contract negotiating ploy..

I feel the present regime at Ford is purposely running the company into the ground as a negotiating chip at the 07 contract negotiations. This can be the only logical explanation. After the union busting 07 contract Ford will all of sudden have plenty of new exciting products in the pipeline. Does anyone else feel this way??

I feel the present regime at Ford is purposely running the company into the ground as a negotiating chip at the 07 contract negotiations. This can be the only logical explanation. After the union busting 07 contract Ford will all of sudden have plenty of new exciting products in the pipeline. Does anyone else feel this way??

They're definitely keeping quiet about future products, and I agree, keeping the union membership in the dark and scared absolutely plays into their hands. My personal feeling is the reason Ford won't tell us @ MTP what in the hell they have planned for us is intentional....that way they can dangle it like a carrot in front of us at contract time to gain more concessions. Ford family my ass.

They're definitely keeping quiet about future products, and I agree, keeping the union membership in the dark and scared absolutely plays into their hands. My personal feeling is the reason Ford won't tell us @ MTP what in the hell they have planned for us is intentional....that way they can dangle it like a carrot in front of us at contract time to gain more concessions. Ford family my ass.

MTP and all plants should be more worried what happens in the next ~50 days, rather than what is happing in '07.

My biggest fear is that Ford is going to offer a bunch of buyots and early outs, and declare bankruptcy the next year or so. Then they can avoid paying the newly inherited legacy costs they procured. Don't put it past these people- especially Mark Fields- that this could happen.

I am suprised how dormant the UAW has been with all these plant closings and the whipsawwing that has been taking place. Perhaps a two-month corporate wide strike like GM had in 1998 would bring to attention the piss poor management this company has and that drastic changes- on the management end of things- have to take place.

Edited by Footballfan

My biggest fear is that Ford is going to offer a bunch of buyots and early outs, and declare bankruptcy the next year or so. Then they can avoid paying the newly inherited legacy costs they procured. Don't put it past these people- especially Mark Fields- that this could happen.

I am suprised how dormant the UAW has been with all these plant closings and the whipsawwing that has been taking place. Perhaps a two-month corporate wide strike like GM had in 1998 would bring to attention the piss poor management this company has and that drastic changes- on the management end of things- have to take place.

Why would Ford offer buyouts and then declare bankruptcy? Why not declare bankruptcy first? Also, it's my understanding that if you take a buyout before you're fully vested in your pension, then you're doing Ford a favor, by reducing their pension obligations.

As far as the two-month strike in '98 goes, how well did that work out? GM was a mess before and after. Nothing was accomplished.

Why would Ford offer buyouts and then declare bankruptcy? Why not declare bankruptcy first? Also, it's my understanding that if you take a buyout before you're fully vested in your pension, then you're doing Ford a favor, by reducing their pension obligations.

As far as the two-month strike in '98 goes, how well did that work out? GM was a mess before and after. Nothing was accomplished.

Depends on the buyout you take. They actually have 5 choices some of which are just early outs with full retirment numbers.

That would be one hell of a ploy... I think you're giving management too much credit to be honest. It would be way too much pain for too little gain.

Depends on the buyout you take. They actually have 5 choices some of which are just early outs with full retirment numbers.

That's what I heard> Our plant has not brought any of the buyout offers yet. At 56 yr of age with slightly less than 25 yrs in, I'm wondering what the options are? Anyone out here know of anybody in this scenario who used this option? :shrug: