2008 Focus

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a loser. Answer me this. How does Mazda sell thier 3 for 16,000CND, which is what a focus goes for here before "incentives" and the 3 has 4 wheel disc's. Ford has dropped the read sway bars on the ZX3's removed the tach on ZX3's. Ford should have drop the power steering, not messing around with the suspension. When will Ford learn and cut the rear seat to compliment the 60/40 back?

That article says a Euro Focus would cost 25,000US, but you can't take start exchange with the Uk, their cost of living is twice what it is here, which would put the C1 Focus about the same price as the C170.

Alot of people already own a Focus, Ford needs something smaller or get better mileage with the Focus. Offer the 1.6 or duratorqs, just because you drop the final drive to get you 3mpg better does not help your city ford need a car that will get 40mpg (6 liters/100k) or better city and close to 50 highway (4-5liters/100k), I mean US gallons not UK. Making a cheaper Focus will not convince me to buy another focus when the one I have is better.

DRyanC

Edited by DRyanC

What a loser. Answer me this. How does Mazda sell thier 3 for 16,000CND, which is what a focus goes for here before "incentives" and the 3 has 4 wheel disc's. Ford has dropped the read sway bars on the ZX3's removed the tach on ZX3's. Ford should have drop the power steering, not messing around with the suspension. When will Ford learn and cut the rear seat to compliment the 60/40 back?

That article says a Euro Focus would cost 25,000US, but you can't take start exchange with the Uk, their cost of living is twice what it is here, which would put the C1 Focus about the same price as the C170.

Alot of people already own a Focus, Ford needs something smaller or get better mileage with the Focus. Offer the 1.6 or duratorqs, just because you drop the final drive to get you 3mpg better does not help your city ford need a car that will get 40mpg (6 liters/100k) or better city and close to 50 highway (4-5liters/100k), I mean US gallons not UK. Making a cheaper Focus will not convince me to buy another focus when the one I have is better.

DRyanC

DRyanC.... you are taking this way to personally... Ford NA was not part of the C1 development, and they d not like the product - or it would be expensvie for them.. that happens when you let other people develop something, and then you realize, you would like to use it ...

MAzda's C1 is different from Ford's C1, and Volvo's C1 ... and regardles.. the platform is about to be replaced by C2 platform.. C2 will be introduced on the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show, and models will start appearing 18 months afterwards ... including the US bound Focus.

the 2008 is a significant reskin and a nw interior. Ford changed the suspension to C1 sourced one in 2006 model year - they are simply adding more bits here and there, to ccommonalize the parts.

C1 is better than C170, but C170 is still better than the Corolla, the Spectra or the Cobalt... let alone the Daewoo sourced Suzukis .... the C170 simply needs a good car riding on it - and the 2005 Focus was not it - the 2005 Focus was an excercise in decontending - and your examples dop mention some of the features removed.. the 2008 Focus goes back to being a good car on a great platform ...

Igor

the 2008 is a significant reskin and a nw interior. Ford changed the suspension to C1 sourced one in 2006 model year - they are simply adding more bits here and there, to ccommonalize the parts.

So it defintely is a re-skin? I didn't get that from the article (but assuming they are making a coupe, the potential for a reskin is there). If it is as significant as the article states, Ford can definitely get back on the map with the Focus.

So it defintely is a re-skin? I didn't get that from the article (but assuming they are making a coupe, the potential for a reskin is there). If it is as significant as the article states, Ford can definitely get back on the map with the Focus.

well - I myself never seen a concept, but even the article qotes an analyst who saw the new models and said that people are underestimating the redesign.

I was told by a forum member at Focus Fanatics repeated info about the new model, because his boss (a dealer) was repeatedly part of focus groups of the vehicle...

The skin seems to be all new, and look is also different - different character lines etc. The interior is supposed to be all enw as well ..

It is definitely more than the Nose job of 2005, and this time the changes are supposed to be UP - to a better car (well after the horrid 2005 restyle, things can only go up, can't they?)

I am not sure of the exact definition of reskin, but basically.. unlik many other Ford redesigns where "sheetmetal changes were not a high priority" this project basically solely focused on sheetmetal and interior design changes - since the tech is already in place.

Igor

well - I myself never seen a concept, but even the article qotes an analyst who saw the new models and said that people are underestimating the redesign.

I was told by a forum member at Focus Fanatics repeated info about the new model, because his boss (a dealer) was repeatedly part of focus groups of the vehicle...

The skin seems to be all new, and look is also different - different character lines etc. The interior is supposed to be all enw as well ..

It is definitely more than the Nose job of 2005, and this time the changes are supposed to be UP - to a better car (well after the horrid 2005 restyle, things can only go up, can't they?)

I am not sure of the exact definition of reskin, but basically.. unlik many other Ford redesigns where "sheetmetal changes were not a high priority" this project basically solely focused on sheetmetal and interior design changes - since the tech is already in place.

Igor

Sweet, thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing this one.

This article makes me extremely optimistic not only about the future of the Focus, but also that Ford management finally 'gets it'.

From some reports I've read, I was led to believe that Ford was just going to give up on the Focus, and replace it with an all-new small car with Mazda-sourced architecture.

However, it seems that is indeed not the case. I'm very happy that the 2008 Focus will get changes where it needs it the most, in exterior/interior styling. The fact that we're getting an all-new body-style (coupe) to accompany the current hatches, sedan, and wagon. Richard is right that the Focus is becoming a product lineup all its own, and UNMATCHED by any other small car lineup from ANY automaker, including Toyota.

I'm confident that Ford will have both regular and fuel-sipping versions of the Focus, but I'm really looking for SOMEONE to pick up the ball on bringing out a mainstream performance version of this car. Saleen and Roush gave it a shot, but it needs to be visible. Shelby American would be a good candidate for the job, to bring out a Focus that can really compete with the Cobalt SS Supercharged, Civic Si, and Volkswagen GTI. I know they can do it, but Ford needs to get a car like that into the magazine comparison tests to really put the car on the market's radar. Now THAT would be a bold move. A small car line from Ford that can compete with the Prius on fuel economy, and with the GTI in performance. The chassis and engineering is right there, but they have to pick up the ball with this one.

I'm also very happy that Ford North America is not only involved in the C2 Focus development, but especially because we're a central part of it. The idea of designing the car for our North American price points, and then building it up for overseas is an excellent one, and I applaud Ford for taking that route. With this redesign, I'm looking for Ford to expand upon the Focus range, where we can really make a version for everyone at a relatively low cost.

The current line of hatches, wagon, sedan, and upcoming coupe is a good starting point, but for 2010, we need to also have a strong line of trim levels to accompany our strong line of body-styles. We need a fuel-sipper, we need a fuel-sipper for the environmental weenies (either a diesel or the next-gen hybrid, or BOTH), a standard, well-equipped model, a stripper for fleets, as well as a sports model to compete with similar models from other brands.

From some reports I've read, I was led to believe that Ford was just going to give up on the Focus, and replace it with an all-new small car with Mazda-sourced architecture.

ports model to compete with similar models from other brands.

Thats kind of hard do to since the C1 (which the Mazda 3 is on) is a much modified C170 (current US Focus platform ;)

Might be getting confused with the B-car that Mazda will most likely providing a platform for.

Didn't the artiocle say it was just getting another nose-job? I have little faith it will be anything but.

And they really need to get that 3 spec 2.3 in all models, it's not 1995 anymore! Bold my ass..

this piece, along with th FJ shots of fully camoed Red sedan and my own information from FF make me believe that it is more than just a nosejob ...

The refreshed Focus is "a lot stronger than a lot of people expected," said Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific Inc. in Southfield, who has seen the new vehicle.

^^From the DetNews article

Igor

Ford will not get on the map with the focus until 2011 model year when we might see a completely new one, the only thing this reskin will do is stop the landslide of current focus sales and maybe add a little, it won't be selling 48k a month like the corolla until we canget an all new focus, so we still have 5 years to wait.

Ford can restyle a vehicle pretty well when they try...

1994 Mustang

1999 Mustang

Same greenhouse, but completely different sheet metal.

Ick, but the 1994-98 look so much better then the 99-04 models, except the Specials like the Cobra, Bullett and the Mach1. The GT was a poster boy for Rice with all the crap tacked on it

Ford will not get on the map with the focus until 2011 model year when we might see a completely new one, the only thing this reskin will do is stop the landslide of current focus sales and maybe add a little, it won't be selling 48k a month like the corolla until we canget an all new focus, so we still have 5 years to wait.

Huh?

How in the hell does Toyoda sell over a half million Corollas in the States a year? Maybe half of that

If it looks all new, then to most people, it is all new. Don't underestimate the efficacy of a major styling refresh with few underlying platform changes; it worked for Toyota.

How in the hell does Toyoda sell over a half million Corollas in the States a year? Maybe half of that

Toyota lumps the Matrix in with the Corolla sedan, and the sales have been around 40K units/month. Separately I would guess the sedan makes up 3/4 of that, so still a big number.

Ford has no real interest in selling that many Focuses a year.

Also, I see no reason why Ford will move the Focus from Wayne.

Auto News has reported that the Bs are going to be assembled at Cuatitlan, with no foundation whatsoever, other than a guess that it'd be cheap. Ford is planning on 1) adding a range of 'b' sized vehicles and 2) building a low-cost assembly plant. To insist that there is something other than a direct connection between those two known quantities is silly, IMO.

Ford needs a B-segment car now. 4 years is no good. If b-segments are getting 30-40 mpg city now in 4-5 years I would like to have 40-50 city, non hybrid. So 4 years is no good, they need them in 4 months.

DRyanC

That's just silly. Ford's got magic beans? Just plant them and out sprouts new B cars?

If the B segment isn't going away, then it certainly pays for Ford to get this right.

Name me one memorable B car. Name me one B car that lasted longer than 5-6 model years.

These things, when done wrong, have a tendency of failing.

Ford, if they simply Federalized the Fiesta would be doing something no smarter than the last time they Federalized the Fiesta. They'd get 2 years, maybe, of sales, maybe 3. It would be a disappointment, and with the Euro trading against the dollar as it presently is, it would also be a low-profit way of utilizing European capacity.

bring the KA or Fiesta from mexico. The festiva that they made for us was crap, what was it a hyundai? not even a 121 from mazda. Toyota brought the echo hatchback here for 1.5 years before the new model debuted and it sold great.

DRyanC

That's just silly. Ford's got magic beans? Just plant them and out sprouts new B cars?

If the B segment isn't going away, then it certainly pays for Ford to get this right.

Name me one memorable B car. Name me one B car that lasted longer than 5-6 model years.

These things, when done wrong, have a tendency of failing.

Ford, if they simply Federalized the Fiesta would be doing something no smarter than the last time they Federalized the Fiesta. They'd get 2 years, maybe, of sales, maybe 3. It would be a disappointment, and with the Euro trading against the dollar as it presently is, it would also be a low-profit way of utilizing European capacity.

Last i checked ford has been selling vehicles in america for over 100 years, they should have had something in the pipeline for this year, i mean gas prices started rocketing skyward 3-4 years ago and they don't even start until now to get some small cars, and in that time they decided to pretty much murder that focus's sales and reputation with cheap laziness.

Before Mark Fields ford was absolutelhy bound for bankruptcy and going out of business, no question about it. If they kept what they have been doing from the 90's to the 00's they would of been either out of business and bought out by 2015. The sad part is now they kind of have awaken and they may drop to fourth place in U.S. sales after toyota and honda before there products hit and it is tough to get buyers back because the saying is once you go japanese you don't go back. :cry: