2013 Escape Leaking Roof

Well, my radio quit working for a while tonight. It appeared to turn on but locked onto frquency '106.5' and couldn't be tuned to anything else no matter what I tried. It would turn on and off, but that's it

Turned the car off, let it sit for a few minutes, then it came back on.

Boy, some of you are really trying to create a conspiracy here. Let's see, based on information compiled here and at the Edmunds forum, so far there are reports of what, three, or four leaking roofs. A problem if you have one, but far from wide spread. And robots don't know what day it is.

Well said, I agree!

Conspiracy, innuendo, skull-duggery, tom-foolery, a$$-hattery...these are all required in a car forum. Didn't you guys read the fine print when you signed up?

And speaking of fine print...PJ, you have to get a handle on your font sizes when you cut and paste.

Edited by pillboy

Go back up to Blue Oval Forums index, then down to Ford Employee Forum, and Vehicle Locator By Ford Employees. Read the rules, and post your data. They'll answer you once a week.

Once you have your VIN, you can get your window sticker (when it's available), and on it is the BLEND (build) date.

Thanks PJ. My window sticker just showed up. I wouldn't have known the number above the word BLEND was a date without your comment, above. Looks like Tuesday for me - hopefully a good day for the "caulkers".

I have the mysterious leak too. The dealer did a water test and says there is no leak. However, both times it has rained (only had car 9 days) the fabric above the plastic on the post between the windshield and the door gets soaked inside. No water anywhere else.

Yesterday I took a garden hose and flooded the roof around the roof rack and the windshield and no water got it. Waiting for next rain to see what happens.

I do NOT have sun roof.

You can easily stripe out the threads on the oil pan. The are no longer steel. Changing the crush washer is as important.Filters usually don't have a torque value was the filter adapter would thrown that value off.Service manuals usually state a half or three quarter turn past seating.

Edited by blockisle9

I took my cross bars off, but I plugged the holes with nylon bolts. The roof rails have to be hollow. If the holes are left open, maybe rain water is getting into the inside of the rails when the car is driven and then leaking into the inside of the roof cavity. Just a thought. I have hand washed ours, but have yet to drive it in the rain.

I have removed my cross bars and have not plugged the holes. Last week while driving through Louisiana and Mississippi, I encountered 7 hours of steady downpour, once it was raining so hard I had to pull off the road. No water leaked into my car. I understand where you are coming from here with X-bars and misaligned doors. As we all know, water seeks it's own level, flows down hill and travels the path of least resistance. This water may be entering the car a a location no one would expect and flowing to the front.

I have removed my cross rail bars from day one (in July) and have not had any leaks.

Added: I didn't plug the holes with anything, but would like to find some silver plugs similar to what they are already using (part not available seperately according to the Ford computer)

Edited by svtenthusiast

PillBoy,

Where/what did you get to plug the holes?

I just bought some M6 (1.0 pitch) X 10mm white, nylon hex-head bolts off eBay (just search "M6 nylon bolt" - there are still listings). They came from China (pretty quickly too). I originally got some stainless steel ones from the local hardware store but decided I was gonna have to Loctite them in as I did not want them working themselves loose and taking a trip across the paint on the roof at highway speed. I am happy with the fit and I was able to tighten them sufficiently so I am not worried about them coming out (and I doubt they would damage the paint if they did). The factory Torx-head fasteners (the ones withOUT the wings) did have thread locker applied to them. The white nylon blends well with the silver roof rails and no one will ever notice them.

Edited by pillboy

• 4 weeks later...

Based upon all that I was reading about roof leaks, I put Titanium with roof rack and sunroof outside on the driveway because it was raining. Sure enough in the morning, there was water on the driver's seat and a leak coming out of the pillar just where other people have described it. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was the caulking around the front window and they could see where the water was coming in. They had a glass person come and recaulk it. Still leaked. Now they are taking out the windshield and checking the welding. I will see if that does anything but from what I have been reading, it doesn't. Will report on what happens but would appreciate learning if anything that the dealer did fixed the issue for any of you out there. Manufactured 6/12/12

Edited by Ford Escaper