Ordering new car through dealer

I'm just curious, what's to stop somebody from ordering a car to be built through multiple dealers? I ask because there are so many cut throat dealers out there that even after you order your car they're trying to get you to order through them instead. Seems to me if somebody did that but didn't cancel their original order there should be some type of repercussions? Do dealers even care, because they'll just end up getting the car and selling it anyway.

Would love to hear from dealers and people who have experienced this type of situation.

I'm not a dealer, but my first thouht is you would most likely have to put money down on both vehicles and depending on the dealership's policies, may have to work to get it back. Also, the car you ordered for yourself might not be a car the dealership would order for general sales. I may be off on this, but other than one or two fully loaded upper trims, dealerships tend to order mid to lower trim cars, priced low to move fast.

I've been told that yes you put $ down, but it's not like an escrow and if you back out or dislike the car when it arrives it's easy to get the $ back. Some dealers say they don't even cash the check.

I've never put money down. But with "A" plan, I don't shop multiple dealers either.

I've never put money down. But with "A" plan, I don't shop multiple dealers either.

Wish I had a PIN for one of the plans Ford offers. How'd you get A, must work for Ford? Don't suppose you want to hire me part-time for a few months until my car arrives? :-)

I use Z plan and I don't shop dealers either. That's the beauty of it - it's the same price wherever you go. I bought my 2010 Fusion from another dealer than my 2013. Their service was terrible.

Yes, many if not most dealers require a deposit in order to place a retail order for a specific customer but policies vary from dealership to dealership and also if there's a relationship with the customer. Contrary to the public's perception, dealerships are owned by business people that truly value your business and will do what's right to earn your business. Just deal with them honestly and they'll most likely do the same.

Most dealerships will ask for some sort of deposit, for my 2011 MKX order they wanted $400, for my 2013 MKX dealer trade (which fell through) they wanted $100. It's a random number that the sales rep seems to come up with. I left my deposit with the dealer to secure a 2013 MKZ order.

Yes, many if not most dealers require a deposit in order to place a retail order for a specific customer but policies vary from dealership to dealership and also if there's a relationship with the customer. Contrary to the public's perception, dealerships are owned by business people that truly value your business and will do what's right to earn your business. Just deal with them honestly and they'll most likely do the same.

What about the price that you agree on when you order the car, it's possible for them to increase it if their price goes up by time of delivery. But is it also possible to continue to negotiate down if other dealers are trying to give you a better deal to order through them? Likewise, I suppose it's unethical for one dealer to tell a customer to cancel an order they've already placed in-order to get the car ordered through them.

What about the price that you agree on when you order the car, it's possible for them to increase it if their price goes up by time of delivery. But is it also possible to continue to negotiate down if other dealers are trying to give you a better deal to order through them? Likewise, I suppose it's unethical for one dealer to tell a customer to cancel an order they've already placed in-order to get the car ordered through them.

I ordered my black 1985 Mustang GT with some specific items and waited eight weeks for delivery. When the car came in, the dealer said there was a price increase that I must pay to get the car. Back then, the Fox Mustangs were just coming into their own, and the salesman told me that customers were lined up asking about the car as it was being unloaded from the delivery truck. There would be no problem if I didn't want the car. I huffed and puffed; but paid the difference. We still have it; and has only been driven sparingly since 1987.

That's what I'm afraid of too, in my area every Fusion Hybrid that I've seen is either sold before it gets there, or within about 2-3 days of being on the lot. What's to stop the dealers from extracting more cash from me because they know demand is so high that they could sell it for more if I back out?

Dealing with the whole process kinda sucks, wish I could just order it from Amazon...

• Like 1

Retail orders are price protected to the price level in effect on the date of order. Price protection is automatic and the only requirement is that the sales reporting name must match the order name exactly. The majority of rebates are now also locked in at the time of order. We only ask for a deposit on units which would be extremely hard to sell if the deal falls through.

Retail orders are price protected to the price level in effect on the date of order. Price protection is automatic and the only requirement is that the sales reporting name must match the order name exactly. The majority of rebates are now also locked in at the time of order. We only ask for a deposit on units which would be extremely hard to sell if the deal falls through.

You must not be in Oregon. Every dealer I've talked with has asked for a deposit from $100- $1,000. Some say you can get incentived only for whay's out there when car arrives and others say you get the better of when the car is ordered vs when delivered.

Out of curiosity, what do you do if somebody backs out? Does it even matter to business, other than you have +1 in inventory?

wazzul, I see from your signature you're requesting an X-Plan pin. I know the new Fusion Hybrid is already a hot car, but why don't you go to a couple/three dealers and get some price quotes, then you can play them off each other, decide on a price you want to pay and go from there. I had an X-Plan pin but negotiated a better price on my 2013 Escape. I had purchased two new cars from the same salesman so I had a relationship built with him, but it's worth a try.

Also, not every dealership is "cut throat" or shady. Car dealerships are independent businesses and want to earn and keep your business. If you make a deal, they will honor it, (at least around here) to earn your business. Have them print a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC), on it will be the price you negotiated. If a dealership requires a down payment after you have your VOC, it's an informal contract that you will honor the deal and ensure you will come back, at least to pick up your downpayment and reduce the risk you will leave them with a car they don't want or need. If you feel uncomfortable with a dealership or salesman, let them know in a letter or e-mail and go down the road.

Edited by transitman

I'd imagine it varies with the jurisdiction. But in mine, a deposit given on an order is binding and although the dealer may choose to give it back if the customer backs out, they are under no legal obligation to do so. As was said earlier, if the order is for a unit that will easily sell (e.g. Raptor) then a refund of the deposit is no big deal. However, if it's for some oddball car that would not have been ordered for stock, then the customer will be losing their deposit if they back out.

wazzul, I see from your signature you're requesting an X-Plan pin. I know the new Fusion Hybrid is already a hot car, but why don't you go to a couple/three dealers and get some price quotes, then you can play them off each other, decide on a price you want to pay and go from there. I had an X-Plan pin but negotiated a better price on my 2013 Escape. I had purchased two new cars from the same salesman so I had a relationship built with him, but it's worth a try.

Also, not every dealership is "cut throat" or shady. Car dealerships are independent businesses and want to earn and keep your business. If you make a deal, they will honor it, (at least around here) to earn your business. Have them print a Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC), on it will be the price you negotiated. If a dealership requires a down payment after you have your VOC, it's an informal contract that you will honor the deal and ensure you will come back, at least to pick up your downpayment and reduce the risk you will leave them with a car they don't want or need. If you feel uncomfortable with a dealership or salesman, let them know in a letter or e-mail and go down the road.

this is one way to do it, depends on how valuable you find your own time weighed against POTENTIALLY saving a couple of hundred dollars off of X-plan price. Is it worth running from dealer to dealer wasting gas and your own personal time?...Realize your AMAZON wish....convenience trumps hours of research and frustration...and THATS if you do get a better price than X Plan, and it wont be much at all really.........I understand Transitmans modus operatus but I couldnt tolerate bouncing from Dealer to Dealer just to save a relatively small amount more than most give off the bat, and X-plan is MORE than fair for a regular customer to realize and agree to.

this is one way to do it, depends on how valuable you find your own time weighed against POTENTIALLY saving a couple of hundred dollars off of X-plan price. Is it worth running from dealer to dealer wasting gas and your own personal time?...Realize your AMAZON wish....convenience trumps hours of research and frustration...and THATS if you do get a better price than X Plan, and it wont be much at all really.........I understand Transitmans modus operatus but I couldnt tolerate bouncing from Dealer to Dealer just to save a relatively small amount more than most give off the bat, and X-plan is MORE than fair for a regular customer to realize and agree to.

Well said, that is exactly what I was trying to avoid although prior to making my decision I had been emailling back and forth with a few different dealers. I decided to use the X-plan and ordered my car, no nonsense, no need to negotiate. But when I told the other dealers what I did and that I used X-plan one of them said he could beat it by $500 and has me giving it a second thought...

I contemplated for awhile but then realized I made a verbal commitment with the first dealer and the X-plan rules actually specify that you can not negotiate once you present that pin. In my opinion it would be unethical to switch and go with the dealer who is willing to bend the rules.

I'll be sticking with my original order. Now let's just hope they start building soon!

Well said, that is exactly what I was trying to avoid although prior to making my decision I had been emailling back and forth with a few different dealers. I decided to use the X-plan and ordered my car, no nonsense, no need to negotiate. But when I told the other dealers what I did and that I used X-plan one of them said he could beat it by $500 and has me giving it a second thought...

I contemplated for awhile but then realized I made a verbal commitment with the first dealer and the X-plan rules actually specify that you can not negotiate once you present that pin. In my opinion it would be unethical to switch and go with the dealer who is willing to bend the rules.

I'll be sticking with my original order. Now let's just hope they start building soon!

unfortunately that will happen, but take it from me, half the time its just a ploy to make you feel bad...little sour grapes, and its something dealers do when they realize they have lost a sale...the classic is...did they tell you about the $2000 rebate they just came out with?.....apologies about the games that can be played...I doubt it will ever change....enjoy your car, congrats on obtaining a hybrid at a KILLER deal, and welcome to thr Ford Family....( ps, look up if the American Quarterhorse rebate is applicable, if so (( and I beleive it is )) there IS an additional $500 rebate, but you must be a member for 60 days or more, costs 35 or $50 I beleive . Cheers. Dean )

I just ordered a hybrid for a customer myself, programs are Zip code dependent, but American Quarterhorse IS applicable to hybrid, see if you are elegible for program 34226, or let me know your zip code and i will check, im back tommorow. Dean