Some Initial 2013 Impressions (good, bad, and debatable)

pillboy

I would hope that if I have my lights on in any manual position, that they'd stay on - forever. Just like if I have them in the AUTO position, they'll go out after my programed delay.

(and I'd expect a night's worth of parking lights to not drain a new, fully-charged battery...)

Edited by PajamaGuy

Are you sure they were on all night or maybe they just turned back on when you got in range with the IA key?

The morning I found it I was leaving for work with my car and did not have a "key" within range. I then opened the door and turned the switch to "off".

It appears I am wrong on this since the low fuel light came on today at 46 miles to empty. It must be triggered by the position of the float in the tank. It took only 11.72 gallons to fill it and once full it states 275 miles to empty. That sucks for range.

Mine comes on at 37 MTE. I have been down to 15 MTE and put in 11.7 gallons and down to 3 MTE and put in 12.5 gallons, so I suspect that at when it reaches 0 MTE there is 2 gallons in reserve.

electric power steering problem 1600 miles . got in car raining hard NO power steering could just manage to turn steering wheel to get home. next day sunday no dealer open started car steering working fine. monday took it to my super great dealer steering was working fine but wife would no drive it her car.. they took it right in after checing says it had internal failure need new steering rack. now i'm not happy. overnite steering rack installed get receipt . they had to drop engine cradle to get rack changed and 4 wheel alignment done. other than taht my wife lovesw the car 2013 titanium every option but no sun roof now all she does is play with the electonics loves it. just wondered if anyone else had this problem. my luck i got the only bad one......

And speaking of steering, is it just me or do others find that the forward visibility leaves a lot to be desired? With our cars I can put a front wheel exactly where I want it on the road (hitting the apex of a corner for those of you boy-racers), but I am having a lot of trouble knowing where the front tires of the Escape are. For example when you are in the left lane of a pair of left turn lanes and the road you are turning onto has a median with curbing...I prefer to stay close the inside radius of the corner thus giving the other left turn lane plenty of room to make their turn without being crowded. With the Escape I have a hard time seeing this curbing and I tend to run a little wider that I am used to so that I don't curb a wheel. I suspect it is because of the reduced visibility in the lower corners of the windshield. I am not becoming accustomed to this at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally started reading the %$#@ing manual page by page.

I find it interesting that the Information Display will advise you of a "brake lamp bulb fault" and a "low beam bulb fault", but it cannot alert you to a tail lamp bulb being out. My 1994 Camry could alert me to a tail lamp or brake lamp outage (it seems Toyota thought the driver was smart enough to tell if a headlight is out). What decade is this again?

If you have an ignition that operates with an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (a metal key that goes in a keyhole) why do you have an "accessory" position and an "on" position while an ignition that uses an Intelligent Access Transmitter (push button start/stop) you only have an "on" position?

If you turn off the engine while the vehicle is moving (there are specific directions in the owner's guide for doing this in case of an emergency), why does it state that you will experience a loss of steering assistance? The car has electric power steering, not hydraulic. It the engine is off and the vehicle is still moving (the multitude of computers should be able to determine this) why can it not still supply power to the steering until the transmission is placed in park?

If you have an ignition that operates with an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (a metal key that goes in a keyhole) why do you have an "accessory" position and an "on" position while an ignition that uses an Intelligent Access Transmitter (push button start/stop) you only have an "on" position?

If you press the Start button once without your foot on the brake it activates accessory mode.

I don't have that option, but on other vehicles, if you press the button without pressing the brake pedal, you'll be on ''accessory''. You might want to try it?

Ben

Edit: Akirby was quicker than me!

Edited by benlavigne

If you press the Start button once without your foot on the brake it activates accessory mode.

Ford might call it "accessory" mode, but the instrument cluster completely lights up (all warning lights) and the HVAC fan comes on. In older cars with a true accessory mode, these things happen only in "on" or "run" rather than in accessory.

So I've had my Escape Titanium 4WD for 3 days so far and here are some of my observations: (Disclaimer: this is the first SUV I've ever owned and a few of these issues will be based on my experience with my old Ford Fusion Hybrid)

The Bad:

1. Why in the world did Ford not put a small change drawer on this suv? Every other car I've owned has had a small place to put coins.

2. The backup camera seems a bit blurry compared to my old FFH, though there is a lot more going on with this camera.

3. MyFord Touch is way slow compared to Ford Sync 1.0 in my old FFH, its also very difficult to press the corner icons because of Touchscreen is recessed in that cave.

4. I wish Ford would have put the SD card slot somewhere else (hidden), last thing I need is a valet or someone stealing a $200-$300 map sd card, in my old car is was installed onto the hard drive.

5. When hovering my foot over the break while driving I can definitely feel the engine noise.

6. The different color lights (foot-well and door handles) are not really noticeable (yes I have it on the highest setting) vs my old FFH.

7. Its very hard to press the up and down arrows for volume on the right side of the steering wheel with your thumbs if you have small hands.

The Good:

1. Acceleration is amazing

2. Inside build quality is great

3. Leather seats are very confortable

4. Hands Free Tail Lift = Awesome

5. Front lights are great and very bright, most cars I've owned have been pretty poor.

6. Love the push button start/door unlock when getting close to the car, its funny I still find myself acting like I need to turn the keys even though they are still in my pocket.

Edited by howie411

Its very hard to press the up and down arrows for volume on the right side of the steering wheel with your thumbs if you have small hands.

I have steering wheel radio controls in my Legacy and they are much easier to use than in the Escape. The problem with the Escape is that the top of the wheel spoke curves rather than being flat and in the same plane as the wheel rim. If the spoke was flat with the wheel you could press both the volume up and volume down buttons with your thumb. On the Escape wheel you can press the volume down button with your thumb (the press of the button being towards the dashboard), but pressing the volume up button requires your thumb to press the button towards the floor of the car, which is very awkward to do. I have to move my hand from the wheel and press the volume up button with my index finger. This whole thing is easier to demonstrate in person than to describe with words, but I do agree with you.

The miles to empty readout and low fuel light and gauge are really premature in this vehicle, as they had problems on the 2012 Focus customers running out of gas when it was still showing MTE. I was one of them, my Focus ran out showing 7 MTE.

Now they have gone the other direction where it still has about 3 gallons of gas when the fuel light comes on. Usually it's low fuel at 2 gallons on most Fords.

I experience the same with mine as have others with what you have posted above.

My "gas pump" light comes on at 65 MTE. I took it down to zero and drove a couple more miles to the gas station. It took 14.3 Gal. I noticed the gas station icons come on the navi as soon as the warning light on the dash. I like that.

Still under 1000 miles but I took my first road trip of 641 miles from Anaheim Calif to Kingman, AZ and back. Averaged 24.3 MPG. Mostly drove the speed limits but they varied from 65 mph to 75 mph. About a 20-25 mph head wind for about 100 miles w/b/ on I40 yesterday. Not great mileage but acceptable compared to what I'm used from my Jeep and before that my MDX.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that my front passenger door has some misalignment at the top. I took it to the dealer and they agreed but suggested it was a body shop issue. Upon closer inspection I notice that it isn't so much the door that is out of alignment as it is the vertical plastic panel. It seem as though the gasket on the upper edge of the door behind the panel is just thick enough that when the door is closed it pushes out on the top edge of that panel. Anyone else with a similar problem? Thanks.