Ford September 2012 Sales Flat, retail up 4%, Industry reports September sales

sidebar from an alternative perspective, midway through sept we were SOLD OUT out of 2012 Escapes, 2013s had barely started trickling in, and then we sold out of them...1) no escape inventory. SOLD OUT completely of Transit Connects withing the first week of Sept, 2) no TC inventory. Explorers, in extremely SHORT SUPPLY, no 202a packages for the last two weeks of Sept 3) dealer trade central...refer to #5. fusions...LIMITED SUPPLY entire month 3) shortage, and no 2013s on the lot yet. F-150s...again, LIMITED SUPPLY...NO worktrucks in any configuration anywhere 4) LOST SALES. 5) Dealer trades were the burden of September, it was then we found out literally every dealer was in the same boat. We were told due to plants being idled, slowed for modernization, upfitting and general repair that come mis Sept to expect inventorie shortages.....Sept numbers could have been WAY better....hate having customers and no product....but apparently the floodgates are about to open.

I have the new Ecoboost Edge - and fuel economy of the Escape Ecoboost - is only marginally better.

I added the vista roof on, and so far I meeting the stated mpg and I drove mostly city and in rush hour.

You may find the Escape interior less roomy than the Edge.

That may be true, but was is the towing capacity of the ecoboost edge, does it even come with a tow package. The only reason I have a need for a vehicle like this is to tow my 19" Eastern to Maine and back once a year (spring/fall).

hate having customers and no product....but apparently the floodgates are about to open.

Incidentally, does your dealership's compensation program for commissioned sales personnel have any provisions to ensure a steady paycheck in situations like these (e.g., base salary on top of commission, pull forward plans, etc.)?

In my industry (not automotive retailing), shortage of product due to manufacturer constraints usually mean the salesmen - who are super competitive as it is - start biting each others' throats to close a transaction.

That may be true, but was is the towing capacity of the ecoboost edge, does it even come with a tow package. The only reason I have a need for a vehicle like this is to tow my 19" Eastern to Maine and back once a year (spring/fall).

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/12FLRVTT_EdgeJul21.pdf

Does this help?

I know my 2007 had the option of towing hitch etc

I honestly don't know if this meets your needs...

But I struggle with the idea that the new Escape can tow and the Edge cant?

two words...fine print....

My brother who was telling me about the promo, is a Ford sales consultant at a dealer in Ottawa Ontario Canada and he said no restrictions.

Ford Canada calls it "Delivery Allowance" , so no matter if you are financing, paying cash whatever, the delivery allowance discount applies

EDIT- and he just emailed me saying they are throwing in a set of winter tires and rims, on top of the delivery allowance :headspin:

Edited by MKII

My brother who was telling me about the promo, is a Ford sales consultant at a dealer in Ottawa Ontario Canada and he said no restrictions.

Ford Canada calls it "Delivery Allowance" , so no matter if you are financing, paying cash whatever, the delivery allowance discount applies

EDIT- and he just emailed me saying they are throwing in a set of winter tires and rims, on top of the delivery allowance :headspin:

see i dont count rebates as "discount"...i would put those under savings, and as in any add I would preface the word discount or savings with the word POTENTIAL....words of wisdom, anything that sounds too good to be true usually is...which remiinds me, Salma Hayek gave me her home phone number, have to scoot....where did I put it.....

Incidentally, does your dealership's compensation program for commissioned sales personnel have any provisions to ensure a steady paycheck in situations like these (e.g., base salary on top of commission, pull forward plans, etc.)?

In my industry (not automotive retailing), shortage of product due to manufacturer constraints usually mean the salesmen - who are super competitive as it is - start biting each others' throats to close a transaction.

That would be a big NO aneeker......no sales no $....

So how did the XTS sell as compared to the MKS last month?

XTS: 2,506

MKS: 709

Saw an XTS on the road for the second time today. Though it looks like an updated version of every other Cadillac of the past several years, it's a good looking car.

her you go, edge can tow up to 3500 lb with the right tow hitch....LINK

I know the Edge V6 with the tow package can haul the boat, I already have that, what you can't get is the Ecoboost Edge with the tow package. I had 2001 escape that hauled the boat fine, and the new escape with eb 2.0 Liter has the same tow rating with the towing package.

For me the Escape may make more sense.

Saw an XTS on the road for the second time today. Though it looks like an updated version of every other Cadillac of the past several years, it's a good looking car.

It definitely stands out more than the MKS. I'll give them credit for that.

agreed , hansome car, only weakness IMO is the 3/4 rear....trunk looks a tad too long....rest gets a thumbs up, some nice details....yet to see a MKz yet though...although based on photos im almost ashamed to say I prefer the Caddy..... Edited by Deanh

I was at the NAB Radio Show in Dallas a couple weeks back and the HD Radio guys just happened to have these two competitors sitting right next to each other. I got to dig into these two cars for the better part of three days.

post-6726-0-39751800-1349212670_thumb.png

Thoughts? If I had to choose between the two based solely on non-driving attributes (since they were parked), I would go with the XTS. It is better looking (IMHO) and I liked the interior better. The interior of the MKS feels more "old-school" buttoned-down (but still very nice) whereas the XTS had a similar setup, but just resonated as being more upscale. Outside, the XTS also gets the upper hand on style (again, my opinion).

Granted, one is brand new and one has a design that is multiple years old (even with the recent MCE). I think Lincoln has a good opportunity to get buyers when they translate some of the newer styling into the next gen of cars. The MKS was just released at a weird time for Lincoln me thinks.

• Like 1

agreed , hansome car, only weakness IMO is the 3/4 rear....trunk looks a tad too long....rest gets a thumbs up, some nice details....yet to see a MKS yet though...although based on photos im almost ashamed to say I prefer the Caddy.....

I concur:

2013-Cadillac-XTS---rear-3-4-view.JPG

2013-Cadillac-XTS-side-profile.jpg

The rear looks heavy, which I think comes from both the length behind the rear wheel (as you said) and the short decklid. I did not realize until now looking at the picture above how short it was.

So why don't you answer my question then. Why is it better for Ford to have leftover 2012s with big incentives to get rid of them as the 2013s roll in. Sometimes a small, quick drop in sales is unavoidable without causing other problems.

Sometimes it's better to sell fewer vehicles at a higher profit level. That's the part you seem to have a hard time understanding.

So you have definitive proof that Ford is losing money on every 2012 left, and therefore it's better to have Fusion sales fall off a cliff for a couple months than make enough of them to keep Fusion monthly sales solid and not lose so much market share? Again, Ford didn't do that with Escape as KCAP built the hell out of 2012 Escape before they closed and I doubt if Ford lost money on every 2012 Escape left over. If they did, then they should have closed KCAP early so that Escape sales fell off cliff for months also.

Ford didn't do that with Escape as KCAP built the hell out of 2012 Escape before they closed and I doubt if Ford lost money on every 2012 Escape left over. If they did, then they should have closed KCAP early so that Escape sales fell off cliff for months also.

Well, Ford couldn't do that with the Fusion since it is only built in one plant and it wasn't moving plants, so you can't compare it to the Escape. Get over yourself and think logically for a minute. Now, stretch your arms out, reach them around yourself, and GET A GRIP!

• Like 2

So you have definitive proof that Ford is losing money on every 2012 left, and therefore it's better to have Fusion sales fall off a cliff for a couple months than make enough of them to keep Fusion monthly sales solid and not lose so much market share? Again, Ford didn't do that with Escape as KCAP built the hell out of 2012 Escape before they closed and I doubt if Ford lost money on every 2012 Escape left over. If they did, then they should have closed KCAP early so that Escape sales fell off cliff for months also.

well i for one dont know if they lost money, but they sure did subsidize the $hit out of the units....we sold out pretty damn quickly due to crazy lease programs and financing...September for Escapes was slim pickings for sure...

Well, Ford couldn't do that with the Fusion since it is only built in one plant and it wasn't moving plants, so you can't compare it to the Escape. Get over yourself and think logically for a minute. Now, stretch your arms out, reach them around yourself, and GET A GRIP!

AGAIN, why didn't Ford close down KCAP about 6 weeks earlier than it did if it was losing money on every 2012 Escape sold? As it was, LAP really didn't start shipping until KCAP had been closed down for some time. I would suspect Ford was trying to time it better, but miscalculated with Fusion and thus flat sales for month in year over year comparo. As side note, I did hear from someone today that Troy Ford had a 2013 Fusion come in yesterday....probably to be used as demo model. So they finally are trickling into these parts. I imagine it will take 6-8 weeks at least to build some inventory.

AGAIN, why didn't Ford close down KCAP about 6 weeks earlier than it did if it was losing money on every 2012 Escape sold? As it was, LAP really didn't start shipping until KCAP had been closed down for some time. I would suspect Ford was trying to time it better, but miscalculated with Fusion and thus flat sales for month in year over year comparo. As side note, I did hear from someone today that Troy Ford had a 2013 Fusion come in yesterday....probably to be used as demo model. So they finally are trickling into these parts. I imagine it will take 6-8 weeks at least to build some inventory.

so what do they do with all the engines , transmission and Escape exclusive parts just sitting around?........

Last week I traded in my wife's 2010 Mariner on a 2012 Fusion so I could have a sedan for a change. I didn't know about the 2013's drastic makeover and the $2500 rebate was a deal maker for me so I pulled the trigger on a nice SEL in her favorite color. They had about 6 left to pick from. So today I go by the dealership to pick up some paperwork and a carrier is unloading 2 2013 Fusions. I walked over to where the driver parked them and almost fell over. HOLY S%&* what a difference. I love it. It looks like a different car.

So you guys debating the merits of selling down an older version either before or simultaneous with the newer one's arrival...you are both right. If I had seen the newer version I may have bought it, BUT, after having a $2500 dollar rebate dangled in front of me I might have went for the older version. I see the merits of both your arguments and basically it comes down to Ford doing what it has to do to make the switch as seamless and as profitable as possible for them. Sometmes the consumer wins too.

I know the Edge V6 with the tow package can haul the boat, I already have that, what you can't get is the Ecoboost Edge with the tow package. I had 2001 escape that hauled the boat fine, and the new escape with eb 2.0 Liter has the same tow rating with the towing package.

For me the Escape may make more sense.

So.. its because a tow package is not available on EB Edge...

As opposed to not being able to tow?

That's different - perhaps the new Edge slotted for sometime in 2014/15 will something?

Hermosillo has been running at near 100% capacity for years. How could they have possibly built more Fusions when they're already at max capacity?

They built as many 2012s as they could and they got the 2013s out the door as quickly as possible. There isn't much they could do with only one plant and such extensive changes.

You're not even buying one so why do you care how fast they show up in Detroit?

• Like 1

so what do they do with all the engines , transmission and Escape exclusive parts just sitting around?........

Maybe I missed something, but why would you assume that, if Ford decided it would be profitable to end production sooner, they wouldn't be able to also end production of the vehicle's constituent parts earlier?