platform will have these... but otherwise it makes sense to consider a tidier Fusion than the beloved Taurus.

..... You don't seem to be understanding the government procurement process is one that does not favor change, but consistency lowest price. Its one thing to force a change after decades and another after a handful of years. Government procurement process creates a wholly different market dynamic than the retail market. Too many of you are equating the two...

There....fixed it for you....

The current platform is what forces me to NOT buy a Taurus. It has the same seating capacity as a Fusion... but is harder to park in the city and uses more fuel.

Why bother?

A six passenger (front & back bench seats) and a wagon option would make it more appealing to us. I'd rather NOT buy a SUV if I can use a smart wagon.

Who knows if the next gen. platform will have these... but otherwise it makes sense to consider a tidier Fusion than the beloved Taurus.

I can't think of any car on the market that has 6 passenger seating due to Airbag laws....

Now, in response to some of the comments about "too cramped" interior, I would direct those detractors to EDMUNDS.com and compare the Taurus Dimensions to Charger/LaCrosse/300/Avalon.

I don't think "cramped" is the right term; I see lots of complaints about its sub-optimal interior packaging, and I think that's a more accurate description. For a car as big as it is, the Taurus should feel more roomy than it does, IMHO--despite being visually and dimensionally larger than the Fusion, the Fusion actually feels more roomy inside. (Of course, this is comparing a '12 Taurus to a '10 Fusion; I've not been inside a '13 Fusion yet.)

• Like 2

I've sat in both the new fusion and own a taurus and there is no doubt the taurus has more room than the fusion. Part of the reason I picked the taurus over the fusion was the fact that everybody and their brother doesn't have one. One thing I would like to see is the next version go RWD to further distance it from the fusion. It won't happen but a guy can dream.

I can't think of any car on the market that has 6 passenger seating due to Airbag laws....

Is it airbag laws or is it just that people expect bucket seats up front? Or is it that the manufacturers decided that buckets provided a simpler (read: cheaper) parts supply?

FWIW, you can get a six-passenger F150 if you get the cloth front bench seat in a SuperCrew. I don't think any of the sedans offer a front bench; if you consider the Flex to be a car (it's a freaking station wagon), it has seven-passenger seating...

I've sat in both the new fusion and own a taurus and there is no doubt the taurus has more room than the fusion.

I'm not talking about absolute numbers; I'm talking about how I felt when I was sitting in both. In fairness, I was driving the Fusion and riding in the Taurus, so that may have colored my opinion, but I felt like I had more room in the Fusion. I'm also a really big guy, so I might've felt different if I were shorter or narrower...

I'm not talking about absolute numbers; I'm talking about how I felt when I was sitting in both. In fairness, I was driving the Fusion and riding in the Taurus, so that may have colored my opinion, but I felt like I had more room in the Fusion. I'm also a really big guy, so I might've felt different if I were shorter or narrower...

The 2013 Taurus was revised considerably over the 2012, which you claim you only rode in (never drove?)...the 2013 has a new direct injection engine/more HP...thicker glass...new exterior front/also rear LED with 3 inch exhausts, all new single glass panel replacing the usual individual round gauges that almost every manufacturer uses, sounder insulation, ..etc... However, the interior appointments to the dash panel and side panels have been totally upgraded to a much more softer, more comfortable feel. I know your opinion is subjective like anyone else, however, I suggest you take the drivers seat and actually drive this beautiful car out on the highway to really appreciate it. Car and Driver referred to the ride of the new 2013 Taurus as "..riding on cloud nine..!" I agree! (The new Fusion is a remarkable car also...it just appeals to a different buyer....thank goodness we are all different.) I think I was one of the first buyers of the 2013 Limited when it was introduced in March 2012. Not one single complaint with this car! Kudos to Ford! My daughter has owned a 2010 Taurus now for 3 full years and she truly loves her car....only visits the dealer for oil changes. She lives in Iowa and its amazing how wonderful their roads are...all concrete and hardly any cheap asphalt like in Michigan. Michigan roads are shameful...and extremely hard on our cars! Ugh!

Edited by bdegrand

Why bother?

The big trunk, powerful standard V6, and traditional big American Ford styling make the Taurus more appealing to me than the Fusion. I don't care for the high beltline though. The kinetic styling of the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion just doesn't work for me. I fear a CD4 Taurus as well as the 2015 Mustang will also move to the kinetic styling. I would buy a Focus or Fusion wagon if Ford would offer them.

The 2013 Taurus was revised considerably over the 2012, which you claim you only rode in (never drove?)...the 2013 has a new

For all I know, it was a 2013 (this was in July, 2012, and it was someone else's rental), but all that other stuff you wrote has nothing to do with how roomy the car feels. On top of that, I didn't say a bad word about the Taurus, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to go charging off on that particular crusade...

You state that CAP would switch to CD4 in 2015....I said the Explorer would be getting its first refresh then and wouldn't be replaced till 2018 (CD4 platform) at the earliest.

No, I stated a possibility prefixed by "OR"

Think about it, D3 Explorer was introduced in 2011, Ford won't wait until 2015 for the first refresh....

No, I stated a possibility prefixed by "OR"

Think about it, D3 Explorer was introduced in 2011, Ford won't wait until 2015 for the first refresh....

Well the 2014MY Explorer goes on sale this summer with no major changes...so that leaves the 2015MY (2014CY) Explorer getting a refresh....

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52458-2014-explorer-changes-predictions/

Well the 2014MY Explorer goes on sale this summer with no major changes...so that leaves the 2015MY (2014CY) Explorer getting a refresh....

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52458-2014-explorer-changes-predictions/

Changes are incremental, they're not supposed to be major jumps like in the past. By the time we hit the year 2016,

Ford will be looking to something lighter, more fuel efficient for its volume selling SUV. D3 could survive with the

adoption of CD4 side frames and slim door technology. So maybe the answer is a merge of D3 and CD4 to

deliver the best qualities of both platforms..We may both be right without actually knowing the full plan.

Edited by jpd80

A more appropriate example would be how Ford simplified the changeover between Crown Victoria and Taurus PI,

the new PI was designed to adapt a lot of the existing CV police equipment to it so while CD4 will be a different platform,

you can bet that lessons learned from D3 PIs will transfer directly to the next generation of vehicles.

Not so true. Local city PD is changing over from the CV to the PI as new vehicles are purchased. They have outfitted four PIs, and about the only thing that easily transferred from the CV to the PI are the front and rear facing video cameras and the exterior mounted radar units. Light bars, partitions, computer mounts, communications gear mounting, even trunk racks/storage systems are different. There were acres of space under the dash on the CV for communications gear, but with the PI much is mounted in the trunk with just head units up by the driver. It has really run up the total costs. Total time for the turnover of the fleet may be another 3 to 5 years, if there are significant changes to the PI within that timeframe, there will be many teed off city financial directors

if there are significant changes to the PI within that timeframe, there will be many teed off city financial directors

I think that's just going to be the reality of the future though. I don't think city managers should expect to see any vehicles remain unchanged as long as the CVPI was ever again.