New Light & Medium Duty News

Pure speculation on my part, but I will say direct injection and pushrod OHV to facilitate modulated displacement (cylinder cut-out). Although modulated displacement can be done on an OHC or even DOHC, it's easier to engineer and less expensive to manufacture for a pushrod engine.

Dig you guys notice that in the article it mentions the new engine will be available all the way up to F750?

I believe 650/750 was probably the biggest justification given lack of gasoline power in class 6 and 7. Plenty of operators that don't run the annual mileage needed to justify the diesel premium.. And the 6.8 is viewed by many as marginal.

That article says the 6.2 is going away. I wonder what the new base engine in the F-250 and E-series is going to be? 7.3L would be an uncharacteristically large engine for the low end of F-250 models and fleet trucks. I wonder if this means we'll be seeing the coyote or possibly even one of the ecoboost V6 motors move up to F-250? Or is Ford burrying an additional de-stroked 7.x of ~6L displacement in with the headline 7.3L engine?

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Just think, if Ford would have spent the money to spread the bore centers when they switched from Modular to Coyote they could be building all sorts of V8 engines off the same tooling.

They didnt want to spend then, theyll be spending now and the Coyote still has the tight bore spacing.

I wonder if this means we'll be seeing the coyote or possibly even one of the ecoboost V6 motors move up to F-250?

Highly unlikely. The Coyote makes its power too high in the revs for an HD truck, and if we were going to see an EB V6 in the Super Duty line, I'm pretty sure it would be there already.

Or is Ford burrying an additional de-stroked 7.x of ~6L displacement in with the headline 7.3L engine?

Ford has said nothing about any displacements. All we have is a leaked lubricant spec sheet, and it only covers engines for the 2020MY, IIRC. Ford could be introducing a whole 7X family of engines for all we know. Edited by SoonerLS

Highly unlikely. The Coyote makes its power too high in the revs for an HD truck, and if we were going to see an EB V6 in the Super Duty line, I'm pretty sure it would be there already.

I agree, but I suspect that the coyotes torque curve is actually very similar to the 6.2. Remember that the coyote has an exceptionally broad torque curve relative to it's displacement. The main critisism of the 6.2L is it's lack of torque; due to the nature of only 2 valves/cyl and giant intake ports. I suspect the main reason the coyote is not used in F-250 has more to do with the aluminum block and durability concerns.

Ford has said nothing about any displacements. All we have is a leaked lubricant spec sheet, and it only covers engines for the 2020MY, IIRC. Ford could be introducing a whole 7X family of engines for all we know.

That would be sweet !!!

I'll bet the 6.2L will continue in the E series. Ford has a habit of keeping old engines around in low volume platforms. Look how long the 2 valve Mod. lasted in the E series and F53.

I find the lack of coherent planning and foresight with E series quite comical. Ford comes out with the 3v mods and then goes "hmm they don't fit in the e series. Well I guess we just keep building both the 2v and 3v then." Then a few years later they drop the 6.0L turd powerstroke only to realize that the 6.4 doesn't fit in e series. "Whoops. Well we can just use up the warranty stockpile of engines till we run out in about 2010". After that it was Transit is going to replace the E. So Ford's thinking was "E is going to hang around a few more years. We really need that 4.6/5.4 line for other stuff, so just make the V10 (which was still the 2v, ironically) standard for a couple years until the E is put out to pasture". Then of course about 4 years later they realize Transit doesn't quite have to the GVWR to replace the E, so "we really need a smaller base engine for E. What's available? We know! Stick the 6.2 in it! What's this - the 6.2 makes 70 more hp than the 2v V10? Meh! Just de-tune it by 80!"

We'll see what comes next. Either the 6.2 sticks around as base F-series and E engine or we'll be laughing when we find out in three years that Ford is still assembling 2v V10s out of spare parts in a storage shed out back. I do really hope the new 7.x finds its way into E series eventually.

Meanwhile the E series soldiers on as the van everyone loves, still holding an important part of the commercial market.

I'll bet the 6.2L will continue in the E series. Ford has a habit of keeping old engines around in low volume platforms. Look how long the 2 valve Mod. lasted in the E series and F53.

The F53 got the 3V 6.8 & 5 speed auto back in 2005, the E series kept the 2V 6.8 up until last year, but I get your point. The 6.2 & 6 speed auto should be more than sufficient for many years to come in the E series, but it really needs a diesel option like the new 3.0 & 10 speed auto.

Then of course about 4 years later they realize Transit doesn't quite have to the GVWR to replace the E, so "we really need a smaller base engine for E. What's available? We know! Stick the 6.2 in it! What's this - the 6.2 makes 70 more hp than the 2v V10? Meh! Just de-tune it by 80!"

WOW !! I had no idea that they had emasculated the 6.2L in the E-Series that badly !

6.2L horsepower and torque

F-Series Super Duty - 385 hp @ 5,750 rpm, 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm

E-Series - 331 hp @ 5.500 rpm, 356 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

The only "logical" reason they would do this is back to the rumor we heard about the "BOSS" when it first came out. It can't stand the heat !

Just think, if Ford would have spent the money to spread the bore centers when they switched from Modular to Coyote they could be building all sorts of V8 engines off the same tooling.

They didnt want to spend then, theyll be spending now and the Coyote still has the tight bore spacing.

You have forgotten ! The "BOSS" 6.2L was supposed to be the first of a new family of engines ! There was going to be a smaller one to replace the 4.6L and a larger one (7.0L) for Super Duty. Only the mid size (and first) survived because the really wanted to kill of the V10 (it was expansive to manufacture and it never got good fuel economy). It was decided to not put the 6.2L in any commercial applications, because (according to the urban legend) it could not pass Ford's own durability test for commercial trucks.

The "Coyote" came about just as the auto industry was heading into the Recession and only because a bunch of "boy racers" were able to convince management that they could get a lot more power out of the 4.6L block without (major) changes to the engine machining line. This save Ford $100s of millions at a time when every penny counted.

Of course the big and the little BOSS never happened either because their fuel economy numbers were NOT very good either, so the 6.8L soldiered on !

The bottom line, the 7.3L has to get better fuel economy and power than either the 6.2L or 6.8L (2 or 3 valve) AND solve whatever. My SWAG is 3V OHC.

Edited by theoldwizard

Which leads one to wonder, is the 7.3 just a bored and stroked 6.2?

I highly doubt it since if that were the case, we would have seen the details of this "new" engine months ago. I suspect this engine will be interestingly different with a lot of new technology based on the amount of secrecy about an allegedly mundane medium series truck motor.

I highly doubt it since if that were the case, we would have seen the details of this "new" engine months ago. I suspect this engine will be interestingly different with a lot of new technology based on the amount of secrecy about an allegedly mundane medium series truck motor.

Yeah, if it were simply a stroked and bored 6.2, I'm thinking that it would already be in the Super Duties. Given the apparent and rumored design deficiencies in the 6.2 (de-tuned from the F-150, de-tuned even further for the E-Series, not available above F-350), it seems that it would have to differ significantly from the 6.2.

Yeah, if it were simply a stroked and bored 6.2, I'm thinking that it would already be in the Super Duties. Given the apparent and rumored design deficiencies in the 6.2 (de-tuned from the F-150, de-tuned even further for the E-Series, not available above F-350), it seems that it would have to differ significantly from the 6.2.

And first and foremost isn't the primary reason for the new 7.? to provide a real viable gasoline/gaseous motor for class 6 and 7? I think plenty of people have expressed the opinion that the 6.2 just can't cut it in true medium duty (class 6 and 7). Plus the 6.2 is made in which plant? I don't think its Ontario-they are spending big bucks there so that is another reason that says the 6.2 was NOT suitable-had it been no need to spend the bucks in Canada.

Bob, I hope youre right. Adding to your point, if this truly a big truck engine only I seriously hope they spread the bore spacing out even larger than the 6.2. The 6.2 has a bore spacing of about 4.52, this is not large enough for an 8.0 liter future expansion which may be necessary IMHO.

This very thing my be why the lead up to this utilitarian engine is so hush hush. Im pretty sure Gm and FCA are readying HD gas truck engines for themselves. Ford may have well decided to gain leadership in this arena.

Its been 20+ years since the Modular and Coyote platform has been restrained by a significantly smaller bore size compared to the competition. The Coyote is the absolute best performance engine in its class but somewhat encumbered by giving up so much in engine displacement.

BTW, are we sure this is a V8 at all? What if Ford pulls a fast one and drops a big gas in-line 6 on us? That might be a game changer.

That would really be something! Did that oil spec sheet say "7.3L gas" or "7.3L gas V8"?

At 7.3 and "square" dimensions, a straight six would have ~116mm bores. So probably minimum 125mm (~5.00") bore spacing. That's going to be one long engine!

A giant straight six would be cool though. I can't think of any other gas sixes that size that were ever used in an auto/truck application. The Ford "brazil" engines were large bore and stroke industrial motors and did have a gas version for the gas tractors but they only ever made them in 3 and 4 cylinder models. The inline 6 versions were diesel only.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

BTW, are we sure this is a V8 at all? What if Ford pulls a fast one and drops a big gas in-line 6 on us? That might be a game changer.

Ford has said jack about it, but they haven't done a straight 6 in North America in almost 25 years, so a pushrod V8 seems like a better bet, and I don't think that is a very good bet.

The closest we've gotten to any confirmation at all was what that politician gal in Canada said a few months ago, but I'm not sure if she said they were V-engines. Then again, what she said isn't necessarily gospel, either.