Automobile magazine: MFT 6th out of 6

January 2013 edition. Was going to add this to the end of the CR thread but thought you guys would like a new thread to continue your debate. Maybe I'm trying to stir the pot, not a big poster, keep my opinions to myself, but enjoy your debates. But I have a 2012 Explorer and 2013 Escape (and a 2002 E150, 3 Ford family, had 1999 F250 before the van), both with MFT, both on V3.2.2, and both still have issues, nothing life threatening, but when one day on the same drive to work Nav takes 15+ minutes to acquire GPS when if normally takes (same time of day same weather conditions) 2 minutes, it can be annoying. Then the black screen preforming scheduled maintenance (reboot) and works fine (for a while). They are both going in for the V3.5.1 upgrade soon, so Ford is trying to improve and are improving, compared to earlier versions. But for the non-techie person, like my co-worker's 60ish year old brother who can't stand his MKX because of MFT, after owning many Lincolns, I can see where it can be frustrating and maybe a reason to switch brands.

Oh, the ratings, 1-6, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Caddy/Hyundai tied, MFT.

Edited by tucker_bmd

It's obviously frustrating and there are some owners who probably won't buy another Ford because of it and that's not good. However, there are also a lot of buyers who bought a Ford specifically because of MFT and who are happy with it. It seems to be a net positive outcome and assuming they now have the really bad bugs under control they can move forward with the next generation system that should be even better.

And just for the record - there are 2011 Edge owners who have never had a serious problem with MFT. Even the serious problems on the first gen software didn't affect everyone.

January 2013 edition. Was going to add this to the end of the CR thread but thought you guys would like a new thread to continue your debate. Maybe I'm trying to stir the pot, not a big poster, keep my opinions to myself, but enjoy your debates. But I have a 2012 Explorer and 2013 Escape (and a 2002 E150, 3 Ford family, had 1999 F250 before the van), both with MFT, both on V3.2.2, and both still have issues, nothing life threatening, but when one day on the same drive to work Nav takes 15+ minutes to acquire GPS when if normally takes (same time of day same weather conditions) 2 minutes, it can be annoying. Then the black screen preforming scheduled maintenance (reboot) and works fine (for a while). They are both going in for the V3.5.1 upgrade soon, so Ford is trying to improve and are improving, compared to earlier versions. But for the non-techie person, like my co-worker's 60ish year old brother who can't stand his MKX because of MFT, after owning many Lincolns, I can see where it can be frustrating and maybe a reason to switch brands.

Oh, the ratings, 1-6, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Caddy/Hyundai tied, MFT.

Thanks for summarizing the info from Automobile Magazine as well as providing your own experiences regarding MyFordTouch.

Edited by aneekr

And maybe somebody can help me here. I obviously try to stay off this forum. But Ford has some problems in my mind. Quality control, engineering, customer support? All of the above?

Why unleash MFT onto the public without it being right or at least closer to right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this kind of blunder?

Why unleash the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F-150 without it being right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this?

Why unleash the new trannys that don't work to customer satisfaction to an extent across the board? Without a lot of constant updates that maybe work? Can any manufacturer afford this? Especially in the trucks.

Hard to understand and still trying to figure it out.

Losing faith here. Need help and probably need to buy a new truck soon. Long-time Ford buyer here and like I said - losing faith in the Ford process in general.

And maybe somebody can help me here. I obviously try to stay off this forum. But Ford has some problems in my mind. Quality control, engineering, customer support? All of the above?

Why unleash MFT onto the public without it being right or at least closer to right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this kind of blunder?

Why unleash the 3.5 Ecoboost in the F-150 without it being right out of the box. Can any manufacturer afford this?

Why unleash the new trannys that don't work to customer satisfaction to an extent across the board? Without a lot of constant updates that maybe work? Can any manufacturer afford this? Especially in the trucks.

Hard to understand and still trying to figure it out.

Losing faith here. Need help and probably need to buy a new truck soon. Long-time Ford buyer here and like I said - losing faith in the Ford process in general.

If you are looking for a truck: F-150 with 6 Auto and 5.0L V8 or even the 3.7L V6. My Ford with Sync. All are pretty solid and work as advertised.

Edited by Hugh
  • Like 1

Yet, people are buying the Ecoboost F150's like they are crack.

Odd.

About the only real issue with the EB F150 is the condensation issue. It has not been widespread, and most only have very minor issues with it. Spend more time on the multitude of F150 forums to read about it all.

Cheri, you have been "losing faith" for a long time. As a matter of fact, from your posting history, I doubt you ever had faith. Have there been teething issues, yes. Has Ford released more new models than at pretty much any time in their past. Yes. The more new models you have out, and new features you have out, the more probability for problems. Noone is immune.

So, my solution for you, is to buy a vehicle that has not been updated in a very long time, with engines that have been around for a very long time. Avoid all new features and technologies also. You should then have a lesser chance of having issues with your vehicle.

Remember that the difference between best quality, and worst quality, is basically splitting hairs these days. .74 problems vs 1.8. Pretty much every vehicle made today is relatively reliable. Annoyances.................. yep, they are out there. Reliability problems?? Not even close.

• Like 2

Ford fraked up MyFord Touch at launch, no question there and I was the first to complain around here (early adopter). But I love it now that they've done some significant work to it. It's not confusing once you've spent time with it, but initially it certainly is and that is a legitimate problem. I don't understand the persistent complaints following the updates however, I've had three cars with MFT now and I would never give it up for anything less. I'm glad to see Ford committed, no matter what.

Each month Ford sells around 35,000 F150s and of those, around 16,000 are EB 3.5.

If there was a serious problem with the EB V6 or MFT or Transmissions, you can bet F 150 sales would have nose dived by now...

But guess what?

Those F150 sales keep rolling in......

Yet, people are buying the Ecoboost F150's like they are crack.

Odd.

About the only real issue with the EB F150 is the condensation issue. It has not been widespread, and most only have very minor issues with it. Spend more time on the multitude of F150 forums to read about it all.

Cheri, you have been "losing faith" for a long time. As a matter of fact, from your posting history, I doubt you ever had faith. Have there been teething issues, yes. Has Ford released more new models than at pretty much any time in their past. Yes. The more new models you have out, and new features you have out, the more probability for problems. Noone is immune.

So, my solution for you, is to buy a vehicle that has not been updated in a very long time, with engines that have been around for a very long time. Avoid all new features and technologies also. You should then have a lesser chance of having issues with your vehicle.

Remember that the difference between best quality, and worst quality, is basically splitting hairs these days. .74 problems vs 1.8. Pretty much every vehicle made today is relatively reliable. Annoyances.................. yep, they are out there. Reliability problems?? Not even close.

Good advice. Stay away from MFT as SE models come with lots of cool options, and stay with tried and true engines that have not had recalls in long time. And if you must buy a Focus, stay away from 2012 model with powershift and stick with 2013 SE with a couple nice options like sport appearance package or new Fusion SE with either 2.5 I4 or perhaps 2.0 EB that has been pretty much problem free and no MFT. In fact, as Ford introduces new MFT upgrades on regular basis, I even wonder if some lazy Ford dealers even bother do upgrade on their hundreds of vehicles in stock and instead force new buyer to bring back vehicle to have it done after purchase if he or she is anal about such things. They probably bet average customer wouldn't know or care, so why bother spending hour with each vehicle in stock with MFT to do download it and then check if everything is running right. So moral here is buy tried and true technology and stay out of dealerships as much as possible since they can be a real nuisance/hassle, especially if you have busy/demanding job. It's enough to maintain a vehicle properly without dealing with one recall after another or constant updates to a confusing system.

• Like 1

Ford fraked up MyFord Touch at launch, no question there and I was the first to complain around here (early adopter). But I love it now that they've done some significant work to it. It's not confusing once you've spent time with it, but initially it certainly is and that is a legitimate problem. I don't understand the persistent complaints following the updates however, I've had three cars with MFT now and I would never give it up for anything less. I'm glad to see Ford committed, no matter what.

Believe it or not, I have no problem with MFT, only that it should be OPTIONAL on every model line, even with Titanium and Lincoln. The average age of Lincoln buyer is over 60 and I doubt if many really want or need it, and I bet many stay away from Lincoln because it is standard. Cadillac is going to run into the sme problems and will lose some sales also. I know I'm over 60 and wouldn't touch MFT with 10 foot pole, but also see that some like it and will buy a Ford or Lincoln because it is offered. Fine, as an option. Ford made big mistake making it standard on some model iines and is paying dearly for it. But they are changing as 2013 Fusion only has it standard on one model line which was very smart. I look for that to be norm for Ford now on all their vehicles.

If you are looking for a truck: F-150 with 6 Auto and 5.0L V8 or even the 3.7L V6. My Ford with Sync. All are pretty solid and work as advertised.

Good advice. Stay away from MFT as SE models come with lots of cool options, and stay with tried and true engines that have not had recalls in long time. And if you must buy a Focus, stay away from 2012 model with powershift and stick with 2013 SE with a couple nice options like sport appearance package or new Fusion SE with either 2.5 I4 or perhaps 2.0 EB that has been pretty much problem free and no MFT.

Good summary Hugh, Extreme4x4, and FordBuyer. To add to the discussion regarding cheri/ck's concerns, Ford products with 'average' predicted reliability in Consumer Reports' latest survey are:

• Taurus, excluding SHO
  • MKS
  • F-150 (all powertrains, though the 3.7L and 5.0L versions had fewer problems than those with Ecoboost)
  • Mustang V6
  • Expedition
  • Navigator

All other new Fords for which CR has enough data to predict reliability are worse than average. None are better than average.

cheri/ck - your concerns are well founded (and I share them), but you should be ok considering a 2013 F-150 for your new truck purchase. As Hugh recommended, ideal configurations are 3.7L or 5.0L versions without MFT.

Edited by aneekr

Ford made big mistake making it standard on some model iines and is paying dearly for it.

Any lost or irritated customers have been more than made up for in new happy customers. It would be better if they had not had problems but the net result here is definitely positive and trending upwards.

Take your Eeyoring to another thread.

Any lost or irritated customers have been more than made up for in new happy customers. It would be better if they had not had problems but the net result here is definitely positive and trending upwards.

Take your Eeyoring to another thread.

The BOF Hit Men continue in denial. I've literally looked at over hundred 2013 Fusions in dealer stock and almost all are SE and devoid of MFT except for precious few. So Ford knows what's up even if you don't. Now new thread says Ford is simplifying MFT on new Fiesta. What a shock! Some of you BOF Mafia need a rock to drop on your head to wise up to reality. Living in Ford country, I know a score of people with MFT and none are happy with it. NONE. Still have issues even after updates. And again, with that being said, I still see the reason behind MFT and know that some buy a Ford because of it, but AGAIN make it option only for those who want it. Don't force it down customers throat who don't want the hassle of constant updates and glitches.

I've literally looked at over hundred 2013 Fusions in dealer stock and almost all are SE and devoid of MFT except for precious few.

That's the case among Twin Cities area Ford dealerships as well, according to the sales manager of the one where I bought my 2010 Fusion. The highest volume variant for 2013 Fusions in this region is the 2.5L SE model, package 203A. I didn't ask about the proportion of incoming units equipped with package 14K (SE MyFordTouch Technology Package); the mix among 2013 Fusion SE currently available for sale at that dealership was about 1/3 with package 14K, 2/3 without.

IMO, Ford was very wise to make SYNC - but not MyFordTouch - standard on all U.S. market 2013 Fusions.

Edited by aneekr

Goes contrary to what their stated product mix is.

Now stop trolling.

No it doesn't. Most 2013 Fusions will be S and SE with only about 10-20% being Titaniums. And I would bet most S and SE will be without MFT as I see on dealer lots. And it's been said SEL will be gone on 2014 Escape and you see less MFT in stock with that vehicle also next year. Plunging reliability ratings and no Ford's on CR recommended list with it has caused Ford to change things whether you like it or not. Ford used to have 7 or more models on CR RL just a couple years ago. That is a mighty big hit to take. So SE with lots of available options and choice of MFT or not with only Titanium having it as standard item is what the doctor ordered. Cadillac would be smart to make CUE an option only.

And I would bet most S and SE will be without MFT as I see on dealer lots.

You making a bet isn't the truth...until you can break out sale precentages per model, only thing your providing is anecdotal evidence....Yes SE models will be the volume sellers, but MFT is an option them, so there is no hard and fast way to break out the #...

No it doesn't. Most 2013 Fusions will be S and SE with only about 10-20% being Titaniums. And I would bet most S and SE will be without MFT as I see on dealer lots. And it's been said SEL will be gone on 2014 Escape and you see less MFT in stock with that vehicle also next year. Plunging reliability ratings and no Ford's on CR recommended list with it has caused Ford to change things whether you like it or not. Ford used to have 7 or more models on CR RL just a couple years ago. That is a mighty big hit to take. So SE with lots of available options and choice of MFT or not with only Titanium having it as standard item is what the doctor ordered. Cadillac would be smart to make CUE an option only.

OKAY.

Any lost or irritated customers have been more than made up for in new happy customers.  It would be better if they had not had problems but the net result here is definitely positive and trending upwards.

MFT/MLT is here to stay. But wait for the return of the dials/buttons to MFT in MY 2014 ('14 Edge will be the 1st?).

Note to FordBuyer and Aneekr:

If a dealer gets 20 vehicles - 10 with MFT and 10 without - and they sell 10 with MFT and 2 without MFT, what's left on the lot? 8 vehicles without MFT.

Lack of inventory tells me that those vehicles with MFT are selling much faster than those without. And those statistics are upheld by Dean and by Ford's own data.

MFT/MLT is here to stay. But wait for the return of the dials/buttons to MFT in MY 2014 ('14 Edge will be the 1st?).

Agreed. People need only see the way Ford has done MFT on the 2013 Super Duty and even more so the 2013 F-150 to see that Ford is admitting that some change is necessary. It (thankfully) won't look like an Acura center stack, but the buttons for the most oft-used stuff are returning, even in the cars, as they get refreshed.

Agreed. People need only see the way Ford has done MFT on the 2013 Super Duty and even more so the 2013 F-150 to see that Ford is admitting that some change is necessary. It (thankfully) won't look like an Acura center stack, but the buttons for the most oft-used stuff are returning, even in the cars, as they get refreshed.

The thing that puzzled me was the '13 F-150 didn't have steering wheel mounted controls...you'd think that they would kept those?

• Like 1

The thing that puzzled me was the '13 F-150 didn't have steering wheel mounted controls...you'd think that they would kept those?

Yea... That kinda puzzled me as well.(?) You'd figure that would've been chalked-up as a "good thing" in the quest to make MFT more user-friendly. :shrug: