2013 Escape wheels specs

PJ-

Every Escape I have looked at has Continental ContiProContacts on them. Until you have driven AWD on dedicated winter tires you have no idea of the treat awaiting you (I have had them on my Legacy GT for the past 6 winters). And not all all-season tires are great in snow. Snow tires give you an added edge of staying out of trouble and avoiding an accident and insurance deductible.

Edited by pillboy

I called Canadian Tire in Fort Frances this morning and they get their steel wheels from Robert Thibert Inc (not sure if that is true for the whole CT chain or just that store). Thibert's website really gives no steel wheel information to the casual visitor without a customer login.

A few tire dealers in the Minneapolis area have never heard of Macpek. Macpek's website claims they are the "largest aluminum and steel wheel distributor in North America". Last I checked, Minneapolis is in North America. Hmmmmmmm.

Maybe I will end up going to Thunder Bay rather than International Falls. Need to make some more phone calls. Macpek's website makes it appear they have Saturday phone service, but they only give you an option of leaving a message. I might have to call them Monday morning and ask for a list of retailers of their products.

Edited by pillboy

2 Questions:

1. What brand/model tires come on the SEL AWD?

2. Does anyone with AWD really need winter tires? (and yep, we get snow in Mass. And I used to live in Vermont, and now travel back & forth. ) - Seriously, doesn't the SEL AWD come with all-season tires?

I haven't checked the Brand of the tires yet but I assume that Pillboy is right with Conti. However, I believe the composition for Wintertires is a bit different than all seasons. I had them on last winter and compared to all season I love to have that extra grip they provide. Besides that we get temperatures easily around -20 to -30 degrees celsiuis.

AWD plus the wintertires would just work perfect.

Still got a bit time 'till then but right now I'm just happy that we ordered the car and can't await 'till it is here. Its btw a SEL AWD in Kodiak Brown (I know not everyone like that colour but I do). :headspin:

cheers

I called Macpek this morning and their 17 inch steel wheel for the Escape is not currently available yet. Expected availability is mid-November. Width, offset and center bore are all identical the OEM. They were able to give me a source local to me in Minneapolis, Pioneer Rim and Wheel. http://www.pioneerwheel.com/index.htm

Since Macpek is an OEM supplier, I suspect all of their product is currently going to Ford to build new vehicles and supply to the aftermarket will happen later.

On the subject of Winter tires v. All-season: No contest there, All season tires are neither good Summer or Winter tire, compromise all the way!

Dedicated Winter tires are the best way to go if you get any snow, plus even if you keep the All-season in the Winter, you'll have to buy replacements at a certain point, might as well do it now and have the best set-up for every situation... Anyway the point is moot here in Quebec, as we have to have snows by law, between 12-15 and 04-15.

On the subject of replacement wheels, here is an interesting site I found that lists interchanges : http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=&StudSpreadMM=108

Not up to date, as the 2012 Focus could be listed also (and our 2013 'Scapes, too!).

I'm looking at Volvo wheels now, the center hole is slightly bigger, and there are plenty of good used ones available for roughly the price of steel wheels.

Ben

I'm still gonna go with steel wheels as I have had issues with corrosion in the bead sealing area causing slow leaks on our Outback's alloys (I have had to have one fixed almost every year the past few years). If I ruin an aftermarket alloy, it can be hard to find a matching one if they are discontinued. Steelies are easier to balance (inner and out edges to accept crimp weights rather than using stick-on weights). If we curb a wheel, we ruin a less expensive and more easily replaced wheel cover rather than a wheel. Alloys show unsightly corrosion under the clear coat once the clear gets damaged. Just my opinion.

I borrowed a steel winter wheel from my boss' Volvo XC to try them on.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

First of all, the bolt pattern is the same, at 5 x 108, and the center hole is only slightly bigger, which makes them non-hubcentric, but I personally don't think it's a biggie, from many years of experience, as long as you are careful when putting on the lug nuts.

The offset is also correct, I did not measure it, but from the markings, it looks like it would be 49mm.

The wheel I tried was 7'' x 16'', and it cleared the caliper, but barely! I would have liked to go 16 to get a taller/narrower tire, but I will probably go 17.

I'll share more pics when I do find the mags/tires setup.

Ben

Edited by benlavigne

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a hold of a set of 18 x 7 x 49mm offset Volvo XC90 alloy wheels for not much more than steel wheels.

I will use 215-55-18 tires, which are exactly the same diameter as the stock 235-50-18, at 27.3''. Those are narrower and more widely available, as they are OEM on many other models. I found that there was not much choice in 16'' (225-65).

I'll post pics when they are on the car, I need to find a set of round FORD decals to cover the Volvo emblems!

Ben

Edited by benlavigne

Just got a hold of a set of 18 x 7 x 49mm offset Volvo XC90 alloy wheels for not much more than steel wheels.

I will use 215-55-18 tires, which are exactly the same diameter as the stock 235-50-18, at 27.3''. Those are narrower and more widely available, as they are OEM on many other models. I found that there was not much choice in 16'' (225-65).

I'll post pics when they are on the car, I need to find a set of round FORD decals to cover the Volvo emblems!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Just purchased a set of Ford OEM Escape SE 17" Alloys ( 1007-A ) w/center caps and TPMS sensors plus 235-55-17 Goodyear Ultra Grip tires with installation/balancing from a Ford Dealer in Laval, Quebec for $1665.00 all taxes in. You may want to look into this deal real quick before they run out.

Here you go, Volvo alloys with 215-55-18 on a 7'' wide wheel, you can barely see the difference in width...

Need to get some Ford decals for the center caps, the Ford ones don't fit the Volvo wheels...

IMG01268-20121018-1249.jpg

IMG01267-20121018-1249.jpg

IMG01266-20121018-1249.jpg

There is a message in the screen between the gauges at start-up that says Tire Pressure sensor fault, for which you have to press OK , and the TPMS light stays on afterwards, but no other problem with the absence of TPMS sensors...

Bring on the snow!!!!

Ben

Here you go, Volvo alloys with 215-55-18 on a 7'' wide wheel, you can barely see the difference in width...

Need to get some Ford decals for the center caps, the Ford ones don't fit the Volvo wheels...

IMG01268-20121018-1249.jpg

IMG01267-20121018-1249.jpg

IMG01266-20121018-1249.jpg

There is a message in the screen between the gauges at start-up that says Tire Pressure sensor fault, for which you have to press OK , and the TPMS light stays on afterwards, but no other problem with the absence of TPMS sensors...

Bring on the snow!!!!

Ben

Hey Ben,

Those Volvo wheels look sweet. A very nice choice. Which snow tires did you get?

Thanks for the update on the TPMS issue.

MB

Edited by Master-Blaster

They almost look like the Ford wheels... I got a great deal on Toyo Observe GO-2 that have between 11 and 12/32nd (new is 12!).

A local shop buys the winter tires that the rental companies put on in winter when they take them off in the Spring, sometimes with less than 2 000 kms...

Ben

No, but the 16" rims clear the brakes. I am not using wheel covers, but would like to find a cover for the hubs instead of it surface rusting.

I am curious too as to what kind of hub cap (dog dish, poverty cap, etc) fits current steel wheels. I think Crown Vics used for police duty had small stainless steel hub caps. I have also thought of using 1950's vintage, small hub caps on the steelies for an interesting modern/retro look.

Let me know what you come up with.