Ford Reports July '12 Sales

Not bad...Lincoln took a little bit of a hit, but strangely, the MKT was up.

Ford looks good...the Police Interceptor Sedan is selling pretty well. The Fiesta is still taking a beating sorta...hopefully we'll see refresh next year, since I'm assuming new Focus sales are eating into it.

Not that impressed by the Fusion sales...I've seen a ton of advertising for special $199 lease rates for a Fusion, or $19999 Fusion SE's for sale. Just blowing out current stock before the new and improved Fusion comes along in another 60 days or so.

I'm not impressed because it was from special lease and financing rates blowing out old models before the new car come in the fall....I'd hope they add 3-4K sales a month if they where doing that.

Last I saw job 1 for the 2013 fusion is less than two weeks from now so th.e total number of 2012s might already be low or people that can wait for the 2013 are waiting

I'm not impressed because it was from special lease and financing rates blowing out old models before the new car come in the fall....I'd hope they add 3-4K sales a month if they where doing that.

It's still a July sales record. It's not like this is the first time the Fusion has ever had incentives on it. Wasn't July a Cash-4-Clunkers month a couple years back?

Overall, Ford Motor Company sales were down 4 percent in July due to lower fleet sales. Fleet sales were down 16 percent. Retail sales were up 2 percent.

We are starting to run into 'transition' volume issues with old Escape, Ranger, and Crown Vic sales gone.

Overall, Ford Motor Company sales were down 4 percent in July due to lower fleet sales. Fleet sales were down 16 percent. Retail sales were up 2 percent.

We are starting to run into 'transition' volume issues with old Escape, Ranger, and Crown Vic sales gone.

Would you really call them "issues" though? Sure, Ford's sales might have been up if they had a bunch of useless Panthers to throw into fleets, but what does that really accomplish?

Would you really call them "issues" though? Sure, Ford's sales might have been up if they had a bunch of useless Panthers to throw into fleets, but what does that really accomplish?

Well, Ford wasn't able to offset fleet and discontinued models with retail sales which is still an issue, but not the end of the world. The biggest hit is Escape sales which are down significantly because of the transition to the newer model which is not filling inventories yet and is hardly a bargain bin buster like the old model.

We know Ford is going to loose some market-share this year, probably more so than it did last year or GM this year. But they need to get into a growth position in 2013.

Edited by BORG

It's not like this is the first time the Fusion has ever had incentives on it.

The current (2010-2012 MY) Fusion has always had very competitive incentives for individual and fleet customers alike ever since it was released in calendar year 2009. Its popularity is well deserved.

Well, Ford wasn't able to offset fleet and discontinued models with retail sales which is still an issue, but not the end of the world.

If ATP is up, selling a few less cars is a complete non-issue.

The biggest hit is Escape sales which are down significantly because of the transition to the newer model which is not filling inventories yet and is hardly a bargain bin buster like the old model.

Let's also remember that Escape inventories are low and they were affected by do-not-drive status on several thousand 1.6 EB models in dealer stock. That alone likely hit it worse than anything else in the second half of the month.

We know Ford is going to loose some market-share this year, probably more so than it did last year or GM this year. But they need to get into a growth position in 2013.

We'll have to wait and see in 2013...

Edited by NickF1011

Like Nick said, it's not an issue for profitability. However, it is an issue for growth and market share, and indirectly, stock price.

One thing is clear, though, the Ranger volume (customers) is lost, they are not going to F150 or TC.

Ranger 413 6,410 -93.6% -5,997

F-Series 49,314 49,104 0.4% +210

Trans Con 2,627 2,607 0.8% +20

Like Nick said, it's not an issue for profitability. However, it is an issue for growth and market share, and indirectly, stock price.

The only way stock price will be impacted at all is if the profitability per vehicle isn't enough to overcome a decline in sales, which doesn't seem to be the case so far.

One thing is clear, though, the Ranger volume (customers) is lost, they are not going to F150 or TC.

But lost to what though? We've brought this up in previous months. They haven't demonstrably gone running to Toyota, Nissan, or Ram either.

Seriously? Try that again:

YTD 2012/2011: F-Series 350,455 313,183 11.9

YTD: 2012/2011: Ranger 18,855 36,442 -48.3

The F-series has seen an increase in sales that has eclipsed the total amount of Rangers sold in 2011 to July of that year...

YTD: 2012/2011: Transit Connect 19,581 17,762 10.2

Edited by silvrsvt

To compare:

Fiesta: 4,059

Sonic: 6,278

Focus: 16,454

Cruze: 14,954

Fusion: 23,326

Malibu: 12,345

F-Series: 49,314

Silverado: 28,972

Mustang: 7,371

Camaro: 6,926

Explorer: 11,313

Flex: 2,318

Traverse: 5,746

Acadia: 7,390

Enclave: 4,360

Escape: 21,572

Edge: 9,177

Equinox: 19,906

Edited by PREMiERdrum

If I was a Chevy person, and had to continuously watch those absolutally hideous Chevy "dealership" commercials...................... I wouldn't buy one of their trucks either.

Over at "DillusionalInsideNews.com" the Silverado is doing great considering how old it is, and the 2013 Malibu may make it possible for Chevrolet brand to overcome Ford brand in sales. Yes, someone did actually say something akin to this.

Frightening, I know.

Silverado was only abot 5000 units ahead of the Ram. Don't know if that has ever happened...at least not recently.

Yeah, it's been a while, if ever. The interior of the GM's are so outclassed by even the Ram, it's just pathetic, and it doesn't seem to be changing for '14 based on spy shots! Only the blind loyal GM folks keep buying them. They obviously haven't stepped backside in a competitors product...

The interior of the GM's are so outclassed by even the Ram, it's just pathetic, and it doesn't seem to be changing for '14 based on spy shots!

Do GM pickup truck interiors have a reputation for poor durability or wear & tear? The F-150 XL work trucks in my employer's fleet have held up well after two years of rotations at plant sites. I don't have any personal experience with GM trucks, but since they are the company's best selling products, it seems GM should know how to design an interior that can handle the rigors of typical pickup truck duty.

Do GM pickup truck interiors have a reputation for poor durability or wear & tear? The F-150 XL work trucks in my employer's fleet have held up well after two years of rotations at plant sites. I don't have any personal experience with GM trucks, but since they are the company's best selling products, it seems GM should know how to design an interior that can handle the rigors of typical pickup truck duty.

Umm, it's not just about "rigors of typical pickup truck duty" any more, because the rules of typical pickup truck duty have changed drastically. More and more trucks are higher-end trucks that perform double-duty of work and play. Just being durable and rugged don't cut it any more. Sure, GM's may be durable, but why buy a truck with an interior that looks 10-15 years old when you can have something attractive, yet still durable and easy to use. Of course, GM's truck interiors have always been horrible...at least as long as I can remember.

Why can't you have durable, rugged, and attractive with high-quality materials? Ask GM, because Ford already knows you can.

Edited by fordmantpw

Actually, according to many who use their GM trucks for work............................. no, the interiors do not hold up well.

That is one of their many complaints with this generation of truck.

Along with the thin sheetmetal, outdated engines and transmissions, styling...

Ford fans can take heart that Ford remains within 30,000 sales/mth of GM,

by maintaining discipline on incentives and increasing ATPs with new models

and limiting sales to fleets. Well done Ford.

Ford (Combined) 173,966

GM (Combined) 201,237

Caprice PPV is finally getting a move on with 500 sales...

Edited by jpd80