Tracking MKZ Hybrid Mileage

One month anniversary with the car tonight and I took it out for some night driving ...

believe it or not .... I've done almost no driving past dark since I got it ...

so how does an 18.8 mile run (non-highway) with a MPG of 48.4 sound?

:-)

Sounds awesome. I managed an 18 mile run a week ago at 71 mpg all non-highway.

One month anniversary with the car tonight and I took it out for some night driving ...

believe it or not .... I've done almost no driving past dark since I got it ...

so how does an 18.8 mile run (non-highway) with a MPG of 48.4 sound?

:-)

Speaking of night driving, can you see your headlights move as you go around corners? Some are having a hard time seeing it.

Keeps getting a bit better .....

426.4 miles / 10.468 gallons, 40.7 MPG

True Lifetime 39.26 MPG

:victory:

John, you're doing a great job keeping everyone informed of mileage capability of the new MKZ Hybrid. I didn't order / receive the hybrid version but I can assure all I could obtain similar mileage as I'm a conservative driver and understand what it takes to get good MPG. For whatever reason people think it should come effortlessly---Wrong!

Curious, I was taking a look at your fuelly history. Why are you filling up every 2-4gallons?

Long trip and those were my necessary stops for food / caffeine and basic stretching of legs. Since I was already generally stopping at a convenience store, I just filled up at the same time. It gave me more time outside the car and not driving.

One thing to remember is just like the Fusion Hybrid, and C-MAX Hybrid, there is a 6k mile break-in period that can hold up to 5mpg. Temperatures below 40 can hold 5mpg. And traveling at freeway speeds above 65 can cost up to 7mpg.

Tips for driving a hybrid for the best hybrid mpg:

- Pulse and Glide. Get up to driving speed quickly(saving battery power for the cruising) and glide with traffic which will put you in EV mode based on level of charge.

- Use Break Coach with a goal of 100% Regen to keep the battery charged, for more EV miles and better mpg.

- Set EcoCruise at 60mpg on freeway when possible. Hybrid drivetrain works up to 62mph.

- Set Climate Control at 72 or above in Spring/Summer so more battery power is available for better mpg

What you will find is driving a hybrid like a hybrid for the best mpg, is actually Fun!

One thing to remember is just like the Fusion Hybrid, and C-MAX Hybrid, there is a 6k mile break-in period that can hold up to 5mpg. Temperatures below 40 can hold 5mpg. And traveling at freeway speeds above 65 can cost up to 7mpg.

Tips for driving a hybrid for the best hybrid mpg:

- Pulse and Glide. Get up to driving speed quickly(saving battery power for the cruising) and glide with traffic which will put you in EV mode based on level of charge.

- Use Break Coach with a goal of 100% Regen to keep the battery charged, for more EV miles and better mpg.

- Set EcoCruise at 60mpg on freeway when possible. Hybrid drivetrain works up to 62mph.

- Set Climate Control at 72 or above in Spring/Summer so more battery power is available for better mpg

What you will find is driving a hybrid like a hybrid for the best mpg, is actually Fun!

Well it is starting to get hot here in Arizona, and I am starting to see a decrease in MPG for my Zbrid. Having that AC on definitely sucks some juice from the battery. At about 40.1 MPG this tank, with lifetime of 42.1. I don't know if you guys back east have freeway speed limits of 75, we do here in AZ. I just don't feel right going 60 in a 75 zone, feels like I am causing a hazard. I do agree with you though there is a huge difference between driving above 62 and below 62 mph.

Well it is starting to get hot here in Arizona, and I am starting to see a decrease in MPG for my Zbrid. Having that AC on definitely sucks some juice from the battery. At about 40.1 MPG this tank, with lifetime of 42.1. I don't know if you guys back east have freeway speed limits of 75, we do here in AZ. I just don't feel right going 60 in a 75 zone, feels like I am causing a hazard. I do agree with you though there is a huge difference between driving above 62 and below 62 mph.

We do, though not everywhere. I've also noticed a big drop in MPG that is likely due to the heat. Most of the areas I drive have a speed limit of 65, so I don't feel bad about setting the cruise control for 62. However, if it jumps to 70, which is fairly common, then I do go above the 62 mph break point. We'll see how the heat plays out with the overall mileage I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder how many of the posted mileage figures are 'hand calculated' and how many are from the dash readout. I have about 3K on mine now, with a 40.3 lifetime readout. I can't believe that is accurate, however, since I always have a dashboard readout figure of 1.5 to 3 mpg higher than when I figure it by hand. Still, like many others, I am very happy with the car and the mileage, even if it isn't the EPA 45 figure.

Also, I have never been able to see the headlights move when rounding a curve.

Regarding the head lights: make sure your knob is set all the way to the right. You have to be able to see the edge of the beams, top, bottom, left, right. They definitely move. They also move on mine at start-up almost as if they're calibrating. I can confirm this as I'm presently utilizing a lottery parking garage at my place of employment and my lights turn on at start-up. They move slightly to the right then re-center and I can see the light beam up against the wall of our underground parking garage.

I have a 3.7 AWD but I can't believe there are not the movable adaptive lights on the Hybrids given all I've read about these cars!

Well a couple of things ....

1) I always record both what the readout says as well as doing hand calculations .... through 5 fill-ups so far the 2 have never been of by more than 1.5 MPG; I am averaging (via hand calc) almost 39.5 MPG through approximately 2600 miles; my lifetime reading tells me 39.0 MPG

2) my adaptive lights definitely move as well .....

John

I have to wonder how many of the posted mileage figures are 'hand calculated' and how many are from the dash readout. I have about 3K on mine now, with a 40.3 lifetime readout. I can't believe that is accurate, however, since I always have a dashboard readout figure of 1.5 to 3 mpg higher than when I figure it by hand. Still, like many others, I am very happy with the car and the mileage, even if it isn't the EPA 45 figure.

Also, I have never been able to see the headlights move when rounding a curve.

Manual calculations are not 100% accurate either. You have the calibration of the gas pump and the variability of getting exactly the same amount of fuel into the tank each time.

You are right about the variability, I always quit pumping after the first automatic shut off, and even try to use the same pump every time. But there is also a big difference in different cars. Over the past few years I've had a half dozen cars with the dash readout. A C6 Corvette was always within a tenth or two of being correct when I would hand calculate. My current '11 Mustang is almost that accurate. But an Escape Limited and the new MKZ are the least accurate of all of them. An '07 MKZ was a little better, but still read at least 1mpg HIGH on the dash every fillup. It seem obvious to me that carmakers purposely err on the side of higher readouts to make people feel better about their mileage.