When will a Fusion Wagon be released??

JimmyL57

It was nice on those long drives home to fold the seats down and have a few kids be able to lay down,stretch out and sleep on the way home.

Well, that's not only dangerous, but illegal in many states now. Yep, it was nice, and we used to do it to. I remember many trips stretched out in the 'back back' of our Bronco.

• 2 months later...

I think I'd buy a Mondeo Wagon that looks as good as this, in Ruby Red.

2014-ford-fusion-wagon-and-mondeo-estate

I have always liked the versatility of a wagon. I've had Benz, Volvo & Passat wagons, & even a Peugeot 404 once. Seems I'm always hauling something somewhere. If this car were available I would have seriously considered it instead of our new (to us) Fusion or even the Edge I have on order. For it to take the place of the Edge it would have to sit a little higher than the Fusion sedan. I'm 6' 1" and & prefer to not drop down into a car anymore. Would need good gross weight capacity (good rear suspension) & good cargo tie-downs like a Volvo XC70. Someone said the wagon would probably run an extra 1500 over sedan, that sounds about right. Marketability? Just because I like them doesn't mean anyone else will, but VW seems to move a fair number of Passat & Jetta wagons, & MB just came out with a small $35,000 wagon, so I would think it would go. I liked the Taurus X as well, but I already had my Pacifica at the time. I like this wagon, to my eye the design is quite pleasing from all angles. I would also be willing to advise Ford in this matter should they feel that they need my help. I'm just that kind of guy.

• 2 weeks later...

mondwag.jpg

Above configuration + AWD + REASONABLE pricing = death to Subaru Legacy/Outbacks, Volvo, Acura, Honda, and a number of useless mid-size crossovers, including my wife's which I would gladly drive off a cliff if it meant getting this wagon. I am sick of hearing "market is not there". I have never been part of any focus group discussing this. Every time I get a survey from Ford it's only about dealership experience: never to suggest anything. Take it another step: owners can go to MyFord to send in ideas. I have sent in one for more Ford-sponsored events and one asking to have a forum on bringing the wagon here. Needless to say, the only one to be acknowledged was the event idea. How on earth does a domestic iconic company provide options to consumers outside of its own country without offering them domestically first? SUV/X-over market only exists because of targeted marketing. Consumers think they want what they are told to get. For lack of options they will buy what is available. I came back from a popular New England area last month. For the fun of it, the wife and I counted Outbacks we saw in 1 town because there were so many: 65 in a week. And no, it was not the same guy driving around the block. :shift:

Trying to out-Subaru Subaru is like trying to out-Jeep Jeep. Their buyers are very loyal and the money it would take to draw them away is much more than the money that would be made in the process.

Ask a Subaru driver what they like about a Subaru and they will probably tell you 10 different things that other cars already do better. In other words, they drive a Subaru because it's a Subaru!

But...they...are...just...so... hideous. I don't know what looks more awful: Outback or Crosstour. It's the same argument as the "no market" though. You don't know until you release something. Yea they have the crazy loyalty. I owned 4 different Subarus myself (no Outbacks), but here I am with a Fusion sedan because it is a better car than the Legacy.

Edited by carsick30

I owned a Subaru a long time ago (Legacy wagon - predecessor of today's Outback). Mine was a good car, but was already having expensive major issues at relatively low miles (traded it in at 113,000). I didn't shop Subaru when looking for its replacement - would have happily kept it longer if it were better built. I did shop them last time I was in the market but they didn't have a good fit for me at the time.

I do know plenty of Subaru fanatics, but most of the Subaru owners I know aren't nearly as loyal as the stereotype. There are a ton of the new XV crossover (which looks like a wagon to me) around my area. I am convinced it is selling on body style, not because it's Subaru. I also see a lot of Toyota Venza around here, which I am convinced after having one as a rental is a Camry wagon. I think the wagon is coming back to the states, but is doing it in disguised form.

Here we go again with the "we don't know if there's a market because nobody is selling them" argument.

There have been plenty of wagons for sale over the last 2 decades including the Dodge Magnum and Accord.

Face it - Americans prefer CUVs and SUVs over wagons by a large margin. You can't argue with facts.

American consumers are sheep driven into what they think they prefer. Magnum was not AWD platform. Subaru and Volvo are which is why you see them EVERYWHERE. Of course, if there are only 2 choices vs 20 in CUV market there will be more CUVs bought. I'm not even counting Honda as 3rd option because that should have been chalked up as a fail and pulled off the market last year. Yea, you can argue. That's the point of arguing.

Edited by carsick30

And what do you call a unibody wagon with AWD? A CUV.

Subaru October 2014 sales. The top 3 sellers are more CUV than wagon which accounts for 31K out of 43K units.

I guess Subaru buyers are sheeple too.

Forester 12,971

Impreza 3,154

WRX/STI 2,085
Legacy 6,362
Outback 12,624
BRZ 435
XV Crosstrek 5,372
TOTAL* 43,012
Edited by akirby

American consumers are sheep driven into what they think they prefer.

So what have you been driven to prefer? Oh let me guess - YOU'RE not a sheeple - it's everyone else that's a sheeple. Got it.

In other words - anyone who doesn't drive what you think they should drive is a sheeple. It couldn't possibly be that people grew up with trucks and SUVs and they prefer CUV styling or the high seating position.

All you're doing is trying to rationalize why wagons don't sell here because you have a personal bias for wagons and against traditional crossovers and suvs. It's the same rationalization the Ranger mafia tried to make to explain the bottom falling out of the small/midsized truck market.

I think we are starting to de-rail here. Let consumers buy what they want to buy, but by withholding more options you leave them with no choice and are effectively making a decision for them while marketing it as consumer's choice. Note how I initially stressed REASONABLE pricing. Outback is overpriced by comparison to Forester. Note how Tribeca is not even listed in there because their sales are dismal and it's a useless CUV, which as it happens the wife is stuck with right now. My bias is not for forcing everyone on station wagons. My bias is to stop acting like you know what I want. Conversely, you can argue bias on the part of CUV culture telling me that CUV is the way to go. I don't think we will resolve this argument and should just agree to disagree. Then again, I don't have the "moderator" moniker so my opinion needs to get discounted. No worries. Just wanted to be heard... As more than half the followers of this thread. I'm sure this will get nowhere, but that's life.

Edited by carsick30

If consumers wanted to buy it, wouldn't Ford (and other automakers) produce it? Why would they just throw those sales away by trying to force customers into a CUV if they really wanted a wagon? Just think about it for a minute. If it was such a hot market and people wanted to buy wagons, then all the manufacturers would produce them. Take the tinfoil hat off and stop thinking they are trying to force you into something you don't want. Manufacturers produce what sells because their primary goal is to make money. If they spend money producing something that doesn't sell, then they lose out, and ultimately, they go out of business if they continue that practice.

I think we are starting to de-rail here. Let consumers buy what they want to buy, but by withholding more options you leave them with no choice and are effectively making a decision for them while marketing it as consumer's choice. Note how I initially stressed REASONABLE pricing. Outback is overpriced by comparison to Forester. Note how Tribeca is not even listed in there because their sales are dismal and it's a useless CUV, which as it happens the wife is stuck with right now. My bias is not for forcing everyone on station wagons. My bias is to stop acting like you know what I want. Conversely, you can argue bias on the part of CUV culture telling me that CUV is the way to go. I don't think we will resolve this argument and should just agree to disagree. Then again, I don't have the "moderator" moniker so my opinion needs to get discounted. No worries. Just wanted to be heard... As more than half the followers of this thread. I'm sure this will get nowhere, but that's life.

Hogwash. There are choices out there. If consumers really wanted to buy wagons then Subaru sales would be through the roof and the other mfrs would be selling them or trying to get them here. The people who want wagons are buying them and the people who want CUVs are buying them and there are many many more of the latter. And their reasons for choosing CUVs is just as valid as your reason for wanting a wagon. My wife drives SUVs and CUVs because she likes the taller seating position. Makes her feel safer (feel being the key word). She would never consider a wagon. Who "told" her that? Who brainwashed her into believing that? Nobody. It's just her personal preference.

Nobody is saying anything against wagons except that the general buying public doesn't like them and there are no statistics or facts you can present to dispute that. The sales figures speak for themselves. If wagon sales suddenly picked up and CUV sales faltered and mfrs starting bringing out more wagons and less CUVs then that's fine too. It's called giving consumers what they want to buy. And if you're only one of a hand full of consumers who want something that nobody else wants then you're not going to find many choices.

Consumers in the U.S. grew up with trucks and SUVs so they naturally gravitated towards CUVs that look more like SUVs but with better ride quality and fuel economy. In Europe they didn't grow up with pickup trucks and SUVs so they like wagons. Nothing wrong with that. In the end it's just personal preference, not brainwashing.

BTW - your "opinion" on whether wagons would sell is not an opinion because there are facts that say when wagons are available they only sell in limited quantities while CUVs sell at tens or hundreds of times the volume.

Your opinion should be limited to whether you like wagons or CUVs or not. Nobody can argue with that. And each person's opinion on that subject is just as valid as anyone else's. The difference is nobody is telling you that you only like wagons because you've been brainwashed which is what you're saying has happened to the CUV crowd.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind a Fusion wagon if it wasn't too much more. A wagon would be more favorable to me than a CUV or anything like that. It doesn't really matter though since it'l probably never happen, that and since I ordered a Fusion yesterday it'll be a number of years till I get something else.

• 2 weeks later...