MFT/NAV Bugs ...and

PajamaGuy

Got my Escape this morning. I may apply to be an Escape salesman - between you guys and reading everything I could find in the last 9 weeks, I know more than anyone at the dealership.

So far I'm fairly pleased. That sucker just JUMPS off the line! Ride is tight, steering excellent!

..but

1. Nav guidance is frozen on the little screen when the Intelligent 4WD screen is up. On all other screens the guidance updates along with the main system.

2. Somebody posted pics (I'm too tired to search) of the seat belt slide adjustment on the inside B pillar - one of mine is at the top, and one is down like the posted pics - I'll try adjusting them tomorrow.

3. I don't think the Speed Compensated Sound is working. If it is, it sucks (compared to my ex-Fusion)

4. How do you edit the address book?

5. Text messaging is way cool!

6. Husky Weatherbeaters fit like a glove!

7. I LIKE the whole cruise cotrol system!

8. Whoever designed the center console should be taken out and shot. Without a blindfold!

9. The auto headlights should come on a little bit sooner.

10. I pushed a tad too hard on the button to open the moonroof - the whole control panel went up.

...yeah, I love it so far...

Doesn't appear to have an "Address Book", just "Favorites" ? -

Cannot access B pillar Keyless Entry Keypad "Personal Entry" codes (page 60 of manual) from MFT

Cannot program memory 1 or 2 into Personal Entry code (6th digit - step #4 - page 61)

ref #2 above - Both seatbelt height adjusters on the b pillars DO go all the way to the top. Don't squeeze, just shove it up.

Edited by PajamaGuy

..but

1. Nav guidance is frozen on the little screen when the Intelligent 4WD screen is up. On all other screens the guidance updates along with the main system.

5. Text messaging is way

8. Whoever designed the center console should be taken out and shot. Without a blindfold!

1. Yes, mine does the same thing! At least I know it's not just mine.

5. I loved it to with my old phone! Doesn't work with my IPhone. (I miss it!!)

8. I'm with you on that! Terrible! Combined with no center tray it makes it worst....

Got my Escape this morning. I may apply to be an Escape salesman - between you guys and reading everything I could find in the last 9 weeks, I know more than anyone at the dealership.

So far I'm fairly pleased. That sucker just JUMPS off the line! Ride is tight, steering excellent!

..but

2. Somebody posted pics (I'm too tired to search) of the seat belt slide adjustment on the inside B pillar - one of mine is at the top, and one is down like the posted pics - I'll try adjusting them tomorrow.

3. I don't think the Speed Compensated Sound is working. If it is, it sucks (compared to my ex-Fusion)

4. How do you edit the address book?

5. Text messaging is way cool!

6. Husky Weatherbeaters fit like a glove!

7. I LIKE the whole cruise cotrol system!

9. The auto headlights should come on a little bit sooner.

10. I pushed a tad too hard on the button to open the moonroof - the whole control panel went up.

...yeah, I love it so far...

What phone are you using?

The MyFord Touch/NAV needs some serious work. Its very unresponsive, 1/2 the time I press something and it doesn't respond Using the Voice Feature it doesn't understand what I'm saying 1/2 the time. Even my old system on my 2010 Fusion was better.

I totally agree on the center console, there is no place to put change or small items for quick easy access.

Used the cruise control for the first time the other day and I was pretty impressed with it.

Edited by howie411

Dude, there are no "experts" unless and until they have experience with actually using the exact equipment the question/issue involves. I know the S3:

1. is NOT supposed to work

2. the S3 is not listed as a device that is proven compatible with SYNC

- there is a big difference in those statements.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III - It's NOT listed as compatible for Text Messaging. However, I have sent and received SMS text messages from the system in my Escape. Yesterday, I recieved one while driving - at my voice request, Dora (my computer's name - short for Adorable - anyone know where that's from???) read the message out loud.

I have yet to pair/try my wife's S2 Glide.

TNSTAAFL. :reading:

When I say expert, I mean the person at the dealership who knows the most about the system but he does have an S3 and said he has not been able to get it to work.

The dealership actually has a Sync class / support group every other saturday.

My motorla admiral is supposed to be text messaging compatible and i've yet to figure out how to make it recieve txt's. Everything else seems to work: bluetooth audio, phone calls (phonebook transfered sucessfully), and GPS for sync services.

Edited by davidg716

My Escape's MyFord Touch unit broke completely at 1,155 miles. It was working very well but then failed. It is in the service department and they've ordered some component which I will report on when I get the Escape back.

I called the service department and told them what it was doing and asked if there was anything I could try to solve the problem. The guy told me to perform a power off reset by disconnecting a battery cable for a minute. BTW, the plastic shroud over the battery comes off easily: Just grab with both hands one on each side of the cover and using your left hand spread the cover to the left and then lift the cover up and out. The battery cable comes off with a small metric wrench easier than any battery cable I've ever taken off. I ate dinner and put it back together with the same blank screen and no voice response. The dealer said the diagnosis of the problem involved disassembling the dash to get to a buried component. I'm glad the Escape is beyond view.

For those trying to get the messaging to work:

Looked everywhere, practically wore out Google, trying to find the secret for getting my Epic Touch to integrate text messaging with Ford Sync. Then recently, a hero posted the answer on Syncmyride.com. A few obscure settings are required that worked on my 2012 Mustang:

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and had the same trouble with it not receiving text messages. Here's how to fix it. You must do this in this order for it to work. You must have your phone paired with SYNC before doing this.

1, In SYNC, got to SYSTEM SETTINGS, ADVANCED, MAP PROFILE. Set MAP PROFILE to ON

2. In the PHONE SETTINGS Menu in SYNC, go to MESSAGE NOTIFICATION. Set to ON

3. Once these are done. Exit the system.

4. Now have your phone in your hand and get someone to send you a text message. I simply used the phone and requested my data usage, which in turn gets the carrier to send you a text message. Keep watching the phone for the text message to arrive. You will see a prompt on your phone that says something like, SYNC is requesting text messages through Bluetooth. Make sure Always Allow is checked and hit OK on your phone.

5. You can now send and receive text messages.

Now my car will read text messages that come in when I'm in the car, and it will send replies via the Sync system without me having to take the phone out of my pocket. It's really great.

Hope this works for you!

Found that on the Android forum. I do remember having my S3 in my hand and sending myself a text from my wife's S2. I did have to "wipe down" and allow SYNC into my phone's messaging the FIRST time.

Hope that helps!

Is Ford making new owners the beta testers?

Any complex software contains bugs. You patch them or you don't patch them. Ford is trying to patch them. Would you rather they didn't?

FWIW, I believe GM is readying or has already released their first update for the CUE system in Cadillacs. And there's a laundry list of patches that BMW has released over the past few years for iDrive.

Edited by NickF1011

akirby: not much they can do about it short of a totally new rewrite with new hardware.

Is it factual or opinion that they can't correct their issues through software only (this is a sincere question, not a challenge)?

If it's the former, to what extent will the hardware need to be replaced? After repeated service returns @ less than 2000 miles, the dealership told me that the Escape and Focus MFT are still a mess, but Ford is focused on fixing them now that they've got Explorer and Edge MFT under control (through software fixes). I don't know if that's accurate -- especially since the Consumer Report Reliability report downgraded Ford to second-to-last place this week, due primarily to those models and their MFT -- but was certainly hoping upcoming patches/upgrades alone would fix a majority of the ongoing issues, for ease and likliehood of Ford actually fixing them.

I have not seen Ford actually acknowledge any of the MFT/Sync issues publicly yet (though I may have missed that), because I'm assuming liability follows.

I haven't given up. This Escape is my first Ford, and while I feel at least a little cheated at this time, I'm truly hoping and giving them every opportunity to regain my trust and win a loyal (and vocal :D) customer.

akirby: not much they can do about it short of a totally new rewrite with new hardware.

Is it factual or opinion that they can't correct their issues through software only (this is a sincere question, not a challenge)?

If it's the former, to what extent will the hardware need to be replaced?

I have not seen Ford actually acknowledge any of the MFT/Sync issues publicly yet (though I may have missed that), because I'm assuming liability follows.

There appear to be a fair number of bad APIMs out there which are still not working right even after the latest software upgrade. By that I mean freezing, frequent rebooting - serious issues. Hard to say how many but I've heard of several on here and on the ford edge forum. So it's more than one or two. The problem is getting the dealer to recognize it's a bad APIM - they just write it off to the software too easily.

The current MFT code was so thoroughly screwed up by Bsquare that it appears to be impossible to fix - based on the current list of bugs still present after many months of effort to fix them. I think there were too many bugs to begin with and the code is to the point now where they can't fix one thing without breaking 2 others. At a certain point you have to throw it away and start over and that's where I think Ford is right now. The good news is the new version should be backwards compatible (at least for the current MFT features) so yes, it can be fixed with software.

I just don't have any faith that the current code can be fixed by either Bsquare or Microsoft in a timely fashion. Fortunately the majority of owners seem to have a stable system with only minor issues at this point.

have they published a specific list of every known bug in MFT? Of course not and they never will. But Ford has said repeatedly there were problems and they've tried to fix them. Some more successfully than others. But they certainly have admitted there were problems.

Any complex software contains bugs. You patch them or you don't patch them

Or you don't release the software before the bugs are out. This sounds like the Ford version of Windows ME. If I'm going to pay 36k for a new car, I want the main audio and navigation system to work. Otherwise put in a simple analog dial and I'll get a $175 gps that at least works.This isn't a new glitch. It's been ongoing since the first car rolled off the line with the system. This is the third model year and it still doesn't work. Sync has enough issues that a class action lawsuit is in the works.

• Like 1

I wasnt to annoyed in the few bugs on my Gen 1 System in my Ford Fusion, mainly because every item had a "hard button" I could use if need be. The fact the escape only has hard buttons for the climate control and then a few random buttons for everything else which basically forces me to use the touch screen(poor layout and controls) or the voice control (which also sucks) is my biggest beef.

• Like 1