Ford October 2012 Sales Flat, Retail up 2%

• Ford October small car sales total 25,493 vehicles – the company’s strongest October small car sales in 11 years – with a 54 percent increase year over year
  • Escape compact utility sales increased 4 percent for the month; 19,832 Escape sales mark best October sales since 2001
  • In its first full month on sale, C-MAX sells 3,182 vehicles
  • F-Series posts its best October sales since 2004, providing its 15th consecutive year-over-year monthly sales increase; sales totaled 56,497 pickups – an 8 percent increase
  • U.S. sales at the Ford Motor Company total 168,456 vehicles in October, unchanged from a year ago; retail sales up 2 percent compared to last year

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 1, 2012 – Ford total U.S. sales grew across the portfolio in October, with cars up 2 percent, utilities up 2 percent, F-Series pickups up 8 percent and Econoline and Transit Connect sales up 19 and 22 percent, respectively.

“Our commitment to deliver a fuel-efficient lineup of cars, utilities and trucks is winning over customers and helping grow our retail sales,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “Our fuel-efficient and capable full-size pickups delivered our strongest October sales results since 2004 – an F-Series record year – and we surpassed our own expectations for the first full month of C-MAX Hybrid sales.”

Focus, all-new C-MAX Hybrid and Fiesta sales totaled 25,493 vehicles in October, Ford’s best October small car sales month since 2001 and a 54 percent increase year over year.

October Escape sales increased 4 percent, with 19,832 vehicles sold. Escape is on-pace for another record sales year in 2012, aiming to surpass 2011 record sales of 254,293 vehicles.

America’s best-selling vehicle, Ford F-Series, sold a total of 56,497 vehicles during the month of October. This not only represents an 8 percent increase over last year but also the 15th straight month of sales increases for F-Series.

Ford sold 168,456 total vehicles in October, unchanged from a year ago. Retail sales were up 2 percent compared to last year.

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=37284

http://media.ford.co.../Oct12sales.pdf

Edited by robertlane

In comparison:

"With new designs like the Chevrolet Spark, Buick Verano and Cadillac ATS, and a growing reputation for quality and good resale value, we are becoming an even more formidable competitor in every segment - not just traditional GM strongholds like trucks," Kurt McNeil, vice president of GM's U.S. sales operations, said in a statement.

All four of GM's brands posted sales increases in October from the same month a year ago. Buick and Cadillac brand sales jumped 14.5 percent, while GMC sales rose 6.2 percent and Chevrolet sales inched up 2.7 percent.

The Detroit automaker said passenger car sales jumped 15 percent in October, while crossover sales rose 3 percent and sales of full-size pickups jumped 8 percent.

Sales of mini, small and compact cars soared 72 percent vs. the same month a year ago, with sales of the Chevrolet Spark and Sonic and a 34 percent jump in Cruze sales. The Chevy Volt also sold a record 2,961 units.

If not for Ranger comparisons and Fusion sales being down 30% because of lack of inventory, looks like Ford could have had a sales month as good as GM. Lincoln sales though seem to be worsening as new MKZ can't come soon enough.

If you remove Crown Vic and Ranger and add back in the lost Fusion sales due to supply it would have been a 8% - 10% increase in overall sales. That's not bad.

Flex, Taurus and Expedition were down though. I wonder if the new Fusion will hurt Taurus sales. I can't see much reason to buy a Taurus other than the SHO compared to the Fusion right now.

Does anybody know what the inventory level are on the Escape, my dealerships are bursting with them. I picked up a 2013 Escape and they could get me any model I wanted, no need to order. I haven't had that experience with a Ford in years. I figure the Escape hoard was there to make up for the Fusion inventory.

And Lincoln is going to be hurting since there is a two-month lag time on the 2013 MKZ.

Edited by BORG

If you remove Crown Vic and Ranger and add back in the lost Fusion sales due to supply it would have been a 8% - 10% increase in overall sales. That's not bad.

Flex, Taurus and Expedition were down though. I wonder if the new Fusion will hurt Taurus sales. I can't see much reason to buy a Taurus other than the SHO compared to the Fusion right now.

How about the smooth, powerful V6, massive trunk with big opening. The only Ford branded sedan left with V6 power.

Does anybody know what the inventory level are on the Escape, my dealerships are bursting with them. I picked up a 2013 Escape and they cold get me any model I wanted, no need to order. I haven't had that experience with a Ford in years.

I would say that with three shifts producing them, and going into lower rate sales months, especially January, dealer lots do seem to be bursting with them. LAP is making close to 30,000 Escapes/month and selling average is in low 20's. Good for consumer wanting one and doesn't want to wait and put up with Ford's ordering system on no one seeming to know where it is until about 12 weeks after ordering it.

I would say that with three shifts producing them, and going into lower rate sales months, especially January, dealer lots do seem to be bursting with them. LAP is making close to 30,000 Escapes/month and selling average is in low 20's. Good for consumer wanting one and doesn't want to wait and put up with Ford's ordering system on no one seeming to know where it is until about 12 weeks after ordering it.

Remember that plant serves more than just the US.

How about the smooth, powerful V6, massive trunk with big opening. The only Ford branded sedan left with V6 power.

How about the more powerful Fusion 2.0L ecoboost with more torque and much better fuel economy?

Taurus 3.5L 288 hp/ 254 lb/ft 17/25

Fusion 2.0L EB 240 hp/ 270 lb/ft 22/33

Like I said, unless you want the SHO or just prefer the Taurus styling I think the Fusion wins out. Unless you just have to have a V6 regardless of performance.

I'm esctatic that the C-Max is finding its audience this early in its launch cycle. Before it went on sale I guessed that Ford would be happy with 20-30,000 a year in the US. But now...it wouldn't surprise me to see 50,000 in the US alone. I'd also be interested to see what its year-end sales will be in Canada.

How about the more powerful Fusion 2.0L ecoboost with more torque and much better fuel economy?

Like I said, unless you want the SHO or just prefer the Taurus styling I think the Fusion wins out. Unless you just have to have a V6 regardless of performance.

I'm still waiting to see my second 2013 Fusion on the street after seeing my first one about two weeks ago in Fusion country. Day after day not one in sight. Hardly one new Fusion moves off of Blackwell/Bill Brown lot that has decent number in inventory even as both dealers advertise special lease deals with 0 down and $1300 down to get rid of some of them. I believe the new Fusion will eventually be a decent seller, but some do want a full sized sedan with V6 power as opposed to a four banger no matter how many turbos it has. Maybe not many, but enough to keep the Taurus around and for Ford to introduce a new one in a couple years, and hopefully with V6 option for those who still want bigger engine. In the meantime, hopefully November will be first month for decent Fusion sales numbers after two down months in row. It's not like the new Malibu, Altima, Accord, and Camry don't offer competition for sales.

I'm still waiting to see my second 2013 Fusion on the street after seeing my first one about two weeks ago in Fusion country. Day after day not one in sight. Hardly one new Fusion moves off of Blackwell/Bill Brown lot that has decent number in inventory even as both dealers advertise special lease deals with 0 down and $1300 down to get rid of some of them. I believe the new Fusion will eventually be a decent seller, but some do want a full sized sedan with V6 power as opposed to a four banger no matter how many turbos it has. Maybe not many, but enough to keep the Taurus around and for Ford to introduce a new one in a couple years, and hopefully with V6 option for those who still want bigger engine. In the meantime, hopefully November will be first month for decent Fusion sales numbers after two down months in row.

I was only referring to the current Taurus, not a new Taurus. Given that the new Fusion offers similar interior space and better fuel economy I think the current Taurus' appeal will be limited until the new one arrives. I wasn't implying that a new Taurus wasn't needed.

It's not like the new Malibu, Altima, Accord, and Camry don't offer competition for sales.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

I'm still waiting to see my second 2013 Fusion on the street after seeing my first one about two weeks ago in Fusion country. Day after day not one in sight. Hardly one new Fusion moves off of Blackwell/Bill Brown lot that has decent number in inventory even as both dealers advertise special lease deals with 0 down and $1300 down to get rid of some of them.

On the up side of that, Ford is effectively moving all of its remaining 2012 Fusion stock out the door, 12,690 in run down-ramp up.

W have sen this before with new Fusion and Escape, attractive lasing and incentives on new Escape with lots of inventory and

full MSRPs on 2013 Fusion will take pressure off delivering bulk quantities heading into slower months, allowing inventory build up.

It's not like the success of Chevrolet or Toyota is going to severely impact Ford sales, asking higher transaction prices still confounds

some critics but effectively means more profit with fewer sales, something that helps Ford better ROIs while lifting Ford brand appeal.

The 2013 Escape is now selling at slightly higher numbers compared to the 2012 last October, Explorer up (replacing) Taurus down..

F Truck 56,497, up 7.6%......that is an important foot note.

Edited by jpd80

I guess all of the Fusion and Escape inventory is in Michigan.

Local dealer has 1 Escape, and 1 Fusion is on its way.................... supposedly.

However, I am starting to see new Escapes everywhere. I guess the Valley is getting decent inventory. Fusion................. Nope. Biggest dealers in the state may have 10-15. That is nothing, as they can sell that in 1 weekend.

Does anybody know what the inventory level are on the Escape, my dealerships are bursting with them. I picked up a 2013 Escape and they could get me any model I wanted, no need to order. I haven't had that experience with a Ford in years. I figure the Escape hoard was there to make up for the Fusion inventory.

And Lincoln is going to be hurting since there is a two-month lag time on the 2013 MKZ.

Which also means that all of those 2012 MKZ s will be sold before the 2013 arrives.

I suspect that dealer inventory of Escapes in the East and North is much higher than West coast and Southern states,

and will be used to build sales with some incentives while 2013 Fusion inventory builds and 2012 models sell out.

It's an interesting dance that Ford does exchanging inventory but it seems preferable to use down outgoing inventory before replenishing with 2013 stock,

perhaps Ford has learned what is ideal for it's change over means short term pain to dealerships with slightly off beat product supplies to compensate...

Edited by jpd80

Camaro 5,122 (6,119) (-16.3)

Mustang 5,328 (4,898( +8.8)

Police Interceptor Utility 682

Police Interceptor Sedan 893

Caprice 343

Volt 2,961

Focus 18,320 (12,386) (47.9)

Cruze 19,121 (14,295) (33.8)

Contrary to the opinion of some, I don't believe that ATS will be the slam dunk run away sales success GM is hoping for,

it is painfully obvious that Cadillac dealers are asking high prices for well appointed inventory which is limiting sales for now....

Edited by jpd80

Camaro 5,122 (6,119) (-16.3)

Mustang 5,328 (4,898( +8.8)

Police Interceptor Utility 682

Police Interceptor Sedan 893

Caprice 343

Volt 2,961

Focus 18,320 (12,386) (47.9)

Cruze 19,121 (14,295) (33.8)

Contrary to the opinion of some, I don't believe that ATS will be the slam dunk run away sales success GM is hoping for,

it is painfully obvious that Cadillac dealers are asking high prices for well appointed inventory which is limiting sales for now....

So what were ATS sales in October as GM bragged that Cadillac sales were up double digits and ATS sales were good. Meanwhille, Lincoln sales barely got by 5.000 for month, probably a new low. Hines Park Lincoln by me still has large inventory of 2012 MKZ and massive inventory of MKS and MKX. They are staying in business by taking orders for new Fords at Lincoln dealeship and driving the vehicle to customers homes from their Ford dealerhip 25 miles away.

Is there a potential for future increase in Focus production in NA? Focus + C-Max was 21,502 units last month, and inventory seems to be tight on C-Max still. Could it be worth adding Focus at Cuautitlan Izcalli instead of opening a new plant just for Focus? Importing from Germany? Russia? Flat Rock along with Fusion and Mustang? OHAP?

So what were ATS sales in October as GM bragged that Cadillac sales were up double digits and ATS sales were good. Meanwhille, Lincoln sales barely got by 5.000 for month, probably a new low. Hines Park Lincoln by me still has large inventory of 2012 MKZ and massive inventory of MKS and MKX. They are staying in business by taking orders for new Fords at Lincoln dealeship and driving the vehicle to customers homes from their Ford dealerhip 25 miles away.

ATS 1,266

CTS 2,344 3,918 -40.2%

It seems to me that the ATS is stealing CTS sales.

The Escalade EXT (+6.7%) and SRX (+10.6%) were the only Cadillacs to have positive sales.

Luxury sales for October, 2012:

BMW 26,000

MB 24,000

Lexus 20,000

Second Tier:

Ford Motor Co. (F) sold 5,154 Lincolns in October, a 15 percent decrease from a year earlier, according to a statement yesterday from the Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker.

General Motors Co. (GM)’s Cadillac rose 14 percent to 13,505 vehicles in October, helped by an 11 percent gain in sales of the SRX crossover SUV and the new ATS compact sedan, the Detroit-based automaker said in a statement.

Sales of Tokyo-based Honda Motor Co. (7267)’s Acura brand rose 9.4 percent to 12,163 last month, the company said in a statement.

Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti sold 8,757 vehicles last month, a 28 percent gain from a year earlier, the Yokohama, Japan-based company said in a statement yesterday.

U.S. sales of Volkswagen AG (VOW)’s Audi brand rose 15 percent last month to 11,708, the company said in a statement.

Porsche AG, the Stuttgart-based automaker that is now part of VW, sold 3,211 vehicles in the U.S. last month, a 41 percent increase, the company said in a statement.

Looks like Cadillac did the best of the second tier luxury makers with Lincoln falling further behind. Acura had a surprising month just behind Cadillac. Must be that station wagon Acura is doing. Never thought Porsche would start to creep up on Lincoln sales.

Or want to pick up bunch of 8' 2 x 4's! SHO performance and you don't need a roof rack!

Luxury sales for October, 2012:

BMW 26,000

MB 24,000

Lexus 20,000

Second Tier:

Ford Motor Co. (F) sold 5,154 Lincolns in October, a 15 percent decrease from a year earlier, according to a statement yesterday from the Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker.

General Motors Co. (GM)’s Cadillac rose 14 percent to 13,505 vehicles in October, helped by an 11 percent gain in sales of the SRX crossover SUV and the new ATS compact sedan, the Detroit-based automaker said in a statement.

Sales of Tokyo-based Honda Motor Co. (7267)’s Acura brand rose 9.4 percent to 12,163 last month, the company said in a statement.

Nissan Motor Co.’s Infiniti sold 8,757 vehicles last month, a 28 percent gain from a year earlier, the Yokohama, Japan-based company said in a statement yesterday.

U.S. sales of Volkswagen AG (VOW)’s Audi brand rose 15 percent last month to 11,708, the company said in a statement.

Porsche AG, the Stuttgart-based automaker that is now part of VW, sold 3,211 vehicles in the U.S. last month, a 41 percent increase, the company said in a statement.

Looks like Cadillac did the best of the second tier luxury makers with Lincoln falling further behind. Acura had a surprising month just behind Cadillac. Must be that station wagon Acura is doing. Never thought Porsche would start to creep up on Lincoln sales.

Explain why CTS dropped 40% and how that's a good thing for Cadillac.

CTS is in its last year and is in the midst of it being repositioned to the spot formerly reserved for the STS. The ATS will take on the 3, C, A4, IS, G, etc. CTS against the 5, E, A6, GS, M, etc. The XTS serves as a more traditional american luxury product and more or less replaces the DTS.