Tracking MKZ Hybrid Mileage

sport vs comfort mode

i did a buncha back & forth testing and settled on comfort around town, sport on the highway.

In town i never notice the "floaty" feeling, but it bothers me on the highway, especially on long sweeping on-off ramps, on sweeping curves.

comfort is better on speed bumps.

Just this idiot's opinion

karl

Quoting the Product guide:

Normal: The default drive setting. Normal represents the signature Lincoln DNA. It is carefully tuned to offer the least amount of compormise between performance and comfort.

Comfort: In this setting, the suspension is tuned for less travel over road irregularities, and the steering is more relaxed, resulting in a smooth drive.

Sport: In the Sport setting, the driver has a more connected feel with the road, thanks to the responsive powertrain, tighter-tuned suspension and firmer steering.

There you go, wish there was some where on the net I could have cut and paste.

OK, thanks you guys for the feedback. So here is where I am confused thanks to the responsive powertrain

What does this mean, does the sport effectively downshift the eCVT to make the car more responsive? Thats the real question here?

OK, thanks you guys for the feedback. So here is where I am confused thanks to the responsive powertrain

What does this mean, does the sport effectively downshift the eCVT to make the car more responsive? Thats the real question here?

It means if you step on the gas it goes, and you let up it slows down. ;)

lol anyways, maybe it stays in a higher rpm. I don't know just a guess.

Wow that's awesome, do you have the pano roof?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I'm very impressed by the mileage everyone is reporting. Interesting, this appears better than some Fusion hybrid drivers have reported on other forums. I wonder if the owners here are driving these vehicles in a more "hybrid friendly" way than Fusion owners might have been doing...

I was wondering the same thing myself.

I'm very impressed by the mileage everyone is reporting. Interesting, this appears better than some Fusion hybrid drivers have reported on other forums. I wonder if the owners here are driving these vehicles in a more "hybrid friendly" way than Fusion owners might have been doing...

I'm only at 37mpg at 160mi on the odometer. Still a long ways to go before I reset the lifetime mpg around 2k mi. Hoping the trip this summer will net better mpg. Keep using Fuelly guys. Great job.

The one thing I will say about this car ......

you have to learn how to drive this particular hybrid the "right way" ....

not sure who it was but using the "Empower" gauge is definitely the way to go ....

When driving city -

"Pulse and glide" once you are in the blue ..... use adaptive cruise control as much as possible (with ECO option turned on),

remember - there is nothing wrong with "gunning it" to get up to your desired speed as long as you come off the gas and settle into a "blue zone" on the gauge.

When driving highway -

no doubt about it ..... if you are willing to drive at times in one of the 2 right most lanes on the highway and keep your speed at the 62MPH threshold or less - you will definitely see better numbers ....

My guess is if you drive highway a lot at > than 72 MPH - you probably will not see more than about 35-36 MPG on this car;

If you are willing to make some adjustments to your driving style (I know I have in comparison to how i drove my Chrysler 300M) .....

you should be able to come darn close to that 41-42 zone; I doubt 45 is sustainable over any single tank of fuel ......

Great post John. A wonderful quick guide to hybrid driving.

That kind of is what Ford has been saying all along, though, that YMMV greatly with hybrids depending upon driving style. Hop in and drive without regard to your powertrain and you'll be in the 33-35 range. Drive it in the right place, in the right weather, with sensitivity to its hybrid powertrain, and you'll get in the low to mid-40's. I get, with mostly highway driving, about 18-19 MPG with my Turbo-X, so anything any of you are getting would be a massive savings for me.

I can't understand some of the folks in the Fusion boards, though, who claim to be doing everything possible and their MPG is in the low 30's.

not sure who it was but using the "Empower" gauge is definitely the way to go ....

When driving city -

"Pulse and glide" once you are in the blue ..... use adaptive cruise control as much as possible (with ECO option turned on),

remember - there is nothing wrong with "gunning it" to get up to your desired speed as long as you come off the gas and settle into a "blue zone" on the gauge.

When driving highway -

no doubt about it ..... if you are willing to drive at times in one of the 2 right most lanes on the highway and keep your speed at the 62MPH threshold or less - you will definitely see better numbers ....

My guess is if you drive highway a lot at > than 72 MPH - you probably will not see more than about 35-36 MPG on this car;

If you are willing to make some adjustments to your driving style (I know I have in comparison to how i drove my Chrysler 300M) .....

you should be able to come darn close to that 41-42 zone; I doubt 45 is sustainable over any single tank of fuel ......

I agree 45 is pretty much impossible, but 42 is doable, as long you don't have over say 50 percent freeway driving at plus 65 MPH.

I've got a panaromic sunroof. What do others have? I'm sitting at 39 mpg lifetime with 41 on current tank of gas. I've managed as high as low 70s on a 12 mile run, all city. I know that the sunroof option can make a difference in gas mileage so was wondering what everyone had?

39mpg with the panoramic roof is pretty astounding in my opinion. I think I recall reading earlier somewhere that pano roofed hybrids would be around 42 average, and you're pretty much right there.

Looking at Fuelly, there's a non-hybrid listed there that (while it's early) is at 32 mpg average, which is pretty amazing as well.

I am curious as to why the panoramic sunroof would effect mpg? If it does effect mpg, does it only effect it when it is open and not closed? I was considering a MKZ with a panoramic roof, but do not want it, if it effects mpg. Thanks!

39mpg with the panoramic roof is pretty astounding in my opinion. I think I recall reading earlier somewhere that pano roofed hybrids would be around 42 average, and you're pretty much right there.

Looking at Fuelly, there's a non-hybrid listed there that (while it's early) is at 32 mpg average, which is pretty amazing as well.

I am curious as to why the panoramic sunroof would effect mpg? If it does effect mpg, does it only effect it when it is open and not closed? I was considering a MKZ with a panoramic roof, but do not want it, if it effects mpg. Thanks!

A solid panel of glass and the related hardware weigh a lot more than a thin piece of sheet metal. More weight = more gas to move it around.

What timf said. There was an article that I linked a while ago stating you will lose 2-3mpg. It's a weight issue.

data point...

Last week, a BIG, heavy friend and I drove my hybrid from Houston to Wilmington, OH, spent thu-sun at the Land Speed Race, drove back to Houston.

About 3000 mi total, drove at 75-80+ all the way, made no attempt whatever to get good mileage.

Got 34.7mph for the trip

My big fat pal said he was very comfortable.

We both agreed that the adaptive cruise control is the best we've ever encountered on ANY vehicle, totally seamless.

We both agreed that driving the car was significantly less tiring than any vehicle we'd owned; no idea why.

I am 110% happy with this car.

karl