New Light & Medium Duty News

Finally justice is served!!!  Sometimes the pic shows up right at the beginning.  If it doesn't, just scroll all the way to the very end!  Bob R. will be happy!  Also, check out some "strange and funny looking buses" links on youtube.  Really interesting stuff!  One link has a pretty blue Ford C-series tractor hauling a trailer bus.

Top 20 Acidentes Com Caminhões Caçamba | #VaiTombar | #FailCompilation - YouTube

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Finally justice is served!!!  Sometimes the pic shows up right at the beginning.  If it doesn't, just scroll all the way to the very end!  Bob R. will be happy!  Also, check out some "strange and funny looking buses" links on youtube.  Really interesting stuff!  One link has a pretty blue Ford C-series tractor hauling a trailer bus.

Top 20 Acidentes Com Caminhões Caçamba | #VaiTombar | #FailCompilation - YouTube

Dump truck 101-Rule 1.  Make sure you are on solid ground. Rule 2-Be sure tail gate is unlocked.

14 hours ago, lfeg said:

A Chevy dealer I drove by in Whitehall NY today had 4 of the Chevy version of the Isuzu NPR chassis cab on their lot.

Your post prompted me to do a search in Albany area looking for a Ford dealer who was stocking mediums-in the old days it was Orange Motors- They are gone and I could not find one who had anything other than a 550!

Wow! Did you read the second paragraph in that Reuters GM article that selling heavy duty trucks translates or trickles down to tons of smaller vehicle sales!!??  That's what I've been saying for 10 years now! 

I did and I recall your frequent posts to that effect.

Also did you note....Ford executives say they have no special plans to counter GM's expanded truck portfolio. "We're just going to do what we always do," said John Ruppert, Ford's general manager for commercial vehicle sales.

How dumb or arrogant can you be?

Wow! Did you read the second paragraph in that Reuters GM article that selling heavy duty trucks translates or trickles down to tons of smaller vehicle sales!!??  That's what I've been saying for 10 years now! 

Does it benefit dealers that sell medium trucks or do you mean GM as a whole? Not every dealership gets to sell medium duty trucks.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:06 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

Your post prompted me to do a search in Albany area looking for a Ford dealer who was stocking mediums-in the old days it was Orange Motors- They are gone and I could not find one who had anything other than a 550!

When I dove by on Friday, there were six at a display lot, two box trucks added. The dealer is Hometown Chevy. It seem that mediums are a regional thing - either there is an aggressive dealer in the mediums, or just several who will do a medium if a customer specifically asks, and maybe have one of the larger mediums on the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's going to be a flathead, may as well make it a flathead six.

On a barely related note, I was at a farm equipment auction over the summer that had a couple hundred old Ford tractors. Among them were three 8Ns that had the "Funk Brothers" conversion. One was a flathead V8 and the other two were flathead sixes (I think 226 was the common Ford six of the era). I had a chance to test drive them and those sixes were smooth as silk. Rated at 85 hp, they were way more than the 8N chassis was able to put to the earth, but what fun nonetheless.  The flathead V8 one bought decent money, but the sixes went for about $2500. I'd never seen before and couldn't think of a use for one at the time so I didn't bid. But I've been kicking myself ever since over it. Man those things were so cool!

18 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

If it's going to be a flathead, may as well make it a flathead six.

On a barely related note, I was at a farm equipment auction over the summer that had a couple hundred old Ford tractors. Among them were three 8Ns that had the "Funk Brothers" conversion. One was a flathead V8 and the other two were flathead sixes (I think 226 was the common Ford six of the era). I had a chance to test drive them and those sixes were smooth as silk. Rated at 85 hp, they were way more than the 8N chassis was able to put to the earth, but what fun nonetheless.  The flathead V8 one bought decent money, but the sixes went for about $2500. I'd never seen before and couldn't think of a use for one at the time so I didn't bid. But I've been kicking myself ever since over it. Man those things were so cool!

Yeah, I've seen pictures of the Funk conversions, but I've never seen one in person. I'm surprised that the two sixes went so low--that's a decent price for a running 8N of any type. 

Of course, if I'd been there, they would've gone for ten times that price. Or at least $5 more than I could've afforded to spend. A year or two back, I went to an auction where they had a used John Deere utility tractor package that was split up into its components (tractor, trailer, brush hog, and, IIRC, box blade). They sold the tractor alone for more money than it would cost you to buy the whole package brand new  from a John Deere dealer. I don't recall the exact numbers, but the package would've cost you around $18,750 new, but the tractor went for $20K. People be crazy at auctions.

• Like 1

Running 9Ns were going for $900. Running 8Ns were going $1300. Jubilee's could be had for $1800. I bought an excellent running post-1965 2000 gasser with nice paint, 4 good turfs, and remotes for $2400. The steal of the auction was a very nice restoration 961 diesel w/ remotes that went for $2600. I wasn't paying attention to that one or it would have come home with me.

It was a great auction! I've never seen that many Fords in one place and it was true no-reserve.

On the flip side, a buddy of mine was just at another auction trying to get a 2012 F250 4wd XL reg cab gasser as a backup plow truck. Stupid thing got bid up to $36k. Talk about irrational auction behavior!

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

Running 9Ns were going for $900. Running 8Ns were going $1300. Jubilee's could be had for $1800. I bought an excellent running post-1965 2000 gasser with nice paint, 4 good turfs, and remotes for $2400. The steal of the auction was a very nice restoration 961 diesel w/ remotes that went for $2600. I wasn't paying attention to that one or it would have come home with me.

It was a great auction! I've never seen that many Fords in one place and it was true no-reserve.

On the flip side, a buddy of mine was just at another auction trying to get a 2012 F250 4wd XL reg cab gasser as a backup plow truck. Stupid thing got bid up to $36k. Talk about irrational auction behavior!

My dad has a 960 Row Crop gasser with power steering that I used to rake many a windrow of hay before we switched to a wheel rake. That sucker will turn on a dime. About the only problem was climbing up onto the running board; that thing dearly needs a step, especially when you have to get back on it after you've been taking hay most of a hot summer day...

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Test engines are starting to be produced now...

So real world-that means production and installation is what?   at least 12 mos down the road?  I talked to a guy yesterday whose dealership moves a lot of 650/750 and he has not received ANY press from Ford about what is coming-then again why am I surprised at that.

55 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

I see Sprinter is doing a TV media blitz touting their van's "Made in America", gas and diesel options etc. Let's hope Ford's Transit leadership won't result in complacency like it did with L-series heavy truck, Taurus, Lincoln etc.

Joe-we can only hope.  And you can bet the new Sprinter will be nothing like the early generation of rust buckets. 

Will Ford sit on their ass? I previously posted  this comment by the GM of commercial vehicle sales...Ford executives say they have no special plans to counter GM's expanded truck portfolio. "We're just going to do what we always do," said John Ruppert, Ford's general manager for commercial vehicle sale.

This comment was made in reference to the new GM/International class 4-5 and 6 trucks that are now being shipped to dealers.  In talking to a dealer friend about the new 7+L V-8, he had no knowledge of that.  In a prior conversation with him, Ford had not issued one bit of "intelligence" to their dealers about these new competitors in 4-6 so apparently Ford is not into making sure their dealer base has  any talking points to counter what the competition will be offering.

On thing for sure, market share across the board in these respective classes will NOT go up.

I tell ya this medium duty truck apathy is really discouraging. 

Ford could counter the Gm/Navistar onslaught at least a little by touting the new 7X engine and I believe HD 10spd transmission that I think will back it up. 

Ford ran some decent ads about the 6.2 engine covering how tough they built it. 

I realize medium duty truck engines aren't necessarily consumer items but it’s already been confirmed that the 7X will trickle all the way down to F250. 

Sit on your hands at your own peril Ford. 

6 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

I tell ya this medium duty truck apathy is really discouraging. 

Ford could counter the Gm/Navistar onslaught at least a little by touting the new 7X engine and I believe HD 10spd transmission that I think will back it up. 

In particular as the new GM/Navistars will not have a gasoline option-t least initially

Ford ran some decent ads about the 6.2 engine covering how tough they built it. 

I realize medium duty truck engines aren't necessarily consumer items but it’s already been confirmed that the 7X will trickle all the way down to F250. 

Sit on your hands at your own peril Ford

Something they have always been good at-kick ass in a market and then ignore it.

Just a heads up on sales from last month

Heavy Trucks F650/F750.........................1,048

Class 4 (F450)...........................................1,965

Class 5 (F550)...........................................4,063

F150/F250...............................................66,074

F Series (Excludes F650/F750)..............72,102

One thing, Ford does not need to expand to medium duty class trucks, because they are already there. 

BTW, "what we have always done" means they will counter with improvements. 

GM still has no competitor to the F-750, Transit Connect, and the future Ranchero.

Globally, GM has no competitor to the Cargo, F-Max, Transit Courier, and Transit Custom nor JMC's light truck line in China.

GM is also losing their global mid-size truck partner as Isuzu is going with Mazda. GM could very well close down Thai production of the Colorado. 

The best of Ford always comes forward when it comes to trucks. They haven't messed it up in 20 years (referring to the sale of their NA heavy truck line to Daimler and European heavy truck to Fiat in the 90s.)

• Like 2