Global warming stopped 16 years ago

Hey all, quit giving the man made climate change alarmists a hard time, will you! You have to understand a few things here----------> 1. More than likely, they were taught this theory. 2. More than likely, they were taught this in college or university. 3. More than likely, they paid through the nose to go college or university.

4. If you paid 30, 40, 50, or 100,000 dollars for a Yugo, you would probably claim it was great, wonderful, right, correct, and the best there ever was to as a vintage Pinto drove by you on the highway.

Just remember what many progressives in government have said up front--------->NEVER let a crisis go to waste.

Let us all realize that if they can create a crisis, that makes it even better as they can mold it towards any excuse/blame they want, getting the desired result they really wish.

So let me ask all of you; as of this upcoming year, (2014) what should we be worried about? A. Deficits? B. Obysmalcare wrecking your insurance? C. Iran getting a nuclear weapon? d. Man made global warming!

Now you know why progressives want to engage your time about d; because they don't want to touch with a ten foot pole, a, b, or c-)

You should worry more about driving in your state.

Hey all, quit giving the man made climate change alarmists a hard time, will you! You have to understand a few things here----------> 1. More than likely, they were taught this theory. 2. More than likely, they were taught this in college or university. 3. More than likely, they paid through the nose to go college or university.

4. If you paid 30, 40, 50, or 100,000 dollars for a Yugo, you would probably claim it was great, wonderful, right, correct, and the best there ever was to as a vintage Pinto drove by you on the highway.

Just remember what many progressives in government have said up front--------->NEVER let a crisis go to waste.

Let us all realize that if they can create a crisis, that makes it even better as they can mold it towards any excuse/blame they want, getting the desired result they really wish.

So let me ask all of you; as of this upcoming year, (2014) what should we be worried about? A. Deficits? B. Obysmalcare wrecking your insurance? C. Iran getting a nuclear weapon? d. Man made global warming!

Now you know why progressives want to engage your time about d; because they don't want to touch with a ten foot pole, a, b, or c-)

Easy to blame everything that is (wrong) in Federal Government on Progressive Liberals. Without them, we would have (no) EPA! Check out what the air quality has been like recently in Shanghai, China. No EPA there to interfere with Job Creators and Commerce. So what if you can`t go outdoors most days without a mask or pollution protection.

Easy to blame everything that is (wrong) in Federal Government on Progressive Liberals. Without them, we would have (no) EPA! Check out what the air quality has been like recently in Shanghai, China. No EPA there to interfere with Job Creators and Commerce. So what if you can`t go outdoors most days without a mask or pollution protection.

That's what totalitarian government does for you.

All you Apple product lovers have to live with that. That and Walmart.

Easy to blame everything that is (wrong) in Federal Government on Progressive Liberals. Without them, we would have (no) EPA!

The EPA was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order. The order establishing the EPA was ratified by committee hearings in the House and Senate.[4] The agency is led by its Administrator, who is appointed by the president and approved by Congress.

If your referring to Indiana, isn`t that where 2012 Republican Senate Candidate Richard Mourdock hailed from? LOL

I meant in his state, as in his condition. Cons here give me a hard time about what how I communicate, but his posts are a rambling collection of thoughts after a little bit too much mad dog 20/20 and anger at the fact that Bill Knapp's closed and he can't go there at 5 with the rest of his "friends"

The EPA was proposed by President Richard Nixon and began operation on December 2, 1970, after Nixon signed an executive order. The order establishing the EPA was ratified by committee hearings in the House and Senate.[4] The agency is led by its Administrator, who is appointed by the president and approved by Congress.

Way to quote Wiki.

You do know that the history of the environmental movement that lead to it's creation is longer than Nixon just putting all the groups in one powerful bureacracy right?

Way to quote Wiki.

You do know that the history of the environmental movement that lead to it's creation is longer than Nixon just putting all the groups in one powerful bureacracy right?

I suspect it started around the time the Cuyagoga River burned two or three times. And a full blooded Italian cried at a river bank while sitting on horseback, wearing a Indian Chief costume.

I meant in his state, as in his condition. Cons here give me a hard time about what how I communicate, but his posts are a rambling collection of thoughts after a little bit too much mad dog 20/20 and anger at the fact that Bill Knapp's closed and he can't go there at 5 with the rest of his "friends"

"sigh," Langston continues to attempt to deflect FACTS, by attacking those who bring them forward. Typical progressive modus aperendi, just ask Debbie, Wasserman, Shultz.

Questions asked of Langston------>

1. What is the correct temperature of earth? ANSWER........ (not quoted but rather paraphrased) Denier, flat earther, how dare you! We are trying to fix everything, and I am just trying to point out, we are having an effect on planet earth. The correct temperature is not important until you are taxed to death, that is when the temperature will be proper.

2. Why has earth warming stopped? ANSWER-----> Denier, flat earther, how dare you! It only gets cold in some places, in other places it gets hot, very hot! Just because I CONTINUE TO POINT OUT THAT ICE HAS MELTED, BUT NOBODY IS DROWNING, it makes no difference. I can't say it is melting because if I do and nobody is drowning, it ruins my argument. But if I say it isn't melting, that ruins my argument too. Quit pointing out discrepencys in my debate points, will ya!

3. Langston, Al Gore was wrong! ANSWER----------> Just because every MMGW person(including little ole lovable me) in the world got behind him and his movie, mean nothing, nothing! Just like we did before, we upgraded our predictions. These are super, super, super, super, accurate, where our last predictions were just super, super. And quit complaining none of the computer models are accurate, Obysmalcare was created off the same computers, and you know (cough, cough)how that is working perfectly!

4. But Langston, everything all of you predicted has not happened, you work for an auto company don't you, and that means more pain for the workers there if you have your way, doesn't it? ANSWER-------> Comrade, ignore that fact that we exempt all of the EMERGING economies like China and India; and no, this is not a transfer of wealth scheme, what this really is, is the United States, Canada, and the Western powers, doing the right thing. Obysmal will take care of me, heck, he even gave me an Obamaphone. He will take care of you too comrade, join me. More is on the way.

DISCLAIMER: Langston was not interviewed, nor did he/SHE participate in this interview. His responses were not drawn nor reposted from this thread, and Langston might not even spin it this way, he may very well PROPOGANDIZE it in a singularly other way.

In any case, I shall go drink some 20/20, or whatever he claims I am drinking, even as I sip some water out of my home tap.

But hey, as Nick asked...........if Langston knows the earths temperature is wrong and headed in the wrong direction, then by all logic, he knows what temperature is right, correct, what should be, he knows so listen, he is an expert, so let him enlighten us! And EXACTLY, what temperature, say at the equator, would that be!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! If he can NOT answer, then he is GUESSING his theories are correct, for our planet may very well be changing in it's proper direction, and he wants to screw it all up, and send us to oblivion-)

Wow, this thread really kicked into high gear.

Whether you believe in MMGW or not, you guys have to learn to scrutinize sources. I mean, if a climate blog poster with an associates degree in civil engineering and a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering (who believes in MMGW, btw) says that we are in a cooling trend, then it must be true!

Anyone can post anything on a blog. How about something from someone with a horse in the race?

Question: Who (Other than a hyper-conservative representative from West VA) stated earth warming has stopped, and what are their credentials? Are they scientists? How about climate scientists?

Maybe someone with a bit more credibility than a "special investigations writer" David Rose known for publishing lies and half-truths in the most conservative rag in the UK? Here is a hint - if you are ever referenced by Rush Limbaugh - you have already lost all credibility by people who do real science. Rose outright changes, misrepresents, lies, and provides zero sources to back up his "opinions".

Edited by the_spaniard

"sigh," Langston continues to attempt to deflect FACTS, by attacking those who bring them forward. Typical progressive modus aperendi, just ask Debbie, Wasserman, Shultz.

Questions asked of Langston------>

1. What is the correct temperature of earth? ANSWER........ (not quoted but rather paraphrased) Denier, flat earther, how dare you! We are trying to fix everything, and I am just trying to point out, we are having an effect on planet earth. The correct temperature is not important until you are taxed to death, that is when the temperature will be proper.

2. Why has earth warming stopped? ANSWER-----> Denier, flat earther, how dare you! It only gets cold in some places, in other places it gets hot, very hot! Just because I CONTINUE TO POINT OUT THAT ICE HAS MELTED, BUT NOBODY IS DROWNING, it makes no difference. I can't say it is melting because if I do and nobody is drowning, it ruins my argument. But if I say it isn't melting, that ruins my argument too. Quit pointing out discrepencys in my debate points, will ya!

3. Langston, Al Gore was wrong! ANSWER----------> Just because every MMGW person(including little ole lovable me) in the world got behind him and his movie, mean nothing, nothing! Just like we did before, we upgraded our predictions. These are super, super, super, super, accurate, where our last predictions were just super, super. And quit complaining none of the computer models are accurate, Obysmalcare was created off the same computers, and you know (cough, cough)how that is working perfectly!

4. But Langston, everything all of you predicted has not happened, you work for an auto company don't you, and that means more pain for the workers there if you have your way, doesn't it? ANSWER-------> Comrade, ignore that fact that we exempt all of the EMERGING economies like China and India; and no, this is not a transfer of wealth scheme, what this really is, is the United States, Canada, and the Western powers, doing the right thing. Obysmal will take care of me, heck, he even gave me an Obamaphone. He will take care of you too comrade, join me. More is on the way.

DISCLAIMER: Langston was not interviewed, nor did he/SHE participate in this interview. His responses were not drawn nor reposted from this thread, and Langston might not even spin it this way, he may very well PROPOGANDIZE it in a singularly other way.

In any case, I shall go drink some 20/20, or whatever he claims I am drinking, even as I sip some water out of my home tap.

But hey, as Nick asked...........if Langston knows the earths temperature is wrong and headed in the wrong direction, then by all logic, he knows what temperature is right, correct, what should be, he knows so listen, he is an expert, so let him enlighten us! And EXACTLY, what temperature, say at the equator, would that be!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! If he can NOT answer, then he is GUESSING his theories are correct, for our planet may very well be changing in it's proper direction, and he wants to screw it all up, and send us to oblivion-)

Why do we envision you looking kinda like this while posting it.

Bad-Santa-bad-santa-478734_350_265.jpg

If your going to get all jacked up and have conversations in your head with an imaginary me, please remember that it's in your head and should stay there.

Spaniard, you are behind the times on this one. Pretty much every one concedes the lack of warming. NASA's Hansen, the father of global warming, even conceded it in a paper this spring. The question now is how long do temperatures have to stay flat or decline before they have to concede the entire argument. The director of the IPCC says 40 years, or longer than the entire period that caused them to postulate the theory to begin with.

Twenty-year hiatus in rising temperatures has climate scientists puzzled

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/twenty-year-hiatus-in-rising-temperatures-has-climate-scientists-puzzled/story-e6frg6z6-1226609140980

But the fact that global surface temperatures have not followed the expected global warming pattern is now widely accepted.

Research by Ed Hawkins of University of Reading shows surface temperatures since 2005 are already at the low end of the range projections derived from 20 climate models and if they remain flat, they will fall outside the models' range within a few years.

"The global temperature standstill shows that climate models are diverging from observations," says David Whitehouse of the Global Warming Policy Foundation.

"If we have not passed it already, we are on the threshold of global observations becoming incompatible with the consensus theory of climate change," he says.

Edited by xr7g428

Spaniard, you are behind the times on this one. Pretty much every one concedes the lack of warming. NASA's Hansen, the father of global warming, even conceded it in a paper this spring. The question now is how long do temperatures have to stay flat or decline before they have to concede the entire argument. The director of the IPCC says 40 years, or longer than the entire period that caused them to postulate the theory to begin with.

Twenty-year hiatus in rising temperatures has climate scientists puzzled

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/twenty-year-hiatus-in-rising-temperatures-has-climate-scientists-puzzled/story-e6frg6z6-1226609140980

Wait, you mean James Hansen, this guy?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/science/james-e-hansen-retiring-from-nasa-to-fight-global-warming.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&

James E. Hansen, the climate scientist who issued the clearest warning of the 20th century about the dangers of global warming, will retire from NASA this week, giving himself more freedom to pursue political and legal efforts to limit greenhouse gases.

You really mean this guy, who said this about your 20 year thing?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/may/17/global-warming-not-stalled-climate

"This is a diversionary tactic. Our understanding of global warming and human-made climate change has not been affected at all," he said. "It's because the deniers [of the science] want the public to be confused. They raise these minor issues and then we forget about what the main story is. The main story is carbon dioxide is going up and it is going to produce a climate which is going to have dramatic changes if we don't begin to reduce our emissions."

You can't really mean this guy and his fellow authors?

http://m.rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/2001/20120294.full

Humanity is now the dominant force driving changes in the Earth's atmospheric composition and climate [1]. The largest climate forcing today, i.e. the greatest imposed perturbation of the planet's energy balance [1,2], is the human-made increase in atmospheric greenhouse gases (GHGs), especially CO2 from the burning of fossil fuels.
Earth's response to climate forcings is slowed by the inertia of the global ocean and the great ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica, which require centuries, millennia or longer to approach their full response to a climate forcing. This long response time makes the task of avoiding dangerous human alteration of climate particularly difficult, because the human-made climate forcing is being imposed rapidly, with most of the current forcing having been added in just the past several decades. Thus, observed climate changes are only a partial response to the current climate forcing, with further response still ‘in the pipeline’ [3].
I'm sorry but i don't think you meant James Hansen, but rather one of the Hanson brothers
tumblr_m585axoP2k1rxv8mmo1_400.png
I'm sure for a an appearance fee that they will show up and skate around promoting your feelings on Climate change, but the James, Hansen formerly of NASA isn't on Team X in regards to this topic.
Edited by Langston Hughes
  • Like 1

Langston beat me to it.

And Graham Lloyd, the author of that article in the Australian (again, a man with zero academic credentials, but is considered to be a "climate reporter") has been found to misrepresent scientific findings ..even being corrected by the editors of the newspaper. The Australian (another Murdoch conservative rag) has even been accused of having an anti-green slant.

Sorry, xr7g428. Scrutinize those sources, and you will "get with the times". ;) It's not hard to point out ridiculous bias when you guys keep quoting from ultra-conservative anti-science rags and the best you can come up with are articles written by buffoons.

I don't like referencing blogs myself, but Rose and Lloyd are so easily dismissed its not worth the time to do what so many others have covered, referencing scientific sources at the same time.

Still waiting for someone with a PHD in front of their name that is a solid source against MMGW. There are a couple out there, but no one here seems to listen to them.

Yes, this guy:

170px-NASA_Scientist_James_Hansen_Arrest

Here is the paper: http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2013/20130115_Temperature2012.pdf

Here are the quotes:

Global Warming Standstill. The 5-year running mean of global temperature has been flat for the past decade.
The climate forcing2 most often cited as a likely natural cause of global temperature change is solar variability. The sun's irradiance began to be measured precisely from satellites in the late 1970s, thus quantifying well the variation of solar energy reaching Earth (Fig. 4). The irradiance change associated with the 10-13 year sunspot cycle is about 0.1%. Given the ~240 W/m2 of solar energy absorbed by Earth, this solar cycle variation is about 1/4 W/m2 averaged over the planet. Although it is too early to know whether the maximum of the present solar cycle has been reached, the recent prolonged solar minimum assures that there is a recent downward trend in decadal solar irradiance, which may be a decrease of the order of 0.1 W/m2.
The largest climate forcing is caused by increasing greenhouse gases, principally CO2 (Fig. 5). The annual increment in the greenhouse gas forcing (Fig. 5) has declined from about 0.05 W/m2 in the 1980s to about 0.035 W/m2 in recent years.
A slower growth rate of the net climate forcing may have contributed to the standstill of global temperature in the past decade,

Spaniard, do you know what an ad hominem attack is? It is where you attempt to attack the speaker because you can't address the facts. You might as well toss out a sez you, or just go straight to mname calling. And remener you guys think Al Gore is a credible person, so stop with the ad hominem crap.

I prefer to use your sources, like Hansen.

Or I could use this guy...

Curriculum Vitae
RICHARD SIEGMUND LINDZEN
Home:
301 Lake Avenue
Newton, MA 02461
(617) 332-4342
Work:
Bldg. 54, Room 1720
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 253-2432
Fax: (617) 253-6208
Email: rlindzen@mit.edu
Date of Birth: 8 February 1940
Place of Birth: Webster, Massachusetts
Married with two sons; wife's name is Nadine
EDUCATION:
A.B.(mcl) in Physics, l960, Harvard University.
S.M. in Applied Mathematics, l96l, Harvard University.
Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, l964, Harvard University. Thesis title: Radiative and
photochemical processes in strato- and mesospheric dynamics.
WORK EXPERIENCE:
l964-l965. Research Associate in Meteorology, University of Washington.
l965-l966. NATO Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Institute for Theoretical Meteorology,
University of Oslo.
l966-l967. Research Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research.
April-June l967. Visiting Lecturer in Meteorology, UCLA.
l968-l972. Associate Professor and Professor of Meteorology, University of Chicago.
Summers l968, l972, l978. Summer Lecturer, NCAR Colloquium.
October-December l969. Visiting Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences, Tel
Aviv University.
l972-l982. Gordon McKay Professor of Dynamic Meteorology, Harvard University.
February-June l975. Visiting Professor of Dynamic Meteorology, Massachusetts Institute of
Technology.
January-June l979. Lady Davis Visiting Professor, Department of Meteorology, The
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.
September l980-June l983. Director, Center for Earth and Planetary Physics, Harvard
University.
July l982-June l983. Robert P. Burden Professor of Dynamical Meteorology, Harvard University.
July l983- . Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
June 1988- . Distinguished Visiting Scientist at Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
HONORS:
Phi Beta Kappa
Sigma Xi
NCAR Outstanding Publication Award, l967
AMS Meisinger Award, l968
AGU Macelwane Award, l969
Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship, l970-l976
Vikram Amblal Sarabhai Professor at Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, India, 1985
AMS Charney Award, 1985
Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, Dec. 1986-Jan. 1987
Member, National Academy of Sciences
Fellow, American Academy of Arts & Sciences
Fellow, American Meteorological Society
Fellow, American Geophysical Union
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
Sackler Visiting Professor, Tel Aviv University, January 1992
Landsdowne Lecturer, University of Victoria, March 1993
Member, Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
Bernhard Haurwitz Memorial Lecturer, American Meteorological Society, 1997
Leo Prize of the Wallin Foundation (first recipient), 2006
Distinguished Engineering Achievement Award of the Engineers’ Council, February 2009
MEMBERSHIP:
American Meteorological Society
National Academy of Sciences
American Academy of Arts and Science
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Geophysical Union
European Geophysical Society
World Institute of Sciences
Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
OTHER:
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 2 February 10, 2010
Consultant to the Goddard Laboratory for Atmospheres.
Member, International Commission on Dynamic Meteorology
Corresponding Member, Committee on Human Rights, National Academy of Sciences
Lead author of the 2001 Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
Member, Science, Health, and Economic Advisory Council, The Annapolis Center
Member, Climate Change Science Program Product Development Advisory Committee of the
Department of Energy (term ended in 2009)
Previous service includes serving on editorial board of Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans
and PAGEOPH, membership on the Rocket Research Committee, the US GARP (Global
Atmospheric Research Program) Committee, the Assembly of Mathematical and Physical
Sciences, the executive committee of the Space Studies Board, and the executive committee of
the Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate of the National Research Council, serving as a
member of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Corporation and serving on the council of
the American Meteorological Society, Atmospheric Dynamics Committee of the AMS, MIT
representative to UCAR, serving as a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS:
The general circulation of the earth's atmosphere.
Climate dynamics.
Hydrodynamic shear instability.
Dynamics of the middle atmosphere.
Dynamics of planetary atmospheres.
Parameterization of cumulus convection.
Tropical meteorology.
MIT ACTIVITIES
Faculty Advisor, MIT Radio Society
Member, Board of MIT Hillel Foundation
Ph. D. THESIS STUDENTS
Donna Blake, Siu-Shung Hong, John Boyd, Lloyd Shapiro, Edwin Schneider, Margaret Niehaus,
Jeffrey Forbes, Duane Stevens, Ian Watterson, Arthur Hou, Brian Farrell, Petros Ioannou, Arthur
Rosenthal, Ka-Kit Tung, David Jacqmin, Ronald Miller, Arlindo DaSilva, Christopher Snyder,
De-Zheng Sun, Daniel Kirk-Davidoff, Constantine Giannitsis, Gerard Roe, Nili Harnik, Pablo
Zurita-Gotor, Roberto Rondanelli
M.S. THESIS STUDENTS
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 3 February 10, 2010
Joseph Chang, Niu Yang, Wen-Wei Pan
POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWS
Stephen Fels, Edward Sarachik, Ching-Yen Tsay, Isaac Held, Pinhas Alpert, M. Uryu, Steven
Ashe, T. Aso, Randall Dole, Edwin Schneider, David Neelin, John Barker, Y.-Y. Hayashi,
Michael Fox-Rabinowitz, Yuri Chernyak, Hans Schneider, Sumant Nigam, Edmund Chang,
Myles Allen, Zachary Guralnik, Yong-Sang Choi
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 4 February 10, 2010
PUBLICATIONS
1. (1965) On the asymmetric diurnal tide. Pure & Appl. Geophys., 62, 142-147.
2. R.S. Lindzen and R.M. Goody (1965). Radiative and photochemical processes in
mesospheric dynamics: Part I. Models for radiative and photochemical processes. J.
Atmos. Sci., 22, 341-348.
3. (1965) The radiative-photochemical response of the mesosphere to fluctuations in
radiation. J. Atmos. Sci., 22, 469-478.
4. (1966) Radiative and photochemical processes in mesospheric dynamics: Part II.
Vertical propagation of long period disturbances at the equator. J. Atmos. Sci., 23,
334-343.
5. (1966) Radiative and photochemical processes in mesospheric dynamics. Part III.
Stability of a zonal vortex at midlatitudes to axially symmetric disturbances. J. Atmos.
Sci., 23, 344-349.
6. (1966) Radiative and photochemical processes in mesospheric dynamics. Part IV.
Stability of a zonal vortex at midlatitudes to baroclinic waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 23,
350-359.
7. (1966) On the theory of the diurnal tide. Mon. Wea. Rev., 94, 295-301.
8. (1966) Crude estimate for the zonal velocity associated with the diurnal temperature
oscillation in the thermosphere. J. Geophys. Res., 71, 865-870.
9. (1966) On the relation of wave behavior to source strength and distribution in a
propagating medium. J. Atmos. Sci., 23, 630-632.
10. (1966) Turbulent convection -- Malkus theory. Proc. NCAR Thermal Convection
Colloquium. NCAR Tech. Note 24.
11. (1967) Thermally driven diurnal tide in the atmosphere. Q.J. Roy. Met. Soc., 93, 18-42.
12. (1967) Diurnal velocity oscillation in the thermosphere -- reconsidered. J. Geophys. Res.,
72, 1591-1598.
13. (1967) On the consistency of thermistor measurements of upper air temperatures. J.
Atmos. Sci., 24, 317-318.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 5 February 10, 2010
14. (1967) Mesosphere. In The Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences and Astrogeology, R.
Fairbridge, ed. Reinhold Pub. Co., New York, pp 556-559.
15. R.S. Lindzen and D.J. McKenzie (1967). Tidal theory with Newtonian cooling. Pure &
Appl. Geophys., 64, 90-96.
16. (1967) Physical processes in the mesosphere. Proc. IAMAP Moscow Meeting on
Dynamics of Large Scale Atmospheric Processes, A.S. Monin, ed.
17. (1967) Lunar diurnal atmospheric tide. Nature, 213, 1260-1261.
18. (1967) Planetary waves on beta planes. Mon. Wea. Rev., 95, 441-451.
19. (1968) The application of classical atmospheric tidal theory. Proc. Roy. Soc., A, 303,
299-316.
20. (1968) Lower atmospheric energy sources for the upper atmosphere. Met. Mono., 9,
37-46.
21. (1968) Rossby waves with negative equivalent depths -- comments on a note by G.A.
Corby. Q.J. Roy. Met. Soc., 94, 402-407.
22. R.S. Lindzen, E.S. Batten and J.W. Kim (1968). Oscillations in atmospheres with tops.
Mon. Wea. Rev., 96, 133-140.
23. R.S. Lindzen and J.R. Holton (1968). A note on Kelvin waves in the atmosphere. Mon.
Wea. Rev., 96, 385-386.
24. R.S. Lindzen and T. Matsuno (1968). On the nature of large scale wave disturbances in
the equatorial lower stratosphere. J. Met. Soc. Japan, 46, 215-221.
25. R.S. Lindzen and J.R. Holton (1968). A theory of quasi-biennial oscillation. J. Atmos.
Sci., 26, 1095-1107.
26. (1968) Vertically propagating waves in an atmosphere with Newtonian cooling inversely
proportional to density. Can. J. Phys., 46, 1835-1840.
27. (1968) Some speculations on the roles of critical level interactions between internal
gravity waves and mean flows. In Acoustic Gravity Waves in the Atmosphere, T.M.
Georges, ed. U.S. Government Printing Office.
28. (1969) Data necessary for the detection and description of tides and gravity waves in the
upper atmosphere. J. Atmos. Ter. Phys., 31, 449-456.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 6 February 10, 2010
29. R.S. Lindzen and S. Chapman (1969). Atmospheric tides. Sp. Sci. Revs., 10, 3-188.
30. R.S. Lindzen and H.L. Kuo (1969). A reliable method for the numerical integration of a
large class of ordinary and partial differential equations. Mon. Wea. Rev., 97, 732-734.
31. (1969) Vertical momentum transport by large scale disturbances of the equatorial lower
stratosphere. J. Met. Soc. Japan., 48, 81-83.
32. (1969) The latke, the hamantasch and the (m)oral crisis in the university. The Jewish
Digest, 15, 55-58.
33. S. Chapman and R.S. Lindzen (1970). Atmospheric Tides, D. Reidel Press, Dordrecht,
Holland, 200 pp.
34. (1970) Internal equatorial planetary scale waves in shear flow. J. Atmos. Sci., 27,
394-407.
35. (1970) The application and applicability of terrestrial atmospheric tidal theory to Venus
and Mars. J. Atmos. Sci., 27, 536-549.
36. (1970) Mean heating of the thermosphere by tides. J. Geophys. Res., 75, 6868-6871.
37. (l970) Internal gravity waves in atmospheres with realistic dissipation and temperature:
Part I. Mathematical development and propagation of waves into the thermosphere.
Geophys. Fl. Dyn., 1, 303-355.
38. R.S. Lindzen and D. Blake (1971). Internal gravity waves in atmospheres with realistic
dissipation and temperature: Part II. Thermal tides excited below the mesopause.
Geophys. Fl. Dyn., 2, 31-61.
39. (1971) Internal gravity waves in atmospheres with realistic dissipation and temperature:
Part III. Daily variations in the thermosphere. Geophys. Fl. Dyn., 2, 89-121.
40. (197l) Tides and gravity waves in the upper atmosphere. In Mesospheric Models and
Related Experiments, G. Fiocco, ed., D. Reidel Pub., Dordrecht, Holland.
41. (1971) Atmospheric Tides. Lec. in App. Math., 14, 293-362.
42. (1971) Some aspects of atmospheric waves in realistic atmosphere. In Atmospheric Model
Criteria, R.E. Smith and S.T. Wu, eds., Marshall Space Flight Center, NASA Report
SP-305, pp. 71-90.
43. (1971) Equatorial planetary waves in shear: Part I. J. Atmos. Sci., 28, 609-622.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 7 February 10, 2010
44. (1972) Equatorial planetary waves in shear: Part II. J. Atmos. Sci., 29, 1452-1463.
45. (1972) Atmospheric tides. In Structure and Dynamics of the Upper Atmosphere, F.
Verniani, ed., Elsevier, New York, pp. 21-88.
46. R.S. Lindzen and D. Blake (1972). Lamb waves in the presence of realistic distributions
of temperature and dissipation. J. Geophys. Res., 7, 2166-2176.
47. (1972) The 26 month oscillation in the atmosphere. In Geopaedia Encyclopedic
Dictionary of Geosciences, Pergamon Press, New York.
48. (1972) Atmospheric tides. In Geopaedia Encyclopedic Dictionary of Geosciences,
Pergamon Press, New York.
49. J.R. Holton and R.S. Lindzen (1972). An updated theory for the quasibiennial cycle of the
tropical stratosphere. J. Atmos. Sci., 29, 1076-1080.
50. (1973) Wave-mean flow interaction in the upper atmosphere. Bound. Lay. Met., 4,
327-343.
51. (1973) Hydrodynamics of stratified fluids. Bound. Lay. Met., 4, 227-231.
52. D. Blake and R.S. Lindzen (1973). Effect of photochemical models on calculated
equilibria and cooling rates in the stratosphere. Mon. Wea. Rev., 101, 738-802.
53. J.R. Holton and R.S. Lindzen (1973). Internal gravity wave-mean wind interaction.
Science, 182, 85-86.
54. R.S. Lindzen and S.S. Hong (1973). Equivalent gravity modes -- an interim evaluation.
Geophys. Fl. Dyn., 4, 279-292.
55. R.S. Lindzen and D. Will (1973). An analytic formula for heating due to ozone
absorption. J. Atmos. Sci., 30, 513-515.
56. (1974) Wave-CISK and tropical meteorology. Proceedings Int'l. Trop. Met. Meeting,
1/31-2/7, Nairobi, Kenya. Amer. Met. Soc. Pub.
57. (1974) Wave-CISK in the tropics. J. Atmos. Sci., 31, 156-179.
58. (1974) Wave-CISK and tropical spectra. J. Atmos. Sci., 31, 1447-1449.
59. (1974) Stability of a Helmholtz velocity profile in a continuously stratified infinite
Boussinesq fluid - applications to a clear air turbulence. J. Atmos. Sci., 31, 1507-1514.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 8 February 10, 2010
60. S. Fels and R.S. Lindzen (1974). Interaction of thermally excited gravity waves with
mean flows. Geophys. Fl. Dyn., 6, 149-191.
61. R.S. Lindzen and S.S. Hong (1974). Effects of mean winds and horizonal temperature
gradients on solar and lunar semidiurnal tides in the atmosphere. J. Atmos. Sci., 31,
1421-1446.
62. (1975) Reply to comments by A. Hollingsworth. J. Atmos. Sci., 31, 1643.
63. R.S. Lindzen and C.Y. Tsay (1975). Wave structure of tropical atmosphere over the
Marshall Islands during 1 April - 1 July 1958. J. Atmos. Sci., 32, 2009-2021.
64. (1976) Reply to comments by M. Geller. J. Atmos. Sci., 33, 558.
65. (1976) A modal decomposition of the semidiurnal tide in the lower atmosphere. J.
Geophys. Res., 81, 2923-2925.
66. R.S. Lindzen and S.S. Hong (1976). Solar semidiurnal tide in the thermosphere. J. Atmos.
Sci., 33, 135-153.
67. R.S. Lindzen and A.J. Rosenthal (1976). On the instability of Helmholtz velocity profiles
in stably stratified fluids when a lower boundary is present. J. Geophys. Res., 81,
1561-1571.
68. R.S. Lindzen and K.K. Tung (1976). Banded convective activity and ducted gravity
waves. Mon. Wea. Rev., 104, 1602-1617.
69. E. Schneider and R.S. Lindzen (1976). A discussion of the parameterization of
momentum exchange by cumulus convection. J. Geophys. Res., 81, 3158-3160.
70. E. Schneider and R.S. Lindzen (1976). On the influence of stable stratification on the
thermally driven tropical boundary layer. J. Atmos. Sci., 33, 1301-1307.
71. J. Forbes and R.S. Lindzen (1976). Atmospheric solar tides and their electrodynamic
effects. Part I: The global Sq current system. J. Atmos. Ter. Phys., 38, 897-910.
72. J. Forbes and R.S. Lindzen (1976). Atmospheric solar tides and their electrodynamic
effects. Part II: The equatorial electrojet. J. Atmos. Ter. Phys., 38, 911-920.
73. J. Forbes and R.S. Lindzen (1977). Atmospheric solar tides and their electrodynamic
effects. Part III: The polarization electric field. J. Atmos. Ter. Phys., 38, 1369-1377.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 9 February 10, 2010
74. (1977) Some aspects of convection in meteorology. In Problems of Stellar Convection,
J.P. Zahn, ed., Springer Verlag, New York, 128-141.
75. R.S. Lindzen and B. Farrell (1977). Some realistic modifications of simple climate
models. J. Atmos. Sci., 34, 1487-1501.
76. R.S. Lindzen, J. Forbes and S.S. Hong (1977). Semidiurnal Hough modes extensions and
their application. Naval Research Lab. Memorandum. Rep. 3442, 65 pp.
77. E. Schneider and R.S. Lindzen (1977). Axially symmetric steady state models of the basic
state of instability and climate studies. Part I: Linearized calculations. J. Atmos. Sci., 34,
253-279.
78. D. Stevens, R.S. Lindzen and L. Shapiro (1977). A new model of tropical waves
incorporating momentum mixing by cumulus convection. Dyn. Atmos. and Oc., 1,
365-425.
79. (1978) Effect of daily variations of cumulonimbus activity on the atmospheric
semidiurnal tide. Mon. Wea. Rev., 106, 526-533.
80. (1979) Atmospheric Tides. Ann. Rev. Earth & Plan. Sci., 7, 199-225.
81. R.S. Lindzen and K.K. Tung (1978). Wave overreflection and shear instability. J. Atmos.
Sci., 35, 1626-1632.
82. D. Stevens and R.S. Lindzen (1978). Tropical wave-CISK with a moisture budget and
cumulus friction. J. Atmos. Sci., 35, 940-961.
83. D. Stevens and R.S. Lindzen (1978). Tropical wave-CISK with cumulus friction. Proc.
AMS Symp. on Trop. Met., Key Biscayne.
84. R.S. Lindzen and J.M. Forbes (l978). Boundary layers associated with thermal forced
planetary waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 35, 1441-1449.
85. K.K. Tung and R.S. Lindzen (1979). Theory of stationary long waves. Part I. A simple
theory of blocking. Mon. Wea. Rev., 107, 714-734.
86. K.K. Tung and R.S. Lindzen (1979). Theory of stationary long waves. Part II. Resonant
Rossby waves in the presence of realistic vertical shear. Mon. Wea. Rev. 107, 735-750.
87. (1979) On a calculation of the symmetric circulation and its implications for the role of
eddies. Proceedings of the NCAR General Circulation Colloquium, 1978.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 10 February 10, 2010
88. (1979) The concept of wave overreflection and its application to baroclinic instability.
Proceedings of the NCAR General Circulation Colloquium 1978.
89. R.S. Lindzen, B. Farrell and K.K. Tung (1980). The concept of wave overreflection and
its application to baroclinic instability. J. Atmos. Sci., 37, 44-63.
90. R.S. Lindzen and B. Farrell (1980). Reply. J. Atmos. Sci., 37, 900-902.
91. R.S. Lindzen and B. Farrell (1980). A simple approximate result for the maximum
growth rate of baroclinic instabilities. J. Atmos. Sci., 37, 1648-1654.
92. R.S. Lindzen and B. Farrell (1980). The role of polar regions in global climate, and the
parameterization of global heat transport. Mon. Wea. Rev., 108, 2064-2079.
93. (1980) Theory of atmospheric tides. J. Meteor. Soc. Japan, 58, 273-278.
94. (1980) Wave-CISK and cumulus parameterization in perspective. Proceedings of NAS
Symposium on the Impact of GATE on Large-Scale Numerical Modeling of the
Atmosphere and Ocean. Woods Hole, MA.
95. E.K. Schneider and R.S. Lindzen (1980). Comments on cumulus friction: Estimated
influence on the tropical mean meridional circulation. J. Atmos. Sci., 37, 2803-2806.
96. R.S. Lindzen and A.J. Rosenthal (1981). A WKB asymptotic analysis of baroclinic
instability. J. Atmos. Sci., 38, 619-629.
97. (1981) Turbulence and stress due to gravity wave and tidal breakdown. J. Geophys. Res.,
86, 9707-9714.
98. (1981) Some remarks on cumulus parameterization. Proceedings of the NASA Clouds in
Climate Conference, NASA Report, available NASA/Goddard Institute of Space Studies.
99. R.S. Lindzen, A.Y. Hou and B.F. Farrell (1982). The role of convective model choice in
calculating the climate impact of doubling CO2. J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 1189-1205.
100. R.S. Lindzen, B.F. Farrell and D. Jacqmin (1982). Vacillations due to wave interference.
J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 14-23.
101. R.S. Lindzen and M.R. Schoeberl (1982). A note on the limits of Rossby wave
amplitudes. J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 1171-1174.
102. R.S. Lindzen, T. Aso and D. Jacqmin (1982). Linearized calculations of stationary waves
in the atmosphere. J. Met. Soc. Japan, 60, 66-78.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 11 February 10, 2010
103. R.S. Lindzen and J. Forbes (1982). Turbulence originating from stable internal waves. J.
Geophys. Res., 88, 6549-6553.
104. R.S. Lindzen, B. Farrell and A.J. Rosenthal (1982). Absolute barotropic instability and
monsoon depressions. J. Atmos. Sci., 40, 1178-1184.
105. A. Rosenthal and R.S. Lindzen (1983). Instabilities in a stratified flud having one critical
level. Part I: Results. J. Atmos. Sci., 40, 509-520.
106. A. Rosenthal and R.S. Lindzen (1983). Instabilities in a stratified fluid having one critical
level. Part II: Explanation of gravity wave instabilities as overreflected waves. J. Atmos.
Sci., 40, 521-529.
107. A. Rosenthal and R.S. Lindzen (1983). Instabilities in a stratified fluid having one critical
level. Part III: Kelvin-Helmholtz instabilities as overreflected waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 40,
530-542.
108. A. Rosenthal and R.S. Lindzen (1983). Instabilities in a stratified shear flow in the
absence of Kelvin-Helmholtz instabilities. Tech. Rept., Center for Met. and Phys.
Oceanogr., MIT.
109. R.S. Lindzen, A.J. Rosenthal and B. Farrell (1983). Charney's problem for baroclinic
instability applied to barotropic instability. J. Atmos. Sci., 40, 1029-1034.
110. R.S. Lindzen, D. Straus and B. Katz (1984). An observational study of large scale
atmospheric Rossby waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 41, 1320-1335.
111. (1984) Gravity waves in the mesosphere, in Dynamics of the Middle Atmosphere, J.R.
Holton and T. Matsuno, eds., Terra Scientific Publishing Company, Tokyo, Japan.
112. R.S. Lindzen and H. Teitelbaum (1984). Venus zonal wind above the cloud layer.
ICARUS, 57, 356-361.
113. (1984) Charney's work on vertically propagating Rossby waves -- with remarks on his
early research at MIT, in The Atmosphere - A Challenge, A memorial to Jule Charney,
R.S. Lindzen, E.N. Lorenz, and G.W. Platzman, editors, Historical Monograph Series of
the Am. Meteor. Soc. appeared in 1990.
114. M. Schoeberl and R.S. Lindzen (1984). A numerical simulation of barotropic instability
including wave-mean flow interaction. J. Atmos. Sci., 41, 1368-1379.
115. R.S. Lindzen and J. Barker (1985). Instability and wave over-reflection in stably stratified
shear flow. J. Fluid Mech., 151, 189-217.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 12 February 10, 2010
116. D. Jacqmin and R.S. Lindzen (1985). The causation and sensitivity of the northern winter
planetary waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 42, 724-745.
117. (1985) Multiple gravity wave breaking levels. J. Atmos. Sci., 42, 301-305.
118. (1986) Stationary planetary waves, blocking, and interannual variability. Adv. Geophys.,
29, 251-273.
119. (1986). A simple model for 100 thousand years oscillations in glaciation. J. Atmos. Sci.,
43, 986-996.
120. R.S. Lindzen and S. Rambaldi (1986). A study of overreflection in viscous Poiseuille
flow. J. Fluid Mech., 165, 355-372.
121. P. Ioannou and R.S. Lindzen (1986). Baroclinic instability in the presence of barotropic
jets. J. Atmos. Sci., 43, 2999-3014.
122. R.S. Lindzen and S. Nigam (1987). On the role of sea surface temperature gradients in
forcing low level winds and convergence in the tropics. J. Atmos. Sci., 44, 2418-2436.
123. D.M. Straus, R.S. Lindzen and A.M. da Silva (1987). The characteristic Rossby
frequency. J. Atmos. Sci., 44, 1100-1105.
124. (1987) The development of the theory of the QBO. (Personal Recollections). Bull. Am.
Met. Soc., 68, 329-337.
125. R.S. Lindzen and B. Farrell (1987). Atmospheric Dynamics. Rev. of Geophys., 25,
323-328.
126. A.M. da Silva and R.S. Lindzen (1988). A mechanism for the excitation of ultralong
Rossby waves, J. Atmos. Sci., 44, 3625-3639.
127. (1988) CO2 feedbacks and the 100K year cycle. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys., 38, 42-49.
128. (1988) Instability of plane parallel shear flow (Towards a mechanistic picture of how it
works). PAGEOPH, 16, 103-121.
129. (1988) Some remarks on cumulus parameterization. PAGEOPH, 16, 123-135.
130. (1988) Supersaturation of vertically propagating internal gravity waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 45,
705-711.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 13 February 10, 2010
131. R.S. Lindzen and A.Y. Hou (1988). Hadley circulations for zonally averaged heating
centered off the equator. J. Atmos. Sci., 45, 2416-2427.
132. R.S. Lindzen and K.-K.- Tung (1988). Comments on 'On the shear instability without
over-reflection' by Masaaki Takahashi. J. Met. Soc. Japan, 66, 179-184.
133. R. Miller and R.S. Lindzen (1988). Viscous destabilization of stratified shear flow for
Ri>1/4. Geophys. Astrophys. Fl. Dyn., 42, 49-91.
134. C. Snyder and R.S. Lindzen (1988). Upper level baroclinic instability. J. Atmos. Sci., 45,
2446-2459.
135. S. Nigam and R.S. Lindzen (1989). The Sensitivity of stationary waves to variations in
the basic state zonal flow. J. Atmos. Sci., 46, 1746-1768.
136. R.S. Lindzen and M. Fox-Rabinovitz (1989). Consistent horizontal and vertical
resolution. Mon. Wea. Rev., 117, 2575-2583.
137. P. Ioannou and R.S. Lindzen (1990). W.K.B.J. approximation of the stability of a frontal
mean state. J. Atmos. Sci., 47, 2825-2831.
138. (1990) Some coolness concerning global warming. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 71, 288-299.
139. (1990) Some remarks on global warming. Env. Sci. Tech., 24, 424-427.
140. (1990) A skeptic speaks out. EPA Jour., 16, 46-47.
141. (1990) Greenhouse warming: science v. consensus. in Environmental Consequences of
Energy Production, proceedings of the seventeenth annual Illinois Energy Conference.
Publ. by Energy Resources Center, The University of Illinois at Chicago.
142. (1990) Dynamics in Atmospheric Physics, Cambridge University Press, New York,
310pp.
143. (edited with G.W. Platzman and E.N. Lorenz) (1990) The Atmosphere - A Challenge A
memorial to Jule Charney, Historical Monograph Series of the Am. Meteor. Soc.
144. (1990) Response: Greenhouse warming and the tropical water budget. Bull. Amer. Met.
Soc., 71, 1465-1467.
145. C. Snyder and R.S. Lindzen (1991). Quasi-geostrophic wave-CISK in an unbounded
baroclinic shear. J. Atmos. Sci., 48, 78-88.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 14 February 10, 2010
146. (with Volkmar Wirth) (1991) Zero potential vorticity gradient basic states in the
neighborhood of the equator. in Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Climate
Diagnostics Workshop. NTIS, US Dept. of Commerce, Springfield, VA pp 256-259.
147. (1991) Some remarks on the dynamics of the Jovian atmospheres. Geophys. and
Astrophys. Fl. Dyn., 58, 123-141.
148. (1991) Prospects for tropical modeling. Proc. ECMWF Conf. on Tropical Meteorology.
149. (1991) The Hadley circulation. Proc. ECMWF Conf. on Tropical Meteorology.
150. (1991) Some uncertainties with respect to water vapor's role in climate sensitivity.
Proceedings of NASA Workshop on the Role of Water Vapor in Climate Processes,
October 29 - November 1, 1990 in Easton, Maryland (D.O'C. Starr and H. Melfi, editors).
151. Miller, R. and R.S. Lindzen (1992) Organization of rainfall by an unstable jet with
application to African waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 49, 1523-1540.
152. Hou, A.Y. and R.S. Lindzen (1992) The influence of concentrated heating on the Hadley
circulation. J. Atmos. Sci., 49, 1233-1241.
153. (1992) Global warming: the origin and nature of the alleged scientific consensus.
Regulation, Spring 1992 issue, 87-98.
154. A.M. Da Silva and R.S. Lindzen (1993) On the establishment of stationary waves in the
northern hemisphere winter. J. Atmos. Sci., 50, 43-61.
155. Fox-Rabinovitz, M. and R.S. Lindzen (1993) Numerical experiments on consistent
horizontal and vertical resolution for atmospheric models and observing systems. Mon.
Wea. Rev., 121, 264--271.
156. Sun, D-Z. and R.S. Lindzen (1993) Water vapor feedback and the ice age snowline
record. Ann. Geophys., 11, 204-215.
157. Sun, D-Z. and R.S. Lindzen (1993) Distribution of tropical tropospheric water vapor. J.
Atmos. Sci., 50, 1643-1660.
158. (1993) Baroclinic neutrality and the tropopause. J. Atmos. Sci., 50, 1148-1151.
159. Ioannou, P. and R.S. Lindzen (1993) Gravitational tides on the outer planets; Part I:
Formulation for deep planets. Astrophys. J., 406, 252-265.
160. Ioannou, P. and R.S. Lindzen (1993) Gravitational tides on the outer planets; Part II:
Application to tidal dissipation on Jupiter. Astrophys. J., 406, 266-278.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 15 February 10, 2010
161. (1993) On the scientific basis for global warming scenarios. Env. Pollution, 83, 125-134.
162. (1995) Constraining possibilities versus signal detection. pp 182-186 in Natural Climate
Variability on Decade-to-Century Time Scales, Ed. D.G. Martinson, National Academy
Press, Washington, DC, 630pp.
163. (1993) Commentary (on the benefit of CO2 emission reductions vis a vis climate). in
Enhancing Environmental Quality Through Economic Growth, American Council for
Capital Formation, Washington, DC, 130-137.
164. (1993) Absence of scientific basis (for global warming scenarios). Exploration and
Research (published by National Geographic), 9, 191-200.
165. (1993) Paleoclimate sensitivity. Nature, 363, 25-26.
166. (1993) Climate dynamics and global change. Ann. Rev. Fl. Mech., 26, 353-378.
167. (1993) Gravity wave breaking: legitimizing popular “fudges”. Current Contents, 24, 8.
168. Sun, D.-Z. and R.S. Lindzen (1994) A PV view of the zonal mean distribution of
temperature and wind in the extra-tropical troposphere. J. Atmos. Sci., 51, 757-772.
169. Ioannou, P. and R.S. Lindzen (1994) Gravitiational tides on Jupiter: Part III: Atmospheric
response and mean flow acceleration. Astrophys. J., 424, 1005-1013.
170. (1994) The Eady Problem with zero PV gradient but beta unequal to zero. J. Atmos. Sci.,
51, 3221-3226.
171. Lindzen, R.S., and W. Pan (1994) A note on orbital control of equator-pole heat fluxes.
Clim. Dyn., 10, 49-57.
172. (1994) The effect of concentrated PV gradients on stationary waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 51,
3455-3466.
173. Kirk-Davidoff, D. and R.S. Lindzen (1994) Meridional heat fluxes inferred from past
climates and implications for the tropical heat budget. in preparation.
174. Lindzen, R.S., B. Kirtman, D. Kirk-Davidoff and E. Schneider (1994) Seasonal surrogate
for climate. J. Climate, 8, 1681-1684.
175. Lindzen, R.S., D.-Z. Sun, E. K.-M. Chang, and P. Ioannou (1994) Properties of a
troposphere with zero EPV gradients on isentropes.Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual
Climate Diagnostics Workshop. NTIS, US Dept. of Commerce, Springfield, VA.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 16 February 10, 2010
176. (1994) What we know and what we don’t know about global warming. pp 335-358 in
International Seminar on Nuclear War and Planetary Emergencies - 18th Session - 1993,
K. Goebel, editor, World Scientific, Singapore, 444pp.
177. (1994) Classic problems in dynamics revisited. pp 90-98 in The Life Cycles of
Extratropical Cyclones, Volume 1 (Grønås, S. and M. Shapiro, Editors), Geophysical
Institute, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway 286 p.
178. (1996) The importance and nature of the water vapor budget in nature and models. In
Climate Sensitivity to Radiative Perturbations: Physical Mechanisms and their
Validation, H. Le Treut (editor), pp. 51-66, NATO ASI Series 1: Global Environmental
Change, Vol. 34, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 331p.
179. (1995) How cold would we get under CO2-less sky? Phys. Today, 48, 78-80.
180. (1996) Science and politics: global warming and eugenics. in Risks, Costs, and Lives
Saved, R. Hahn, editor, Oxford University Press, New York, 267pp (Chapter 5, 85-103)
181. (1997) Can increasing atmospheric CO2 affect global climate? Proc. Natl..Acad. Sci.
USA, 94, 8335-8342.
182. G.H. Roe and R.S. Lindzen (1996) Baroclinic adjustment in a two-level model with
barotropic shear. J. Atmos. Sci., 53, 2749-2754.
183. N. Harnik and R.S. Lindzen (1998) Baroclinic instability in unbounded atmospheres with
realistic distributions of PV gradient. J. Atmos. Sci., 55, 344-360.
184. R.S. Lindzen and C. Giannitsis (1998) On the climatic implications of volcanic cooling.
J. Geophys. Res., 103, 5929-5941.
185. E. Schneider, R.S. Lindzen, and B. Kirtman (1997) A tropical influence on global
climate. J. Atmos. Sci., 54, pp. 1349-1358.
186. D. Braswell and R.S. Lindzen (1998) Anomalous solar absorption and the diurnal
atmospheric tide. Geophys. Res. Ltrs., 25, 1293-1296.
187. R.S. Lindzen and G.H. Roe (1997) Correction: The effect of concentrated PV gradients
on stationary waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 54, 1815-1818.
188. Giannitsis, C. and R.S. Lindzen (2001) Non-linear saturation of topographically forced
Rossby waves in a barotropic model. J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 2927-2941.
189. Schneider, E.K., B.P. Kirtman and R.S. Lindzen (1999) Upper tropospheric water vapor
and climate sensitivity. J. Atmos. Sci.,56, 1649-1658.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 17 February 10, 2010
190. Kirk-Davidoff, D.B. and R.S. Lindzen (2000) An energy balance model based on
potential vorticity homogenization. J. Climate, 13, 431-448..
191. (1998) Den Problematiska växthuseffekten. Chapter 8 in Klimatpolitik efter Kyotomötet
(T.R. Gerholm, editor), SNS Förlag, Stockholm, 175pp.
191a. (1999) The Greenhouse Effect and its problems. Chapter 8 in Climate Policy After Kyoto
(T.R. Gerholm, editor), Multi-Science Publishing Co., Brentwood, UK, 170pp.
192. A. Solomon and R.S. Lindzen (2000) The impact of resolution on a numerical simulation
of barotropic instability. J. Atmos. Sci., 57, 3799-3816.
193. D. Straus and R.S. Lindzen (2000) Planetary scale baroclinic instability and the MJO. J.
Atmos. Sci., 57, 3609-3626.
194 R.S. Lindzen, M.-D. Chou, and A.Y. Hou (2001) Does the Earth have an adaptive
infrared iris? Bull. Amer. Met. Soc. 82, 417-432.
195. G. Roe and R.S. Lindzen (2001) A one-dimensional model for the interaction between ice
sheets and atmospheric stationary waves. Climate Dyn., 17, 479-487.
196. G. Roe and R.S. Lindzen (2001) The mutual interaction between continental-scale ice
sheets and atmospheric stationary waves. J. Climate, 14, 1450-1465.
197. N. Harnik and R.S. Lindzen (2000) Are TOVS temperature retrievals capable of resolving
the vertical structure of stratospheric planetary waves? submitted Ann. Geophys.
198. R.S. Lindzen and K. Emanuel (2002) The greenhouse effect. in Encyclopedia of Global
Change, Environmental Change and Human Society, Volume 1, Andrew S. Goudie,
editor in chief, pp 562-566, Oxford University Press, New York,710 pp.
199. Sun, D.-Z., C. Covey, and R.S. Lindzen (2001) Vertical correlations of water vapor in
GCMs.. Geophys. Res. Lett., 28 , 259-262.
200. Zurita, P. and R.S. Lindzen (2001) The equilibration of short Charney waves:
Implications for potential vorticity homogenization in the extratropical troposphere. J.
Atmos. Sci., 58, 3443-3462.
201. Harnik, N. and R.S. Lindzen (2001) The effect of reflecting surfaces on the vertical
structure and variability of stratospheric planetary waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 2872-2894.
202. Lindzen, R.S. and C. Giannitsis (2002) Reconciling observations of global temperature
change. Geophys. Res. Ltrs. 29, (26 June) 10.1029/2001GL014074
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 18 February 10, 2010
203. Lindzen, R.S. (2002a) Do Deep Ocean Temperature Records Verify Models? Geophys.
Res. Ltrs., 29, 10.1029/2001GL014360.
204. Lindzen, R.S. (2002b) Richard J. Reed and Atmospheric Tides in A Half Century of
Progress in Meteorology: A Tribute to Richard J. Reed, R. Johnson, editor, American
Meteorological Society Monograph
205. Chou, M.-D., R.S. Lindzen, and A.Y. Hou (2002a) Impact of Albedo Contrast between
Cirrus and Boundary-Layer Clouds on Climate Sensitivity. Atmospheric Chemistry and
Physics, 2, 99-101.
206. Lindzen, R.S., M.-D. Chou, and A.Y. Hou (2002) Comments on “No evidence for iris.”
Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 83, 1345–1348
207. Chou, M.-D., R.S. Lindzen, and A.Y. Hou (2002b) Comments on “The Iris hypothesis: A
negative or positive cloud feedback?” J. Climate, 15, 2713-2715.
208. Bell, T. L., M.-D. Chou, R.S. Lindzen, and A.Y. Hou (2002) Response to Comment on
“Does the Earth Have an Adaptive Infrared Iris?” Bull. Amer. Met. Soc., 83, 598-600.
210. Chou, M.-D. and R.S. Lindzen (2002) Comments on “Tropical convection and the energy
balance of the top of the atmosphere.” J. Climate, 15, 2566-2570.
211. Zurita-Gotor, P., and R.S. Lindzen (2004) Baroclinic equilibration and the maintenance
of the momentum balance. Part I: barotropic analog. J. Atmos. Sci., 61, 1469-1482.
212. Zurita-Gotor, P., and R.S. Lindzen (2004) Baroclinic equilibration and the maintenance
of the momentum balance. Part II: 3-D results. J. Atmos. Sci., 61, 1483-1499.
213. Giannitsis, C. and R.S. Lindzen (2009) Non-linear saturation of vertically propagating
Rossby waves. J. Atmos. Sci., 66, 915-934
214. Lindzen, R.S. (2003) The Interaction of Waves and Convection in the Tropics. J. Atmos.
Sci., 60, 3009-3020.
215. Chou, M.-D. and R.S. Lindzen (2005) Comments on “Examination of the Decadal
Tropical Mean ERBS Nonscanner Radiation Data for the Iris Hypothesis”. J.
Clim. 18, 2123-2127.
216. Kennel, C.F., R.S. Lindzen, and W. Munk (2004) William Aaron Nierenberg (1919-
2000) - A biographical memoir. Biographical Memoirs of the N.A.S., 85, 1-20.
217. Lindzen, R.S. (2005) Understanding common climate claims. in Proceedings of
the 34th International Seminar on Nuclear War and Planetary Emergencies, R.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 19 February 10, 2010
Raigaini, editor, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 472pp. (pp. 189-
210)
218. Zurita-Gotor, P., and R.S. Lindzen (2006) A generalized momentum framework for
looking at baroclinic circulations. J. Atmos. Sci., 63, 2036-2055.
219. Zurita-Gotor, P., and R.S. Lindzen (2007) Theories of baroclinic adjustment and eddy
equilibration. In Recent Results in General Circulation Theory. T. Schneider and A.
Sobel, Editors. Princeton University Press.
220 Rondanelli, R., V. Thayalan, R. S. Lindzen, and M. T. Zuber (2006) Atmospheric
contribution to the dissipation of the gravitational tide of Phobos on Mars.
Geophys. Res. Ltrs.
221. Lindzen, R.S. (2008) "An Exchange on Climate Science and Alarm” in Global
Warming: Looking Beyond Kyoto (Ernesto Zedillo, editor), Brookings Institution
Press, Washington, DC.
222. Lindzen, R.S. (2006) Quelques observations sur la répartition des juifs dans Paris
intra-muros. Submitted to L’Arche.
223. Lindzen, R.S. and R. Rondanelli (2006) On the need for normalizing satellite
cloud data when applying results to climate. In preparation
224. Lindzen, R.S. (2006) Climate of Fear, Wall Street Journal, April 12, 2006.
225. Lindzen, R.S. (2006) There is no ‘consensus’ on global warming, Wall Street
Journal, June 26, 2006.
226. Lindzen, R.S. (2006) Debunking the Myth. Business Today, 43, 66-67.
227. Robert M. Carter, C. R. de Freitas, Indur M. Goklany, David Holland & Richard
S. Lindzen (2006) The Stern Review: A Dual Critique, Part I: The Science, World
Economics, 7, 167-198.
228. Lindzen, R.S., 2007: Taking greenhouse warming seriously. Energy &
Environment, 18, 937-950.
229. Carter, R.M., C. R. de Freitas, I. M. Goklany, D. Holland and R. S. Lindzen
(2007) Climate Science and the Stern Review, World Economics, 8, 161-182.
230. Rondanelli, R.F. and R.S. Lindzen (2008) Observed variations in convective precipitation
fraction and stratiform area with SST. J. Geophys. Res.113, D16119,
doi:10.1029/2008JD010064.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 20 February 10, 2010
231. Rondanelli, R.F. and R.S. Lindzen (2008) Comments on “Variations of tropical upper
tropospheric clouds with sea surface temperature and implications for radiative effects”
by Su et al. [2008], J. Geophys. Res, 115, D06202, doi:10.1029/2008JD011189.
232. Lindzen, R.S. (2008) Climate science: is it designed to answer questions.
arXiv:0809.3762, available as pdf file on www.arxiv.org, Physics and Society.
233. Choi, Y-S., C. Ho, J. Kim, and R. S. Lindzen (2010), Satellite retrievals of (quasi-
)spherical particles at cold temperatures, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L05703,
doi:10.1029/2009GL041818
234. Rondanelli, R. and R.S. Lindzen, 2010:Can thin cirrus clouds in the tropics provide a
solution to the faint young Sun paradox?, J.Geophys. Res,. 115, D02108, 12 pp
235. Lindzen, R.S. and Y.-S. Choi, 2009: On the determination of climate feedbacks from
ERBE data, Geophys. Res. Ltrs., 36, L16705, doi:10.1029/2009GL039628.
236. Lindzen, R.S. and Y.-S. Choi, 2011: On the observational determination of climate
sensitivity and its implications. in press Asian Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Science
237. Y.-S. Choi, R. S. Lindzen, C.-H. Ho, and J. Kim, 2010: Space observations of cold-cloud
phase change. Proc .Nat .Acad. Sci., 107, 11211-11216.
238. Y.-S. Choi, C.H. Ho, S.-W. Kim and R.S. Lindzen, 2010: Observational diagnosis of
cloud phase in the winter antarctic atmosphere for parameterizations in climate models.
Adv. Atm. Sci., 27, 1233-1245.
239. Covey, C., A. Dai, D. Marsh, and R.S. Lindzen, 2010: The Surface-Pressure Signature of
Atmospheric Tides in Modern Climate Models, J. Atmos. Sci., 68, 495-514, DOI:
10.1175/2010JAS3560.1.
240. Choi, Y.-S., H. Cho, R.S. Lindzen, and S.-K. Park (2011) An effect od non-feedback
cloud variations on determination of cloud feedback. Meteorology and Atmospheric
Physics, submitted.
CV: R.S. Lindzen Page 21 February 10, 2010

• Like 2

By
Richard S. Lindzen
Updated June 26, 2006 12:01 a.m. ET

According to Al Gore's new film "An Inconvenient Truth," we're in for "a planetary emergency": melting ice sheets, huge increases in sea levels, more and stronger hurricanes and invasions of tropical disease, among other cataclysms -- unless we change the way we live now.

Bill Clinton has become the latest evangelist for Mr. Gore's gospel, proclaiming that current weather events show that he and Mr. Gore were right about global warming, and we are all suffering the consequences of President Bush's obtuseness on the matter. And why not? Mr. Gore assures us that "the debate in the scientific community is over."

That statement, which Mr. Gore made in an interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC, ought to have been followed by an asterisk. What exactly is this debate that Mr. Gore is referring to? Is there really a scientific community that is debating all these issues and then somehow agreeing in unison? Far from such a thing being over, it has never been clear to me what this "debate" actually is in the first place.

The media rarely help, of course. When Newsweek featured global warming in a 1988 issue, it was claimed that all scientists agreed. Periodically thereafter it was revealed that although there had been lingering doubts beforehand, now all scientists did indeed agree. Even Mr. Gore qualified his statement on ABC only a few minutes after he made it, clarifying things in an important way. When Mr. Stephanopoulos confronted Mr. Gore with the fact that the best estimates of rising sea levels are far less dire than he suggests in his movie, Mr. Gore defended his claims by noting that scientists "don't have any models that give them a high level of confidence" one way or the other and went on to claim -- in his defense -- that scientists "don't know… They just don't know."

So, presumably, those scientists do not belong to the "consensus." Yet their research is forced, whether the evidence supports it or not, into Mr. Gore's preferred global-warming template -- namely, shrill alarmism. To believe it requires that one ignore the truly inconvenient facts. To take the issue of rising sea levels, these include: that the Arctic was as warm or warmer in 1940; that icebergs have been known since time immemorial; that the evidence so far suggests that the Greenland ice sheet is actually growing on average. A likely result of all this is increased pressure pushing ice off the coastal perimeter of that country, which is depicted so ominously in Mr. Gore's movie. In the absence of factual context, these images are perhaps dire or alarming.

They are less so otherwise. Alpine glaciers have been retreating since the early 19th century, and were advancing for several centuries before that. Since about 1970, many of the glaciers have stopped retreating and some are now advancing again. And, frankly, we don't know why.

The other elements of the global-warming scare scenario are predicated on similar oversights. Malaria, claimed as a byproduct of warming, was once common in Michigan and Siberia and remains common in Siberia -- mosquitoes don't require tropical warmth. Hurricanes, too, vary on multidecadal time scales; sea-surface temperature is likely to be an important factor. This temperature, itself, varies on multidecadal time scales. However, questions concerning the origin of the relevant sea-surface temperatures and the nature of trends in hurricane intensity are being hotly argued within the profession.

Even among those arguing, there is general agreement that we can't attribute any particular hurricane to global warming. To be sure, there is one exception, Greg Holland of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., who argues that it must be global warming because he can't think of anything else. While arguments like these, based on lassitude, are becoming rather common in climate assessments, such claims, given the primitive state of weather and climate science, are hardly compelling.

A general characteristic of Mr. Gore's approach is to assiduously ignore the fact that the earth and its climate are dynamic; they are always changing even without any external forcing. To treat all change as something to fear is bad enough; to do so in order to exploit that fear is much worse. Regardless, these items are clearly not issues over which debate is ended -- at least not in terms of the actual science.

A clearer claim as to what debate has ended is provided by the environmental journalist Gregg Easterbrook. He concludes that the scientific community now agrees that significant warming is occurring, and that there is clear evidence of human influences on the climate system. This is still a most peculiar claim. At some level, it has never been widely contested. Most of the climate community has agreed since 1988 that global mean temperatures have increased on the order of one degree Fahrenheit over the past century, having risen significantly from about 1919 to 1940, decreased between 1940 and the early '70s, increased again until the '90s, and remaining essentially flat since 1998.

There is also little disagreement that levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have risen from about 280 ppmv (parts per million by volume) in the 19th century to about 387 ppmv today. Finally, there has been no question whatsoever that carbon dioxide is an infrared absorber (i.e., a greenhouse gas -- albeit a minor one), and its increase should theoretically contribute to warming. Indeed, if all else were kept equal, the increase in carbon dioxide should have led to somewhat more warming than has been observed, assuming that the small observed increase was in fact due to increasing carbon dioxide rather than a natural fluctuation in the climate system. Although no cause for alarm rests on this issue, there has been an intense effort to claim that the theoretically expected contribution from additional carbon dioxide has actually been detected.

Given that we do not understand the natural internal variability of climate change, this task is currently impossible. Nevertheless there has been a persistent effort to suggest otherwise, and with surprising impact. Thus, although the conflicted state of the affair was accurately presented in the 1996 text of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the infamous "summary for policy makers" reported ambiguously that "The balance of evidence suggests a discernible human influence on global climate." This sufficed as the smoking gun for Kyoto.

The next IPCC report again described the problems surrounding what has become known as the attribution issue: that is, to explain what mechanisms are responsible for observed changes in climate. Some deployed the lassitude argument -- e.g., we can't think of an alternative -- to support human attribution. But the "summary for policy makers" claimed in a manner largely unrelated to the actual text of the report that "In the light of new evidence and taking into account the remaining uncertainties, most of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations."

In a similar vein, the National Academy of Sciences issued a brief (15-page) report responding to questions from the White House. It again enumerated the difficulties with attribution, but again the report was preceded by a front end that ambiguously claimed that "The changes observed over the last several decades are likely mostly due to human activities, but we cannot rule out that some significant part of these changes is also a reflection of natural variability." This was sufficient for CNN's Michelle Mitchell to presciently declare that the report represented a "unanimous decision that global warming is real, is getting worse and is due to man. There is no wiggle room." Well, no.

More recently, a study in the journal Science by the social scientist Nancy Oreskes claimed that a search of the ISI Web of Knowledge Database for the years 1993 to 2003 under the key words "global climate change" produced 928 articles, all of whose abstracts supported what she referred to as the consensus view. A British social scientist, Benny Peiser, checked her procedure and found that only 913 of the 928 articles had abstracts at all, and that only 13 of the remaining 913 explicitly endorsed the so-called consensus view. Several actually opposed it.

Even more recently, the Climate Change Science Program, the Bush administration's coordinating agency for global-warming research, declared it had found "clear evidence of human influences on the climate system." This, for Mr. Easterbrook, meant: "Case closed." What exactly was this evidence? The models imply that greenhouse warming should impact atmospheric temperatures more than surface temperatures, and yet satellite data showed no warming in the atmosphere since 1979. The report showed that selective corrections to the atmospheric data could lead to some warming, thus reducing the conflict between observations and models descriptions of what greenhouse warming should look like. That, to me, means the case is still very much open.

So what, then, is one to make of this alleged debate? I would suggest at least three points.

First, nonscientists generally do not want to bother with understanding the science. Claims of consensus relieve policy types, environmental advocates and politicians of any need to do so. Such claims also serve to intimidate the public and even scientists -- especially those outside the area of climate dynamics. Secondly, given that the question of human attribution largely cannot be resolved, its use in promoting visions of disaster constitutes nothing so much as a bait-and-switch scam. That is an inauspicious beginning to what Mr. Gore claims is not a political issue but a "moral" crusade.

Lastly, there is a clear attempt to establish truth not by scientific methods but by perpetual repetition. An earlier attempt at this was accompanied by tragedy. Perhaps Marx was right. This time around we may have farce -- if we're lucky.

Mr. Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT.

Spaniard, do you know what an ad hominem attack is? It is where you attempt to attack the speaker because you can't address the facts. You might as well toss out a sez you, or just go straight to mname calling. And remener you guys think Al Gore is a credible person, so stop with the ad hominem crap.

I prefer to use your sources, like Hansen.

Or I could use this guy...

x, it has nothing to do with ad hominem. People like Graham and Rose have no facts to address. They intentionally misrepresent the findings from scientists. They distort the facts and have been regularly burned, debunked and just plain reamed by scientists over that misrepresentation. Those aren't facts. If they had their own facts (from their own studies) I might cut them more slack.

I never said Gore was credible, but I would trust the results of a panel composed of scientists over a glorified blogger. That's my beef with deniers. There are legitimate people out there (deniers) with a horse in the race (like Lindzman) that are rarely referenced here. Instead you get a series of charlatan blog-writers referenced by deniers (and obviously people on this very forum) that don't withstand a hair of scrutiny.