2013 Escape Accessories/Mods

transitman

pillboy, what film did you choose, was it VentureShield? Can headlights also be covered?

I'll have to look at my paperwork. I believe there has been some consolidation in the industry (did 3M buy VentureShield???), but I do know that is is a 3M branded product and I am not sure if 3M markets more than one product under the 3M name.

What is cool is that this film has a coating on it that mimics clearcoat. Etching (say from bug guts left on too long) can be wet sanded out and the film buffed back to a crystal clear state.

The installer we used does not do lights and the computer patterns I saw when I was there did not have patterns for them either. I have had product applied to head and fog lights on two cars in the past by an installer (different company), but I don't know the brand of it. A quick Google and I found Xpel and Lamin-X make this stuff in precut kits. It does a great job protecting the headlights as I removed the film from one of the cars - like haveing brand new lights. The film will degrade over time and lose its clarity. I'm not sure I will do it to the Escape. The stuff on our Subarus is really thick - I would guess twice as thick as the paint film, maybe more. I don't know if the Escape's fog/park/turn clusters low on the bumper are glass or plastic lenses (I keep forgetting to check), but I would only do glass lenses in the future as they are more prone to breakage as opposed to plastic lenses.

Just got home. All front lenses on the Titanium are plastic.

I was ahead of a new Escape on the freeway one day and it looked to me that the front turn indicators were LEDs. They are regular incandescent bulbs on the Titanium. Was I imagining that or dreaming?

There is a base Escape in the parking lot at work. No trim designation on the liftgate. Do they not place an "S" badge for that trim?

Edited by pillboy

If anyone with the totally pathetic OEM all-weather mats is interested in Husky Liner's WeatherBEATER floor liners, but is balking at the $170 price tag for the front and back set, I sent an email to them asking if the fronts were available separately. The reply was that they would sell fronts only for $90 shipped. I will be ordering on Tuesday.

If anyone with the totally pathetic OEM all-weather mats is interested in Husky Liner's WeatherBEATER floor liners, but is balking at the $170 price tag for the front and back set, I sent an email to them asking if the fronts were available separately. The reply was that they would sell fronts only for $90 shipped. I will be ordering on Tuesday.

I ordered from autoanything, the husky's weatherbeater floor and cargo liners for a total of $187 for both.If you enter your email at the bottom left of thier welcome screen, they will send you a new customer 15% discount code.The package is sent from the manufacturer in kansas.I should receive the floor liner on Tuesday,they haven't shipped the cargo liner yet.

Edited by boppergee

Does anyone know if WeatherTech is planning on making their DigitalFit all weather floor liners for the '13 Escape? I have these for my wife's Honda Odyssey and they worked out very nicely. Lots of coverage and easy to clean.

Anyone else have an opinion of the WeatherTech's? Thanks much.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if WeatherTech is planning on making their DigitalFit all weather floor liners for the '13 Escape? I have these for my wife's Honda Odyssey and they worked out very nicely. Lots of coverage and easy to clean.

Anyone else have an opinion of the WeatherTech's? Thanks much.

I really like the Weather Tech mats. I emailed them regarding availability but did not get a response. I didn't want to wait too long so I went with the Husky mats.

• Like 1

Ditto on the Husky's - After reading the reviews - I ordered them $220 for Front, Rear, and Cargo (delivered) -

(and I did speak to WeatherTech - They're not making them yet - but expec to this month) - If you really are hard-over on them - call them and get on their emailing list.

The Husky liners showed up today via FedEx (Saturday delivery!). These (especially the driver's liner) are SO much better than Ford's all-weather mats.

Applied Wolfgang's paint sealant to the Escape after removing the badges from the liftgate...much cleaner look and no unsightly crud between the letters.

Installed the front and rear splash guards (thanks Costco, for the $50 gift certificate) and I do have to disagree a bit with Transit on the install. The pictogram installation instructions (from Germany) leave a little to be desired as far as details. On the front guards, there are four body fasteners that have to be removed. Two are of the "Christmas Tree" variety (see attached images from Google, which are not exact, but similar) and two are of the two-piece design. On the two-piece ones, the pieces are not meant to be separated (even though they come apart from one another fairly easily). You pull out the center part about 3/8' to 1/2" and then pry out the whole fastener (what Transit called the "anchor"). When you put this type on fastener back in, you keep the center part extended, and push the fastener into the hole and seat the outer part all the way in. Then you press the center part down flush and this spreads the outer part on the back side of the hole thus preventing it from coming out. There is a tool made especially for "digging out" these types of plastic fasteners and it works worlds better than using a screwdriver or your fingernails.

I think we have all of our "protection" now installed and can start using the car on a regular basis.

post-48280-0-52017400-1347156305_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-78637000-1347156314_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-98494000-1347156322_thumb.jpg

If you buy a Ford using the Costco Auto program (new or certified) they'll send you a thank you email. You reply to the email with the VIN of your new vehicle and they send you a digital coupon worth $50 in either parts, service or accessories at the dealership where you bought the vehicle.

Edited by dtorres

I REALLY hate that black, textured plastic cladding (and my own stupidity). When I was detailing the Escape this weekend, I came across some tar on the cladding. I used something to remove it that I had previously used on our Subarus with no issues and it made a light spot on the driver's door cladding. Not real noticeable, but I know it's there...and so does my wife since I had to come clean with her (she didn't bust my @$$ as bad as I did to myself). I stopped at the Ford dealer today...that freaking piece of "cheap" molded plastic is $90.xx plus tax! :drop: I have to think about that. I did buy some Motorcraft bug and tar remover though.

I REALLY hate that black, textured plastic cladding (and my own stupidity). When I was detailing the Escape this weekend, I came across some tar on the cladding. I used something to remove it that I had previously used on our Subarus with no issues and it made a light spot on the driver's door cladding. Not real noticeable, but I know it's there...and so does my wife since I had to come clean with her (she didn't bust my @$$ as bad as I did to myself). I stopped at the Ford dealer today...that freaking piece of "cheap" molded plastic is $90.xx plus tax! :drop: I have to think about that. I did buy some Motorcraft bug and tar remover though.

Some good exterior vinyl cleaner and a tooth brush should get that residue off. I think I read someone used Windex on it too.

Ditto on the Husky's - After reading the reviews - I ordered them $220 for Front, Rear, and Cargo (delivered) -

(and I did speak to WeatherTech - They're not making them yet - but expec to this month) - If you really are hard-over on them - call them and get on their emailing list.

I spoke to WeatherTech tonight. They said that they have taken all of the measurements on the 2013 Escape and it's now in engineering to create the tool for it. They said they should be ready in 9 weeks or less.

Try Mother's Back to Black. I love this stuff, made the plastics on my '06 Escape look new again.

I think I damaged the texturing too as I can also feel the spot...it seems like it would look better with a product with a dye in it. Back when vinyl tops were all the rage (really dating myself now), there was a black colored product you applied to the vinyl, let dry and then buffed off...think Kiwi for cars. I have tried a variety of black trim renewal products over the years (Wolfgang's is my newest addition) and the good ones all seem to be some sort of liquid silicone and they do work and it looks nice until the weather wears it off. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I purchased the Husky Weatherbeaters Front and rear floor mats and the cargo liner. These have the scoop on the edges so water does not get under the floor mats and the Husky's also covers the fake petal in drivers side area where you normally rest your left foot.

I purchased the Ford front and rear splash/mud guards after purchased. They are both easy to install but the front ones are a loose fit. I am going to check with the dealer to see how they solve this problem using glue or double sided tape. I purchased the industral streath 3m tape and it did not hold at all.

Edited by Tazzel

Anyone have any suggestions for a cargo liner that can also cover the backs of the back seats when folded down? I'm looking for something that'll protect the back from wet pets, so rubber would be good. Lloyds rubbertite cargo liners look good, but they don't seem to offer one for the Escape that covers the backs of the seats (they only seem to offer those for vehicles with third-row seating). Any other ideas?

Anyone have any suggestions for a cargo liner that can also cover the backs of the back seats when folded down? I'm looking for something that'll protect the back from wet pets, so rubber would be good. Lloyds rubbertite cargo liners look good, but they don't seem to offer one for the Escape that covers the backs of the seats (they only seem to offer those for vehicles with third-row seating). Any other ideas?

Try this site: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/pet-travel.cfm

• 2 weeks later...

Hey PillBoy!

Since I'm still at least 3 weeks from delivery, I have too much time to worry about things.... like, I'm getting the White Platinum Tri-Coat SEL with Light Stone interior. I ordered and received the tan Husky Weatherbeaters floor & cargo liners. I got a request-for-review from CarID and in the email is a picture (very small) of the tan liners. For the floor mats, there's no issue, but the carco liner is tan-on-dark gray.

Got me to thinkin' and spent too much time looking at pics and videos yesterday to see what color the cargo compartment really is when the interior is Light Stone. It's looking to me like the cargo compartment color is exactly the same for every Escape, no matter what the interior (or exterior) color is.

I might stop by a dealer today to verify with my own eyeballs. - Do you, or does anyone have the tan cargo liner and if so, how does it look in the gray compartment??

I have yet to see a stone interior. Ours is all charcoal.

Interesting you should ask this as I saw a Weather Tech commercial this morning while watching the F1 race and they showed tan liners in a black interior and black liners in a tan interior. I suspect this was for contrast so that you could actually see the product in its native environment. I have to admit I wasn't offended by either color combo (but then again you haven't seen how I dress myself).

It looks like the door panels are two tone in the stone interior, and it appears from these pics that the sides and floor of the cargo area are the same color as in the charcoal interior. I think you'll be OK either way.

post-48280-0-33432000-1348431867_thumb.jpg

post-48280-0-83715400-1348431874_thumb.jpg

Pillboy, is the attached photo of the cargo area from a 2013 Escape? Can anyone give me approximate dimensions of the cargo area? I'm looking at options for a liner that covers the cargo area floor as well as the back of the back seats when up or folded down.

This http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_auto_5 looks like a possible option, and is pretty cheap to boot ~$45). This http://www.autosport...p&pid=238&cid=4 is supposed to be custom fit, but is also much more expensive (~$160).

Pillboy, is the attached photo of the cargo area from a 2013 Escape? Can anyone give me approximate dimensions of the cargo area? I'm looking at options for a liner that covers the cargo area floor as well as the back of the back seats when up or folded down.

This http://www.amazon.co..._sim_sbs_auto_5 looks like a possible option, and is pretty cheap to boot ~$45). This http://www.autosport...p&pid=238&cid=4 is supposed to be custom fit, but is also much more expensive (~$160).

The pic is from a Google image search and is of the 2013 Escape cargo area. The width is 40 inches and the depth from front to back, in the center is 33.5 inches, and the outboard edges are a couple inches shorter as the rear of the area is curved. The distance from the floor to the top of the rear seat back is 19 inches. Hope that helps.