New Light & Medium Duty News

New standards for 2021 doesn't really make sense to cancel 2020. Unless they're rolling out new engines really early in 2020 (January maybe), so aren't going to bother with a short run.

Yes, run the 19MY long, then just go to 2021MY. Updated 2020, Super Duty has a late 19CY into, so ~6 weeks later they could be building 2021 Medium Duty.

• Like 1

Yes, run the 19MY long, then just go to 2021MY. Updated 2020, Super Duty has a late 19CY into, so ~6 weeks later they could be building 2021 Medium Duty.

On that list, 2019 Medium duty is listed as TBD, so maybe. I wonder if it could mean an all new effort (with a new cab) is on the horizon?

That list is for the end of production for 2019 so all the TBD means is they haven't decided on when they are going to wrap up MY2019 production.

Right, I know. That was my point - they put TBD because they haven't decided - they could run it longer than normal if they want.

New F-Max from Turkey brochure gives some interesting specs about the new EcoTorq 12.7L E6D compliant motor.

https://www.fordtrucks.com.tr/Uploads/Foy/fmax_technical_brochure.pdf

TT- thx for posting-This truck is "truck of year" as announced this week at big commercial vehicle show in Germany. In typical Ford fashion-no attempt at giving this any press-even if the truck doesn't come here, it speaks well for Ford's engineering ability-and the public doesn't need to know how much Dearborn was involved.

Could even improve Ford's image with financial community giving Hackett's continued failure to impress those folks. Lord knows the train station purchase hasn't done much.

• Like 1

TT- thx for posting-This truck is "truck of year" as announced this week at big commercial vehicle show in Germany. In typical Ford fashion-no attempt at giving this any press-even if the truck doesn't come here, it speaks well for Ford's engineering ability-and the public doesn't need to know how much Dearborn was involved.

Could even improve Ford's image with financial community giving Hackett's continued failure to impress those folks. Lord knows the train station purchase hasn't done much.

I wonder if we'd ever see it here?

I wonder if we'd ever see it here?

My guess is snowball's chance in hell. Cab overs are out in the US and as far as it being a "sleeper", the sleepers in use here today are typically "high cab" conventionals so the driver can stand up and walk to a double wide bunk, sit down and watch TV while his dinner is in the microwave! If it ever stood a chance, I could see it as as short BBC (bumper to back of cab) version without a bunk for regional distribution. If Ford would do anything from the Ford/Otosan deal I would hope that the 9L Ecotorque could be federalized for use in 750-if it survives!

Then again many on this thread with far more insight than I say it would cost too much to meet US EPA diesel specs.

Question: There have been many sightings of 2020 Super Duty prototypes being tested. Has anyone seen any 2020 650's or 750's being tested? I would think if Ford is going to build a 2020 medium duty, they would need to test the new 7.3L in those applications. Of course, the external appearance of the truck may not change, so there probably wouldn't be a need to camouflage it.

Question: There have been many sightings of 2020 Super Duty prototypes being tested. Has anyone seen any 2020 650's or 750's being tested? I would think if Ford is going to build a 2020 medium duty, they would need to test the new 7.3L in those applications. Of course, the external appearance of the truck may not change, so there probably wouldn't be a need to camouflage it.

Have we seen any 2020 Super Duty chassis cabs being tested?

Powertrains are almost ALWAYS tested in existing vehicles.

• Like 1

Rumor is that test engines and transmissions are expected to commence production late this year

with full production of the 7.3 and 10R140 available by August 2019

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Does this clear up the rumors about mediums going away?

I hope it's true, but I really wouldn't expect Ford to say anything different at this point. The 2019's are out, and Ford wouldn't want to kill the sales of those trucks. Wouldn't want to scare the dealers either.

Swung through the Altec lot this AM. As usual, Super Duty rules in class 4 and 5-not sure if I even saw a Dodge. Interesting thing however is I have never seen so many big chassis there. And I mean tandems as well as a couple of tandems with pushers installed.

The usual mix of F'liners, Paccars, Internationals and for the first time Western Stars. And the utilities are not afraid to spend- a lot of these trucks were equipped with aluminum wheels. I don't think of bucket trucks as being in a particular weight sensitive class where you can justify the premium for these wheels because of increased payloads, and I don't think you can claim they run any truer than a steel disc wheel so what's the reason? Appearance is only thing I can think of.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here is a beauty of a 750.  Most dealers that advertise 650/750 seem to be sticking to the 26,000 lb rating-as well as the V-10.  we have a dealer here in Mass (Ipswich Ford) that probably sells as many 650/750's as anyone here in New England.

This is a new 750 they have in stock that actually is a class 8 as it has a 12 front, 23 rear, heavy rubber, 31,000 lb rear spring package and big single channel frame but also has Ford's "delete option" that gives the truck a 33,000 lb plate to avoid the FET. You can download the specs at Ipswichfordtrucks.net.

By the way was talking to one of the owners and he said as far as OAP goes trucks come in and basically they check fluids and tire pressures and that's it-build quality is excellent.  

Good news.F-750-side.htmF-750 Body.htm

F-750 Body.htm

• 3 weeks later...