Any Focus ST drivers here??

fireman9027

• 3 months later...

Well David, I realize this was started back in January but I thought I would respond as I'm on Florida's East Coast as well.

I have had SVT/ST vehicles since 1999 (SVT Contour/Focus), and all I have to say is this ST is great.

If you enjoy and can tolerate Idiosyncrasies’ of a high power front driver, you will enjoy the FFST. I drove a few other cars prior to getting this just because I knew the automotive press would pair them up in comparison testing. VW GTI, Dadge Dart, etc.... Again, this is no Evo or STi as it is only front wheel drive.

I'll put it this way, I was in Germany a few years ago and had an opportunity to drive an ST on the Autobohn and I was sold. I just had to wait til Ford brought it to the U.S.

I was going to have one some way. If I had to import one I would have.

Yes....you can say I like my ST

CocoaBob

Edited by CocoaBob

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my ST about four months now. I like it more than I did when I bought it. The car has its faults, but there's a lot of things to like. And just driving it makes me willing to forgive a lot more than I need to. It's a wonderfully alive and compliant car.

My biggest complaint would probably be that some of the exterior fit and finish isn't quite what it could be. (The molding under the windows and the curvature at the B pillar; the difficult fit of the taillights, combined with the lack of a gasket which sometimes leads to paint-destroying issues.) For the interior, it's just short of bizarre to me that there's no dead pedal. I tend to use those even for getting in and out of a car, not just as a footrest while driving. The carpet isn't going to survive many years without one.

One of the few features I've wished for is an auto-dimming rear view mirror. Apparently the overhead isn't wired, so no power to the mirrors; also apparently the reason why there's no visor with a Homelink garage door opener. A number of people wish for the backup camera from the Titanium. And there's a host of small things I've seen mentioned: some people want, for instance, remote window control on the key fob. Or there are software features that would be nice. I'd like to see the TPMS pressure values for each tire, not just a repeat of the binary idiot light on the dash. And there's a quad display of MPG, distance, etc., for the 4" display on the Euro Focus that would be nice. But if we're this far down the list to find complaints, then you have to consider that the car is pretty successful.

What else did I consider? In the big picture, I thought about a G37. I also briefly considered the Fusion hybrid. Too expensive and too big for me. I like the utility of the hatch, so I looked hardest at the direct hot hatch competition: VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, Volvo C30. Without going into vast detail, there are reasonable choices on that list; the GTI would have been my second choice. The WRX is just a bit dated, and really needs a new version to keep up, particularly for the interior. MS3 also lags a bit; why buy a hatch based on the Mk2 Focus when you can get a Mk3 version? Also, torque steer. The Volvo seemed okay, but the options price it out of the ballpark pretty quickly. (And it's partially based on a Mk2 Focus as well.)

Edited by ldd

I have had SVT/ST vehicles since 1999 (SVT Contour/Focus), and all I have to say is this ST is great.

CocoaBob

I am also a former 1999 Contour SVT owner and loved the car! I kept it for 13 years. Added BAT springs, Koni Sport shocks, and a fat rear bar, and what a sweet autocross car it was. Can't wait for my first autocross in the ST next month! May it provide as much fun as the CSVT did.

I've had my ST for a couple of months & I like it. I also have an 03 SVT Focus with the EAP package. Both have their strong points - the 03 is more old style/involving to drive; has a better gearbox (IMHO). The ST obviously has more power and is easier to drive in town because of the torque (3rd gear is very usable!). My only problem with the ST is that the downshift from 3rd to 2nd is clunky. Pull the shifter too far left and it misses the gate.

Anybody else noticed that problem?

Would like to have a backup camera....

• 1 month later...
I've had my ST for a couple of months & I like it. I also have an 03 SVT Focus with the EAP package. Both have their strong points - the 03 is more old style/involving to drive; has a better gearbox (IMHO). The ST obviously has more power and is easier to drive in town because of the torque (3rd gear is very usable!). My only problem with the ST is that the downshift from 3rd to 2nd is clunky. Pull the shifter too far left and it misses the gate.

Anybody else noticed that problem?

Would like to have a backup camera....

Hmm I noticed that while test driving the car, drove me nuts; kept missing the gate into 2nd gear. I was told it was because I wasn't used to how domestic cars do it. I figure I'll get used to it eventually, looking to buy one this summer :-)

I've been driving manual for 8 years, but only on Japanese cars. It was my first time on a domestic stickshift so not sure if the salesguy was blowing smoke.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've had my ST about four months now. I like it more than I did when I bought it. The car has its faults, but there's a lot of things to like. And just driving it makes me willing to forgive a lot more than I need to. It's a wonderfully alive and compliant car.

My biggest complaint would probably be that some of the exterior fit and finish isn't quite what it could be. (The molding under the windows and the curvature at the B pillar; the difficult fit of the taillights, combined with the lack of a gasket which sometimes leads to paint-destroying issues.) For the interior, it's just short of bizarre to me that there's no dead pedal. I tend to use those even for getting in and out of a car, not just as a footrest while driving. The carpet isn't going to survive many years without one.

One of the few features I've wished for is an auto-dimming rear view mirror. Apparently the overhead isn't wired, so no power to the mirrors; also apparently the reason why there's no visor with a Homelink garage door opener. A number of people wish for the backup camera from the Titanium. And there's a host of small things I've seen mentioned: some people want, for instance, remote window control on the key fob. Or there are software features that would be nice. I'd like to see the TPMS pressure values for each tire, not just a repeat of the binary idiot light on the dash. And there's a quad display of MPG, distance, etc., for the 4" display on the Euro Focus that would be nice. But if we're this far down the list to find complaints, then you have to consider that the car is pretty successful.

What else did I consider? In the big picture, I thought about a G37. I also briefly considered the Fusion hybrid. Too expensive and too big for me. I like the utility of the hatch, so I looked hardest at the direct hot hatch competition: VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, Volvo C30. Without going into vast detail, there are reasonable choices on that list; the GTI would have been my second choice. The WRX is just a bit dated, and really needs a new version to keep up, particularly for the interior. MS3 also lags a bit; why buy a hatch based on the Mk2 Focus when you can get a Mk3 version? Also, torque steer. The Volvo seemed okay, but the options price it out of the ballpark pretty quickly. (And it's partially based on a Mk2 Focus as well.)

I agree with not having the homelink and the lights in the visors. What is anoying the wiring is already in the ceiling not sure why they went with out that option. I just wish with a "World Car" at least make the rear camera and sensor available, and the remote windows, and maybe the door edge protectors.

Now with the TSB 13-6-27 IPC update for INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) INOPERATIVE AT START·UP· BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/6/2013. Solves the Quad display.

I have been looking at geting a rear view miror with the homelink and just wiring it to the now known wires to the visor mirors about the head liner. Other option is get a set of the Titanium visors and dye them and put them in the car. just have to price a set.

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to this thread, but I've just turned 3,000 in my ST (an ST3 with all options). I have to say, the Recaro seats are amazingly comfortable. The handling is a little "active" on bumpy streets but has otherwise never ceased to amaze and amuse me. There are no squeaks, rattles, buzzes, or odd clunks. The doors slam shut very easily and with a satisfying "thwuck" sound. The acceleration is always entertaining and I think the engine is easily as smooth as V-6's and V-8's. The little Ecoboost has an amazing amount of torque. First gear is a little high, but after that it doesn't seem to matter whether you're accelerating in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th--it just scoots. I would love to see what kind of 0-60 numbers this could pull off with an AWD system. It's acceptably quiet, though I think the exhaust sound is too quiet. Parking in town is ridiculously easy (coming from a Taurus, this feels like half a car!), although the turning radius is along the lines of an F350. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy the car.

Things I'd change? I'd love the backup camera. My last two cars had it and I really miss it. Fuel economy (when I've tried to care) is less than I had expected. It's good, but nothing to crow about (not that I'm complaining). I'd prefer the door lock switch on the door panels instead of in the middle of the dash. Still can't get used to that. I would love to have the keypad entry on the door. That's a weird omission on a Ford product. I would have just painted the wheels a graphite color and be done with it. The brake pads dust the wheels so quickly that they always look mussy--and yes, I know that's the tradeoff for that type of brake pad. Otherwise, the car is just a hoot to drive. Plus, it's practically invisible. Mine's black and seems like a sleeper.

I posted back in May about my experiences with the ST3. I've since had a Nav TV backup camera installed & I'm glad I did. Added some gray aftermarket wheels (OZ) that don't show brake dust as badly; like those too. (When time comes to replace the brake pads, I will go with something not as dusty, even if it means a bit of loss in efficiency. Agree with Boomer Sooner.)

Just came back from a quick (and I mean quick) 400 mile interstate trip, mostly in the rain. More impressed than ever with this car, and I'm a old guy, (true 'boomer' way out of the demographic,) that's owned a lot of Mustangs and other "inexpensive" sport/performance cars. The is ST is the most fun, most drivable, most "planted" vehicle I've ever owned. Unbelievably stable at 80-90 - my average speed on aforementioned trip. Averaged about 27 mpg on the rainy interstate run.

If available, I would consider an automatic or dual clutch transmission with true paddle shifters in an ST - mostly for the wife's convenience when he helps with driving. However, not the tranny in the regular Focus. Had a 2012 Focus Titanium sedan and traded it for the ST because the transmission was so clunky.

• 1 month later...

The ST is the first car I've owned with "summer only" tires. Well, it's no longer summer. In fact, it's (to me) disagreeably cold. They've only got about 3,000 miles on them, so tread depth is virtually "like new". I've driven my Eagle F1's in low 20's and in low 30's in the rain. The F1's seem to stop okay and I haven't noticed them sliding much in turns. However, they lose traction very easily under modest acceleration (which could partly also be a function of air density during cold, wet weather effecting a turborcharged engine). Aside from that quibble, does anyone else know what the downside is of introducing my "summer only" tires to the other three seasons? Sure, I anticipate they will be plenty greasy in snow and ice, but it's been three years since I saw any significant accumulations of that where I live. Am I marking myself as penny wise and pound foolish or have I now already experienced the worst of the "summer only" tire effects?

• 7 months later...

Awhile back, Ford sent a brochure advertising some performance parts. Did anyone try those parts? In particular, did anyone install either M-9603A-FST or M-14204-FST (the former includes the new air box, the latter doesn't)? They both claim 90 lb-ft more torque and both are pretty inexpensive (cheaper still if you search around on the 'net). I'm not racing my car, but it would be nice to have a little more torque during these hot, humid summer days that sap a turbo's power.