Ford September 2012 Sales Flat, retail up 4%, Industry reports September sales

I will update throughout the morning once results are released. RM

Ford:

Forecast up 1.3%

Actual: Unchanged, Retail up 4%

Highlights: 19k Focus, 23k Escape, 969 CMAX, 13k Explorer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM:

Forecast up 2.5%

Actual: Up 1.5%

Highlights: 25k Cruze, 600 ATS, 7,500 Sonic

Chrysler:

Forecast: Up 8.5%

Actual: Up 12% http://www.freep.com...up-12-September

Highlights: Avenger makes 89% jump, Dart moves more than 5,000

Toyota:

Forecast up 33%

Actual: up 42%

Highlights:34k Camry, 23k Corolla

Honda:

Forecast up 27%

Actual: Up 31%

Highlights: 29k Accord, 21k Civic

Nissan:

Forecast up 0.7%

Actual: Down 1.1%

Highlights: 12k Rogue, 900 LEAF

Hyundai:

Forecast up 17%

Actual: Up 15%

Highlights:

Kia:

Forecast: Up 14.5%

Actual: Up 35%

Highlights:

Volkswagen:

Forecast up 31%

Actual: Up 34%

Highlights:

Edited by robertlane
  • Like 1

It looks to me as if the transition from 2012 to 2013 for the Fusion cost at least 10,000 unit., It will take some time to build up inventory but I believe the new Fusion will only help in the future. I am wondering if the the new Escape to taking some sales from the Edge. In all likelyhood the a ew Escape will replace our Edge it a year or two. Better MPG and still can haul 3500 lbs.

It looks to me as if the transition from 2012 to 2013 for the Fusion cost at least 10,000 unit., It will take some time to build up inventory but I believe the new Fusion will only help in the future. I am wondering if the the new Escape to taking some sales from the Edge. In all likelyhood the a ew Escape will replace our Edge it a year or two. Better MPG and still can haul 3500 lbs.

If you add back the 10K Fusion sales and remove Ranger and Crown Vic then sales would be up about 12%. Not bad considering.

Looks like Ford didn't time 2012 Fusion inventory very well with still no 2013 Fusions in sight around here anyway. So they suffered this month in comparo auto sales. Chrysler was only about 30,000 units behind Ford this month when the separation usually is much greater. I have no idea when 2013 Fusions will start showing up at Metro Detroit dealers all the way from Hermosillo. I suspect later in the month, not earlier. Bill Brown, MI largest dealer, doesn't even have any advertising of 2013 Fusion as of yet. Metro Detroit dealers act like Fusion doesn't even exist in their print adertising. 2012 Fusions are gone. Sure hope they are on their way in transit as I suspect it will up to 2 weeks to get here even after put on rail head.

If you add back the 10K Fusion sales and remove Ranger and Crown Vic then sales would be up about 12%. Not bad considering.

Ford needs a good sales trajectory in N.A. with European losses growing and China slowing down. Even Brazil is having problems now. I know the Fusion launch is of utmost importance, but would be nice to see new Fusions showing up around here. I doubt if they sold any in Septembmer with those down numbers.

Looks like Ford didn't time 2012 Fusion inventory very well with still no 2013 Fusions in sight around here anyway.

What's better - having lots of leftover 2012s that need big incentives to sell once the new ones arrive or having one down sales month in between the new and the old?

You really don't have a clue about managing a business profitably - all you seem to care about are sales numbers.

• Like 1

What's better - having lots of leftover 2012s that need big incentives to sell once the new ones arrive or having one down sales month in between the new and the old?

You really don't have a clue about managing a business profitably - all you seem to care about are sales numbers.

And you don't have a clue about your condescending attitude on here. Always the asshole. Again, Ford's timing could have been better. Look for another huge dropoff in Fusion sales this month as new Fusions dribble in. Escape sales were very seamless for most part. Not so with Fusion.

• Like 2

Escape sales were very seamless for most part. Not so with Fusion.

And you wonder why?

There was no single-plant model changeover. KC stopped producing -12 Escape, Louisville started producing -13 Escapes. Compare to HAP: Stopped producing 2012 Fusion (at capacity, no extra wiggle room to beef up stock), went down for changeover, started producing 2013 Fusion.

It's not that difficult.

And you don't have a clue about your condescending attitude on here. Always the asshole. Again, Ford's timing could have been better. Look for another huge dropoff in Fusion sales this month as new Fusions dribble in. Escape sales were very seamless for most part. Not so with Fusion.

Watch the personal attacks. There's a world outside Metro Detroit. Try to consider that sometimes.

At the moment, nation wide dealer stock of Fusion sits at just over 9,700 cars but of that only 2700 are 2012 models. I wonder if the slowdown in sales

was due to the combination of the 2013 Fusion's higher ATPs and no incentives or attractive leasing plans that pushed buyers to go with either the

2012 Fusion or pick up a Focus - both with cash incentives and attractive leasing...I just noticed a post from Deanh in another thread, the 2013 stock

barely at dealerships due to Hermosillo having to change over to completely new model.

Either way, it's good for Ford because the remaining 2012 Fusion stock should be gone before December and that will please dealers no end.

Conversely, I see that there is just over 3,000 MKZ in stock with all of them being 2012 models or older..so all of last month's sales were current model.

Edited by jpd80

And you don't have a clue about your condescending attitude on here. Always the asshole.

Not that he needs defending, but I've known akirby for years, and he's the farthest thing there is from an asshole, and I've been on the opposite side from him before on actually contentious issues.

Back on topic, the deals on the outgoing MKZ must be as good as I've heard; their sales are up quite a bit, year-over-year, even with a brand new car coming in to replace it. The MKS seems to have tanked, though, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the new ones on the street (I still don't like the styling, so I haven't really kept up).

At the moment, nation wide dealer stock of Fusion sits at just over 9,700 cars but of that only 2700 are 2012 models. I wonder if the slowdown in sales

was due to the combination of the 2013 Fusion's higher ATPs and no incentives or attractive leasing plans that pushed buyers to go with either the

2012 Fusion or pick up a Focus - both with cash incentives and attractive leasing...

Either way, it's good for Ford because the remaining 2012 Fusion stock should be gone before December and that will please dealers no end.

Well, since Hermosillo is like 3,000 miles from Detroit, looks like Southwest must be getting bulk of new Fusions since none in sight around here except for those with manufacturer plates on them. It will be nice when Flat Rock plant starts up so that we don't have to wait forever for new Fusions like when it first came out. Dealers got many complaints from customers back then. Fusion is NUMBER ONE SELLING CAR in Metro Detroit, so I would think new Fusions getting here are kind of important to Ford if they expect to have good October sales month. Bill Brown Ford alone can sell 10-20/day no problem with its A plan prowess.

Well, since Hermosillo is like 3,000 miles from Detroit, looks like Southwest must be getting bulk of new Fusions since none in sight around here except for those with manufacturer plates on them. It will be nice when Flat Rock plant starts up so that we don't have to wait forever for new Fusions like when it first came out. Dealers got many complaints from customers back then. Fusion is NUMBER ONE SELLING CAR in Metro Detroit, so I would think new Fusions getting here are kind of important to Ford if they expect to have good October sales month. Bill Brown Ford alone can sell 10-20/day no problem with its A plan prowess.

Sorry corrected my post above, 2013's didn't start shipping until late last week, so obviously, the slowdown had to do with both a lack of stock

coming from HAP due to necessary delay for big change over to all new cars and buyers waiting for the 2013 models. Either way last month's

figures really chopped the guts out of 2012 stock numbers leaving only about 2700 with dealers... that believe it or not is good news because

model is almost run out without needing huge incentives to move stock..So next month's sales will be mostly 2013 stock at full MSRPs...

Edited by jpd80

Cadillac ATS had its first full month but sales were limited to 611, I noticed late last month that dealer stock was mostly priced between $40,000 and $50,000.

Nod doubt that really pulled back sales to buyers really set on owning a uber expensive luxury compact. It willl be interesting to see how many buyers will

pull the trigger on $32,000 to $40,000 versions, I have a hunch the 2.5 I-4 is a huge sales impediment, a 3.0 V6 would have been more appropriate.(IMO)

Cadillac ATS had its first full month but sales were limited to 611, I noticed late last month that dealer stock was mostly priced between $40,000 and $50,000.

Nod doubt that really pulled back sales to buyers really set on owning a uber expensive luxury compact. It willl be interesting to see how many buyers will

pull the trigger on $32,000 to $40,000 versions, I have a hunch the 2.5 I-4 is a huge sales impediment, a 3.0 V6 would have been more appropriate.(IMO)

So how did the XTS sell as compared to the MKS last month? My opinion is that the ATS will do fine with great reviews and it does look good on the road. It will stea some sales away from CTS, but overall it should increase Cadillac montly sales.

I have the new Ecoboost Edge - and fuel economy of the Escape Ecoboost - is only marginally better.

I added the vista roof on, and so far I meeting the stated mpg and I drove mostly city and in rush hour.

You may find the Escape interior less roomy than the Edge.

I have the new Ecoboost Edge - and fuel economy of the Escape Ecoboost - is only marginally better.

I added the vista roof on, and so far I meeting the stated mpg and I drove mostly city and in rush hour.

You may find the Escape interior less roomy than the Edge.

I would say the Edge and Escape appeal to two different customers entirely, and that is good for Ford. I know I'm an Escape type buyer, but not a prospective Edge buyer. I like the footprint of the Escape and it fits my needs better. I would say most Escape buyers feel the same way. Nice for Ford that they cover the whole utility gammit with Escape, Edge, and Explorer. All three top sellers and cover every type of utility buyer.

So why don't you answer my question then. Why is it better for Ford to have leftover 2012s with big incentives to get rid of them as the 2013s roll in. Sometimes a small, quick drop in sales is unavoidable without causing other problems.

Sometimes it's better to sell fewer vehicles at a higher profit level. That's the part you seem to have a hard time understanding.

So how did the XTS sell as compared to the MKS last month? .

I wasn't comparing sales but yes XTS had a good month with over 2500 sales and so too SRX with 4,600 odd sales, (CTS was over 3,000)

Interesting that the products Cadillac appear to have spent the least on actually sell in good volume with impressive ATPs..

I don't share your optimism, I see that Internal competition between ATS- CTS -XTS undermining the plan to increase total sales,

Edited by jpd80