Lincoln's New Videos

Lincoln released two videos today to relaunch the company.

Both of them are taking a page out of the Chrysler "Imported from Detroit" campaign, right down to American nostalgia and the acknowledgement that they are in a state of reinvention. I don't think the Lincoln ads are nearly as impactful or memorable, but they do a good job defining Lincoln's mission statement.

http://youtu.be/ZIGL_Mxn0NU

http://youtu.be/L5_xFBcAab0

Edited by BORG

The first one was much better executed and I could easily see that resonating more (though it also depends on how they pare it down into a 30 second spot).

As for the second one. It would have been perfect if they clip the first few seconds. While the name "Lincoln" certainly is derived from our 16th president, it seems a trifle hokey to include a likeness of him walking dramatically through fog. Leave that for the movies.

• Like 2

While the name "Lincoln" certainly is derived from our 16th president, it seems a trifle hokey to include a likeness of him walking dramatically through fog. Leave that for the movies.

:yup:

Furthermore, the 16th President is one of the most polarizing and controversial figures in U.S. political history. Drama of his likeness is not the best choice IMO for an advertising campaign, even if he is the eponym for the brand.

Furthermore, the 16th President is one of the most polarizing and controversial figures in U.S. political history. Drama of his likeness is not the best choice IMO for an advertising campaign, even if he is the eponym for the brand.

Polarizing and converersial at the time. Not many Americans today who will say he was a bad president.

As I elaborated in the other thread, the Lincoln imagery serves its purpose in this ad very, very well.

Full disclosure: aneekr's views on the Civil War are not representative of the general public's.

Thank you RichardJensen - that is correct. And it's 'War Between the States'...

(With that, the end of aneekr's posting comments about the 16th U.S. President on Blue Oval Forums)

Edited by aneekr

Hardly polarizing. He's considered the Best President by historians http://www.infoplease.com/spot/presrankings1.html

The Great Emancipator would not represent old white guys from the South too well, but that's a double dying demographic anyway.

Fringe views (As a friend from Alabama called it "The War of Northern Aggression") have faded away.

One of the first questions a newbie will ask is "What is a Lincoln?" As a nod to it's namesake it is warranted, even necessary to clarify.

A moving view of Mt. Rushmore would have been very effective and maybe better than an actor because we all know exactly what the man looks like!

A moving view of Mt. Rushmore would have been very effective and maybe better than an actor because we all know exactly what the man looks like!

That would have been nice. I don't dislike the inclusion of Lincoln (the man), just the overdramatics of it. With all that fog, I expected one of those Twilight vampires sparkly things to walk in behind him or something. It immediately took me out of the commercial. I like the Rushmore idea, but it's done and it certainly isn't the end of the world, just a nitpick (and certainly just my personal opinion).

I mean, it isn't exactly the first time a historical presidential figure was in a car commercial....eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMRMW1FXSHw

Full disclosure: aneekr's views on the Civil War are not representative of the general public's.

What Civil War? Oh, you mean the War of Northern Aggression.

I had classmates refer to the war that way in the late '70s early '80s at the Universtiy of South Florida.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

What Civil War? Oh, you mean the War of Northern Aggression.

Personally, I prefer the more genteel "Late Unpleasantness Between the States." You still see a lot of Confederate Naval Ensigns in some parts of this state, and even some of the Stars and Bars, but even there you no longer hear much about the War Between the States in general, and I doubt many harbor any ill feelings towards Lincoln. (We do have a professor with a big-time man crush on Lincoln; he might be offended by using his likeness in an ad, but that's probably about it.)

And I can't let this go without including on of my favorite quotes, by Yankee General Sedgwick, just before being killed by a sniper's bullet at Spotsylvania:

"Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1