Some Initial 2013 Impressions (good, bad, and debatable)

pillboy

I use carbon fiber ramps. They lift the car up high enough to slide under, don't require jacking (twice if you don't have a hydralic lift) then placing jack stands and it tilts the engine back so the oil drain is lower than the pan.

Carbon fiber...do you work for a Formula 1 team?

What are manufacturers distributing for factory service manuals these days...paper or digital? I suspect not paper as this one would be like the Encyclopedia Britannica in size.

Ford refers to Helm, Inc website for service manuals, but they don't have it for 2013 Escape yet. The service CD for 2012 costs $170.

Ford refers to Helm, Inc website for service manuals, but they don't have it for 2013 Escape yet. The service CD for 2012 costs $170.

Thanks Leon (looking at the time stamp on your post, you keep odd hours like my wife does). I remember Helm for publications from my last Ford. I looked in the PDF owner's guide but saw no mention of the service manual. I will most likely wait for a year or two to give them time to get newly "discovered" procedures into the manual rather than buy it as soon as it is available. Or do they offer downloadable updates?

Edited by pillboy

Had the engine undertray off yesterday. Just as I thought, a fiddly POS that I wish didn't exist and a pain to get back on without using something to hold up the rear of it whilst putting in the front screws (my little helper was an old plastic Rubbermaid kitchen trash can that was relegated to the garage long ago).

Windshield wipers are interesting as you can move the arms independently when the car is shut off (I haven't tried while it is running) through their entire arcs and I don't mean flipping them up either like wipers have done for a long time. I wonder what kind of system drives these?

I don't particularly like where the battery is located (hidden most of the way under the cowl) as I like to remove it once a year to clean it and the battery cable terminals. A five second look-see didn't reveal how the cover comes off of it, so does anyone know what kind of battery is OEM...regular vented, sealed or an AGM (I doubt it) style? If it is a traditional, vented top-post, I might just have to swap in an Optima or DieHard Platinum. I have had an Optima in my Legacy for 6 years and have not had to remove it to clean anything.

If you were paying attention when you took the undertray off, it has 2 spots at the rear that slide into areas near the rear of the engine to hold the rear of it up while you put in the front screws. I didn't have any trouble putting it back on without assistance.

Windshield wipers are on seperate smart motor for each blade like the focus.

The battery cover comes off very easy if you put some effort into looking.

The HID's in this vehicle are amazing, especially in high beam, they illumiate trees 100 ft in the air over the roadway. Not sure where you are coming from here.

I'll have to look closer at the undertray as I did not notice it slid into anything at the back edge - thanks. That would only make sense as I don't think Ford service technicians have three arms...yet.

I've never seen wipers like that. So I presume I can position them anywhere on the windshield and it will automatically get them in sync so they don't collide with one another...cool.

Does the cover just snap on and snap off? Same thing with the engine cover? I could see no readily identifiable fasteners or clips and the owners guide gives no real clue. I am a little reluctant to just start pulling on things as I don't want to break it. I will look a little closer.

Only the low beams are high intensity discharge bulbs. The high beams are good old H1 bulbs that have been around for decades (and do have great output which is due mainly to reflector design). I was speaking in respect to low beam coverage, reach, and color.

And whenever I see your name I think you are Scandinavian...my eyes miss the first "t" so in my mind you are Sven. :)

Wipers- yes even if you have the wrong one on top the other, they will reposition themselves the next time you start the vehicle.

The battery cover snaps off, pull on the left and right edge while pulling up.

The HID beams have a mechanical shutter on them, that opens fully when in bright mode, the H1 bulbs are extra supplimentation. Turn them on with the ignition in the accessory mode, when you go back and forth to the bright mode you will hear the shutter open and close.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Thanks, thanks, and YOU might hear them, I doubt I can (my hearing sucks). I might have to actually look at them. Interesting, grille and headlight shutters.

I am getting so tired of plodding through the manual, and normally I like that $h!t.

<back from garage> They are noisy little buggers. Thanks for the enLIGHTenment. Is this a new development in HIDs or do they all operate in this fashion?

Edited by pillboy

So far, I'm quite disappointed at the lack of features the Canadian Version of MFT has.. such as the "Services" ie: weather, traffic, fuel etc etc etc is disabled. The Internet connectivity is disabled.. and who knows what else.

Also, the manual clearly states that I should be able to change the keypad code through MFT, but the option just isn't there. Finally, when trying to play a video through the AV jacks, I keep getting a message that says I need to remove the USB device before playing video, however both USB ports are empty. It worked a couple times, but 75% of the time I get the error.

Other than that, I am thoroughly pleased with the vehicle so far, even though I've only got 150kms on it. I've been getting lots of looks and compliments with the Frosted Glass colour. I thought it would be a little on the girly side (my wife chose the colour) but it's actually growing on me.

Hoping to get it up on the hoist within the week to have a look at the belly.

Had the engine undertray off yesterday. Just as I thought, a fiddly POS that I wish didn't exist and a pain to get back on without using something to hold up the rear of it whilst putting in the front screws (my little helper was an old plastic Rubbermaid kitchen trash can that was relegated to the garage long ago). I suggest installing the front screws and working rearward when installing the fasteners since the front is made of more substantial material than the rear portion of the undertray. And how long are those plastic inserts that the screws turn into going to last before they are stripped out? This thing is begging for the Quicky-Lube guys to wreck it in short order. Looks like I won't be able to install an Aeroquip or Fumoto drain device to the oil pan as the drain plug hides in a recess in the pan and I don't think there is enough clearance to screw in a larger diameter device.

You wouldn't happen to know the factory torque specs for both the oil drain plug and filter, would you? I'm kind of anal about using the right torque for that kind of stuff.

So far, I'm quite disappointed at the lack of features the Canadian Version of MFT has.. such as the "Services" ie: weather, traffic, fuel etc etc etc is disabled.

Is it disabled or are those functions just not available through Sirius/XM there? It may not be Ford's fault in this particular case.

You wouldn't happen to know the factory torque specs for both the oil drain plug and filter, would you? I'm kind of anal about using the right torque for that kind of stuff.

Why? It's not like those specs have changed much over the years on any vehicles. Oil filter? Hand tighten. Drain plug? Use the socket until it is hard to twist. Not like either one is going to fail if you over or under torque them a hair. They aren't exactly load-bearing parts...just as long as they don't leak!

Drain plug? Use the socket until it is hard to twist. Not like either one is going to fail if you over or under torque them a hair

You can easily stripe out the threads on the oil pan. The are no longer steel. Changing the crush washer is as important.Filters usually don't have a torque value was the filter adapter would thrown that value off.Service manuals usually state a half or three quarter turn past seating.

Hmmm. Well that's pretty stupid. I haven't changed the oil myself on my Edge yet so...

I've been changing my own oil for 25 years including current 06, 08 and 12 vehicles and I have yet to even come close to stripping threads on the oil plug. Maybe if you used an impact wrench......

You can easily stripe out the threads on the oil pan. The are no longer steel. Changing the crush washer is as important.Filters usually don't have a torque value was the filter adapter would thrown that value off.Service manuals usually state a half or three quarter turn past seating.

While that is true i have been changing my own oil in my 2001 Rav4 seems like forever(204,000 miles,5 speed manual). Changing the washer is very important. As far as torque, I have always just put a little mustard on it till it feels right. Of course, I work with my hands and use hand tools on an almost daily basis so I can gauge what feels "right" as far as torque. i can understand that some folks have no idea what 10, 20, or 30 lbs. of torque "feels" like.

Side note - very excited about my new Titanium!! Sticker says it was built on 09/04, so should be very close!!! i will have to ask cyberdman for an update.

Edited by Escapism

The 2.0 EcoBoost's oil drain plug has a rubber gasket embedded in the plug - no crush washer. A few minutes of Googling turned up little info, but the 2.0 in the 2005 Focus calls for 21 ft lb according to ALLDATA per a post in a forum. I have never stripped out oil pan threads, but I can understand the concern over this as the plug threads on my last Ford did look a little deformed to the naked eye after a few years. Logic would dictate that an auto manufacturer would use a softer metal for the drain plug than for the pan fitting it screws into. Do alloy oil pans have the threads cut into the pan material itself, or is there a threaded steel insert mounted in the pan where the plug fits into?

The FL-910S Motorcraft oil filter (I do plan on using OEM filters rather than aftermarket) has no info on the filter itself, but the pictogram instructions on the box shows an additional 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket contacts the mounting base (a very common specification). I usually make a mark with a Sharpie on the filter when it contacts the mounting surface. This then gives me a reference point for the additional tightening (the OEM Subaru filters I am accustomed to have 1/8th turn markings printed on the filter itself - something that all manufacturers should do).

^ Thank goodness i don't have to worry about those crush washers anymore. And I like the idea of markings right on the filter itself. Almost bought a Subaru cause i love driving a manual so much and you can still get one from them pretty much loaded if you want. All the other manufacturers that offer SUV's with manuals don't offer any options, its just a bare bones SUV. That is until I saw the new Escape, and the rest is history. :heartbreaker: This will be the first non-manual i have ever driven!

Edited by Escapism

My Explorer had a similar setup although I change the oring from time to time.

1/8th turn markings printed on the filter itself

In many cases you can't see much of the filter.Experience will tell you when it's tight enough. Cleaning off the flange is just as important. But I stopped changing the oil in my cars years ago. Easier to bring them down the road to a local guy with a lift. All I do now are the bikes.