New Light & Medium Duty News

I've read that it shares the bore spacing with the 6.2L.

I have too. A large 6 cylinder would have emissions problems and a V-10 Coyote would have a very high parts count, one of the reasons why Ford wants to replace the V-10.

Starting to look like the 6.2L is a road to nowhere. I will say I think's it's the best 'truck' gas engine Ford has made in many years though.

Starting to look like the 6.2L is a road to nowhere. I will say I think's it's the best 'truck' gas engine Ford has made in many years though.

Meh. It's the best of the current three on the market, with the 6.4 hemi a very close second and the 6.0 vortec a distant third. None of them stack up the V10 in a pickup though. Those 6.8s are right in their wheelhouse when loaded up heavy.

I agree the V10 does a great job. It goes against popular opinion in that it has compromises like a split pin crankshaft and a balance shaft etc. I guess the other big thing is being a Mod derivative it is so necessarily undersquare to get and cubes out of it.

Yes I know the Mods have really been superb in most ways I think they couldve really benefited from a little more displacement capability.

In the case of the 5.4 and the 6.8 V10 you have a long rod to maintain geometry with the long stroke coupled with the OHC cylinder head configuration with cam over follower you really have a tall and wide engine package.

This new engine needs to be epic like the FE was in 1958 and the 385 was in 1968.

I reject the notion that the 6.2 couldnt have been pressed into motor home duty etc. I admit Im not well versed in manufacturing but Ill bet if the machining centers could still be used it wouldnt have taken much to fix any problems.

Meh. It's the best of the current three on the market, with the 6.4 hemi a very close second and the 6.0 vortec a distant third. None of them stack up the V10 in a pickup though. Those 6.8s are right in their wheelhouse when loaded up heavy.

The 6.0L Vortec is 3rd. in power, but I think it's the most durable. Had good luck with the 6.2L. The V-10 was a tremendous dud before it got the 3 valve head. After it would make good power if you revved the snot out of it, but it wasn't as durable as the 2 valve version. Those are my experiences.

Eagerly waiting 7X!

Hmm. I've had real good luck with several 2v tens now. One in a F250, three vans, and now an excursion. I've pulled real heavy (10k+ trailer) with the pickup and excursion and it's the best gas engine I've ever towed with. I haven't owned a 3v yet, but have driven them plenty and find them to be a slightly peppier version of the 2v, except the 5R110 shifting program is, well, ... interesting. My experience with the 6.2 (and GM and Ram equivalents) show their lack of displacement by requiring revving the snot out of them to get a load moving. The V10 will come up to speed without the drama. Of course any of them are going to want 4000 rpm to pull a hill loaded, but that's just the nature of gas engines.

The other thing I learned about 2v tens is that Ford set it up to loose about 30% of it's power through the torque converter in the 4R100. I figured this out the first time I drove one with a ZF. The difference in giddyup was eye opening. Since then I put a tune on the excursion and tightening up that converter did wonders. It took a full second off the 0-60 time.

I have an '04 F-250 with the 6.8 2V.

I've towed with 460's, 454's, 8.1L's & 7.3L diesels. With the 4.30 gears I have; I can keep up with the 7.3L diesel (buddy has one in '00 Excursion) and there really isn't a comparison with the older V-8's. The 8.1L GM was decent, but the V-10 is superior.

I have a buddy that has an 8.1L GMC that he bought new in '03. Two years ago he bought an E-450 camper with the 2V 6.8L. He reluctantly mentioned in conversation how I was right about that being "one hell of a towing combination". He uses his camper to pull his race car trailer with his race car. He's a big GM guy, but says that he's a believer in the 6.8 being the best gas tow engine built in modern times.

Much of what Ford did or avoided doing was all about saving money,

woulda coulda shoulda all involves doing things or spending money

to change what was already available- try justifying that to bean counters

That's been an issue for FoMoCo for decades. All manufacturer have that same battle, it just seems Ford Engineering loses more than the others.

• Like 1

On my way to Cape Cod yesterday on I-495 and had a UPS 650 box sighting! Again, anyone have a clue as to how many they bought?

On a negative note saw a new Hino 24/26' box in National Lumber colors. National is a big family owned yard with probably 8 location in Ma, NH and now Conn. they are a gorilla that is big enough that they have a big DC that takes in rail cars of material. They keep buying up the big family owned independents that can't compete with the Orange and Blue yards.

Years ago a big Ford fleet. Now everything but-of late a lot of Western Stars and F'liners. This new Hino was first one of those I saw. But I'm listening to a Cape radio this AM and GMC/Hino dealer as an add on for "best in Class" Hino 268's. In stock all wheelbases, air brakes, engine specs etc. To the small business man, they do a good job of pitching the Japanese quality image.

I live near a UPS package center and drive by the back side at least once a week. Never seen a "box truck" there. Tractor trailers and delivery vans (a couple of different styles), but no box trucks.

My understanding is the larger hubs have these class 6 trucks to handle larger commercial drops-so instead of taking up a lot of cube on a "package car's" daily route, they consolidate some of these larger volume stops onto these boxes.

I also imagine they do a fair amount of pick ups as well at larger commercial stops which then goes to the hub for breakdown.

Would be nice if any OAP employees who visit this site could comment about number of these UPS trucks have been built.

I did ask my long time UPS driver who serves my neighborhood about these trucks and he said his hub doesn't have any of these boxes. I would imagine these trucks serve a pretty big territory encompassing several hubs.

Not my photo but they do exist

28011405148_66e3afd7dc_b.jpgUnited Parcel Service (UPS) Ford F650 delivery truck in Downtown Los Angeles (LA), USA by Seacats, on Flickr

And perhaps this next photo can shed some light on their use... looks like UPS is using the F650 the same way they are using the Frightliner M2 medium duty

41880777031_562b30c838_b.jpgUnited Parcel Service (UPS) Freightliner delivery truck in Downtown Los Angeles (LA), USA by Seacats, on Flickr

Edited by bzcat

Not my photo but they do exist

28011405148_66e3afd7dc_b.jpgUnited Parcel Service (UPS) Ford F650 delivery truck in Downtown Los Angeles (LA), USA by Seacats, on Flickr

And perhaps this next photo can shed some light on their use... looks like UPS is using the F650 the same way they are using the Frightliner M2 medium duty

41880777031_562b30c838_b.jpgUnited Parcel Service (UPS) Freightliner delivery truck in Downtown Los Angeles (LA), USA by Seacats, on Flickr

thx for posting. No visible "Power Stroke" badge but given UPS's old practice of no manufacturers logo, that would ot be surprising=although blue oval is on hood. Doesn't look like the F-liner has the usual hood badge.

As F'liner has no gasoline option, assuming the 650 is a V-10, huge incentive to buy assuming these are low mileage units.

When I used to work in distribution, our UPS driver would pick up from our warehouse in a medium similar to those, only it was the F-Series mediums prior to the Blue Diamond mediums (that tells you how long ago it was)! The driver referred to the medium box truck as "The Moose."

My understanding is the larger hubs have these class 6 trucks to handle larger commercial drops-so instead of taking up a lot of cube on a "package car's" daily route, they consolidate some of these larger volume stops onto these boxes.

I also imagine they do a fair amount of pick ups as well at larger commercial stops which then goes to the hub for breakdown.

The UPS hub is less than 10 miles from an Amazon distribution center and less than 25 mile from DTW.

And UPS left the Ford blue oval logo on??!! WOW! Ever since I posted the medium duty walk around videos above, I've found some other amazing videos including road trains hauling 3, 6, 10, 20 trailers, largest constr. equip., largest dump trucks, bulldozers falling off flatbeds, flatbeds that articulate in the middle then drag the rear part up until it meets the front half then lifts it onto the back of the tractor, dump trucks that dump in ways you might have never imagined including double dump trailers whose bodies slide into each other, tractor trailers being driven across raging rivers of 2 foot deep water and making it, train wrecks etc. Aw you wouldn't believe this stuff!! But I came upon "top 6 dump trucks" and to my amazement the first one was a 5-axle dump with 2 front steering axles and a REAR steering axle that appeared to be a Turkish-made Ford Cargo!! But it didn't have the blue oval on the front. Wouldn't you know I can't find that video now but after some research I found this. I think GINAF makes the chassis. This is not a video and some models do NOT come with rear steering axle, but the video I saw did show the rear axle steering very clearly.

New GINAF has Ford cab and Cummins power - Trucking News - BigMackTrucks.com

Edited by Joe771476

News from Germany.

Commercial Motor / September 19, 2018

The Ford F-MAX was crowned International Truck of the Year 2019 (IToY) at the IAA Show in Hannover today (19 September).

With 104 votes, the new Turkish-built truck beat Scania’s L- and P-series urban distribution trucks (74 points) and Volvo’s gas-powered FH (56 points) into second and third places.

The jury, which consists of 23 commercial vehicle journalists from across Europe, was impressed with the newcomer, which features a flat floor, 500hp Ford Ecotorq engine and ZF TraXon gearbox. They praised the efficiency and advanced characteristics of its driveline, including eco-roll, adaptive cruise control and GPS-based predictive cruise control.

IToY chairman Gianenrico Griffini said: “With the introduction of F-Max, Ford Trucks has delivered a fine engineered tractor that can be a meaningful new player in the highly competitive segment of long-haul transport.”

These sentiments were echoed by UK jury member Will Shiers, who said: “While Ford’s previous Turkish-built trucks have been competent products suited to the domestic and nearby markets, the F-MAX is entirely different. It is capable of competing with the established players on the global stage with no allowances asked for or needed.”

MAN Truck & Bus won the first IToY Truck Innovation Award in recognition for its eFAS level 4 automated driverless safety truck (left). The eFAS, which tows a safety sign and follows road crews on motorways, scored 93 points, and fought off competition from the Mercedes-Benz eActros (56 points), Renault Trucks’ second-generation Range D ZE Electric (45 points), ZF’s Innovation Truck (36 points), Volvo Trucks’ eFL and eFE (28 points) and DAF’s Ecochamps (25 points).

Shiers said: “This truck has the ability to save lives, and is the first platoon I’ve seen that actually makes sense.”

For the International Van of the Year, Peugeot, Citroën and Vauxhall were named the joint winners for their new small van. The Partner-Berlingo-Combo trio convincingly claimed the award with127 points, while second-placed Mercedes-Benz Sprinter scored 92 points. Third place was awarded to the Ford Transit Connect, which received 33 votes from the 25 jury members.

The victory is the second IVoY win for Peugeot-Citroën’s light van, having previously won the award in 1997 for the first-generation van, as well as on three other occasions for its mid-sized and compact vans. Vauxhall-Opel too has tasted success in the competition for its Astravan and Vivaro, but this is the first victory for the newly united PSA Group.

Judges praised the distinctive individual designs of the three vans, the comfortable and enjoyable driving experience, as well as new innovations for the sector, including the overload indicator.

365499305_Photo3.thumb.jpg.8f96076c96a89

553905648_Photo7.jpg.21c52194e10074fdced

1833269549_Photo6.jpg.8a6aa471cf27eb35c7

353787674_Photo4.jpg.3e3960327b7a745b205

695912632_Photo5.jpg.6247ef8ee82ce539da2

• Like 2

I just came across that Ford Otosan electric semi and was going to post it here but I see a new thread about it. I've always been concerned that Ford was not keeping up with futuristic truck development but I guess I was wrong! But is this F Max replacing the Cargo? And I just came across a photo of some Turkish Transits alongside the Cargo. Do they have a medium duty class of trucks in Europe and Asia? I don't seem to see any. Does a medium duty class exist at all?

Edited by Joe771476

I just came across that Ford Otosan electric semi and was going to post it here but I see a new thread about it. I've always been concerned that Ford was not keeping up with futuristic truck development but I guess I was wrong! But is this F Max replacing the Cargo? And I just came across a photo of some Turkish Transits alongside the Cargo. Do they have a medium duty class of trucks in Europe and Asia? I don't seem to see any. Does a medium duty class exist at all?

Joe- I do believe there are plenty of mediums offered by others. As for Ford, they sure have that end covered in Brazil, but the Turks don't seem to have anything . Plenty of heavy low cab forwards though in addition to the high roof Cargo and its replacement this new F-Max.