Ford Reports July '12 Sales

Ford fans can take heart that Ford remains within 30,000 sales/mth of GM,

by maintaining discipline on incentives and increasing ATPs with new models

and limiting sales to fleets. Well done Ford.

Ford (Combined) 173,966

GM (Combined) 201,237

Caprice PPV is finally getting a move on with 500 sales...

You could also look at it with alarm that Toyota is effectively outselling Ford by a significant margin 5 months in a row now.

Ford (Combined) 173,966

Toyota (Combined) 164,898 + Subaru 25,183 = 190,081

GM (Combined) 201,237

You could also look at it with alarm that Toyota is effectively outselling Ford by a significant margin 5 months in a row now.

Ford (Combined) 173,966

Toyota (Combined) 164,898 + Subaru 25,183 = 190,081

GM (Combined) 201,237

No offense........................... but were you in a coma last year?? There is a very easy reason why Toyota/Honda sales are up so much, and GM and Ford are not. It is the tsunami. Last year was an anomaly for many months, and is not representative of the actual volumes for Ford and GM cars. Toyota always ran close to Ford...................... heck, there was a time when they outsold them.

So, them running close is NO SURPRISE at all. That some news agencies want to use these "sudden" percentage increases as some epitome, is assinine.

No offense........................... but were you in a coma last year?? There is a very easy reason why Toyota/Honda sales are up so much, and GM and Ford are not. It is the tsunami. Last year was an anomaly for many months, and is not representative of the actual volumes for Ford and GM cars. Toyota always ran close to Ford...................... heck, there was a time when they outsold them.

So, them running close is NO SURPRISE at all. That some news agencies want to use these "sudden" percentage increases as some epitome, is assinine.

Do you have some sort of reading comprehension problem? I was just pointing out the Ford falling 30k unit behind GM is not something to brag about when Toyota is even closer to GM.

I'd sooner Ford be a solidly profitable 2nd or 3rd than be a bankrupt winner..

Edited by jpd80

Toyota owns 20% and has effective management control.

The stake is 16.5%. (Perhaps someone better versed with japanese corporate law could shed some light on why 33% seems to be the magic number with regards to "effective management control"?)

Regardless, you're the only person I've ever seen combine Toyota and Subaru as if it was a wholly-owned subsidiary - and you happen to do so in a way to support a point of view that only you have. Which makes me suspect about the degree to which that stake is considered "controlling".

• Like 1

Ford held 33.4% of Mazda, which I believe was considered 'controlling' because Ford could effectively veto any board actions it disagreed with. When paired with the 'silent partner' status of the other leading shareholder (the Sumitomo Bank), it meant Ford basically ran Mazda.A

Also, I have no idea if 33.4% is unique to Mazda, or a general feature of stock companies in Japan. Renault holds 44.3% of Nissan, but that's basically enough to ensure de facto control of the company, even if the board's actions are decided on a simple majority.

Edited by RichardJensen

Ford held 33.4% of Mazda, which I believe was considered 'controlling' because Ford could effectively veto any board actions it disagreed with. When paired with the 'silent partner' status of the other leading shareholder (the Sumitomo Bank), it meant Ford basically ran Mazda.A

Also, I have no idea if 33.4% is unique to Mazda, or a general feature of stock companies in Japan. Renault holds 44.3% of Nissan, but that's basically enough to ensure de facto control of the company, even if the board's actions are decided on a simple majority.

It's part of Japanese business law..