Ford August 2012 sales up 13%

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30% of the Cruze sales (7500 units) were rental car fleet sales...that's why they were high numbers in August!

30% of the Cruze sales (7500 units) were rental car fleet sales...that's why they were high numbers in August!

Wow, the beat goes on everytime GM posts decent numbers. It's Obama Motors and his minions create sales mirages. Or they are all fleet sales as no self respecting American citizen would buy from Obama Motors. Or they are all sub prime loans. Or GM is going crazy with incentives and losing money on every car sold and a good quarterly GM profit is Obama fudging with numbers again. Or XTS great first full month sales numbers are only because it's new and no other reason as if all new vehicles have great sales numbers first month out. Or selling almost 3,000 $40,000 Volts is some sort of Obama sales mirage while Nissan is lucky to sell 500 Leafs in a month and Ford is lucky to sell 100 Focus Electrics during same time period. Get a fricking perspective GM bashers that squares somewhat with reality. GM has problems for sure, but they also have bright spots, and small cars, Cadillac with its new XTS and ATS, and some other segments and brands are good signs. Now I would agree that the new Malibu is in trouble with its tight room in back seat area. Big mistake in mid sized segment.

You think GM is in good shape? They're overstaffed, their revenue trails Ford, Chevrolet products are decontented, they just sacked their CMO, they've had riotous turnover in the C-level over the past few years, and they're (naturally) unable to turn profit at the level Ford does in NA.

Not to mention the fact that the government is about $25B upside down in their investment in GM.

Did anyone really expect them to? They were incrementally improved, but not vastly in either case.

And is it too soon to start rubbing the new Escape's success in certain people's faces? :P

Hey I admit I was wrong about the Escape. I don't care for the new feminized look, but the market seems to love it. So can we assume that all 28K were 2013's or are some 2012's still figured into that factor? So will 28,000 a month hold? I guess you are confident.

It will be interesting to see how the new design ages and if sales continue an upward march like the previous model as the years go by. The one thing I still have a hard time envisioning is where exactly do you take a design like the new Escape with an MCE? My guess is the MCE will be very mild and the whole vehicle will be replaced much sooner then the old Escape.

Anyhow I still enjoy my 2011 Escape and it is serving me just fine. It's actually a really good vehicle even though some around here think the old Escape is junk.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Hey I admit I was wrong about the Escape. I don't care for the new feminized look, but the market seems to love it. So can we assume that all 28K were 2013's or are some 2012's still figured into that factor? So will 28,000 a month hold? I guess you are confident.

It will be interesting to see how the new design ages and if sales continue an upward march like the previous model as the years go by. The one thing I still have a hard time envisioning is where exactly do you take a design like the new Escape with an MCE? My guess is the MCE will be very mild and the whole vehicle will be replaced much sooner then the old Escape.

Anyhow I still enjoy my 2011 Escape and it is serving me just fine. It's actually a really good vehicle even though some around here think the old Escape is junk.

Ford in press release stated that about 80% of Escape sales for August were 2013 models. So about 5,600 of the the 28,000 Escapes sold were 2012 MY. Didn't take long for consumers to forget about recalls. The 2013 Escape is off and running.

What sort of supply levels do they have on the Explorer these days? It seems like it's still somewhat supply constrained. Even with an MCE Flex is still disappointing. Are they really going to re-design and continue this vehicle (along with the MKT) when it's time or just focus on the Explorer and hopefully a Lincoln version in the future?

What sort of supply levels do they have on the Explorer these days? It seems like it's still somewhat supply constrained. Even with an MCE Flex is still disappointing. Are they really going to re-design and continue this vehicle (along with the MKT) when it's time or just focus on the Explorer and hopefully a Lincoln version in the future?

Explorer inventory seems low in my area, I never see them at my Ford dealerships and I know they are hot commodities. Some regions are probably struggling to get enough of them.

Flex and MKT are likely to be phased out, they have always failed to live up to expectations and their volume doesn't justify significant investment unless they are determined to make the segment work and feel they have a niche to perfect.

Ford may reposition the Edge to a 7-seater in 2014/15, or come out with another people hauler like the next Galaxy. I don't think the Edge will change form factor (add more seats), but there are always possibilities especially if Ford is interested in a CD4-based global crossover. It'll also be interesting to see how the MKX is handled this time.

Edited by BORG

Explorer inventory seems low in my area, I never see them at my Ford dealerships and I know they are hot commodities. Some regions are probably struggling to get enough of them.

Flex and MKT are likely to be phased out, they have always failed to live up to expectations and their volume doesn't justify significant investment unless they are determined to make the segment work and feel they have a niche to perfect.

Ford may reposition the Edge to a 7-seater in 2014/15, or come out with another people hauler like the next Galaxy. I don't think the Edge will change form factor (add more seats), but there are always possibilities especially if Ford is interested in a CD4-based global crossover. It'll also be interesting to see how the MKX is handled this time.

I don't know how you all feel, but I think the Edge and MKX should remain 5-seaters - maybe I'm in the minority, I don't know....?

Edited by rmc523

I don't know how you all feel, but I think the Edge and MKX should remain 5-seaters - maybe I'm in the minority, I don't know....?

2ic5rw7.jpg

Agree they shouldn't mess with the Edge

(and can't easily believe they would)

tho when the nextgen Explorer comes out,

maybe they could ADD MPV versions based on each as

- a smallish tho still 3-row S-Max and

- a larger than current Galaxy (assuming they change that last name so I don't have to go postal OrElse.gif)

Edited by 2b2

No matter how you spin it, Ford had a great August, 2012 selling new vehicles. I imagine incentives were up there, but Ford seems to be maintaining discipline with incentives and what a great month for Ford. Ford also stated 4th quarter production going up 50,000 vehicles. I would imagine there must have been more left over 2012 Escapes than noted, but still the new 2013 is all over the public roads here in Metro Detroit. For that matter, I see 2-3 2013 Fusions on road around here and 2013 Fusion sales should explode. Ford can't add more Fusion production at AAI fast enough IMO. That is one beautiful car. Hate to say it, and I do like the new MKZ, but the Fusion is so nice not interested in the MKZ at all with that price premium. I could do without retractable roof and push button trans. CCD suspension is nice, but again the 2013 Fusion is gorgeous and so premium looking without the premium sticker price. 2013 Fusion makes the Sonata and Optima look dated.

Apparently there's only about 1900 2012 Escapes left in dealer inventory...

Ford could use some incentives to get the last of them out the door..

Getting excited for Ford and release of Fusion MKZ, I hope they sell a gazillion of them....

Edited by jpd80

It's actually a really good vehicle even though some around here think the old Escape is junk.

Oh, for God's sake. Seriously. That's not what anyone's argument was. You're the one who can't accept time moves on, tastes for the MARKET change and Ford must change with it. You are not Ford's only customer! And while the prior Escape, the current Fusion, et al are all perfectly fine, nice vehicles--they are YESTERDAY'S vehicles. The market demands progress (if not outright evolution) and one ignores those demands at their peril.

Some comparisons:

Versa 9,186

Sonic 8,703

Accent 5,398

Fit 5,020

Fiesta 4,176

500 4,150

Rio 3,602

Yaris 1,454

Cruze 25,975

Civic 24,897

Corolla 24,311

Focus 19,073

Elantra 17,989

Jetta 15,426

Sentra 10,623

Forte 7,300

Verano 5,200

Dart 3,045

Camry 36,720

Accord 34,838

Altima 25,889

Fusion 21,690

Sonata 19,624

Malibu 14,495

Optima 13,949

200 11,997

Passat 10,090

Avenger 7,973

Regal 2,072

Escape 28,188

CR-V 23,877

Equinox 20,231

RAV4 15,685

Rogue 12,626

Terrain 9,143

Tuscon 5,376

Sportage 3,097

Edge 11,603

Santa Fe 4,524

Murano 4,095

Venza 3,687

CrossTour 2,020

Explorer 13,168

Highlander 11,441

Pilot 10,610

Acadia 8,148

Traverse 6,743

Enclave 5,125

Durango 2,884

Edge 11,603

Santa Fe 4,524

Murano 4,095

Venza 3,687

CrossTour 2,020

Edge really hits the sweet spot in its intended market. Hopefully they stick with what is working and try not to make it more of an all-things-to-all-people type of vehicle. The size and packaging is just about perfect for a lot of buyers. Obviously I would hope they evolve the styling and technology, but still as a midsize 2-row CUV.

Edge really hits the sweet spot in its intended market. Hopefully they stick with what is working and try not to make it more of an all-things-to-all-people type of vehicle. The size and packaging is just about perfect for a lot of buyers. Obviously I would hope they evolve the styling and technology, but still as a midsize 2-row CUV.

Isn't most of the concern over the 2015 Edge based on message board speculation? Every single source I have is confident that Edge and MKX stick with their current formula in the migration to CD4 architecture. Program goals are distinctive tophats, dramatic weight loss and increased efficiency, and engaging, brand-advancing styling. I wouldn't be too worried. These guys haven't led me wrong since the Mercury announcement.

Escape 28,188

CR-V 23,877

Equinox 20,231

RAV4 15,685

Rogue 12,626

Terrain 9,143

Tuscon 5,376

Sportage 3,097

2012: Online auto enthusiasts were convinced the 2013 Escape was sure to fail due to "Focus on stilts" styling.

Edge 11,603

Santa Fe 4,524

Murano 4,095

Venza 3,687

CrossTour 2,020

2006: Online auto enthusiasts were convinced the 2007 Edge was sure to fail, due to overlap with Escape and Explorer ("What does it compete with???").

Explorer 13,168

Highlander 11,441

Pilot 10,610

Acadia 8,148

Traverse 6,743

Enclave 5,125

Durango 2,884

2010: Online auto enthusiasts were convinced the 2011 Explorer was sure to fail, due to being "neutered" with a FWD based car platform.

Just sayin'.

Isn't most of the concern over the 2015 Edge based on message board speculation? Every single source I have is confident that Edge and MKX stick with their current formula in the migration to CD4 architecture. Program goals are distinctive tophats, dramatic weight loss and increased efficiency, and engaging, brand-advancing styling. I wouldn't be too worried. These guys haven't led me wrong since the Mercury announcement.

Hope they have their ducks in a row when it comes to the planned weight losses on some vehicles. I know the Edge is a bit of a porker, but the thing feels like a freaking vault inside. Hope it doesn't lose any of that.

Hope they have their ducks in a row when it comes to the planned weight losses on some vehicles. I know the Edge is a bit of a porker, but the thing feels like a freaking vault inside. Hope it doesn't lose any of that.

I'm not too worried. Even the small Focus and Escape feel substantial in their construction.

2006: Online auto enthusiasts were convinced the 2007 Edge was sure to fail, due to overlap with Escape and Explorer ("What does it compete with???").

A better question is, "What competes with the Edge?" Looking at the sales numbers... Not much.

In all fairness, the Equinox is bigger then the Escape, but smaller then the Edge. its roughly the size of a 1990s' Explorer/Blazer...