Ford to upgrade, extend warranty on MFT

Ford to upgrade, extend warranty on MyFord touch-screen system

Nichola Groom

Ford plans to upgrade its touch-screen entertainment and navigation system beginning next month as well as extend the warranty on the software by two years.

-- http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121128/OEM/121129878/ford-to-upgrade-extend-warranty-on-myford-touch-screen-system&cciid=email-autonews-blast

Never mind the "journalists" at CR will still pan it for not doing what they want............

Ford has improved the voice recognition capability and navigation in what it calls "version 3.5" of the software, Mark Fields,

Ford's head of the Americas, said on Wednesday. Ford will offer the first wave of updates to some users on December 10.

"We're thinking more and more like not only a car company, but a technology company," Fields said during a roundtable with

reporters during the Los Angeles Auto Show. "It's very important to update the vehicles on a more frequent basis particularly

around software and applications."

Prospective car buyers highly value features like Bluetooth or the ability to stream music from their smart phones, analysts said.

But so far, many automakers have struggled to create systems that are effective and intuitive.

Read more: http://www.foxbusine.../#ixzz2DaekplXl

Regular updates are the key, let buyer know that the system is being continually improved.

Edited by jpd80

Interesting, do we know what's new with 3.5?

This is from the explorer forum, where there is a Ford rep monitoring and answering questions. Ford deserves some credit for reaching out to forums and facebook. The reps can't answer everything, but are generally very helpful. She is referencing questions about MFT V3.5.1. Of course my immediate question, if I order a new nav card will it be free?

"Hi, everyone!

Here are a couple answers to the most popular questions you've all asked:

When will this be available on SYNCMyRide.com? For those of you without NAV, it will be available for download in a couple weeks. Those of you with NAV, you'll be able to download the update and order a new SD card starting in early January. You may also visit your dealer if you don't wish to update your MFT on your own.

What improvements does this new software deliver? This new software update, developed in partnership with Microsoft, delivers on our promise to continuously improve the system based on customer feedback. Software Version 3.5 features improvements, including:

• Simplified Bluetooth® phone pairing: When pairing, the driver simply has to hit "OK" if the PIN on the phone and touch screen match each other

• More natural voice recognition: Drivers can now simply say "Play " when requesting a specific artist, song, album or genre of music (i.e. "Play jazz" versus "Play genre jazz")

• Improved voice recognition accuracy: The latest version of Nuance's speech software, VoCon® 3200 v4.2, improves overall voice recognition performance

• Flattened audio command structure: At any time, drivers can say the station frequency, "AM 760," or the official name of the Sirius station, like "Hits 1," to tune in; drivers no longer need to say "Radio" or "Sirius" to indicate their desire to listen to those audio sources

• Navigation controls simplified: The destination entry screen has been improved to help make it easier to enter an address.

Please let me know what other questions you may have!

Rebecca

Ford In-Vehicle Technology Team: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)t: @FordService @Fordf: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford"

Gosh, it is like Ford is treating MFT like modern electronics with software updates on a regular basis.

What a novel approach. You know, like cell phone companies do, and tablet companies do, and computer companies do.

Anyone who expected an initial version of any software to be the end all be all for ever and ever, with no upgrades ever needed......................... must not own any other electronics.

Took delivery of the 2013 Ford Escape about 2-weeks ago and they updated MyFord for me before they delivered. I noticed it had the simplified bluetooth pairing while my MKX didn't. I thought this was peculiar since I assumed both cars are on 3.2. I'll have to look at the Escape now to see if it's already on 3.5

Gosh, it is like Ford is treating MFT like modern electronics with software updates on a regular basis.

What a novel approach. You know, like cell phone companies do, and tablet companies do, and computer companies do.

Anyone who expected an initial version of any software to be the end all be all for ever and ever, with no upgrades ever needed......................... must not own any other electronics.

Going back to the launch of 1.8 on the 2011 Edge 2 years ago, I've seen at least 8 software releases if not more. At one point they were putting out a new one every 2 months trying to get things stabilized.

Problems with MFT have not been attributable to a lack of effort or concern on Ford's part.

I have a C-Max hybrid specifically with MyFord touch and love it, love it, love it. Easy to use with all of the options anyone would want. I really can't understand all of the angst over it.

But, but, MFT is terrible, all the reports say so......: :stirpot:

Edited by jpd80

Problems with MFT have not been attributable to a lack of effort or concern on Ford's part.

Ford certainly deserves credit for its efforts to improve the system, which have been substantial. I will grant them that.

The fact that MFT still has a long way to go until it matches the reliability and design of better systems (like the Clarion OE nav/infotainment unit for Ford products) underscores how atrocious MFT was in the beginning. Maybe they will start anew and apply lessons learned from the MFT debacle in designing the next generation of IVI in Ford vehicles.

Ford certainly deserves credit for its efforts to improve the system, which have been substantial. I will grant them that.

The fact that MFT still has a long way to go until it matches the reliability and design of better systems (like the Clarion OE nav/infotainment unit for Ford products) underscores how atrocious MFT was in the beginning. Maybe they will start anew and apply lessons learned from the MFT debacle in designing the next generation of IVI in Ford vehicles.

Let's not kid ourselves - MFT is way more complicated than the old Clarion OE system (which I think I have in my 08 Edge and which I agree works fine).

Comparing MFT to pre-MFT nav/infotainment systems is like comparing a smartphone to a calculator.

• Like 2

The fact that MFT still has a long way to go until it matches the reliability and design of better systems.

That's not a fact, just your opinion.

At least one person on here who actually own a 2013 MFT equipped vehicle loves the system and can't understand all the fuss...

That's not a fact, just your opinion.

At least one person on here who actually own a 2013 MFT equipped vehicle loves the system and can't understand all the fuss...

My opinion of MyFordTouch, having used it in six different vehicles MY 2011 to 2013, is not favorable, but also irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. My fellow Blue Oval Forum members are certainly welcome to ignore it.

Not my opinion is the contribution of MyFordTouch to lower scores for Ford Motor Company in multiple quality & customer satisfaction surveys and vehicle reviews even after several iterations of the software, not to mention Ford's decision to extend warranties on the component. It is representative of poor design and implementation regarding this system. As I mentioned in my earlier reply, Ford has expended much effort improving MFT for which they deserve credit, but that effort is far from over. It's unlikely Ford would announce further upgrades and warranty extensions if it was.

A sample size of at least one who love the current system? How is that any more relevant than my opinion or the opinions of others here on Blue Oval Forums who don't?

Edited by aneekr

My opinion of MyFordTouch, having used it in six different vehicles MY 2011 to 2013, is not favorable, but also irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly so let's move on instead of living in "six months ago land", there's another upgrade out soon.

The continuous upgrades to MFT means that problems are being cycled out with software upgrades so unlike a faulty piece of hardware,

once the correct upgrades are applied, the system is fixed to the satisfaction of the majority of users. The system will never be perfect

in the eyes of consumers like yourself who were clearly dudded in the start and made wait for update after update but the alternative

of being Chrysler and doing nothing was never an option. One can only hope that continuing upgrades satisfy more users.

Edited by jpd80

Not my opinion is the contribution of MyFordTouch to lower scores for Ford Motor Company in multiple quality & customer satisfaction surveys and vehicle reviews even after several iterations of the software, not to mention Ford's decision to extend warranties on the component. It is representative of poor design and implementation regarding this system.

First of all, many of the lower scores on reviews and customer satisfaction and whatnot go away as more and more people become accustom to things like this in cars.

The first time people get in a car with a bunch of gadgets and menus, or cars that require user configuration and things like that - they freak out because they are not used to it. They look at it like it is too complicated. But thats just because they are not used to it.

When I first got my original iPhone SO SO many people told me that it was just too much to deal with, that they would just stick with their old nokia, motorolla or sony "dumb phone" because it did everything they need. Smart phones were too much hassle, too complex, too much money etc etc etc.

6 years later EVERYONE has a darn "smartphone" and Apple can't make iPhones fast enough to meet demand - even though now they are even more complex and do way more than they used to. But now people are familiar with them. People have adjusted, and the market shifted. Now "feature" phones (new name for "dumb" phones) are starting to disappear from the marketplace because people *want* all the newfangled bells and whistles on the new more complex phones.

The same thing is happening with cars. Once the majority of cars sold are being sold with these fancy "infotainment" systems, people will start to adjust and it will become the norm. Once it becomes the norm, people will largely stop complaining about them. More and more and more cars are coming with these kinds of systems.

Ford has extended the warranty not as a sign that it sucks but as a message to consumers: "We believe in our product enough to cover all the costs that may arise from any potential issues".

Hyundai changed the automotive industry with their 10 year 100k mile warranty. No one had ever heard of such a thing. But at that time Hyundai was the laughing stock of the auto industry. People in general thought Hyundai was crap. Hyundai knew otherwise. They didn't make a 10 year warranty because they knew their stuff would break down - just the opposite, they knew it *wouldn't* and they wanted to tell consumers that consumers could trust it too. Hyundai became the fastest growing auto company as a result, and is now a real player in the industry. No longer a joke.

Ford knows that MFT is now OK, and will only get better as they fix and improve and fix and improve. They want consumers to stop listening to all the uproar in the press, and they are saying to consumers - HEY, no matter what you read *we* believe in this product and we put our money where our mouth is.

Again - all the companies are going this way. Mark my words: within a decade it will be nearly impossible to find a vehicle without a largely computer/touch based interface. Just like power locks and windows - infotainment is here to stay.