19" H-Spoke wheels on Hybrid Titanium?

Former Expedition owner

My advice: Keep your 18s and use those in the winter. Use the set of 19s for the summer.

Fortunately, I live in Southern California and we don't really know what "winter" tires are!! :) I have seen some Fusions with 20"s, but I don't want to deal with clearance issues or the harsh ride, I was hoping 19"s would be a good compromise.

Only if the TIRES were exactly the same. I can tell you the 19" factory tires are not low rolling resistance and that can also make a significant difference.

Akirby, do you have a guestimate for what "significant" would be? I am not going to be the hybrid driver that drafts behind semi trucks or posts my daily averages online, I just want to save some money on a monthly basis. I honestly anticipated my average to be 40-42 MPG before I even started reading on the forums what people were actually getting. I am coming from an Infiniti M35S that got 19 MPG on premium, I don't want anything less than twice that... therefore I will come home happy every day if I am 38+.

I know other people will have a different opinion, but 2-3 MPG is not significant for me, but 5+ would be.

Also, any thoughts on where would be a good place to sell my brand new 18" factory hybrid titanium wheels (I'd love to sell them before the car even arrives)?

Fortunately, I live in Southern California and we don't really know what "winter" tires are!! :) I have seen some Fusions with 20"s, but I don't want to deal with clearance issues or the harsh ride, I was hoping 19"s would be a good compromise.

Akirby, do you have a guestimate for what "significant" would be? I am not going to be the hybrid driver that drafts behind semi trucks or posts my daily averages online, I just want to save some money on a monthly basis. I honestly anticipated my average to be 40-42 MPG before I even started reading on the forums what people were actually getting. I am coming from an Infiniti M35S that got 19 MPG on premium, I don't want anything less than twice that... therefore I will come home happy every day if I am 38+.

I know other people will have a different opinion, but 2-3 MPG is not significant for me, but 5+ would be.

Also, any thoughts on where would be a good place to sell my brand new 18" factory hybrid titanium wheels (I'd love to sell them before the car even arrives)?

Not really sure. I lost 2 mpg just changing from Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 to BFG super sports on my 06 Fusion 3.0L. My guess would be 3-4 mpg on a hybrid but that's just a guess.

This should be true, but I measured the height of the factory 16" wheel/tire combo and it is shorter than the factory18" wheel/tire combo for two cars that were parked together on dealer lot.

If you do the math to compare the tires used (215/60R16 vs 235/45R18), you'll find that the outside diameter of the 16" OE tires is 0.17" smaller than the 18" OE tire (26.16" vs 26.33"). While this is slightly different, it's pretty much negligible - if you were going 65mph with the 16", you'd be doing 65.42mph on the 18".

Of course these are ideal unloaded calculations - this will differ depending on inflation, load on the tire, etc. I'm not surprised that you found a difference between two cars sitting on the lot next to each other.

If you do the math to compare the tires used (215/60R16 vs 235/45R18), you'll find that the outside diameter of the 16" OE tires is 0.17" smaller than the 18" OE tire (26.16" vs 26.33"). While this is slightly different, it's pretty much negligible - if you were going 65mph with the 16", you'd be doing 65.42mph on the 18".

Of course these are ideal unloaded calculations - this will differ depending on inflation, load on the tire, etc. I'm not surprised that you found a difference between two cars sitting on the lot next to each other.

I found a difference of about 1" in the height of the tires not the just car its self

• 2 weeks later...

I live in So Cal as well, but I head up for skiing every couple of weeks or so in the winter. Snow rated tires are extremely convenient for me-- there is no need to stop to slap on chains. I'll just buy the michellin LRR 19's. And that's a nice rim, Former Expedition owner!

Edited by DelS

@FordService got back to me this afternoon:

The Fusion Hybrid Titanium comes with 235/45R18 Goodyear Eagle LS2s. Hope that's all the info you need :) ^MK

When i look at Tirerack, the Goodyear Eagle LS2 is not listed as Low Rolling Resistance (LRR).

In fact, I couldn't find ANY Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires in the 235/45R18 size.

So, Ford is shipping the Fusion Hybrid Titaniums with only one possible rim (18") and non-LRR tires? How did they get 47/47/47 MPG with non-LRR tires?

Since I started this thread, maybe some forum members figured out I was going to pull the trigger and install the 19" H-Spokes on my HyTi. I've listened to the negative aspects of doing so and weighed the good and the bad. Ultimately, for me, the looks outweighed the possible lower MPGs.

If you look at my forum name, you'll see that my previous vehicle was a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. That vehicle got 13 MPG in the winter months, maybe 16 in the summer.

The 47/47/47 EPA estimated MPG on the Fusion Hybrid was real attractive to me. After all, it's about 3.5 times the MPG my Expedition was getting. If I was able to get the 47 MPG in the Fusion, my gas bill would be about 28% of what it was with the Expedition.

I've been told the 19" H-Spoke rims are heavier, they are less aerodynamic, they will not fit on the HyTi, the Continental Pro Contact tires are not LRR, and I will see considerably less MPGs as a result.

Even if I lose 5 MPG's because of the 19" H-Spokes, I'm still way ahead compared to the Expedition.

Here are some facts that I have determined first hand:

The Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires that come installed on the 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels are not LRR tires. So, no LRRs on the 18" Polished Aluminum rims nor the 19" H-Spokes.

The Continental ContiProContact 235/40 R19 96V that come installed on the 19" H-Spokes are Grand Touring, All-Season Tires. Tire Rack has them for $244 each or $976 for four. Add another $50.12 for shipping and it totals out at $1026.12.

The Goodyear Eagle LS2 235/45 R18 94V that come installed on the 18" Polished Aluminums are Grand Touring, All-Season Tires. Tire Rack has them on "special" for $102 each (originally $199 each) or $408 for four. Add another $48.34 for shipping and it totals out at $456.34.

Wow, big difference in price.

Take a look at what the Factory installed 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels look like on my HyTi below. I was pleasantly surprised that they are NOT un-attractive, but they don't have that modern, sporty look I think the HyTi deserves:

20013Fusionbefore.jpg

I started by removing one of the wheels, but first I had to find a jack! What, no jack? That's right, the HyTi has no jack in the trunk and there was nothing in the owners manual concerning a jack or removal of any of the wheels (at least that I could find). So, I used the jack in my wife's 2011 Honda Crosstour.

After removing one of the 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels (with OEM tire mounted), I weighed it. It was 51 lbs.

I then weighed one of the 19" H-Spoke wheels (with OEM tire mounted) and it weighed 51 lbs., too. Wow, I thought. Who told me the H-Spokes weighed more? Doesn't matter.

I set the wheels side by side to compare. Here's what they look like:

2013Fusionsidebysidewheels.jpg

Just comparing by eye, they look similar in size.

2013Fusionwheelsontopofeachother.jpg

Next step, I set them on top of each other and took a photo looking directly down. Again, they seem to be about the same size. You can see the H-Spokes under the Polished Aluminum rim:

2013Fusionlookdownatbothwheels.jpg

I went and got a fabric measuring tape and measured the circumference of each tire.

First, the 18" factory rims with the Goodyear Eagle LS2 235/45 R18 measured 84" in circumference.

2013FusionCircumorigwheel.jpg

Next, the 19" H-Spoke rims with the Continental ContiProContact 235/40 R19 measured 84 1/2" in circumference.

2013FusionCircumHspoke.jpg

I used the calculator at Tacoma World to determine what the differences would mean between the two tires. Here are the results:

235x45xR18-235x40xR19.png

Looks to me like there is very little difference. An additional 0.18 MPH at 65 MPH.

I put one of the 19" H-Spokes on and took this photo for a little comparison:

2013Fusiononeofeach.jpg

Here's what my HyTi looked like after installing all 4 of the 19" H-Spokes:

2013FusionafterHspoke.jpg

I put the before and after photos right on top of each other so you can compare:

2013Fusionbeforeandafterwheelswithtext.j

I've driven about 30 miles on the 19" H-Spokes. No bells or whistles went off on the dash. The ride seems a little more firm, and...

I love the way they look!

Looking forward to reading your comments.

What? You probably want to know how much I paid, right?

I paid $1400 for the H-Spokes and tires, including shipping to my house. I bought these.

Considering it would cost me $1026.12 just for the tires via Tire Rack, I think $1400 for the rims and tires was a pretty good deal. Plus, I now have an additional set of rims and tires. Maybe I'll put snow tires on the 18" Polished Aluminum rims?

Edited by Former Expedition owner
  • Like 2

The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has the following rims available as an option:

19" Polished Aluminum Wheels with Painted Pockets

1e72c1e09cc9db83fb7a0f17346d1350.jpg

These rims are only available with the "Hybrid Preferred" package and include size P245/40R19 tires. This package adds $6530 to the price of the MKZ.

Of interest is that the Lincoln Hybrid's 19" rims come with Michelin Primacy MXM4 low rolling resistance tires.

The 235/40 R19 size tires included on the Fusion Titanium's 19" H-Spoke rims are not low rolling resistance tires. According to Tire Rack, there is only one model of LRR tires made at the 235/40 R19 size and they are the "performance winter/snow" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec model. There are currently no "all-season" LRR tires for the 19" H-Spoke rims.

Keep in mind that the Lincoln Wheels I believe are wider than the 19inch Titanium wheels. Therefore the Lincoln wheels have a different tire profile, one that seems to have a much larger selection than the 235/40/19 Titanium profile, for now. Hopefully that changes soon.

Since I started this thread, maybe some forum members figured out I was going to pull the trigger and install the 19" H-Spokes on my HyTi. I've listened to the negative aspects of doing so and weighed the good and the bad. Ultimately, for me, the looks outweighed the possible lower MPGs.

If you look at my forum name, you'll see that my previous vehicle was a 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. That vehicle got 13 MPG in the winter months, maybe 16 in the summer.

The 47/47/47 EPA estimated MPG on the Fusion Hybrid was real attractive to me. After all, it's about 3.5 times the MPG my Expedition was getting. If I was able to get the 47 MPG in the Fusion, my gas bill would be about 28% of what it was with the Expedition.

I've been told the 19" H-Spoke rims are heavier, they are less aerodynamic, they will not fit on the HyTi, the Continental Pro Contact tires are not LRR, and I will see considerably less MPGs as a result.

Even if I lose 5 MPG's because of the 19" H-Spokes, I'm still way ahead compared to the Expedition.

Here are some facts that I have determined first hand:

The Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires that come installed on the 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels are not LRR tires. So, no LRRs on the 18" Polished Aluminum rims nor the 19" H-Spokes.

The Continental ContiProContact 235/40 R19 96V that come installed on the 19" H-Spokes are Grand Touring, All-Season Tires. Tire Rack has them for $244 each or $976 for four. Add another $50.12 for shipping and it totals out at $1026.12.

The Goodyear Eagle LS2 235/45 R18 94V that come installed on the 18" Polished Aluminums are Grand Touring, All-Season Tires. Tire Rack has them on "special" for $102 each (originally $199 each) or $408 for four. Add another $48.34 for shipping and it totals out at $456.34.

Wow, big difference in price.

Take a look at what the Factory installed 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels look like on my HyTi below. I was pleasantly surprised that they are NOT un-attractive, but they don't have that modern, sporty look I think the HyTi deserves:

I started by removing one of the wheels, but first I had to find a jack! What, no jack? That's right, the HyTi has no jack in the trunk and there was nothing in the owners manual concerning a jack or removal of any of the wheels (at least that I could find). So, I used the jack in my wife's 2011 Honda Crosstour.

After removing one of the 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels (with OEM tire mounted), I weighed it. It was 51 lbs.

I then weighed one of the 19" H-Spoke wheels (with OEM tire mounted) and it weighed 51 lbs., too. Wow, I thought. Who told me the H-Spokes weighed more? Doesn't matter.

I set the wheels side by side to compare. Here's what they look like:

Just comparing by eye, they look similar in size.

Next step, I set them on top of each other and took a photo looking directly down. Again, they seem to be about the same size. You can see the H-Spokes under the Polished Aluminum rim:

I went and got a fabric measuring tape and measured the circumference of each tire.

First, the 18" factory rims with the Goodyear Eagle LS2 235/45 R18 measured 84" in circumference.

Next, the 19" H-Spoke rims with the Continental ContiProContact 235/40 R19 measured 84 1/2" in circumference.

I used the calculator at Tacoma World to determine what the differences would mean between the two tires. Here are the results:

Looks to me like there is very little difference. An additional 0.18 MPH at 65 MPH.

I put one of the 19" H-Spokes on and took this photo for a little comparison:

Here's what my HyTi looked like after installing all 4 of the 19" H-Spokes:

I put the before and after photos right on top of each other so you can compare:

2013Fusionbeforeandafterwheelswithtext.j

I've driven about 30 miles on the 19" H-Spokes. No bells or whistles went off on the dash. The ride seems a little more firm, and...

I love they way they look!

Looking forward to reading your comments.

What? You probably want to know how much I paid, right?

I paid $1400 for the H-Spokes and tires, including shipping to my house. I bought these.

Considering it would cost me $1026.12 just for the tires via Tire Rack, I think $1400 for the rims and tires was a pretty good deal. Plus, I now have an additional set of rims and tires. Maybe I'll put snow tires on the 18" Polished Aluminum rims?

Glad to hear you did it! I'm sure lots of people will thank you for providing the info regarding wheel weights. I'm sure lots of people will be curious what your fuel efficiency does with the 19s added. They do make the Hybrid look sooo much better!

Glad to hear you did it! I'm sure lots of people will thank you for providing the info regarding wheel weights. I'm sure lots of people will be curious what your fuel efficiency does with the 19s added. They do make the Hybrid look sooo much better!

Thank you for the detailed comparison information. I like the looks of the H-spoke wheels better too and would expect slightly better corning capability due to less flex in the shorter sidewalls of the 19" tires. My concern in my region is the pot holes wouldn't be as easily absorbed with the shorter sidewalls.

For you guys wanting a LRR tire and can't find them, these tires are coming out in more sizes (including 19s already and 20s later) and they are LIGHT!

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/car/sheet/cinturato_p7_all_season_plus.html

I plan on them for whatever wheels I end up getting. Not easy to find but not expensive and a 70k warranty. One thing to remember is not only the weight of a wheel but where the weight is. A 20" rim that weighs the same as a 17" rim will have more weight further from the center of the wheel. This causes more rotational inertia thus making it a less efficient tire. How much of a difference actually matters as much on how you drive. I heavy wheel will actually roll longer than a light wheel. Braking and accelerating will be worse. So if you are primarily a highway cruiser you might not be affected that much. City driving you will be affected more.

-Keith

• Like 1

Congrats! I think they're the best looking wheels available for the Fusion. I plan on putting mine on soon, but I'm waiting until the potholes around here get filled.

I may have missed it, but did you have to do anything special to keep the tire pressure light from turning on? On my last car the senors on new wheels were automatically recognized.

I may have missed it, but did you have to do anything special to keep the tire pressure light from turning on? On my last car the senors on new wheels were automatically recognized.

The 19" H-Spokes came with the OEM tires (and TPMS) already installed. I simply took the 18" wheels/tires off and put the 19" wheels/tires on. There is no TPMS alert light lit on my dashboard, so my HyTi automatically recognized the new TPMS.

Do you have adaptive cruise or park assist?

No, neither. All of the options I purchased are included in my signature.

I also wonder about the speedometer being off once larger wheels are put on.

I addressed the possible speedometer issue in my post. I included a comparative speedometer calculation between the two tire sizes. The HyTi's speedometer will read 65MPH with the larger tires, while it is actually going 65.18 MPH.

I'll repost the chart below, for your reference:

• Like 1

No, neither. All of the options I purchased are included in my signature.

I addressed the possible speedometer issue in my post. I included a comparative speedometer calculation between the two tire sizes. The HyTi's speedometer will read 65MPH with the larger tires, while it is actually going 65.18 MPH.

I'll repost the chart below, for your reference:

Yeah sorry I just saw those numbers looking back. I would love to switch out the wheels like you did, but you got a great deal.

Maybe down the road these wheels will start hitting ebay at a lower price.

You should take off the black decals on the center of the wheel to show the Ford logo. Although your car is black so it does go well.

Amazing look! Does somebody knows how much the 19" spoke wheel cost if you get these directly from Ford?

Not the 19" but I looked into the 18" with 8 spokes and they were about $400 each without tires and about $20 labor each to put my 18" tires on those wheels. I would think the 19" would be in that same range, if not higher and you have to get new tires too.