Advice--Looking to buy 2013 Fusion

Like to buy a new Fusion but very unsure of which engine to go with. I'm sure the base 175 HP engine would last forever but not sure how long the 2.0 Ecoboost turbo would last. I don't want to be spending money to replace the turbo in 7-8 years. Does the turbo shorten engine life? Is torque steer a problem with the ecoboost? This will be my first new car since 1991 so I'm choosing carefully, as I'll probably keep this car for at least 10 years.

Like to buy a new Fusion but very unsure of which engine to go with. I'm sure the base 175 HP engine would last forever but not sure how long the 2.0 Ecoboost turbo would last. I don't want to be spending money to replace the turbo in 7-8 years. Does the turbo shorten engine life? Is torque steer a problem with the ecoboost? This will be my first new car since 1991 so I'm choosing carefully, as I'll probably keep this car for at least 10 years.

Hey, if you're worried about Ecoboost, the 2.5 I-4 is available on SE trim...maybe check out the configurtor over on Ford.com

have a play with a few builds of your own, maybe go check out a few cars and see what you really like for the price you want to pay....LINK to Ford Fusion

Edited by jpd80

Modern turbos are nothing like previous ones and shouldn't have any problem lasting 10 years or longer. Ford tests all their engines under duress for at least 150K miles.

There is a little bit of torque steer from the 2.0L EB but only when you get on the throttle really hard. Otherwise it's super smooth. I would probably opt for the 2.5L over the 1.6L EB since it's proving difficult to get the EPA ratings in the 1.6L EB - you have to drive it very very carefully. Drive all 3 and pick the one you like best - you don't need to worry about longevity.

Silly, realist me, but I would think it would good idea to be a bit more patient, wait for 2014 MY Fusion when 90% of factory glitches have been completely solved, and Ford with 2014 MY can address any niggly, unseen issues that have cropped up in first year, so that 2014 MY buyers will get better ride. Good things come to those who are patient and willing to wait. For example, 2013 Focus buyers get a better vehicle than 2012 MY, and also get Flex Fuel vehicle that can deal with E15 or any combination of alcohol blended fuel. So if there are E15 pumps out there, they can deal with it.

• Like 1

I would get a 2014 Hybrid if I were you, gas isn't getting any cheaper, the payback is 3.5-4.5 years (depending on loan terms) vs a regular Fusion, less if you opt for the 2.0L. The hybrids have shown to be good at reliability. If you keep the car 10 years you'll save between $700-$1100 on fuel a year. I would also wait for the 2014's though if you get a gas model that is built it could come from FRAP which MIGHT has the same first year issues as it is a new assembly plant with new workers for that model. All Hybrids are still being made in Mexico.

Lots of good tips in this thread! :)

I rented two 2013 Fusion SE models while in the Los Angeles region recently - a base configuration with the 2.5L Mazda MZR engine, and another with package 205A and 1.6L Ecoboost. The 2.5L was better than the smaller Ecoboost unit in practically every way: smoother, quieter, more linear power delivery, and better fuel economy in 5 days worth of driving for each (28 mpg combined urban and expressway driving for the 2.5L versus 26.5 for the 1.6T). So between the 2.5L and 1.6T engines, I definitely prefer the 2.5L. I don't have experience driving a 2.0T or Hybrid Fusion, but akirby's and jasonj80's impressions on those models are certainly worthy of consideration.

Since you plan to own and operate the vehicle long-term, I'll second FordBuyer's recommendation to wait until MY 2014 or 2015 if a Ford Fusion is what you prefer. I too hope Ford gets its quality woes under control by then.

Best wishes with your car shopping ford-boy!

Edited by aneekr

If you're buying a 10+ year car I'd definitely wait for 2014 as FB suggests, if you can. But if the line's running smoothly and the initial quality reports look good, I wouldn't shy away from the Turbo. Unless you hoon the pants off the thing or live in a really harsh climate, the wee little EB turbos shouldn't be any more problematic than the rest of the drivetrain.

On the other hand, if the Turbo really puts you off have you considered upgrading to the MKZ for the V6?

I also concur with akirby on the 2.0, a little torque steer, but smooth and I'll add: a lighter foot gets you posted mpg's, there's plenty of power when you need it and in the Fusion it would be one quick car, if that's what you want, but that's what everyone wants, isn't it? I've only driven a 1.6L once when I was waiting for my Escape to arrive and it seemed OK but not all that impressive, I'm really glad I chose the 2.0L. I'm not concerned about longevity of these modern turbos. I had a 2.5 in my 2010 Fusion and it always met or exceeded the posted mpg's, it had plenty of power across the entire band and all in all, was a rock solid engine. The issues I had with my Fusion were the occasional transmission flairs and the coolant gurgling noise on tip in. My suggestion to avoid any of the possible start-up issues that might occur at Flat Rock, order a month or two before the Hermosillo order bank closes, all the production bugs should be worked out by then.

Edited by transitman