Phlan Reviews New Lincoln MKZ

The author reveals his bias in the very first paragraph: "there's very little the MKZ offers that can't be had for a lower price in a Ford Fusion"

If the author start with that perspective and chooses to blindly ignore the obvious (completely different styling, different interior, additonal sound insulation, power tilt wheel, THX, adaptive suspension, better warranty, free maintenance, promised ownership experience, etc. etc.) then what good are the author's words that follow?

It's clear the author started with a certain premise (Lincoln sux and it's just a rebadged Fusion) and then tried to build a review around it, even though his own words contradict the story's premise. This isn't suprising since his permise is a false one.

- The attractive interior features soft materials and sweeping surfaces

- The transmission's push-button gear selector is intuitive and easy to use.

- The Lincoln's suspension absorbs bumps well and keeps the car stable in quick maneuvers

- The car corners well and holds the road on fast curves.

- The steering is quick and direct.

- The MKZ's EPA fuel economy rating is at the high end of its class.

- Among the comparable AWD sedans, only the BMW 328i xDrive beats that, and it requires premium fuel while the MKZ uses less-expensive regular

- The 2.0-liter turbo delivers good throttle response for jaunts around town,

- the sport setting adjusts the transmission for satisfying highway passing.

Edited by JasonM
  • Like 3

Good points. It did seem like a lame review without a lot of effort on Phelan's part. A glaring error was the base price of MKZ hybrid. If you are only going to give it two stars, put more effort into why and what exactly is not competitive. Praising it in 10 different areas doesn't exactly square with his rather low rating of it overall. For a vehicle so important to Ford's luxury revival, and writing in Ford's home base, you would think Phelan would bend over backward to give 100% in the writing of this review.

My reply as follows:

Mr. Phelan, you were biased against the car in your opening comments. MKZ shares basic architecture with Fusion, but that is where it ends. Suspension is uprated and more advanced, Body is completely different, interior is vastly uprated and much more luxurious, and most importantly, MKZ is available with a potent V6 whereas Fusion is not available with a V6 at ANY price point....Lincoln is on its way back to prominence and MKZ is her first shot across the competitions bow.....great car!
  • Like 1

I actually replied to this guy. Have no idea if he will read my email or not but I have to say I strongly disagree with his conclusions

Phelan does read emails and does reply to the sender (if you were civil that is). I've written him plenty of times and he's always responded back.

"Most automakers use different platforms, or architectures, for their luxury and mass-market brands, but the MKZ shares its platform and most systems with the Fusion."

Someone needs to clue this joker in that Lexus, Acura, Infinity, and Audis all share platforms and systems with their mainstream versions to some extent too. Especially the first three.

I want to run him over with a 2013 Lincoln MKZ.

His article is pointless and people like him should be nowhere near the auto industry.

If Phelan wrote a review praising he car, we'd being saying what a great guy he his.

The man's entitled to his opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

If Phelan wrote a review praising he car, we'd being saying what a great guy he his.

The man's entitled to his opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

A fair yet critical review wouldn't see such backlash. As a journalist, setting up your bias in the opening paragraph and writing the review behind it isn't something a reputable daily should be doing. If that's the style he wishes to pursue, he should look for a gig with an auto rag.

A fair yet critical review wouldn't see such backlash. As a journalist, setting up your bias in the opening paragraph and writing the review behind it isn't something a reputable daily should be doing. If that's the style he wishes to pursue, he should look for a gig with an auto rag.

I believe the onus is on many reviewers who pretty much do this full time to leave their biases out, do thorough review, report what they see, touch, and feel, and let the reader determine if the vehicle is worth a look. If you are going to say things like interior "feels tight," then do some research and give the interior volume and compare it to other entry level luxury sedans. Same with trunk space. Phelan did that with fuel mileage. Be consistent. Do your homework as professional. Proof read and don't tell us hybrid costs $25,000. And never give your conclusion in first sentence/paragraph of review. In fact, let the reader draw their own conclusions based on credible evidence, not biases. After reading his review, I have no idea how he rated it as only two stars when he loved the trans, adjustable suspension, interior, performance, fuel ratings, engine, touch pad gear selector, and failed to mention retractable top option. I have no idea if new MKZ is best entry level luxury sedan out there, and don't even know if it's better than average, but this review sure didn't help me come to any conclusion either. One of the lazier reviews I've read lately.

People are getting pretty worked up about this idea of "bias," which is a very overused and abused word when it comes to the media. I don't see that first paragraph as exhibiting any particular "bias"; to me, it seems like a pretty good summation of this guy's opinion about the car based on having spent some time with it. He is a car reviewer, right? Which means he's entitled to his opinions. He drove the MKZ, he has driven the Fusion, and IHO, there's not much substantial in the MKZ that's not in the Fusion.

Is there any real evidence that Phelan approached the car on Day 1 before even driving it with this "bias" that it's just a re-badged Fusion? And, did he hold on to this "bias" in the face of convincing evidence to the contrary? Is his review totally out of line with what other reviewers have said about the car? If the answer to any of these was a convincing "yes," well then we might have bias; otherwise I think people are just fired up because he's given a lukewarm review to a car a lot of people on this board have high hopes for.

• Like 1

Most critics tend to follow the herd, you don't see much derivation in print. That herd mentality was evident with the Explorer, before Motor Trend the Explroer got rave reviews, all reviews after Motor Trend were negative.

And I indeed think that the Fusion bias is an important factor here. Assuming the Fusion didn't exist or the MKZ launched well before the new Fusion, would critics then say the MKZ is not much better than a Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima? You can say the same thing about all luxury cars, sharing systems or not sharing system should not play a roll in perception, the ownership experience is what matters most. Lincoln is just very bad at obscuring or convincing people that it's Ford origin doesn't matter. All luxury cars are incrementally better than cheaper cars, but are largely based on the same tech.

I agree that it's a bit hard to praise Lincoln since they do very little of the work themselves, yet they charge allot for their cars. So if Lincoln wants to compete on pricing as well, it makes it hard to respect them if they are spending so little and charging so much. Lincoln essentially creates their cars in a design studio, they don't engineer them, there is no other luxury brand so inactive at engineering and it probably explains why they are having such a hard time launching the MKZ on time despite the meager level of engineering they've done themselves. Running Lincoln is a little like running a startup in a field of seasoned competitors with vastly superior resources.

However, all of that lies in the background and while it certainly contributes to a negative perception of Lincoln, it's not entirely the same story for the consumers shopping for a Lincoln.

Edited by BORG

Worse, there's very little the MKZ offers that can't be had for a lower price in a Ford Fusion.

That isn't an opinion, it's an incorrect statement. Adaptive LED headlamps, fully retractable glass roof, push button shifter, better quality materials and better sound deadening, Lincoln Ride Control, heated and cooled seats, THX Audio, 4 yr/50K b2b warranty, free maintenance, heated rear seats, automatic sun shades, etc. etc. etc.

That is not "very little". If he just said "I prefer the Fusion even though it has less equipment" then that would be an opinion.

And another thing:

For example, the navigation system asked whether I wanted to search for points of interest by category or name. "Name," I replied as I set out for the Sheraton Hotel in Chicago.

"Main menu," the system replied, with the good cheer of a video game that just dropped you through a trap door back to the first level. The troll sent me back to Square 1 three times.

I *just* used this yesterday driving back to Atlanta from Birmingham. The prompt says "By Category or By Name" to which I answered "By Name". Worked perfectly. He said "Name" not "By Name". And this is the reason MFT gets maligned so much - users can't follow simple directions.

Edited by akirby

That isn't an opinion, it's an incorrect statement. Adaptive LED headlamps, fully retractable glass roof, push button shifter, better quality materials and better sound deadening, Lincoln Ride Control, heated and cooled seats, THX Audio, 4 yr/50K b2b warranty, free maintenance, heated rear seats, automatic sun shades, etc. etc. etc.

That is not "very little". If he just said "I prefer the Fusion even though it has less equipment" then that would be an opinion.

And another thing:

I *just* used this yesterday driving back to Atlanta from Birmingham. The prompt says "By Category or By Name" to which I answered "By Name". Worked perfectly. He said "Name" not "By Name". And this is the reason MFT gets maligned so much - users can't follow simple directions.

Don't forget Active Noise Cancellation and an automatic trunk lid.

I agree with Borg's assessment that critics follow herd mentality, new Lincolns have to be all about changing perceptions and entrenched predjudice.

"Lincolns are just gussied up Fords", "Lincoln is not relevant, tried and failed before", "Lincoln is not Cadillac therefore it will fail"

Read any of the popular auto journalist sites' reviews of MKZ and that stuff is bubbling just under the surface.

If only these people would put down their hatchets, they might just enjoy the car for what it is.

Edited by jpd80

Just maybe it would be best for Lincoln for once to come out with its version of latest Ford product FIRST. Then reviewers wouldn't have fresh memory of Ford version of latest model while they are driving and evaluating newest Lincoln version. And with much lower volumes, maybe it would be best to launch Lincoln version first, get that down, and then launch much higher volume, but lower profit/unit Ford. Start with new MKX, launch it, have reviewers throughout nation report on it without any memory of what Ford version was like to drive. No comparisons to color review. Also, with present Edge soldiering on for another 6-12 months after new MKX is out and about, Lincoln dealers can relish inviting more customers than ever coming for look see and maybe resulting in much higher sales numbers. Lincoln is the luxury division and should get the best first. Lincoln can be more profitable than pickups if run correctly and treated as best that Ford offers. Not that you treat Ford as second class citizen, but Lincoln can never be top tier luxury division if treated as second class citizen either. It's really a matter of just changing the timing of your launches so that Lincoln most of time goes first as they are the best vehicles Ford has to offer, not just gussied up Ford's that are an afterthought and way to rip off customers for some extra profit.