Election Predictions

The way it looks as of now, two weeks out, you are going to be sorely disappointed that America is not as dumb as what was previously thought.

Eh, this election has actually cemented for me how dumb I believe most Americans are. Obama? Romney? These are the choices we have? Well, at least we didn't end up with Santorum I guess.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

This is the second time you have commented on the election and the economy based on your neighborhood.....guess what, it's not like that in too many other places......I live near one of the largest ports on the east coast....out bound coal shippments are down, Norfolk Southern is talking about layoffs due to coal mines being closed (obama hates coal) in Va. and West Va. cargo business is still down to the point that some long shoremen haven't worked a full week in over 3 years, the area is insulated some by the amount of DOD work in the area.....however many defense contractors have put out vibes about masive layoffs because of sequestration....so that's why in the last month Va. has swung over to Romney....and according to polls many of states are also.....I suggest you start looking beyond the end of your nose when measuring the preceived economic recovery

Nap, I am ashamed of you! How could you deviate so much from the narrative? You are obviously not a liberal team player, and therefore must be cleansed.

I am here to save you. Repeat after me---------->Nobody heard what they heard with Libya, nobody seen what they seen on video either. The population has lying eyes and ears, and the administration will inform them soon what they really seen and heard; as soon as they decide what that was!

See Nap, it is easy to be an administration operative, just tell the country they are all dumb! Just say-------> You didn't see that, you didn't hear that, you didn't build that, and you will be right on target.

Eh, this election has actually cemented for me how dumb I believe most Americans are. Obama? Romney? These are the choices we have? Well, at least we didn't end up with Santorum I guess.

No, how dumb YOU are! They are sooooo different, one has to better than the other. If in your opinion it is Obama, then vote for him.

But, if you are just a hand wringer, then your opinion is worthless. 1 of 2 men is going to win.....no matter how hard you try and convince anyone else they are both useless.

Maybe you should join Mr Cap, or maybe you are a Canadian who doesn't care. In either case, vote for 1 of the two.......if you are eligible, and if you are not eligible, then maybe you should allow Amereicans to decide their own future.

This is the second time you have commented on the election and the economy based on your neighborhood.....guess what, it's not like that in too many other places......I live near one of the largest ports on the east coast....out bound coal shippments are down, Norfolk Southern is talking about layoffs due to coal mines being closed (obama hates coal) in Va. and West Va. cargo business is still down to the point that some long shoremen haven't worked a full week in over 3 years, the area is insulated some by the amount of DOD work in the area.....however many defense contractors have put out vibes about masive layoffs because of sequestration....so that's why in the last month Va. has swung over to Romney....and according to polls many of states are also.....I suggest you start looking beyond the end of your nose when measuring the preceived economic recovery

Guess what....coal is not good for the environment and many states have banned their electric companies from building new coal plants as many also are going to natural gas which is much cleaner. Romney is a supporter of this and only reason he has flipped flopped as on so many other issues is becauce he is trying to be contrarian to Obama and pick up some votes.

Guess what....coal is not good for the environment and many states have banned their electric companies from building new coal plants as many also are going to natural gas which is much cleaner. Romney is a supporter of this and only reason he has flipped flopped as on so many other issues is becauce he is trying to be contrarian to Obama and pick up some votes.

The EPA has put the screws to the coal industry more then individual states. Since states that mine or use coal actually employee people in their own states and some generate electricity I do not see a rush by states to shut down their own infrastructure and employment. Using coal AND NG is one step closer to energy independence.

Using whats available before importing is a step towards non-dependence.

My family is from WVa. and heavy into coal and power generation. Most of them are life long democrats and no matter who or what was running they voted for that person. Many supported Obama last election (which I love to rub it in now). They all sing a different tune now and when they learned more of Obama and his "carbon tax" idea and how it would kill the coal industry they could not believe its the same guy they voted for. They will not be supporting Obama this year.

If Romney is serious about using ALL natural resources and keeping the EPA on a leash its better for everyone that uses energy & pays a utility bill.

The EPA needs its role defined instead of them dictating policy to others and becoming part of the problem itself.

The EPA has put the screws to the coal industry more then individual states. Since states that mine or use coal actually employee people in their own states and some generate electricity I do not see a rush by states to shut down their own infrastructure and employment. Using coal AND NG is one step closer to energy independence.

Using whats available before importing is a step towards non-dependence.

My family is from WVa. and heavy into coal and power generation. Most of them are life long democrats and no matter who or what was running they voted for that person. Many supported Obama last election (which I love to rub it in now). They all sing a different tune now and when they learned more of Obama and his "carbon tax" idea and how it would kill the coal industry they could not believe its the same guy they voted for. They will not be supporting Obama this year.

If Romney is serious about using ALL natural resources and keeping the EPA on a leash its better for everyone that uses energy & pays a utility bill.

The EPA needs its role defined instead of them dictating policy to others and becoming part of the problem itself.

Coal power plants will be around for decades more. It's just that new one's won't be built, and that is good. A couple years ago, the coal train only came through town about once a week because so many plants were down. But now with all the plants going strong again, the coal train to DTE Energy power plant comes through twice a day now. Ballot initiative on MI plate this Nov, is for alternative energy to be 25% by 2025 instead of just 15% by 2015 and that's it. I will gladly pay 20% more for electricity if DTE can get to 25% alternative in next 13 years. Lakes and rivers are very important to MI and anything to keep them decent for future generations.

I agree. Look at Americas barely 8th-grade reading level. I can't imagine why people are so focused on things like Obamaloney and Romnisia. Simple concepts for simple people. USA! USA! USA!

They like his kind of America. Weak, supplicant, kowtowing, apologetic, admittedly non-superior.

America, F**k YEAH! Everything is perspective. American exceptionalism isn't too exceptional ;)

A friend of mine sent me this article about American Exceptionalism. I don't know much about the source (liberal or conservative bias), but I do agree with a lot of the content. Bear in mind, the same can be said of any other countries brand of Exceptionalism.

Myths about American Exceptionalism

1. There Is Something Exceptional About American Exceptionalism. So when Americans proclaim they are exceptional and indispensable, they are simply the latest nation to sing a familiar old song. Among great powers, thinking you're special is the norm, not the exception.

2. The United States Behaves Better Than Other Nations Do. Given the vast power at its disposal for much of the past century, Washington could certainly have done much worse. But the record is clear: U.S. leaders have done what they thought they had to do when confronted by external dangers, and they paid scant attention to moral principles along the way. The idea that the United States is uniquely virtuous may be comforting to Americans; too bad it's not true.

3. America's Success Is Due to Its Special Genius. The United States did many things right, but it also acknowledges that America's present position owes as much to good fortune as to any special genius or "manifest destiny."

4.The United States Is Responsible for Most of the Good in the World. Americans take too much credit for global progress and accept too little blame for areas where U.S. policy has in fact been counterproductive. Americans are blind to their weak spots, and in ways that have real-world consequences. Remember when Pentagon planners thought U.S. troops would be greeted in Baghdad with flowers and parades? They mostly got RPGs and IEDs instead

5. God Is on Our Side. Ronald Reagan told audiences that there was "some divine plan" that had placed America here, and once quoted Pope Pius XII saying, "Into the hands of America God has placed the destinies of an afflicted mankind." Bush offered a similar view in 2004, saying, "We have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom." The same idea was expressed, albeit less nobly, in Otto von Bismarck's alleged quip that "God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States."

America, F**k YEAH! Everything is perspective. American exceptionalism isn't too exceptional ;)

A friend of mine sent me this article about American Exceptionalism. I don't know much about the source (liberal or conservative bias), but I do agree with a lot of the content. Bear in mind, the same can be said of any other countries brand of Exceptionalism.

And don't forget Lindsay Lohan, American Idol, The Bachelorette, Paris Hilton, The Khardashians, Survivor, ET, local news, Professional sports with college football and basketball not much better, most of broadcast TV, Dancing with the Stars, and on and on and on with similar American culture. No wonder so many hate our guts. I would too if I had to watch all that drivel.

Ehhh, it's not stupidity as much as it is intellectual laziness. People, essentially, make the decision to be stupid, because being accepted or cool is more important to them.

I didn't use the phrase "stupid". I said, "Because they are too young, naive and uninformed."

Uh. I wouldn't call them stupid. That's an insult to those with the disability of a lack of normal intelligence.

World English Dictionary stupid (ˈstjuːpɪd) — adj 1. lacking in common sense, perception, or normal intelligence 2. ( usually postpositive ) stunned, dazed, or stupefied: stupid from lack of sleep 3. having dull mental responses; slow-witted 4. trivial, silly, or frivolous

No, they are consciously refusing to invest more than osmosis in intellectual pursuit of the best president. A new cellphone and free service is good enough for them. DAMN! They sold-out cheap.

Speaking of 8th grade.

Nickelodeon's Linda Ellerbee has reported that Obama has captured 65 % of the vote..........................of kids too young to vote.

AND......Why.... Are......They......Not.....Allowed.....To.....Vote?

Because they are too young, naive and uninformed.

That about sums up Obama voters.

Linda found someone at her level or a little higher to talk to?

That great!

It make you wonder how many Obama votes also believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny but Linda is already on it........

I didn't use the phrase "stupid". I said, "Because they are too young, naive and uninformed."

Uh. I wouldn't call them stupid. That's an insult to those with the disability of a lack of normal intelligence.

No, they are consciously refusing to invest more than osmosis in intellectual pursuit of the best president. A new cellphone and free service is good enough for them. DAMN! They sold-out cheap.

Perhaps a dictionary would be a better investment (look at the lady's T-shirt in the first row behind Biden).

Spaniard, why are you here? If you don't think America is great and good then why are you here? The borders are open, Mexico doesn't even staff the points of entry from the US. Feel free to leave any time you want. Maybe you have noticved that your user name is Spaniard. If you feel like an outsider, it is becuasue you have made trhe choice to be an outsider.

Edited by xr7g428

And the excitement of "voting for the first black (half) president" isn't working this year. Really, how can Michelle say AGAIN, "For the FIRST time in my life I am proud of my country"? His "base" is not anywhere as energized as in 2008. Plus, Time magazine, Nobel Peace Prize and all the tingling, fawning talking heads aren't doing much good in propping up this empty chair for the second go-round. Apathy will turn the election.

It might be that white republicans will have the chance again to say they hope the first black fails like they did in 2008. I've been listening to a lot of political talk and emails coming from African American activists and this simple reality that white conservatives were so open about wanting the first black president to not only fail but to do some sort damage to America that they are driven to get the vote out. It crossed party lines and moved into the reality that they would oppose him openly damaging what was a historic moment for America. That this moment when the reality that yes, you really can be anything you want including president was cemented for many of them that it became politically expedient to hope he ruined the opportunity.

Before the president had even been inaugurated white conservatives took the flame that had been lit and tried to smother it. Many feel it was about race. That this wouldn't happen to a white liberal because he or she might stand on firmer ground. For them the concept of white liberals voting for and electing this man was potentially sinking sand, that a mistake or two and racial tensions would rush back in and he would be abandoned. That with white conservatives out to get him they didn't have the numbers to protect him.

I'm openly glad that it didn't happen that liberals didn't let his color become a sticking point, a reason to abandon him.

Like I said in another thread... Mr. O should simply just resign as soon as he concedes the election. Save the country another 2 months or grief!!!

Can you just resign from here? I mean seriously, just go fuck yourself and not come back. (sorry for the langauge but he deserved it.)

How bout he pull a Thad McCotter ® and resign in July and cost his district $600, 000 for special primaries to get on the Novmber 6th ballot for the last 1&1/2 months. Be a worried about the taxpayer's money republican!

Spaniard, why are you here? If you don't think America is great and good then why are you here? The borders are open, Mexico doesn't even staff the points of entry from the US. Feel free to leave any time you want. Maybe you have noticved that your user name is Spaniard. If you feel like an outsider, it is becuasue you have made trhe choice to be an outsider.

Ahhhh, the "America - love it or leave it" overreaction. I like it here, X. I never said I feel like an outsider in any way. I have had a good life in this country. Assuming my plans continue to work out, I'll be ready to buy some land and another house overseas in another few years. And yes, I'll be retaining my U.S. citizenship/applying for dual if necessary -and keeping a residence here.

Part of my job is that I travel and study cultures. I don't have an ethnocentric view of other cultures or countries. America is a great country. We are great at a lot of things. We are terrible at some things. I don't believe my country is the greatest in the world (no country is) and I don't think the rest of the world should bow down to our "greatness". Part of why many other countries in the world hate us is because we seem to think we know whats best for the rest of the world - when we can barely effectively run our country.

I love my country, despite its faults. That doesn't mean I ignore its faults. I'm not a person that sticks my nose in the air and claim how my country is better than every other country when I have never been to any other country. I go to other countries, and I don't go to tourist destinations if I can avoid them.

As far as Mexico, no thanks. There are some really great places down there, but I have a friend that has a house just outside Mexico City and I can get out there any time I like (when work permits). From there I can hit Hidalgo, Oaxaca and Veracruz (places I would want to go) pretty easily. There are surprisingly more non-hispanic Americans out there with property than one might think.

I also enjoy other cultures and other countries.

Edited by the_spaniard