Ford July Sales

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Yeah.. but it is interesting that they mentioned Retail/Fleet breakup of the CD3 lineup - that is 97% Retail WOW...

We will simply have to endure the summer press and wait for the fall ...

Igor

Edited by igor

^^Yeah.. but it is interesting that they mentioned Retail/Fleet breakup of the CD3 lineup - that is 97% Retail WOW...

We will simply have to endure the summer press and wait for the fall ...

Igor

Yeah it would be even better if the sales were better, hopefully the fresheneing can take car of the the car being the dullest vehicle around.

The Focus is in the crapper as far as sales go and it will only get worse as the dated model trudges on. The Fusion has leveled off at a pretty low number, may in the 14k range and now june and july in the 13k range is not great. The expedition and explorer have no hoep as ford doesn't care about exterior styling. The same will happen to the escape. The freestyle needs to get totally new sheet metal but it will just get the fusion grill when its side profile and rear are just as hideous as the front.

There is really no good news here, the edge should help a lot but it won't carry ford until 2010 when they have significant products launching.

The Fusion good news is that they are running at capacity - they cannot actually make more of them then that 14k or so units ...

Until Ford expanods HErmosill, or starts building Fusion also somewhere else, the 14k units a month will be pretty much the level ..

20k for US for all of CD3.. plus Canadian(Fusion and Zeph), and Latin American sales (Fusion).

Igor

Yeah it would be even better if the sales were better, hopefully the fresheneing can take car of the the car being the dullest vehicle around.

The Focus is in the crapper as far as sales go and it will only get worse as the dated model trudges on. The Fusion has leveled off at a pretty low number, may in the 14k range and now june and july in the 13k range is not great. The expedition and explorer have no hoep as ford doesn't care about exterior styling. The same will happen to the escape. The freestyle needs to get totally new sheet metal but it will just get the fusion grill when its side profile and rear are just as hideous as the front.

There is really no good news here, the edge should help a lot but it won't carry ford until 2010 when they have significant products launching.

The Fusion is the dullest car around? Or are you confusing the CD3 platform (Fusion/Milan/Zephyr) with the D3 platform (500/Montego/F'style)?

The new Expedition hasn't seen one retail sales day, so how it doesn't have hope beats the hell out of me. Both it and the Explorer are victims of $3/gallon gas more so than styling offences. The new Explorer might not be the most dynamic looking vehicle on the road, but blaming lackluster sales soely on design without taking into consideration that most Americans have cut back on fuel expenses (something the Explorer doesn't use very efficently) is a bit one-sided.

The Fusion is the dullest car around? Or are you confusing the CD3 platform (Fusion/Milan/Zephyr) with the D3 platform (500/Montego/F'style)?

The new Expedition hasn't seen one retail sales day, so how it doesn't have hope beats the hell out of me. Both it and the Explorer are victims of $3/gallon gas more so than styling offences. The new Explorer might not be the most dynamic looking vehicle on the road, but blaming lackluster sales soely on design without taking into consideration that most Americans have cut back on fuel expenses (something the Explorer doesn't use very efficently) is a bit one-sided.

Yeah i gotthem confused the 500 is the dullest vehicle around, the fusion looks great.

I don't believe sales would have fallen as much as they did if the explorer had a fresh style on the exterior and didn't carry over the sheetmetal from the previous generation and i think it will hurt the expedition as well.

Well at least this month will put an end to the Taurus lovers that always say..."but look the Taurus is outselling the Fusion!" The only bright spots I see right now is the CD3 models and possible the D3's AFTER they get a freshened appearance and a larger engine. The other bright area will be the Edge that is coming soon.

The Explorer looks to have started to level off with sales in the mid-teens. Still a model that sells 15,000+ a month for a profit should not be discontinued in my opinion. High fuel prices have just brought the Explorer to realistic sales levels. Remember years back, the SUV did not sell in mass quanity...back in the Bronco, Cherokee and Blazer days.

I disagree about the styling of the 2006 model causing sales to go down. I don't think it matters. Ford could have spent BILLIONS more into doing all new sheetmetal for the Explorer and I still think sales would be falling just about as fast. I think the re-design was smart in the face of a changing market. Improve your product to keep it competitive for the least amount of money you can. They took this route with the Explorer and Expedition and from what I see in terms of a changing market...I think it was a very smart idea. Save development money for new exciting products like the Edge that will do well in this changing market.

GM's passenger cars lines are down 10% over last year. Ford's are up. When fuel prices are at $3 a gallon..that is the kind of movement you want. Some will say, but Ford cannot survive without high profit vehicles...well now you see why the CD3's are made in Mexico..so they make a profit for the company. I'd love a US built CD3, but if that was the case...they would be loosing money and without high profit trucsk and SUV's selling well...it just won't work.

Here is the real question though...If Ford is so concerned about sales numbers...should they start the Ford Family Plan again? I mean...I think that would be a terrible move, but if they need to move automobiles so it looks good to the media, maybe they don't have another choice.

I wonder how many customers that are interested in buying a Ford Motor Company product is just holding off now...hoping things will get bad so they will start another "fire sale". Seriously I knew a LOT of people around my town that had new GM and Ford products last July...including myself and even my father and brother. The deals were almost too good to be true and I don't know if we will ever see a give-a-way like that again.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Except for the Fusion trio, Ford does not have a high volume car that people want. Focus doesn't count b/c it loses money on every sale. Ford needs to put something out there that people are willing to pay full price for so they can earn a profit.

Except for the Fusion trio, Ford does not have a high volume car that people want.

Well, there's also the Mustang, and in all fairness, the D3s have shown a fair amount of resiliency year over year (declines in overall volume YTD are pretty much explained by the Employee Pricing plan last year). If demand is not overpowering it is at least consistent.

So..........

We have three new platforms, and we have seven reasonably successful vehicles. All carrying high residual values, all carrying low incentives and low fleet volume. We also have Ford picking up retail market share, and overall passenger car market share.

It would seem that Ford is on the right track. Especially with new models coming throughout the next two years...

It does seem like Ford is doing the right thing by cutting fleet sales and increasing retail sales, but it still doesn't make the knife that Toyota is wielding any less dull. I probably should have seen it coming, but just the thought of Toyota surpassing Ford for July sales is depressing. Certain vehicles like the Fusion are doing great, but there is so much that Ford needs right now that it simply doesn't have.

Besides the Edge, MKX, MKZ, and D3 refresh, Ford really doesn't have a whole lot coming in the near term. F-Series sales continue to slip, and the improved '07 Silverado and Sierra are just around the corner. They need small cars...and fast.

With all the recent talk of continued losses and needing to re-evaluate their product plan AGAIN, it's really starting to make me skeptical whether the Way Fordward and Bold Moves are going to be effective. It's not very reassuring when Ford comes out with a press release a week ago saying they didn't anticipate the effect high gas prices would have on truck sales.

Money spent toward the Explorer refresh, as nice as it is, should have been used elsewhere. The Ranger and Focus shouldn't have been let to wither like has been. And there should be a B-car here right now to be battling the Yaris, Fit, and Aveo.

It's getting serious...Ford really needs to kick things into high gear.

Looks like Ford has plenty to worry about with F series sales. Down 45%!

Ford can't take that for many months.

That said all the big 2.5 were pummelled.

I think it's a little tough to compare July 2006 with July 2005 when Employee pricing was first introduced. Ford has never sold near that many F-Series since that month, nor will they. They've been around 70K/month this whole year.

Money spent toward the Explorer refresh, as nice as it is, should have been used elsewhere.

OMG!!!! You should meet some of the other people on this board.

Actually, Ford has little control over what inroads Toyota makes at the expense of other companies, and none of us really knows what's going on at Ford. A lot of employees at Ford are used to the nice, slow, measured pace into oblivion that characterized much of the 90s, and even the earlier part of this decade.

Ford now has instituted product development systems that have reduced the time to develop a new product to 22 months. These systems mean that supplier involvement (and suppliers are almost exclusively the source of leaks to the press) comes only a short time before the first prototypes are built. Also recall that Ford's increased investment in product development facilities means that fewer prototype tests need to be carried out on public roads.

Consider that the 2007 XK did not break cover until the 2005 NAIAS. It was on sale in Europe about a year later. We saw mules, but the production sheetmetal was completely hidden from the public until the ALC showed up on the NAIAS stand.

Things can change quickly at Ford, even at Ford NA.

The money spent on the Explorer and Expedition probably seemed like a better idea at the time of the investment. However, these are still high-volume vehicles that need to remain competitive in order to keep them alive. The investment is a neccessary evil. It's dangerous to suicide your products just because you can't get 'growth' out of them.

Looks like Ford has plenty to worry about with F series sales. Down 45%!

Ford can't take that for many months.

That said all the big 2.5 were pummelled.

Yeah because GM nor Chrysler posted double digit sales declines. If we need to worry it looks like Chrysler is the one to worry about, but hey maybe next month will be better in Auburn Hills because they extended Employee Pricing yet another month.

Fusion finally outsold the Taurus, time to put that comparison to sleep, along with the old car.

Stop comparing to the Fire Sale of last year, and when gas was only $2 in 2004.

SUV sales are down for two reasons, gas prices, and many people cannot afford to trade in [upside down loans] old ones to buy new!

Wow a rather poor showing all the way around.

Every thing is down unless it is new model for this year. Nothing has gained any ground.

The Only Ford division to gain any ground over this time last year is LR suprsingly. The most gas thirsty SUV's on the road for each size segment. Go figure eh!

Ford's plan forward is more like a step back. Ford needs to get thier shit in gear and fast.

They have left and neglected some of thier bread and butter vehicals and even the segments with the loyal buyers are shinkning.

Yes Richard all is not lost but your like that one guy on the titanic telling every one that every thign is OK.

Ford has had a steady decline in sales. Ya the fusion may be selling at capcity but it is still only selling about half the units it needs to be to make any measurable impact in Fords failing situation.

Ya the plant is running at capacity start building the dman thing elsewhere and start getting the numbers up.

The funniest thing is the only core Ford car with the lowest sales drop is the CV. That sort of strikes me as WTF.

Guess them cops love em.

If wee see the same results this time next year it will be time to turf Bill. And get some one in their that knows WTF their doing.

These kind of results can not continue for much longer .

Matthew

Gee, Matt, you think some of the decline from last July to this might be due to Employee pricing?

Car sales are way up at Ford of Canada. Even the Crown Vic.

And Ford is not going to build the Fusion at a second plant. There's no need to repeat the mistakes made with the Taurus. One car can't keep two plants busy in this day and age, unless its the Accord or Camry.

And Ford is not going to build the Fusion at a second plant. There's no need to repeat the mistakes made with the Taurus. One car can't keep two plants busy in this day and age, unless its the Accord or Camry.

I'd like to think that the Fusion will, over the long run, be enough of a competitor that some day it can keep two plants churning at full capacity... maybe in 10-15 years, anyway.

I'd like to think that the Fusion will, over the long run, be enough of a competitor that some day it can keep two plants churning at full capacity... maybe in 10-15 years, anyway.

That's not where the market is headed, though. It seems that a larger number of a smaller volume products are the key to sustainable business (better to have a dozen models in the $20-30k price range, than just three or four)

That's not where the market is headed, though. It seems that a larger number of a smaller volume products are the key to sustainable business (better to have a dozen models in the $20-30k price range, than just three or four)

Just look at the Toyota lineup.

Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Matrix.

Obviosly Toyota is using the wrong strategy.