Crackly Interference Noise

broncosCA

Anyone else notice this? I have an SE Hybrid, fully pimped out aside from the driver's assistance package which I didn't really want.

That said, I get a static-like/crackly interference in the speakers. It's only audible at low volume levels. Once I hit the quarter mark on the volume indicator, the sound over powers it. Also, at high speeds it's not particularly audible. However, at low speeds, and with quiet audio, it's super crackly and annoying. I'm wondering if it's something I need to take it in to get fixed, or if it's just par for the car. I hate to sound picky, but it's kind of annoying. No other vehicle I've owned has ever had this issue.

If I turn the audio all the way down, the static disappears. But I'll hear it when the speakers activate for another reason (rear sensing beep, telephone call, etc...).

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just me. Or maybe someone even has a solution for it.

Let me know!

Doesn't the hybrid have active noise cancellation? Could be related to that.

It does, and that actually works really well. But it's definitely not coming from the NC speakers (which are above the seats). It comes from the stereo speakers. When I turn the volume all the way off, there's no crackle what so ever. But if I turn it on ever so slightly, there's a slight interference/crackle that comes through.

I'll see if I can record it with a mic tonight, or post it so that you guys can see it.

But please, if anyone else has encountered this let me know. Hard to tell if I'm being paranoid, or reasonable.

Does this happen on any stereo setting? Sat Radio, AM/FM, CD, USB, MP3 etc?

Yep. It's not source related. Which is why I was thinking that either it's just the way they're built (which would suck), or there's something wrong with the way the electrics are wired, or possibly something wrong with my speakers or MFT - obviously figuring out which is gonna require them to take stuff apart and test it, etc... didn't want to deal with that, but rather that than deal with the sound issue.

I have rarely listened to anything other than Sirius, but I have noticed something similar when I first turn on the car and I wait for the Sirius to get a signal. It sounds like a crackling/static sound. To me it is a little annoying, but not sure it is anything to worry about. I have a whistling sound at my drivers door around 45-55 mph I want to have looked at. Maybe I will ask them about the stereo sound when I bring it in.

I've put it up on YT so you can hear it. I've only listened to the video with headphones, and I can definitely hear the difference on the video. Unfortunately, the on-camera mic didn't pick it up all that well, so it's kind of subtle.

Anyway - have a listen. My wife thinks I'm crazy for being annoyed by it.

Hi broncos, yep, my 2013 Hybrid SE does the same thing. At the 0 volume notch you hear nothing, but move it up by one notch and the slight crackling/static from the speakers appears. I don't notice it when I'm driving since other noises at my typical speeds overpower it. But if you're driving at lower speeds or not at all, I could see it being annoying.

Since it wasn't bothering me I haven't taken it to the service department to be looked at. If you do take it in, please post back what you find out. I might get around to taking mine in too...

P.S. You mentioned earlier that there were noise cancellation speakers above the seats. I think those are actually microphones, not speakers.

- Troy

P.S. You mentioned earlier that there were noise cancellation speakers above the seats. I think those are actually microphones, not speakers.

You know, I thought the same thing. The dealer - when showing it to me - told me that they were noise cancellation speakers that output the canceling noise - so that way even when the speaker system is off, the noise cancellation still opperates.

Honestly, I don't know if they're mics or speakers. But I will say that at the very least, my cabin is darn quiet (when the stereo isn't set to 1)

I noticed a crackling noise once while using Siri to read some incoming text messages. iPhone was connected via USB. Was playing music through pandora at quite a loud volume but for some reason, after fade out, siri's voice was quite low volume while reading the message. I'll see if I can replicate.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 MZK with the same probem and it is driving my crazy. Have you found a solution?

The MKZ has been in the dealership several times and they cannot fix it. They have been able to hear the noise and have run tests, checked all connections and told me the system is operating how it is supposed to.

I sat in several other vehicles and noticed the noise is not apperant in the THX radios. I was able to hear it in all cars I sat in with the same entertainment system my MKZ has.

I believe this to be a problem with the entertainment system and Ford has a big problem on their hands.