New Facebook Pages

Ford Mach E

Ford Thunder

• Custom Search

Joe771476

New light & medium duty news

2 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

So, just to be clear the 7.3L will make it into the F-650 and F-750, right?

Since the 7.3L is intended to replace the 6.8L Triton V10, yes. 

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thank you for that, it's been my belief that every engine intended for MD has to be suitably upgraded for the expected heavy and sustained load. It wasn't something peculiar to the 6.2 Boss, just something that highlighted the engines lack of capacity and unsuitability in that role....however, a bore and stroke increase like the GM 6.6 V8 received  might have worked...it may have needed more capacity like 7.0 liters

I think it both understandable and unfortunate that Ford first developed the 6.2 Boss to work across F150 and SD.  Ford did originally have a plan for two Boss capacities a 5.8 and a 6.2 but if the Boss had been developed just for Super Duty, I'm sure that Ford would have increased capacity and made it a true replacement for the 6.8 V10. Obviously that wasn't the plan and everything worked out OK in the end with the 6.8 V10 3V making a reappearance in MD.

The 7.3 V8 now sits above the 6.2 Boss which is fine by me as plenty of buyers will love both engines, so I'm wondering how or if Ford can build more. Maybe Ford will be forced to make more SD capacity....

The BOSS engine family was originally supposed to have 3 displacements 5.8/6.2/7.0. Both 2 and 4 valve cylinder heads. The 2V head was provisioned for DI and I'd assume if the 4V head ever made it past the 777 design study it would have had this provision as well. The 5.8L variant didn't meet its FE goals for the Mustang application it was meant for. But this variant would probably be the one to get the EB treatment if they were ever going to do a GTDI version of any current V8 engine family. I don't think that will happen though, if an EB V8 engine ever makes it out of Ford it will probably be an all new engine of smaller (4.xL ish) displacement with inside-out flow like the 6.7L Powerstroke

I was happy to see about five Class 4 or 5 Ford tow trucks on the cover of Tow Times magazine with an F650/750 medium in the middle, all from the same towing outfit.  But what lurked inside was ominous.  International's new CV class 4 and 5 trucks are of course targeting Ford's leadership and the cabs are the size of Ford's mediums F650/750.  But just thinking, they might LOOK more powerful and intimidating, but will the extra weight and size translate into less maneuverability and less fuel mileage?  I told you:  VW, International, GM......all of them want a piece of Ford's action!  So now it's time to go after THEIR action and enter Class 8!!

I was recently invited to an event where the topic is the new International class 4 &5 trucks. These guys must be planning a real push as these are introduced as they are doing this one on a Sunday in just over a week. About all I know other than the topic is that someone from a dealer in Y-town will be there.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, Joe771476 said:

I was happy to see about five Class 4 or 5 Ford tow trucks on the cover of Tow Times magazine with an F650/750 medium in the middle, all from the same towing outfit.  But what lurked inside was ominous.  International's new CV class 4 and 5 trucks are of course targeting Ford's leadership and the cabs are the size of Ford's mediums F650/750.  But just thinking, they might LOOK more powerful and intimidating, but will the extra weight and size translate into less maneuverability and less fuel mileage?  I told you:  VW, International, GM......all of them want a piece of Ford's action!  So now it's time to go after THEIR action and enter Class 8!!

Hate to say it Joe but I think we can forget about class 8.  Let's just hope they do a good job with what is left-in particular class 4-7.  Hopefully we will see some good things at the upcoming Work Truck Show.   The 7.3 V-8 is a good start and that should do very well in class 6 and 7-in particular as of now it will have no gas engine competition in conventional cabs.  You can bet though that International for sure will not be content to abandon the gasoline/"gaseous" market when Ford starts to show some success.

By the way did see a new Davey Tree 750 bucket truck in service the other day and it was a 6.7.  Interesting as story I heard were the tree guys who have a lot of engine idling time were fed up with the diesel regen issues and have been asking for good gasoline power.