Thunderbird?

saintlaz1

• 2 weeks later...

With the new Mustang coming in a couple more years, I would say there is chance of the new platform being used for a new Lincoln RWD sport sedan and a possible Thunderbird sedan. If you are going to do a RWD Lincoln, you might as well offer a Ford version also called a Thunderbird. The rear seat would be kind of cramped, but that is why you have the Taurus. In this way the next Mustang RWD platform can be fully used and really make the investment pay off and keep their assembly plants super productive.

• 2 months later...

Sigh...

I know I've beaten this drum before, but, seriously...

ford-thunderbird-1322422152-45664.jpg

It's a Thunderbird-- it don't NEED no stinking rear seat!

As long as they don't make it an overweight porkchop with a floaty, Buick-like suspension (like the last generation), it has real appeal, ESPECIALLY now that Ford no longer has to worry about Mazda Miata sales!

What resident of Manhattan, Philadelphia, or Chicago wouldn't want to be seen in a 2500-lb, 1.6L EcoBoost sports car? Small, quick, nimble, eco-friendly, and FUN!

• Like 2

Unfortunately function has to take priority over form in this age of competing for better mileage. I do miss the cars that look like they are rocket ships and are getting ready for blast off. The bullet birds were some of my favorite rocket ships. I have owned Galaxies, Comets and even came close to purchasing a Meteor. I wish Ford would get back to the cool names for their cars. I guess I am OK with Fusion but C-max, seriously!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I find it hard to believe that Ford will never dust off the Thunderbird name and use it again. Maybe not Mulally, but some CEO or two that follows someday. And perfect time to do is if and when Lincoln debuts RWD car. As in past, Thunderbird name can do well as sports car, sedan, or coupe. Maybe coupe for Ford and sedan for Lincoln. If next generation Taurus survives as RWD, you could almost do a coupe, call it a Thunderbird, and do version for Lincoln. Lots of possibilities. The Thunderbird name alone garners lots of attention as in media copy and loyalty from T-Bird lovers and clubs. Much like Mustang and Corvette names. Some Ford CEO sometime will do something again.

• 10 months later...

Sigh...

I know I've beaten this drum before, but, seriously...

ford-thunderbird-1322422152-45664.jpg

It's a Thunderbird-- it don't NEED no stinking rear seat!

As long as they don't make it an overweight porkchop with a floaty, Buick-like suspension (like the last generation), it has real appeal, ESPECIALLY now that Ford no longer has to worry about Mazda Miata sales!

What resident of Manhattan, Philadelphia, or Chicago wouldn't want to be seen in a 2500-lb, 1.6L EcoBoost sports car? Small, quick, nimble, eco-friendly, and FUN!

Thunderbird is not a sedan. It is a concept of open air freedom, for two, in style.

If Ford returned the Thunderbird, retiring baby boomers may recall the feeling of the original '55 Thunderbirds... (I willfully blot my memory of the 70-80s T-Birds). The Ford Thunderbird would compete with the Mercedes SLK & BMW Z4.

Of course, SVT COULD make a 'Vette fighter.... =)

lincoln-mark-x-concept-05.jpg

Edited by joihan777

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sometimes names just need to ride off into the sunset. The last TB I don't think lived up to the TB name of its heyday. These great names just need to remembered for what they were, when they were. No, if they bring back a modernized version of the TB like Dodge did with the Challenger, that would be a cool car to see.

Sometimes names just need to ride off into the sunset. The last TB I don't think lived up to the TB name of its heyday. These great names just need to remembered for what they were, when they were. No, if they bring back a modernized version of the TB like Dodge did with the Challenger, that would be a cool car to see.

I'm curious to see where Dodge goes with the next Challenger. Could be a difficult assignment to redesign a vehicle that pulled so much of its design influence from an older car.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm curious to see where Dodge goes with the next Challenger. Could be a difficult assignment to redesign a vehicle that pulled so much of its design influence from an older car.

Isn't the Challenger being replaced by a Cuda? Supposed to be smaller, closer to the Mustang in size.