New Light & Medium Duty News

Didn't know that 7M3..thanks for the info.  Meanwhile Ford has its work cut out for them.  I found out about this BMC heavy truck mfr. which supposedly is one of the largest Turkish mfrs.! You can type it into your browser and come up with all sorts of sites and videos.  On a side note and off-topic, there's another video that is sad (and unfortunately funny at the same time).  Ever hear of ticked off Vic?  I've watched a few more than once and I'm still on the floor laughing.  Animal crackers, candy canes, bacon; Santa Claus; and ED are hilarious.  However he has a Ford "steering wheel could come loose" recall video that bothers me as it should any loyal Ford fan.  You can type it in your browsers; I'm not going to paste all these links in.  

On 1/5/2019 at 11:39 PM, jpd80 said:

Bob, you talk in market share but the figures I have  currently is YTD 11 month to November shows that Ford sales of class 4 to 7 has actually grown slightly year over year. I'm hoping to get the final counts in the next week or so but until then, I can give these.

Ford.....................11 Mths 2018...............11 Mths 2017 ............11 Mths % change

Class 4.......................29,066..........................30,486.......................- 4.7%........a drop of 1420

Class 5.......................46,714..........................43,662.......................+7.0%.......an increase of 3,052

Class 6.......................18,762..........................17,101.......................+9.7%.......an increase of 1,661

Class 7........................1,690...........................1,654.........................+2.2%......an increase of 36

Class 8...........................171..............................151.......................+13.2%........(a version of F750 that's technically class 8 ?

TOTAL....................96,403......................93,054.......................+3.6%........an increase of 3,349

So a little bit of perspective here, Ford did 909,000 F Series this year, class 4 to 7 =~10 to11% of that, class 2 & 3 = 90%

On 1/6/2019 at 12:03 AM, jpd80 said:

More

Ram.....................11 Mths 2018...............11 Mths 2017 ............11 Mths % change

Class 5.......................14,228..........................15,501.......................- 8.2%........a drop of 1273

Hino.....................11 Mths 2018...............11 Mths 2017 ............11 Mths % change

Class 4.......................1,167...............................897..........................+30.1%........an increase of 270

Class 5.......................2,352............................2,144............................+8.7%.......an increase of 208

Class 6.......................7,029.............................6,062..........................+16.0%.......an increase of 967

Class 7......................1,882.............................1,748.............................+7.7%.......an increase of 134

TOTAL...................12,430.........................10,851.......................+14.6%......an increase of 1,579

Jpd,

Do you have an update for us for where they ended the year?

This just in:  Full page ad in Sunday morning's Hartford Courant says "The Rams already lost!"  Now at first I thought they meant the LA Rams, right?  And well probably they will lose--sorry Ram fans , but you have to admit the Patriots have to be the greatest team in history! I think Bob from MA will, agree!  I'm gonna get a lot of flack for that!  Anyway looking further down, the ad was a GMC truck ad and they mean Dodge Rams because the rest of the ad says "and so didn't the F150's and Tundras!"  Notice they didn't say Chevrolet!  Then it shows that new 6 position tailgate that GMC (and strangely not Chevy--yet!) is touting.  I'll give them credit, it is impressive, as long as it doesn't experience problems.  Also, check out "Ford Big Rigs Worldwide" on Facebook.  And Bob, try not to cry!  Coincidently, an article in today's paper also lists the positives and negatives if the Patriots had relocated to Hartford as proposed between then-Gov. Rowland and Robert Kraft some 20 years ago.  By the way, do you think that print ad is being shown on the west coast!!??  I doubt it!!  One more thing.  I don't understand why they have GMC and Chevrolet trucks.  Were they too proud to drop the GMC nameplate?  I mean they both sell the same products!  They would have been better off dropping GMC and Buick and keeping the Pontiac brand with its iconic Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider Trans Ams.  

Edited by Joe771476

31 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

This just in:  Full page ad in Sunday morning's Hartford Courant says "The Rams already lost!"  Now at first I thought they meant the LA Rams, right?  And well probably they will lose--sorry Ram fans , but you have to admit the Patriots have to be the greatest team in history! I think Bob from MA will, agree!  I'm gonna get a lot of flack for that!  Anyway looking further down, the ad was a GMC truck ad and they mean Dodge Rams because the rest of the ad says "and so didn't the F150's and Tundras!"  Notice they didn't say Chevrolet!  Then it shows that new 6 position tailgate that GMC (and strangely not Chevy--yet!) is touting.  I'll give them credit, it is impressive, as long as it doesn't experience problems.  Also, check out "Ford Big Rigs Worldwide" on Facebook.  And Bob, try not to cry!  Coincidently, an article in today's paper also lists the positives and negatives if the Patriots had relocated to Hartford as proposed between then-Gov. Rowland and Robert Kraft some 20 years ago.  By the way, do you think that print ad is being shown on the west coast!!??  I doubt it!!  One more thing.  I don't understand why they have GMC and Chevrolet trucks.  Were they too proud to drop the GMC nameplate?  I mean they both sell the same products!  They would have been better off dropping GMC and Buick and keeping the Pontiac brand with its iconic Smokey and the Bandit and Knight Rider Trans Ams.  

Hah Joe- Guess we should give them credit for an eye catching theme-hopefully it will be the same theme tonight. The boys at Mopar/Ram/Dodge/ FCA have other ideas in terms of who moves into 2nd place.  And as for that tailgate, yes it is a clever gimmick.  We shall see how they survive a few winters of salt and road grime.

And if you want to talk about the GMC/Chevy nameplate issue, I think the dumbest thing they did is give the new JV class 4-6 trucks to Chevrolet vs GMC.  Think of it- who sold big trucks in the old days?-GMC.  What has the tag line for GMC always been?..."The Truck people from General Motors".  Sounds like there was an internal power struggle and the Chevy guys won out.   "We have more dealers", therefore let's build them up".  I can name at least 4 GMC dealers here in central/eastern Mass that were big time commercial truck dealers.  Can't name one Chevy dealership in same geography that comes to mind as selling anything but class1-3.  If I was a GMC dealer right now I would be thinking about how I could sue their ass.  And yes, I'm sure many will say they will survive selling high end Denalis, Arcadias etc.  But I think not all of them will look at it that way.  As the Saints could say,,," we wuz robbed"!

And as for Kraft, I think that was always just a negotiating game he played-and won.  Just think with that last loon you had for a gov, good thing he made the decision he did.

Go Pats!

Looks like its official....7.3L V8 is an OHV design...wow!! I would've bet a paycheck it would have been an OHC design....

http://www.campaign.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2019/02/05/new-ford-f-series-super-duty-pickup-raises-bar-again.html

The 7.3-liter gas V8 engine delivers high performance in a compact package. Based on decades of commercial engine experience, this 7.3-liter is expected to be the most powerful gas V8 in its class – providing durability, ease of maintenance, and the towing and payload capability customers want. it uses an all-new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with cast iron block and forged steel crankshaft for maximum durability. Port injection with variable-valve timing optimizes the intake and exhaust to match performance with workloads. Oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads

image.thumb.png.0e2c59aec51a815bfd51dba321e43720.png

...and this from Equipment World...with a picture of it....

https://www.equipmentworld.com/ford-unveils-2020-super-duty-trucks-with-more-powerful-6-7l-power-stroke-new-gas-v8-option/#gallery-2

Edited by twintornados

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Looks like its official....7.3L V8 is an OHV design...wow!! I would've bet a paycheck it would have been an OHC design....

Concur !

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

Small enough to fit in an E-Series

This is really the only reason I can think of for OHV !  They did get the 6.2L in there just recently so I thought they had already done what was required to fit a larger OHC version.

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

Concur !

This is really the only reason I can think of for OHV !  They did get the 6.2L in there just recently so I thought they had already done what was required to fit a larger OHC version.

They used to fit the 460, V10 and 7.3 diesel in there.

5 hours ago, J-150 said:

Small enough to fit in an E-Series

Exactly what I was thinking...

So rather than designing a new E-series, Ford decided to design a new engine to fit in the existing E-series. I guess this will put to rest any speculation that Ford will replace the E-series anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-150 said:

They used to fit the 460, V10 and 7.3 diesel in there.

Not to mention the 3 foot long straight six.

Although the 3v valve covers on the 5.4 and 6.8 were enough of a problem to keep the 2v versions in production for an extra decade, so I'd venture a guess that width is the limiting factor. It would make sense that ohc heads on a tall-deck, big-bore block would have simply been too wide.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

I fixed it for them:

"It uses all-new, cam-in-block, overhead valve Chevy LS architecture".

All new?  When, 1949???

Seriously, looks like it might be a great truck motor, but you can forget about ever seeing it in a Mustang.

I suspect you're right, although it doesn't have to be that way. GM does just fine with those crappy old tech LS motors in their performance stuff.  It's not like the industry doesn't have at least 5 decades of experience under it's belt getting pushrod motors to spin as fast as anybody wants. Giving the 7.3 an aluminum block and a little attention to lightening the valvetrain would yield a formidable mustang powerplant.

28 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

I fixed it for them:

"It uses all-new, cam-in-block, overhead valve Chevy LS architecture".

All new?  When, 1949???

Seriously, looks like it might be a great truck motor, but you can forget about ever seeing it in a Mustang.

Study an LS. It looks more like a "design study in Ford V-8's from 1954 to 1970" than anything the General put out in that time period. It's a small block Chevy in name only.

That being said; there are quite a few designs shared by all the domestic automakers during the 50's & 60's.

29 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I suspect you're right, although it doesn't have to be that way. GM does just fine with those crappy old tech LS motors in their performance stuff.  It's not like the industry doesn't have at least 5 decades of experience under it's belt getting pushrod motors to spin as fast as anybody wants. Giving the 7.3 an aluminum block and a little attention to lightening the valvetrain would yield a formidable mustang powerplant.

I think the height would be the biggest stumbling block for a Mustang. That puppy appears to be very tall....could just be from the fact that it is faily narrow.

30 minutes ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Mike Levine himself said its only for Super Duty so you can forget about that dream for now

Until they change their minds like they did with the 3.0 EcoBoost 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Exactly what I was thinking...

So rather than designing a new E-series, Ford decided to design a new engine to fit in the existing E-series. I guess this will put to rest any speculation that Ford will replace the E-series anytime soon.

Woudn't bet on that either-maybe the Work Truck Show in March will have other news.  Again-Ford is building trucks on 3 cab structures at OAP- Steel SD on 650/750, aluminum SD on 450-550, and the E series.  No doubt one of the sales points Beltramo mentions is the new 7.3 is much narrower allowing for better underhood airflow  providing better cooling. but that doesn't say they still won't do something cab wise.

18 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Mike Levine himself said its only for Super Duty so you can forget about that dream for now

Until they change their minds like they did with the 3.0 EcoBoost 

And I think if you listen to the head engineer I think he is emphatic-..."this is a medium duty truck engine"  ..."power at low RPM"  .  Justification IMO for a push rod design vs, a high reving complicated OHC design.

• Like 1