dashboard rattle and plastic on plastic vibrations

Tazzel

Only have 500 miles on my 2013 Ford escape and the more I drive it the more rattles and plastic on plastic vibrations coming from the dashboard areas. Does anyone else hear all that noise? It is more pronounsed between 45-55 mph. Starting to drive me crazy!

Edited by Tazzel

If you live in a colder climate, you're more likely to start getting rattles as the temps drop. The plastic contracts and doesn't fit as tight. They should stop when the interior heats up, the dash is in the sun, or summer returns. I have a minor squeek on the hard plastic part where the CD player and front dash speakers are.

Yea, I know what you mean. I have had plastic on plastic creaking and clicking coming from the "piano black" high gloss portion of the shifter console and cupholders. The whole console vibrates which you can clearly see with water bottles in the cupholders. Does your's do the same?

Also, now that it's getting colder, there is a noise somewhere in the center of the dash or defrost grid area.

Really dimishishes the feel of quality and build care when a new vehicle does this.

I don't know if I should bother taking it in or not because the techs will tear the whole dash apart and probably do more harm than good.

Actually I think the dealer did cause this. The bottom dashboard panel that meets up with the windshield was warped at purchase. The dealer attemped to fix it but the warp was so bad that they are having to order a new panel. It was after they messed with it that I started hearing all the noise. I am hopping the new panel will fix the problem but I am going to tell them I dont want the car back unless the rattles and rubbing noise is fixed, I dont care if it takes a week a month or a year.

The 2013 Escape has been at the dealer now for 2 days. Working on resolving the rattles and vibrations coming from the dash and passengers front door. I will post with what they find and how they resolved the issue.

They gave me a 2011 Ford Escape with 31K miles on it as a loaner. What a difference with comfort and drive quality, the 2013 far exceeds the older version. I have always like the older Escapes looks but this is the first time I have been inside one or driven one. It does feel like a tough little vehicle but it feels more like a truck, which is ok if that is the kind of drive you’re looking for.

Edited by Tazzel

Got the Escape back today. They told me the Dash rattling was the first aid kit I had in my glove compartment. That i hard to believe since that is in a cloth bag and the only thing in there is bandanges, tape and guaze. However the noise is gone, so even if they are not telling the truth the good thing is it is the noise is gone. The door vibration is still there, they said they do hear it but they cant pinpoint it yet so if it gets louder to bring it back in.

• 2 months later...

as some of you might know I took the buy out for my 1.6L Escape and purchased a 2.0 Escape. I was looking to just get out of the Ford Escape all together because I not happy with the car but I would have lost too much money trading it in for any other vehicle. I have to say that so far (1K miles) that this 2.0L Escape does not have the problems that the 1.6L had as far as rattling and vibration and the panels popping up. Maybe it was built at a different factory. The only difference I can tell in the two vehicles is that the suspension is a little tighter in the 2.0, meaning I feel the bumps in the road a little more in the 2.0. As far as power, it feels the same but I have not driven in the mountains yet either.

So for now I am happy with the new Escape and I don't have the frustration I once had. I am not sure if it was because the first Escape was a 1.6 or it was just some what of a lemon with all the rattling. Now I have lived on both side with people who are having problems and for those that are not.

Build quality is probably geting better as they are learning and streamlining their processes. They are all made at the Louisville, KY plant.

Mine was an early build, and unfortunatly have had my share of rattles so far. Had a new one on a different part of the dash this morning and it sounds like something in the cargo area also, probably the tailgate.

The best vehicles can really disappoint when build quality isn't what it should be.

FWIW - I was worried when I learned my SEL was being built by "C" shift - starting on a Saturday, and finishing on a Sunday. I shouldn't have been. All doors, panels, pieces & parts are aligned, tight. and a perfect fit. No leaks, squeaks, or rattles.

I've owned and driven a lot of vehicles - and after 3,000 miles in New England with this Escape - It's one of the best vehicles I've ever had.

PJ

• 10 months later...

New to this forum. Thrilled to find it!!
I own a 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L AWD with 13k on it. The rattles and noises are driving me nuts, and I cannot get any satisfaction from my dealer. They started in earnest at about 8k miles. Most of them in the dash, as others here have experienced. I also was told by the dealership "It is a characteristic of the vehicle. We cannot fix it." They have verified that the noises are there, and yes, my vehicle is empty. So far they have been unwilling to make any real effort to remedy this. I am currently spending up to $350 to have another auto repair place try to fix this. First thing they found was the center speaker grill was loose, and could be slid side to side about 1/8". How bad is that? But, that did not stop the noises. The BS from the dealership is just not worth hassling with them. Yet! If this current attempt fails, I will be all over them and Ford.
This is my second Ford vehicle in a row with noise/rattle problems. The last one was a '09 Fusion. I can't tell you how many "could not verify" responses I got on the R.O.'s when complaining of noises. A few of the noises I fixed on my own just by taking a little time to hunt it down and pay attention. That should not happen. I am not a trained Ford tech.
If anybody here has finally got the dash noises fixed for sure, please email or PM me. I need this fixed ASAP. I love the vehicle, but if the noises continue I will be getting rid of it.
Any help would be much appreciated!

I gotta say, next to trying to track down an electrical DTC, this has got to be #2 on the list of annoying things about a car.

It could be that because it has gotten so cold that things have shrunk (just ask george costanza)to the point of rattling.

I have taken apart my fair share of interior stuff on my ride and it could be that a clip is not engaged properly, or missing altogether.

If it were me, I would localize the problem and uninstall, inspect, and re-install.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the dealer. Why am I not shocked.

Basically that is what the repair place I am dealing with is doing. Trying to isolate, and deal with one layer of components at a time.

The dealership is highly regarded in this area. I am kind of surprised at their unwillingness to chace this head on. "Characteristic of the vehicle"...yeah right! How naive do they think I am?

Edited by Dave H