Focus ST

It's so fun to drive I can't say enough about it. I'm pissed I have to go bye something for the reverse sensing. What a totally stupid thing Ford did with this item. So does anyone know if the reverse sensors fr the non ST version can be applied to the ST?

Is it available on any other car in it's league? VW. etc.? Focus probably has more available bells/whistles than any other small car. I don't think it's totally stupid for Ford to NOT put it...then again I don't think it's stupid to want it either!

The next thing will be side angle view cameras (fish eye). When I back up out of a space in my Miata......especially between SUVs I can't see sh@t.

Edited by timmm55

Ok guys your missing the point. I mean the car stickers for almost $30k and while I don't know the average age of the driver of a Focus ST I'm 45 and I want all the toys. Here's what it needs. Rear cameras, blind spot warning, stereo sucks, the knobs on the climate control are for I guess 6 year olds. Dying for paddle shifters. Other than that I'm happy. I got the blue.

How can you have paddle shifters in a manual transmission equipped car?

What would you do different on the climate control dials for them to be adult friendly?

What is it about the Sony stereo that dislike so much?

Rear sensors are available as a stand alone option on the Focus, so it must be possible to have them added.

Rear-view camera and blind spot warning, sorry you will need to import the Euro spec Focus ST to get those features.

Please add some photo's exterior and interior of your new ST.

Edited by MKII

Is it available on any other car in it's league?

The Focus Titanium hatchback has a backup camera as standard equipment. The ST shares a great many body components with the regular Focus, so it's not unreasonable to be surprised that this option isn't available.

Perhaps it's some detail in some of the body panels, or the wiring, or marketing decided it wouldn't be a popular option on the sportier trim, or simply that Ford was trying to keep the options simpler for the first model year.

The high-end trims for the Focus are pretty loaded. Nice interior materials. "One Ford" has, if nothing else, brought the US market some examples of the fact that just because a car is small doesn't mean it necessarily must be some entry-level, student beater, econobox model, with the fancy toys reserved for the giant luxury land yachts.

I guess what I find mildly amusing about the backup cameras thing is this:

It's a FOCUS!

Which isn't to say much about its price, rather its size. It's a small car with lots of windows. I can see where a backup camera's a nice addition to a CUV, but yikes. I think I can touch the back window of a Focus from the front seat.

• Like 2

The new Focus is really not a small car anymore in lots of ways. I believe it weighs close to 3200 pounds. They even look bigger on road, and not very much smaller than average mid sizer. The Focus has grown up and the lines between compact and mid sizer are blurring.

I'm sorry FB but yes it is a small car, I drive one and it is small....like you have several feet all around the car when in a parking space. And it has good outward visibility. Definitely does not NEED a backup camera and the lack of one being available is certainly not a serious mistake on Ford's part, as I think was stated somewhere earlier in this thread.

the lack of one being available is certainly not a serious mistake on Ford's part

But there is a backup camera available for the Focus -- specifically, in the Titanium trim line. Certainly you can make the point the Focus doesn't need one -- but then you'd be arguing against its presence in the Titanium, rather than its absence in the ST.

The question was why it's not available in the otherwise similarly loaded Focus ST trim.

MFT, nav, upgraded radio, full leather heated seats, dual climate control, heated mirrors, ambient lighting, etc... the Titanium features are mostly all there. (I say "mostly", because power to the visor is one of the other main missing features from the regular Focus, so no visor lights, HomeLink, or auto-dimming mirror). There's even a full-size spare. So it's not a case of the ST being intended to be only a minimal track car.

Edited by ldd

So . . question to the OP. What size/weight are you and how to you fit in the Recaros? I want this to be my next car, but I sat in a couple at NAIAS and those Recaros were TIGHT! I'm 6'1'' and about 200.

I had the same problem at 6'2 and 225ish...kinda turned me off because it gave me a complex with the seatbacks being so narrow

Seats are tight but given the chance, I'd lose the weight to have this car. Its an absolute blast to drive. I want one bad, I should've waited.

Well, much as I'd like to lose some weight, I think it's more likely I go with an ST1 with cloth seats. The Shelby Focus (which has a slightly gussied up version of the ST1 seats), felt a lot more comfortable.

Or, I was thinking I get an ST2 and then trade the Recaros to someone with regular Focus leather seats.

I do want one of these. . .

As you can see, I'm really not in a hurry to lose weight. . . .

At 5'10" and 170, the Recaro seats fit fine. They are not lounge chairs tho! You wear them.

we are about the same size, I love em, and Im not exactly narrow in the shoulder area ( 42 inch round the boobies ) but narrow in the hips, getting tailored for suits is a friggen bear........

So boneheads. Listen up. Those of who say you don't need a backup camera haven't driven the car. Also when you've had cars that have had them for 5 plus years its a behavioral thing. It's really hard to break a habit. The car s a nightmare to see out of. The back hatch glass is prob a foot away from the bumper.

Anyway the dealer is installing the camera and Ford speced backup sensors in a week.

Got home last night from being gone a week and the car was at the airport. I was so looking forward to getting into it. While I was gone in Florida I drove a loaded 300c and the uconnect system is so much better than myfordtouch. The myfordtouch has serious software flaws while using a Bluetooth connected iphone. Uconnect was flawless.

So boneheads. Listen up. Those of who say you don't need a backup camera haven't driven the car. Also when you've had cars that have had them for 5 plus years its a behavioral thing. It's really hard to break a habit. The car s a nightmare to see out of. The back hatch glass is prob a foot away from the bumper. Anyway the dealer is installing the camera and Ford speced backup sensors in a week. Got home last night from being gone a week and the car was at the airport. I was so looking forward to getting into it. While I was gone in Florida I drove a loaded 300c and the uconnect system is so much better than myfordtouch. The myfordtouch has serious software flaws while using a Bluetooth connected iphone. Uconnect was flawless.

I've come to the conclusion that these systems are just like computers some work some don't. I've had Taurus and 300's with both MyFord and UConnect and in some rentals it works perfectly fine with my iPhone, and in others it sucks. Even the older system in my truck works fine most of the time then randomly I get the "bluetooth connection disconnect"warning. I do wish Ford had a Dock option for the iPhone/Cell Phone that would also have an external antenna and signal booster. A hard connection would make it less fussy.

A backup cam should be on any car. It's just an extra layer of safety. I'm sure it will make the 2014 Focus.

UConnect just got AOL Autos/Autoblog Technology of the Year Award.....a new award, "not because of what it does, but for how UConnect performs every time it's used. Kiley went on to say UConnect works the way it's supposed to, fills a need and puts a smile on your face." Then again it may have worked just fine then, only to have glitches later.....or.......it was a paid for award.

The rear view camera appears to be a packaging issue. As it's tied into the Parking Assist Option that requires an automatic for obvious reasons, it's not available on a manual shift Titanium either. Perhaps you can customize the installation to turn on the rear camera, so it isn't on automatically just in reverse?

The other pic (courtesy of Curbside Classic) illustrates how large "small" cars have gotten.

post-19198-0-97048500-1361731789_thumb.jpgpost-19198-0-31603500-1361731918_thumb.png

Edited by timmm55

So boneheads. Listen up. Those of who say you don't need a backup camera haven't driven the car. Also when you've had cars that have had them for 5 plus years its a behavioral thing. It's really hard to break a habit. The car s a nightmare to see out of. The back hatch glass is prob a foot away from the bumper.

Anyway the dealer is installing the camera and Ford speced backup sensors in a week.

Got home last night from being gone a week and the car was at the airport. I was so looking forward to getting into it. While I was gone in Florida I drove a loaded 300c and the uconnect system is so much better than myfordtouch. The myfordtouch has serious software flaws while using a Bluetooth connected iphone. Uconnect was flawless.

You listen up bonehead, I drive the car every day. It does not NEED a backup camera. Maybe you just need to learn how to drive.

• Like 3