My comparison: 10 midsize sedans

I don't have full reviews up of all the cars, but I've put a lot up at once in response to the criticisms that it's a pain when it trickles out slowly.

What's posted:

Introduction: Photos of the tested cars, cursory market analysis, list of the vehicles tested.

Short reviews (generally five paragraphs each) of each of the 10 cars:

Ratings detailing how the cars compare in different areas: Comfort/luxury, driving experience, practicality, safety, fuel economy, price, and overall.

Rankings that change how different factors are weighted for different types of customers' preferences, under the headings of fancy yet attainable, useful family car, fun yet practical, bargain hunter's pick, and overall:

Full reviews of all or most of the 10, with more detail and complete photo galleries, will go up at some point. Feedback welcomed on the revised format, and apologies in advance for the auto-playing ad videos (which I can't control).

Thanks for sharing . . . ;)

Though I (and my wife) do like MyFordTouch. And our next Ford will have the option . . . so we will not be "avoiding" it. (My phone isn't as fast as I like it to be sometimes, and its touch screen can be fickle too . . . wonder if I should avoid it as well? ('Tongue-in-cheek' comment, not trying to be rude to you.))

Thanks for sharing . . . ;)

Though I (and my wife) do like MyFordTouch. And our next Ford will have the option . . . so we will not be "avoiding" it. (My phone isn't as fast as I like it to be sometimes, and its touch screen can be fickle too . . . wonder if I should avoid it as well? ('Tongue-in-cheek' comment, not trying to be rude to you.))

To be read in the same tongue-in-cheek tone: I guess you should avoid using it, too, while trying to drive. The best systems with touch-screens also have simple buttons and knobs that you can quickly find by feel for basic functions, while leaving the screen as another option for those who like it and for handling complicated settings.

But of course this is a debate that I and others have probably been through, oh, maybe once or twice or a thousand times here...there's probably nothing new under the sun to say about MFT.

I actually think the VW Passat is the best looking of the bunch, but the Fusion certainly has its momentary charm. Not something I would want to own longterm, but it's the new hotness which is fine. Ford can't pull off sophisitcation like VW can, when they try it, it comes out boring. But the Fusion interior design is my favorite by far, as is the tech which is probably the most important consideration for me.

For me the biggest problem with the Fusion is the simple fact that it's too stylish for tall folk (low), it's too impractical in a utilitarian segment and I'm getting too practical in my old age ;) This is why Ford still makes the awesome Taurus btw.

Edited by BORG

Welcome back DC Car Examiner! Your revised comparison test format is very informative and shows commendable attention to details relevant to consumers. It represents a great starting point for performing research during the initial car shopping process.

Oh yes, the autoplay Examiner.com video adverts are indeed annoying. I couldn't get Adblock Plus to suppress it, but I'm sure someone knows what filter criteria to apply.

Ford can't pull off sophisitcation like VW can, when they try it, it comes out boring.

That's your opinion. Mine is that if what VW has is "sophisitcation" (sic), I'm sure glad Ford doesn't do it. Instead of sophistication per se, it appears that Ford's aesthetic is rather more dynamic, judging by the lack of excitement in VW's "sophisitcation". :)

Well done, Brady.... This is probably the best comparison I've seen of yours (and not just because I agree with the results!).

The $1Million question: Are you going to post it over at GMI as well? Those guys are already pissy today about the blandmobile SS release.

It is posted over there. I believe there were 9 posts, the last I saw. A real barn burner...................... LOL. Of course, what do you expect with the positioning of the Malibu.

Ahhhh yes..................... the SS. The Chevy car named after a trim level that looks like it should be a Buick. Thats style to aspire to. :)

A clever strategy for per-click reporting: Lots of categories so everyone wins / ranks high in something, making it popular on the social media for every make.

I'm not sure what you mean by "per-click reporting", but to cite one example Subaru Legacy (surprisingly) garnered middling or unfavorably low positions for each individual category.

While I don't agree with the rank order, I commend the author for analyzing the competitive set from multiple consumer perspectives. Very useful for car shopping homework.

I'm not sure what you mean by "per-click reporting"

Writers for Examiner.com are paid baed on the number of page-views. While I usually like this particular author's articles, I dislike seeing articles posted by people who have a direct financial benefit. It stinks of link spam, and it's a practice Examiner.com encourages directly. But this isn't my site and the mods seem to tolerate it, so I suppose I have no right to whine.

• Like 1

To be read in the same tongue-in-cheek tone: I guess you should avoid using it, too, while trying to drive. The best systems with touch-screens also have simple buttons and knobs that you can quickly find by feel for basic functions, while leaving the screen as another option for those who like it and for handling complicated settings.

But of course this is a debate that I and others have probably been through, oh, maybe once or twice or a thousand times here...there's probably nothing new under the sun to say about MFT.

ok, I need explanation, WHAT buttons exactly are you referring to, that you would deem necessary to touch whilst driving....

I think he is referring to each vehicle being on a distinct page (10 pageviews for 10 cars per visitor). In addition having the different category pages (midsize / best to worst) encourages clicking around and garnering multiple clicks/ pageviews per visitor.

Me? Meh, as long as the content is there, I'm fine with it. Everyone does it.

About the pay-per-click comments: The cars being on different pages are actually on a section of the site that loads pages more quickly but pays at one-tenth the normal rate -- or roughly one penny for each person who clicks through all 10 reviews. I have earned probably two dollars, maybe three, from posting here. I am not doing it for the money.

"ok, I need explanation, WHAT buttons exactly are you referring to, that you would deem necessary to touch whilst driving...."

Since when is anything in a $25,000 car based on dire necessity? If I want to adjust the climate controls -- temperature, fan speed, or vent mode -- I would like to do so while giving the buttons as little attention as possible. The defroster, too, is one that could be considered "necessary."

• Like 2

About the pay-per-click comments: The cars being on different pages are actually on a section of the site that loads pages more quickly but pays at one-tenth the normal rate -- or roughly one penny for each person who clicks through all 10 reviews. I have earned probably two dollars, maybe three, from posting here. I am not doing it for the money.

"ok, I need explanation, WHAT buttons exactly are you referring to, that you would deem necessary to touch whilst driving...."

Since when is anything in a $25,000 car based on dire necessity? If I want to adjust the climate controls -- temperature, fan speed, or vent mode -- I would like to do so while giving the buttons as little attention as possible. The defroster, too, is one that could be considered "necessary."

answer, and I dont mean to sound snippy...then open the manual and learn voice prompts......pretty easy...perhaps a tad slower, but once mastered piece of cake...why is it that no journalist YET seems to have taken the time to learn the nuances of the sync system....it makes the buttons redundant, its only REAL weakness is its learning curve and if you have a car full of screaming kids.....phone, nav ( when part of the package ) climate and radio can ALL be controlled without using buttons ( volume aside....) sorry rear defrost isnt one....but thats pretty easy as well...

why is it that no journalist YET seems to have taken the time to learn the nuances of the sync system....it makes the buttons redundant, its only REAL weakness is its learning curve and if you have a car full of screaming kids...

I think the problem is that Sync/MFT gives the uninitiated too many options to control things, making it harder for them to do things that normally have one option to do so via the center stack for years.

I've been playing with the MFT app on my iPad and looking at the dash/steering wheel of the SHO I'm getting, and once I have everything set (temps, saved presets for Sirius etc) I don't think I'll have to use the touch screen again except when I need to use Nav

answer, and I dont mean to sound snippy...then open the manual and learn voice prompts......pretty easy...perhaps a tad slower, but once mastered piece of cake...why is it that no journalist YET seems to have taken the time to learn the nuances of the sync system....it makes the buttons redundant, its only REAL weakness is its learning curve and if you have a car full of screaming kids.....phone, nav ( when part of the package ) climate and radio can ALL be controlled without using buttons ( volume aside....) sorry rear defrost isnt one....but thats pretty easy as well...

Voice commands are slow compared to pushing a button. My salesperson kept missing the buttons. It locked up during the drive. None of the merits to the system would be lost if there were also simple regular buttons for basic controls. The Fusion does have it at least for stereo volume and tuning; Chrysler's touch screen system -- with tons of functions -- just has regular buttons around it, with nothing lost. No compromises forced. And if the screen is buggy for a minute, you need it.

I don't get why reviewers who seem to hate MFT with a vengeance just don't order a Ford product without it, especially CR. It's only on Lincoln and Titanium models that it's forced down your throat like it or not. I see lots of Ford models in dealer inventory without MFT. So why does every Ford auto review have to be about MFT when it's very easy to drive a new Ford without it? Again, I see a lot more new Fusions in dealer inventory without it than with it.

Voice commands are slow compared to pushing a button. My salesperson kept missing the buttons.

And Voice commands are safer since you can hit a button on the steering wheel...

as for your sales person missing the buttons...sounds like more like a user error or unfamiliarity with the system.

I don't get why reviewers who seem to hate MFT with a vengeance just don't order a Ford product without it, especially CR. It's only on Lincoln and Titanium models that it's forced down your throat like it or not. I see lots of Ford models in dealer inventory without MFT. So why does every Ford auto review have to be about MFT when it's very easy to drive a new Ford without it? Again, I see a lot more new Fusions in dealer inventory without it than with it.

I requested a test drive car with leather but no MFT, to match the equipment levels of the others in the comparison. It exists, but it was apparently too hard to find on the lot, so I drove a car with it and then played with the standard dash in another Fusion.

I requested a test drive car with leather but no MFT, to match the equipment levels of the others in the comparison. It exists, but it was apparently too hard to find on the lot, so I drove a car with it and then played with the standard dash in another Fusion.

I looked at a Fusion with MFT but without leather. It was a no brainer to operate. I don't understand the confusion. 4 quadrants. Pick one.