Tracking MKZ Hybrid Mileage

data point...

Last week, a BIG, heavy friend and I drove my hybrid from Houston to Wilmington, OH, spent thu-sun at the Land Speed Race, drove back to Houston.

About 3000 mi total, drove at 75-80+ all the way, made no attempt whatever to get good mileage.

Got 34.7mph for the trip

My big fat pal said he was very comfortable.

We both agreed that the adaptive cruise control is the best we've ever encountered on ANY vehicle, totally seamless.

We both agreed that driving the car was significantly less tiring than any vehicle we'd owned; no idea why.

I am 110% happy with this car.

karl

Yes, the adaptive cruise control is the winner on this car for my opinion ... unquestioned!

that and the ECO cruise feature!

Yes, the adaptive cruise control is the winner on this car for my opinion ... unquestioned!

that and the ECO cruise feature!

JS,

i didn't use the ECO cruise at all, i like the fast pickup of the normal cruise when i get clear of the knot-headed texting nitwits.

Anyone know what other cars have the equivalent of Adaptive Cruise??

Also, does the hybrid have cabin noise cancellation? practically no wind or tire noise.

I find that on most highways the cabin is exceedingly quiet. Quieter than my Denali which was very quiet.

Honestly, I LOVE this car

karl

data point...

Last week, a BIG, heavy friend and I drove my hybrid from Houston to Wilmington, OH, spent thu-sun at the Land Speed Race, drove back to Houston.

About 3000 mi total, drove at 75-80+ all the way, made no attempt whatever to get good mileage.

Got 34.7mph for the trip

My big fat pal said he was very comfortable.

We both agreed that the adaptive cruise control is the best we've ever encountered on ANY vehicle, totally seamless.

We both agreed that driving the car was significantly less tiring than any vehicle we'd owned; no idea why.

I am 110% happy with this car.

karl

That's good news for me, a heavy car like that and gets about 35 is perfect for us. I was afraid it would dip in the mid 20s. The comfort of the ride is what's majorly important for me as well as reliability. I'm not expecting the car to get 40mpg+ but would be nice. I'm not a hardcore hypermiler like some others but I do use some of the tips and tricks that I've learned throughout the years from owning a Prius.

Edited by Serraph

JS,

i didn't use the ECO cruise at all, i like the fast pickup of the normal cruise when i get clear of the knot-headed texting nitwits.

Anyone know what other cars have the equivalent of Adaptive Cruise??

Also, does the hybrid have cabin noise cancellation? practically no wind or tire noise.

I find that on most highways the cabin is exceedingly quiet. Quieter than my Denali which was very quiet.

Honestly, I LOVE this car

karl

Both hybrid and non hybrid have the cancellation. The non hybrid have enhancements that makes the engine sound better. That's the only difference. I agree about the cabin being quiet. It's less noisy that the ES that we test drove and I felt the motor were less responsive and quick to jump to ICE. That's why I love the empower screen and it should be a must for good mpg.

I think the mpg reports so far I disappointing. If Ford/Lincoln advertises 45 mpg local/highway then it should come close or even beat those estimates. I have a Lexus CT200h hybrid and it is advertised as 42 mpg combined. I have always average between 42 mpg (winter months) to 51 mpg on every tank in normal driving, with 70% of it being freeway. If Lexus can get the mpg correct. Ford/Lincoln should too. MPG should be something that is easily attainable with normal everyday driving conditions.

I really like the new Lincoln MKZ and will probably end up purchasing one, but I just wish the mpg people were getting was consistently at 45 mpg combined.

• Like 1

I think the mpg reports so far I disappointing. If Ford/Lincoln advertises 45 mpg local/highway then it should come close or even beat those estimates. I have a Lexus CT200h hybrid and it is advertised as 42 mpg combined. I have always average between 42 mpg (winter months) to 51 mpg on every tank in normal driving, with 70% of it being freeway. If Lexus can get the mpg correct. Ford/Lincoln should too. MPG should be something that is easily attainable with normal everyday driving conditions.

I really like the new Lincoln MKZ and will probably end up purchasing one, but I just wish the mpg people were getting was consistently at 45 mpg combined.

Some people just don't understand EPA ratings.

Seriously - did you read my post? My Lexus CT200h hybrid is rated for 42mpg combined by the EPA and I always get from 42 to 50 mpg. So, lets see Lexus and EPA got that right? All other cars I have ever owned always came in at or above EPA, ie BMW 535xi, Saab 9-5, current 2013 Mercedes GL350. My Dad's Prius always above EPA , I could go on and on.

So, interesting that EPA and Ford/Lincoln could not get it right?

I certainly understand EPA ratings and expect your Lincoln MKZ Hybrid to come as advertised 45mpg. Consumers should certainly expect it to be close, at or above the rating too.

Some people just don't understand EPA ratings.
  • Like 1

Apparently you don't understand how the EPA ratings work. If you take the mkz hybrid and run it on the EPA test like the EPA prescribes you will get 45 mpg. Period. End of story. The EPA ratings have nothing to do with normal driving. The MKZ and Fusion hybrids have a much higher EV speed and are therefore more sensitive to the battery charge and driving style than other hybrids. It's not the car or Ford - it's the test. Call the EPA and complain.

As I stated, I do know how they work (funny how I have to keep telling you that). So, this car has to be driven differently from other hybrids to attain the rating???? Explain that to the American public. Just amazing to me that all the other cars I mentioned have gotten tested by EPA and meet or exceed mpg's. So, I guess consumers are driving exactly how the EPA did in those car tests to achieve the mpg, but don't in the MKZ. I won't post on this topic again, because obviously you don't care if it is realistic for the MKZ to achieve 45 mpg and you do not believe that it is false advertising either. Which, I think is absolutely crazy. As a consumer I expect to get EPA ratings, just like every other car. I know most other consumers do too (as does Consumer Reports), except you of course.... Pretty funny!

Apparently you don't understand how the EPA ratings work. If you take the mkz hybrid and run it on the EPA test like the EPA prescribes you will get 45 mpg. Period. End of story. The EPA ratings have nothing to do with normal driving. The MKZ and Fusion hybrids have a much higher EV speed and are therefore more sensitive to the battery charge and driving style than other hybrids. It's not the car or Ford - it's the test. Call the EPA and complain.
  • Like 1

I think everyone is right here, actually.

Expecting the EPA MPG is totally reasonable. In all the cars I've previously owned (my Fords, my current Saab Turbo-X) I've routinely matched or (in the cases of my two BMW's) exceeded the EPA estimates in regular driving, and I believe that most people expect their vehicles to do so, at least the people I know.

That said, expecting hybrids to not match the EPA is also totally reasonable. I also know from the experience of friends and family who have owned hybrids (Prii, Escape Hybrids, etc) that hybrid MPG varies enormously based upon loads, driving style, condition, etc. Several publications have tested all variety of hybrids and haven't hit the EPA estimates.

Now, those two things said, I think many MKZ Hybrid owners, having seen the Fusion experience, know what they're getting into already. Personally, if I were to get the 36-39 MPH on the MKZ hybrid I'm buying in the 2014 model year that many here are getting, I'd be doing cartwheels considering my Turbo-X gets an average of 18-20.

However, I can totally understand how some of the early Fusion hybrid owners, expecting 47, were ready to burn down the Dearborn HQ getting 36 or 38... By everyone's account, Ford seems to have a larger discrepancy than average here...

Edited by Iiari

As I stated, I do know how they work (funny how I have to keep telling you that). So, this car has to be driven differently from other hybrids to attain the rating???? Explain that to the American public. Just amazing to me that all the other cars I mentioned have gotten tested by EPA and meet or exceed mpg's. So, I guess consumers are driving exactly how the EPA did in those car tests to achieve the mpg, but don't in the MKZ. I won't post on this topic again, because obviously you don't care if it is realistic for the MKZ to achieve 45 mpg and you do not believe that it is false advertising either. Which, I think is absolutely crazy. As a consumer I expect to get EPA ratings, just like every other car. I know most other consumers do too (as does Consumer Reports), except you of course.... Pretty funny!

Check fuelly.com. Although a lot of the cars are new and under the 2-3k break in period. You can see a lot of them are in the 39mpg+ and that was with winter blend when we first took delivery. A few have gone over 40+ and should pick up more on the summer blend fuel if that's any indication.

I have had my car for nearly a month now with less than 1,000 miles driven...I am at 39 mpg lifetime right now and am totally happy with that considering that my previous car was getting less than 16 mpg. I drive mostly during rush hour on city streets with way too many stop lights, and since I live on the edge of the Texas Hill Country there are plenty of small hills to make me accelerate just enough to activate the ICE even at lower speeds. I'm looking forward to my first long road trip this weekend to see what the car can do.

You read but you obviously don't comprehend. I explained why new Ford hybrids are different. Other vehicles including hybrids with lower battery only max speeds are less sensitive than Ford's newer higher tech hybrids that can go 62 mph on battery alone. You could drive those vehicles outside the EPA test regimen and still get EPA results. So on the other vehicles you weren't driving like the EPA cycle at all, yet some were still able to achieve or surpass the EPA rating.

That's simply harder to do in the new Ford hybrids and as soon as Toyota catches up to Ford's technology where they can go 62 mph on electric they'll have EXACTLY the same problem!

As to false advertising - once again you don't seem to comprehend the law here. Ford is required by law to test their vehicles on the EPA test cycle according to strict standards. They are then required (again by law) to post that result on the window sticker. When it comes to advertising that is the only number they can report. So how can it be false advertising to report the number that they achieved following a government mandated test and are further required by law to put on the window sticker? What else could Ford possibly do?

You read but you obviously don't comprehend. I explained why new Ford hybrids are different. Other vehicles including hybrids with lower battery only max speeds are less sensitive than Ford's newer higher tech hybrids that can go 62 mph on battery alone. You could drive those vehicles outside the EPA test regimen and still get EPA results. So on the other vehicles you weren't driving like the EPA cycle at all, yet some were still able to achieve or surpass the EPA rating.

That's simply harder to do in the new Ford hybrids and as soon as Toyota catches up to Ford's technology where they can go 62 mph on electric they'll have EXACTLY the same problem!

As to false advertising - once again you don't seem to comprehend the law here. Ford is required by law to test their vehicles on the EPA test cycle according to strict standards. They are then required (again by law) to post that result on the window sticker. When it comes to advertising that is the only number they can report. So how can it be false advertising to report the number that they achieved following a government mandated test and are further required by law to put on the window sticker? What else could Ford possibly do?

Amen!

Hybrids are more prone to deviate from EPA results ..... too much variability in the way different people drive their cars .... you have to learn the right way to drive this car to maximize real-world MPG (not EPA) ...

I guarantee you if we took our cars on the EPA "test track" we'd all be reporting 45+ as well!

On every car I have ever owned .... I have gotten within a quarter mile (in either direction) what the sticker said ...

On every car my wife has ever owned - she has averaged almost 2 miles less than what is on the sticker ....

That tells you all you need to know about the cars we have owned and their MPG to EPA compliance ...

You guys are funny! Certainly not moaning, but asking a valid question. This certainly is a strange forum, unlike the BMW, Lexus and Mercedes forums. On those forums you can ask a question and most times get good responses. Not critiques. You guys just made me not want to buy a Lincoln MKZ. If this is what Lincoln owners are like, I certainly do not want to be part of them. Good job!

He moans about the MPG, but states he going to get one. I guess some people just need something to complain about.

You guys are funny! Certainly not moaning, but asking a valid question. This certainly is a strange forum, unlike the BMW, Lexus and Mercedes forums. On those forums you can ask a question and most times get good responses. Not critiques. You guys just made me not want to buy a Lincoln MKZ. If this is what Lincoln owners are like, I certainly do not want to be part of them. Good job!

if you are so fickle that you would "let" the opinions of a few people up on a forum influence your decision to buy a particular car -

geez .....

and by the way - the 62MPH factor on the Z's hybrid engine is a HUGE deal. Toyota's hybrid platform does not approach this number ....

during my normal daily commute to and from work (35-55 MPH, 12 miles each way) ..... I'm consistently averaging 42-48 MPGs .....

it is when I jump on the highway when I elect to drive above 70MPH that the overall numbers level off a bit ......

Best of luck to you .... I hope you find something that makes you happy!

It is a valid question. If you're getting a hybrid, then they excel in city driving. If you do a lot of highway, then it's better to get gas one. Also there are some issues with the first MY Fusions about under reporting MPG. Just take a look at Fuelly and you can see where the ranges are. That should give you some idea. For me, anything over 35mpg is good. We're replacing a suv that is getting like 15mpg and have a Prius as well that's getting 45mpg. Currently now I only have about 600miles on the odometer and my lifetime average is about 38.8. Once the break in period is over, I will reset it once it hits around 2k miles and perhaps change the oil. On regarding forums, there are some that are argumentative and some are extremely nice. Every one has an opinion. Most of us here are to gather information and processing that information is up to you. It's a small community for 2013 MKZ and some of the other forums aren't getting as much traffic as this one. So, don't hate us all. :)

• Like 1

We gave you valid answers and reasons - you just don't want to accept them. And if that's your attitude then the feeling is mutual.

We gave you valid answers and reasons - you just don't want to accept them. And if that's your attitude then the feeling is mutual.

Exactly my point. I don't always agree with akirby, but he and others gave good statements to the original post that bemoaned the fact that this hybrid doesn't get what is stated as the EPA estimates. He even went so far as to explain "why" in that the hybrid batteries are different than all the others and thus are more touchy than all the others to *how* a person drives. Again, you choose to do what you want with the information, but in the end, your posts here have come across as moaning.

If Ford followed the EPA guidelines for doing the tests and I rather doubt they didn't considering the ramifications of being caught *not* following them, then the numbers are accurate under those perfect conditions. As others have said, my previous gas mileage was around 20, so what I'm getting now is a huge step up and I'm completely happy with the numbers I'm seeing.

I might feel differently if this was a voluntary test that Ford chose to use and advertise. But it's not voluntary - it's MANDATED by FEDERAL LAW including posting the test results on the window sticker. And that is the ONLY mpg number that any mfr can advertise. To suggest they should do something else is silly.

The EPA testing information below from fueleconomy.gov is interesting. I assumed the highway test portion would be travelling at 60-65 mph for 10-15 minutes straight. In reality the test averages 48 mph with a high speed of 60 mph. I hardly consider that "highway" driving. This explains why the highway rating is high for the MKZ. In my more realistic highway driving at about 72 mph (65 speed limit), with only slight speed changes due to traffic, I averaged about 36 mpg over a 10 minute span. I reset the mileage just prior to starting my test. When I slowed down to 64 mph or so, my fuel economy went up to about 42 mpg.

Detailed Test Information

EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests. For 2007 and earlier model year vehicles, only the city and highway schedules were used. Beginning with 2008 models, three additional tests will be used to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures.

Note: EPA has established testing criteria for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids that are slightly different than those for conventional vehicles.

Sorry the chart did not post as expected. Go instead to the link in my next post.

Edited by hankjost

One month anniversary with the car tonight and I took it out for some night driving ...

believe it or not .... I've done almost no driving past dark since I got it ...

so how does an 18.8 mile run (non-highway) with a MPG of 48.4 sound?

:-)