New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Joe771476

New light & medium duty news

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Oh I'm with you for sure.  It's just we obviously haven't seen it yet.  And I don't know if the Mediums would follow any sort of normal refresh schedule to predict a potential redesign.

If they follow the E-Series schedule, I'd say the Mediums will be around in their current form until doomsday...

Combining E-series and F-650 cabs may make sense if you are designing a new truck. But Ford is clearly not going to spend the money to design a new truck. Ford's customers don't care E-series is ancient... they just want everything to stay the same so they don't have to invest in new tooling for whatever they are selling (cargo box, shuttle bus, ambulance, motor home etc)

39 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Combining E-series and F-650 cabs may make sense if you are designing a new truck. But Ford is clearly not going to spend the money to design a new truck. Ford's customers don't care E-series is ancient... they just want everything to stay the same so they don't have to invest in new tooling for whatever they are selling (cargo box, shuttle bus, ambulance, motor home etc)

You'd think eventually it'll become so old that it'll have to change, though.  I'm surprised they've not tried to give it (E-series) a new grille insert to match the lineup.  But guess they don't care.

How old is too old? I mean the basic structure of E-series cutaway cab is nearly 40 45 years old now. It never really changed since 1983 1975 when Ford moved the model to body on frame design. I think we went past the "too old" stage when Bill Clinton was president. Now it is in the "so perfect it never needs to change" phase... 🤣 The last time it had what we'd consider a "mid cycle" update was 1992 when it got all new body panels (but still the same basic body shell and chassis).

Since there are no crash test safety issue, there is no real reason to replace the cab as long as there are no changes to the chassis. Ford has been able to continue to update the drivetrain to keep up with emissions and customer expectations so I've come around to the view that Ford will never completely redesign the E-series. I mean they have done it since 1983 1975 so why start now?

Edited by bzcat

2 minutes ago, bzcat said:

How old is too old? I mean the E-series cutaway cab is nearly 40 years old now. It never really changed since 1983 when Ford moved the engine out from under the seat. I think we went past the "too old" stage when Bill Clinton was president. Now it is in the "so perfect it never needs to change" phase... 🤣

Since there are no crash test safety issue, there is no real reason to replace the cab as long as there are no changes to the chassis. Ford has been able to continue to update the drivetrain to keep up with emissions and customer expectations so I've come around to the view that Ford will never completely redesign the E-series. I mean they have done it since 1983 so why start now?

1983 "Square E" dates back to 1975...the "Big E" was re-designed to the current body style in 1992 for a more "aerodynamic" look

You are right... 1975. So the same chassis and cab has been around for 44 years already.

The 1992 update was just to give it a more aero look. There was no change to the cab structure or chassis.

I stood up close and personal to a new International medium duty at Nutmeg International in Hartford CT.  Nothing breath taking!  But as i drove up further to where the 10 bay Brainard Ford Truck garage once resided, I saw a sign for Five Star Fire Apparatus with a smaller Freightliner sign.  The only fire truck I saw was a Harwich pumper which I think is from Massachusetts, right Bob?

6 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

I stood up close and personal to a new International medium duty at Nutmeg International in Hartford CT.  Nothing breath taking!  But as i drove up further to where the 10 bay Brainard Ford Truck garage once resided, I saw a sign for Five Star Fire Apparatus with a smaller Freightliner sign.  The only fire truck I saw was a Harwich pumper which I think is from Massachusetts, right Bob?

For sure Joe.I should take a picture of their station.  Architectural masterpiece.  So what brand of pumper do these guys represent?  In the old days when I was driving up 91 I would take the exit and swing through Brainerd /Interstate's yard to check out inventory.  Also when the Bluediamonds went into production I pulled into Nutmeg one afternoon and recorded spring hangar casting numbers on a 4400 -went down the street and matched hangar nos. on a new 750-they were identical.

That's funny Bob, because when I checked out underneath the chassis on some Sterlings back around 1998, there were still Ford stampings on some chassis parts!  Meanwhile I'm having a hard time deciding where to post certain info because we have this thread, Bob's Ford Otosan thread, and the F600 thread!   I'll try to keep the class 8 stuff in Bob's and the medium duty stuff in this or F600 thread.  Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Edited by Joe771476

That was pretty impressive.  Amazing detail. 

All I can say is WOW!

The other night I bumped into a guy who is working on the 10R140 !  Don't get your shorts in a bundle, but they are having some manufacturing problems.  I don't think they are big issues, but it is clearly more than a few weeks before it will be in full production.

Related, he also mentioned there is "little brother" to the 10R80.  The 10R60.  All are being made at Livonia.